Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm delighted with the news on Mathewson. If McCarthy and/or Casey/Stafford can step up during the RWC, Munster can let Mathewson walk after the RWC. If they don't, then perhaps Mathewson can be retained for the season as Botha and Cloete will be the only other NIEs on the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I'm delighted with the news on Mathewson. If McCarthy and/or Casey/Stafford can step up during the RWC, Munster can let Mathewson walk after the RWC. If they don't, then perhaps Mathewson can be retained for the season as Botha and Cloete will be the only other NIEs on the books.

Are Kleyn and Marshall qualified before/after RWC?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Eod100 wrote: »
    Are Kleyn and Marshall qualified before/after RWC?

Kleyn in August and Marsall in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,185 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I reckon O'Mahony will be picked up fairly quickly. William's may retire.
    Taute will leave now. He's buried. He was very good last season. Shame he was injured.

Kleyn in August and Marsall in November.

Ah cheers. Looks like a fairly full squad so doubt we will see anyone else coming in besides McCarthy.

• Advertisement

I'd like to think ROM will have offers. He's a solid dirtracker but his recent injury history isn't great.

troyzer wrote: »
    Sure he was under contract with Leinster too, didn't stop him leaving.

He'll be back. ;)

He could well be and ye can thank of for his development sure :P

Sexton 34 this July, wonder does this signing mean he might play on until Lions Tour in 2021. Or equally have no bearing whatsoever on when he's due to retire..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That's great news about Mathewson. I'd start him ahead of Murray this weekend because his form is way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

He could well be and ye can thank of for his development sure :P

Sexton 34 this July, wonder does this signing mean he might play on until Lions Tour in 2021. Or equally have no bearing whatsoever on when he's due to retire..

I think the whole point of his extension was to make the 2021 Lions tour. We'll see.
    Yeah_Right wrote: »
    That's great news about Mathewson. I'd start him ahead of Murray this weekend because his form is way better.

Yup.

troyzer wrote: »
    I think the whole point of his extension was to make the 2021 Lions tour. We'll see.

Ah yeah, forgot he signed extension already to 2020/2021.

Interesting that Carbery extension is another 2 years a year out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yeah_Right wrote: »

100%. It would even be a straight forward decision.

razorblunt wrote: »
    100%. It would even be a straight forward decision.

Has Mathewson played along Carbery often? Was reading that Murray and Carvery have only started together 4 times so with Murray's injury, they could potentially have more starts together

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

That’s some great news to get going into this huge weekend. Hopefully the squad can continue to develop and continue to compete for trophies.

Still think it’s the coaching ticket that needs to be looked at. That’s an argument for another day however.

Friday needs to hurry on so I can get on that plane to Edinburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Purist98

Matt More has left the academy and returned to South Africa

Kevin O'Byrne 2020
    Rhys Marshall 2021
    Niall Scannell 2021

Diarmuid Barron Year 1
    Eoghan Clarke Year 1

James Cronin 2021
    Dave Kilcoyne 2020
    Liam O'Connor 2020
    Jeremy Loughman 2020

James French Year 1
    Josh Wycherley Year 1

Stephen Archer 2020
    John Ryan 2022
    Brian Scott 2020
    Ciaran Parker 2020

Keynan Knox Year 3 & 2022

Tadhg Beirne 2020
    Billy Holland 2020
    Jean Kleyn 2022
    Sean O'Connor 2020
    Darren O'Shea 2020
    Fineen Wycherley 2021

Thomas Ahern Year 1

Arno Botha 2020
    Gavin Coombes 2021
    Chris Cloete 2022
    Dave O'Callaghan 2019
    Tommy O'Donnell 2021
    Jack O'Donoghue 2021
    Peter O'Mahony 2021
    Conor Oliver 2020
    CJ Stander 2021

Jack Daly Year 1
    Jack O'Sullivan Year 2

Neil Cronin 2021
    Nick McCarthy 2021
    James Hart 2019
    Alby Mathewson Nov 2019
    Conor Murray 2022
    Duncan Williams 2019

