Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 235 - Jones vs Smith, Woodley vs Usman - Sat March 2nd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Smith completely out of his depth there and utterly outclassed, but that’s no surprise.

Looking forward to the day Jones gets his head knocked off, and it will come at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Jones putting on the good guy act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

hefferboi wrote: »
    Jones putting on the good guy act

The "Jesus is my homeboy" "good guy" jones is the most disgusting act ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Just when you think you can't hate Jones more than you do he puts on a boring fight against someone out of their depth, commits 2 fouls that could easily end in a DQ all the while his corner actively called for him to "go to the back of the head" when he has Smith's back.

I think it might not be just Jones who looks to fight dirty but also his trainers aswell. I don't know if Jones' scumbag like behaviour rubs off on them or if it's the other way around...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Well, as we suspected he had absolutely nothing for Jones. But fair play to him for finishing the fight. I expected him to last 2 rounds at most.

I have such an ambivalence towards JJ. On the one hand, he is just an incredible fighter. He has absolutely everything you could ask for, from incredible skills to a great gas tank, very high fight IQ and freakish physical advantages. On the other hand he is just a filthy fighter in the ring (eye pokes, kicks and knees to downed opponents etc.) And as for outside the ring......

Still a very enjoyable card overall. B+ from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

martyos121 wrote: »
    Looking forward to the day Jones gets his head knocked off, and it will come at some point.

I really hope so but it's years away possibly

He's so fake right now same as ever

Give him Brock Lesnar. Forget Cormier, the UFC want it for business reasons and Jones needs to be mauled to humble him. I'm pretty sure DC wouldn't mind, just as long as Brock gets the job done. It might be the first time MMA fans cheer on the WWE star rather than the UFC star.

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Give him Brock Lesnar. Forget Cormier, the UFC want it for business reasons and Jones needs to be mauled to humble him. I'm pretty sure DC wouldn't mind, just as long as Brock gets the job done. It might be the first time MMA fans cheer on the WWE star rather than the UFC star.

Lesner isn't beating Jones, don't be daft.

Lesner isn't beating anyone at light heavyweight or heavyweight who has even decent wrestling.

Lesner isn't beating Jones, don't be daft.

Lesner isn't beating anyone at light heavyweight or heavyweight who has even decent wrestling.

I won't even argue with ya. Lesnar right now won't beat anyone. But give him the Juice and he will. ;)

Fook it let them both juice themselves to the gills and atleast give the fans a decent scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I won't even argue with ya. Lesnar right now won't beat anyone. But give him the Juice and he will. ;)

Fook it let them both juice themselves to the gills and atleast give the fans a decent scrap.

A juiced up Jones beats a juiced up Lesnar every single time. A clean Jones probably even beats a juiced up Lesnar, because the technique in every he does is absolutely miles ahead of him, even if he’s giving up a lot of strength. It’d be a closer fight though.

• Advertisement

No, he won't.

The sport has moved on so far he'd be hammered by anyone in the top 5 of UFC or Bellator right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

mangobob wrote: »
    This is the Woodley I remember from the first Wonderboy fight. Except even more hesitant. Total and utter domination. Really was not expecting this. Brilliant from Usman.

The Woodley who absolutely floored Wonderboy twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dana making noises about running Askren-Lawler again apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Dana making noises about running Askren-Lawler again apparently

No surprise there. They hate each others guts and whilst it was funny to see Askren openly mocking Dana in the cage afterwards, he really is condemning himself to the hardest possible run to the title imaginable.

I see a Lawler rematch, or Askren vs Woodley next. Dana's 2 least favourite fighters against each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

DrPhilG wrote: »
    No surprise there. They hate each others guts and whilst it was funny to see Askren openly mocking Dana in the cage afterwards, he really is condemning himself to the hardest possible run to the title imaginable.

I see a Lawler rematch, or Askren vs Woodley next. Dana's 2 least favourite fighters against each other.

Askren-Woodley will never happen.

