Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Id hope to see a few Irish players involved. Bierne & Stander havnt played alot so could start regardless of starting last weekend.

Loughman, Scannell, Ryan, Kleyn, Bierne, Wycherley, Cloete, Stander;
    Matthewson, Tyler, Sweetnam, Scannell, Farrell, Conway, Haley

Marshall, Killer, Archer, Billy, JOD, Cronin, Johnston, Whooton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Id hope to see a few Irish players involved. Bierne & Stander havnt played alot so could start regardless of starting last weekend.

Loughman, Scannell, Ryan, Kleyn, Bierne, Wycherley, Cloete, Stander;
    Matthewson, Tyler, Sweetnam, Scannell, Farrell, Conway, Haley

Marshall, Killer, Archer, Billy, JOD, Cronin, Johnston, Whooton

I'd sooner put CJ on the bench. Give him some time to keep him ticking over but save him for Edinbourgh. Plus I'm sure JOD will be dying for more minutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lads, nobody involved with the Ireland camp last weekend will be playing. They'll all be on a down week. Kilcoyne posted an instragram video of himself and Murray on a beach somewhere sunny.

The update did say only Carbery and Farrell were released back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Wasn't POM MOTM in two of our games? Whatever about the stock people place in that... the fact that he was even in the running for it says a lot. Didn't he have a rib injury going into the tournament too? I don't think anyone bar Earls and Ryan could hold their heads up after the Wales game but POM had a fine tournament apart from that particular match I thought.

Stander played most of the first match with a serious enough facial injury, had a great game against France and was pretty much par for the course (a big 'meh') against Wales along with everyone else.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Murray's issue is due to injury. This is the only dip I can think of in his career, hopefully it'll be resolved for when he's back to us but you'd wonder. Will be interesting to see how he goes, Matthewson is an able deputy if Murray needs to be pulled ashore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Edinburgh hoping to break record of attendance at a CC qf in UK. Saracens broke record Edinburgh set by 6 apparently..! http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/19/03/19/news-attendance-record-sight-quarter-final

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

leakyboots wrote: »
    Wasn't POM MOTM in two of our games? Whatever about the stock people place in that... the fact that he was even in the running for it says a lot.

Genuinely don't understand some of the flack POM receives around these parts. People seem to see bare stats and go to town on him.
    I wouldn't be surprised to hear Murray's issue is due to injury. This is the only dip I can think of in his career, hopefully it'll be resolved for when he's back to us but you'd wonder. Will be interesting to see how he goes, Matthewson is an able deputy if Murray needs to be pulled ashore.

Agreed, he's pretty much been on a constant upward trajectory since getting into the Ireland squad for the 2011 RWC. (Even within that tournament, he came in as 3rd choice ahead of Tomas O'Leary, and finished the tournament as the starting 9, iirc).

It's his first sustained period of poor form I think; hopefully he can bounce back, he's so class for us when on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Wasn't POM MOTM in two of our games? Whatever about the stock people place in that... the fact that he was even in the running for it says a lot. Didn't he have a rib injury going into the tournament too? I don't think anyone bar Earls and Ryan could hold their heads up after the Wales game but POM had a fine tournament apart from that particular match I thought.

Stander played most of the first match with a serious enough facial injury, had a great game against France and was pretty much par for the course (a big 'meh') against Wales along with everyone else.

He was, he had a good tournament. Not outstanding but definitely not poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

yerrahbah wrote: »
    He was, he had a good tournament. Not outstanding but definitely not poor.

It was his worst tournament in years. Nearly everyone had a bad tournament. The only starters who have probably raised their stock would be Ryan, Ringrose and Earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Furlong did his job too, minced the Welsh scrum, but for bad officiating......

we are not in as a bad a place as we think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

aloooof wrote: »
    Genuinely don't understand some of the flack POM receives around these parts. People seem to see bare stats and go to town on him.

Agreed, he's pretty much been on a constant upward trajectory since getting into the Ireland squad for the 2011 RWC. (Even within that tournament, he came in as 3rd choice ahead of Tomas O'Leary, and finished the tournament as the starting 9, iirc).

It's his first sustained period of poor form I think; hopefully he can bounce back, he's so class for us when on form.