Craig Casey Year 2
    Jack Stafford Year 2

Tyler Bleyendaal 2021
    Joey Carbery 2022
    JJ Hanrahan 2021
    Bill Johnston 2020

Ben Healy Year 1
    Alan Tynan Year 2

Sam Arnold 2020
    Shane Daly 2021
    Chris Farrell 2022
    Dan Goggin 2020
    Rory Scannell 2021
    Jaco Taute 2019

Sean French Year 1
    Alex McHenry Year 2

Andrew Conway 2020
    Keith Earls 2021
    Mike Haley 2021
    Ronan O'Mahony 2019
    Calvin Nash 2021
    Darren Sweetnam 2021
    Alex Wootton 2021

Liam Coombes Year 2
    James McCarthy Year 2
    Jonathan Wren Year 1

2019/20 Movements:
    IN: Nick McCarthy (SH, Leinster)
    OUT: Mike Sherry (HK, Gloucester/TBC), Ian Keatley (FH, Benetton), Matt More (CT, South Africa), Stephen Fitzgerald (FB, Connacht/TBC)

2019/20 NIEs:
    Arno Botha (capped), Chris Cloete (uncapped), Alby Mathewson (capped)

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Surely the thread can be called "Alby there for you" now...? (At least until November)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

mimimcmc wrote: »
    Surely the thread can be called "Alby there for you" now...? (At least until November)

Alby should do his own version of "Gone Till November"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI6MWZrl8v8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Duncan Williams double tackle and Billy Hollands lineout steal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have a bad feeling about Saturday. The result will define our season. Dont think people are giving Edinburgh enough credit and they could ambush us esp playing in Murrayfield

Personally I think if we do get over Edinburgh were not strong enough too beat Saracens (if they win there qf)

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Have a bad feeling about Saturday. The result will define our season. Dont think people are giving Edinburgh enough credit and they could ambush us esp playing in Murrayfield

Personally I think if we do get over Edinburgh were not strong enough too beat Saracens (if they win there qf)

Haven't seen many if any say it won't be 50/50 or tight. They're a very good team and have great record at home. Will have our work cut out definitely. It shouldn't be an excuse but for some reason games with early kos haven't been great for us and this is even earlier again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I'd like to think ROM will have offers. He's a solid dirtracker but his recent injury history isn't great.

Wasn’t he supposed to have been signed by a French club?? Can’t remember which one but down south ish I think?

solerina wrote: »
    Wasn’t he supposed to have been signed by a French club?? Can’t remember which one but down south ish I think?

Hart and DOC were reported to be going to Biarritz. I haven't seen news about ROM.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Haven't seen many if any say it won't be 50/50 or tight. They're a very good team and have great record at home. Will have our work cut out definitely. It shouldn't be an excuse but for some reason games with early kos haven't been great for us and this is even earlier again.

No Champions Cup away 1/4 Final will ever be easy, and this is no exception.

Edinburgh are tough opponents and I'm not that optimistic at this point tbh.

p.s. That loss away to Castres is haunting us.

I'm reasonably confident as Munster are playing with almost a full deck. Of the few injured players only Cronin and TOD would make the 23 and in the absence of Cronin we have seen Loughman step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

No Champions Cup away 1/4 Final will ever be easy, and this is no exception.

that's true but the news that Munster estimate 15,000 Munster fans will be there makes it not your average away game

Riskymove wrote: »
    that's true but the news that Munster estimate 15,000 Munster fans will be there makes it not your average away game

Might be 40000 people there so that really doesn't make much difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Riskymove wrote: »

And Munster are the bookies' favourites, also unusual for a European QF.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Might be 40000 people there so that really doesn't make much difference.

So you think that having nearly half the crowd in the away teams stadium won't make a difference? Remembering that most of Edinburghs fans will be day trippers who probably haven't been there since their last quarter final 7 years ago.

Advertisement