They say "never say never" but I'm sticking with 'never'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

great card the best in a while.

imo smith made the right decision not taking the DQ. it would of just caused a rematch and jones would have beat fcuk out of him for another 5 rounds and everyone would end up slating smith over it. surprised he lasted the 5 but he never had anything for jones. still think jones is scum of the earth and so fake with the god stuff.

usman was unbelievable. i thought he had nothing for woodley but he proved it tonight. woodley looked lost in there, corner kept trying to get him going but it was like he was asleep. would like to see a rematch and tbh seeming as woodley held the belt for so long he should get it. that been said aint no way dana lets that happen:rolleyes:

i thought askren was done in the opening exchanges and then getting dropped on his head ouch.....! that was a very tough call for herb, arm looked limp and asked robbie to respond a few times with no reply. that choke was in deep very little chance of robbie escaping. i am ok with the stoppage but can see how people wouldnt be.

walker won in style again and while i sit on the hype train about him i cant help but wonder what his cardio is like? less than 3 mins total fighting over 3 fights. whats he like past the 1st round???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Askren-Woodley will never happen.

They say "never say never" but I'm sticking with 'never'.

Ah wait, they're training partners are they?

OK scratch that prediction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What a night I picked to fall asleep on the couch before the prelims even started, never recorded it either!

I see Zabit won decision, was he impressive? Him v Aldo would be a good contender fight whilst max is busy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭JitzNdHitz

What a night I picked to fall asleep on the couch before the prelims even started, never recorded it either!

I see Zabit won decision, was he impressive? Him v Aldo would be a good contender fight whilst max is busy.

Not as good as we've seen him to be but got the job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don’t think Herb Dean can be criticized...

Lawler’s body language said he was in real trouble..

Anyway, Lawler has Askrin gone. Then he seems to just do nothing and he gets submitted..Askrin ponderously walking Lawler down, and Lawler unable to strike him...very odd. Was Lawler too tired?

walshb wrote: »
    I don’t think Herb Dean can be criticized...

Lawler’s body language said he was in real trouble..

Anyway, Lawler has Askrin gone. Then he seems to just do nothing and he gets submitted..Askrin ponderously walking Lawler down, and Lawler unable to strike him...very odd. Was Lawler too tired?

He was striking him. Ben has a chin. 100% right decision choke is in tight and Herb doesn't know if he's gone or not. He asks Robbie to respond and it takes 3 shouts then checks his hand which is limp. There is no arguement. Fighter welfare first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

JitzNdHitz wrote: »
    He was striking him. Ben has a chin. 100% right decision choke is in tight and Herb doesn't know if he's gone or not. He asks Robbie to respond and it takes 3 shouts then checks his hand which is limp. There is no arguement. Fighter welfare first and foremost.

Can someone who knows more tell me would he be able to actually talk with the way askrens arm looked to be across his jaw rather than under it?

Can someone who knows more tell me would he be able to actually talk with the way askrens arm looked to be across his jaw rather than under it?

He can talk when herb first called until Ben rotated. Its a bulldog choke that's attacking either side of his neck and which would eventually put you to sleep. It's quite sore too. He definitely could of given a sign he was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

The Woodley who absolutely floored Wonderboy twice?

Hence the "only more hesitant" part of my comment. In both fights Woodley barely fired a shot. The only difference is that the few shots he fired against Wonderboy landed. The ones against Usman didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Robbie could've given a thumbs up. Not sure if he would've gotten out of it anyway.

The Nal wrote: »
    Robbie could've given a thumbs up. Not sure if he would've gotten out of it anyway.

Yeah usually a strong arm posted up right will be acknowledged by herb. That was a very tight choke. I can't see him getting out of it till Ben decides, as it's fit onto the neck like a clamp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

In the replay you can see him give the thumbs up. He lifts his arm up and pulls it under his body and gives a thumbs up. Not very visible.

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    In the replay you can see him give the thumbs up. He lifts his arm up and pulls it under his body and gives a thumbs up. Not very visible.

Really? Can you send link. I haven't been able to see any response from Robbie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Advertisement