Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 235 - Jones vs Smith, Woodley vs Usman - Sat March 2nd

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

robbie said in the press conference after that askren had his arm around an ear and he never heard herb calling him. he also said it was unfortunate but he isnt going to get to worked up over it

people will argue over it for ages but put yourself in herbs shoes. does he have the view that people at home have? he is responsible for the 2 fighters lives regardless of what anyone else says herb thought he was out so as a ref he has to do what he believes is in the best interest of the fighter. he made a decision in a split second. cut the guy some slack been a ref is a very hard job and even more so on such a big stage with millions watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Beersmith wrote: »
    Robbie wasn't intelligently defending himself (along with clearly being out for at least a brief moment) so it's over.

He was very intelligently defending himself unless he was unconscious. There was a vicious joke and he was being cool and calm. "Intelligently defending yourself" doesn't mean flailing around like a spanner to show you're not out. It would be different if he was getting pounded.

Annnnnnnyyyyyywaayyyyyyy, regardless of how right the stoppage was, what do people think of Askren's position in the UFC elite? He's probably further from the title then I thought he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I actually disagree. A couple of wins for Askren and it's a title shot for him. Had the fight won against Lawler regardless of the early stoppage I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

If he does fight Darren Till next I think he beats him. Hard to deny him the shot then, weather he beats Marty or not is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Where does it leave Lawler? Time to call it a day or keep fighting? He's had a pretty long career, can't be great for his long term health to keep going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He was very intelligently defending himself unless he was unconscious. There was a vicious joke and he was being cool and calm. "Intelligently defending yourself" doesn't mean flailing around like a spanner to show you're not out. It would be different if he was getting pounded.

Completely agree.
    Intelligently defending applies to strikes not strangles. A strangle stops the fight when they go out or they tap. Not when they stop defending well.

Personally I don't think he was defending the choke at all. We've no way of knowing if it was on or not either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Here's an excellent Gracie Breakdown talking about Lawlor v Askren. Let's let the experts have the final say!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR2Tnlz4I-9F2xncnCvEkiBNVFE215M-VNEnRNKM-73NOBnbeZ1KjDvMOzk&v=V4-fBRkyxJw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Here's an excellent Gracie Breakdown talking about Lawlor v Askren. Let's let the experts have the final say!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR2Tnlz4I-9F2xncnCvEkiBNVFE215M-VNEnRNKM-73NOBnbeZ1KjDvMOzk&v=V4-fBRkyxJw

Spot on really, Robbie wasn't getting out of that position.

Why is it always Ryron getting submitted in these :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

ASOT wrote: »
    Spot on really, Robbie wasn't getting out of that position.

Why is it always Ryron getting submitted in these :pac:
    Really bad luck?
    Rener is also very good at talking to the camera so could be that, natural charisma etc.

I think Askren goes through Till easy enough, he'd struggle with Marty though.
    One thing we now know though is he has one hell of a chin on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Really bad luck?
    Rener is also very good at talking to the camera so could be that, natural charisma etc.

I think Askren goes through Till easy enough, he'd struggle with Marty though.
    One thing we now know though is he has one hell of a chin on him.

Yeah to be fair i could listen to Rener all day, the breakdowns are class and makes certain situations alot more accessible and understandable for everyone!

Askren deserves major props from coming back from that slam and beating, he also showed that once he gets a hold of you it's game over. I'm dying to see his next fight anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Whelo79 wrote: »

Sum's it up really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The outrageous overhead slam in the Askren fight made me instantly think of this, one of the strangest knockouts ever....

oYppVZM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It's a load of crap that TV3/Virgin lost the replay rights. 99% of the population have TV3/Virgin versus whatever BT Sport have, not more than 10% surely? Probably about 5%.

They really should have UFC replays on a national station. It's on in the middle of the night live as is. That's not a way to grow the sport or gain new fans imo.

It's a load of crap that TV3/Virgin lost the replay rights. 99% of the population have TV3/Virgin versus whatever BT Sport have, not more than 10% surely? Probably about 5%.

They really should have UFC replays on a national station. It's on in the middle of the night live as is. That's not a way to grow the sport or gain new fans imo.

Are you serious....
    Give away content for free rather than making money off it??? not sure that idea will catch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Are you serious....
    Give away content for free rather than making money off it??? not sure that idea will catch on.

It's not free, the station pays for it. Same way it pays for most of it's programming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Effects wrote: »
    It's not free, the station pays for it. Same way it pays for most of it's programming.

Yeah but they decided to stop paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

It's not the GAA. They have a solid fanbase in Ireland, the sports biggest ever star is from Ireland, whenever they come here the tickets are snapped up instantly. They've taken this country as far as it'll go, I doubt they're arsed about how many more people can watch it. BT is a good home for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Not that hard to understand.

Obviously the viewership they were getting didn't justify the price they were being quoted to show it.

It's very hard to watch full fights non-live after knowing the results.. (especially if it's a decision)

The sport isn't massive in Ireland
    It's very popular with a certain demographic.
    Having UFC235 on Tv3 at 9bells on a Sunday evening would pull in seriously low numbers. I'd say <10,000 (just a random guess)

Once the fight is done the results are all over social media and in some mainstream news outlets so trying to stay away from that for 15hours or so isn't going to help with the viewership

Advertisement