Hopefully Murray will regain form, but we saw with Healy when he suffered nerve damage it can take quite a while. If the inaccuracy in Murray’s pass is because of a physical impediment, it may take a long time for the physio’s to work around it. Not sure what’s up with his kicking though, not sure why a shoulder injury would affect that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

troyzer wrote: »
    It was his worst tournament in years. Nearly everyone had a bad tournament. The only starters who have probably raised their stock would be Ryan, Ringrose and Earls.

I doubt any Irish player could be considered to have raised their stock during the 6Ns - those lads weren't as poor as others but that about the best you can say about them.
    stephen_n wrote: »
    Hopefully Murray will regain form, but we saw with Healy when he suffered nerve damage it can take quite a while. If the inaccuracy in Murray’s pass is because of a physical impediment, it may take a long time for the physio’s to work around it. Not sure what’s up with his kicking though, not sure why a shoulder injury would affect that.

There's a malaise around the Irish team at the moment and excuses about injuries are just that - excuses. It's possible Sexton and Murray had more individual errors this season than the combined squad in last year's 6Ns - they were terrible. Some of their decision making was poor too - Sexton's option to kick to Stockdale last Saturday was a terrible option, it's the kind of stuff that you think comes from panic.

Edit: Ooops I thought this was the Ireland Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

phog wrote: »
    I doubt any Irish player could be considered to have raised their stock during the 6Ns - those lads weren't as poor as others but that about the best you can say about them.

There's a malaise around the Irish team at the moment and excuses about injuries are just that - excuses. It's possible Sexton and Murray had more individual errors this season than the combined squad in last year's 6Ns - they were terrible. Some of their decision making was poor too - Sexton's option to kick to Stockdale last Saturday was a terrible option, it's the kind of stuff that you think comes from panic.

I think they raised their game by virtue of the fact that they didn't dip. James Ryan is exactly as good as he always is even when everyone else around him is ****e. He's not going to be as productive because there is more focus on him but his form was just as good as ever. I'd argue the same for Ringrose and Earls. Neither of them dipped this tournament, they just didn't have the pieces around them to really shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I just saw on the Connacht thread that Stephen Fitzgerald was added to their European squad so it looks like his loan was extended. Glad to see it's worked out for him.

35 seems bit on the high side. Would have thought it would be 20-25. Either way probably not the best preparation for Edinburgh match. Edinburgh playing Leinster so have a tougher test. That said presumably all their internationals will be rested too.

https://twitter.com/andymcgeady/status/1108296675532124160

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zebre conceded 61, 40, 54 and 42 in the last four games, while the margins of defeat were 33, 16, 47 and 32. Munster by 35 sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Assuming Carbery is out then whoever starts at 10 this weekend will most likely be the 10 against against Edinburgh, assuming Carbery is out then too.

For me it's either JJ or Tyler. Unfortunately neither of them have been exactly tearing up trees this season.

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Assuming Carbery is out then whoever starts at 10 this weekend will most likely be the 10 against against Edinburgh, assuming Carbery is out then too.

For me it's either JJ or Tyler. Unfortunately neither of them have been exactly tearing up trees this season.

I wonder now that Bill is added to the Cup squad could he leapfrog the other two lads if Joey is n't available, it would be a bold move and an off one given that Tyler just got a contract extension.

phog wrote: »
    I wonder now that Bill is added to the Cup squad could he leapfrog the other two lads if Joey is n't available, it would be a bold move and an off one given that Tyler just got a contract extension.

Id be a bit surprised if he did. Think its more as a precaution if Carbery is out and Tyler or JJ got injured

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Birthday coming up so being treated to trip to London for Semi Final - initially we were holding out to ensure Munster made it. But then a friend was encouraging saying to come over anyways (he's based over there). So pulled the trigger. Never considered that it would be Munster who made it and Saracens who wouldn't. Now I've to do the unthinkable and cheer for Saracens...so that we get an away Semi Final!

*facepalm

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Birthday coming up so being treated to trip to London for Semi Final - initially we were holding out to ensure Munster made it. But then a friend was encouraging saying to come over anyways (he's based over there). So pulled the trigger. Never considered that it would be Munster who made it and Saracens who wouldn't. Now I've to do the unthinkable and cheer for Saracens...so that we get an away Semi Final!

*facepalm

Chanced booking flights to Birmingham myself alright. Very cheap so I'd I don't need them feck it. Match is in Coventry so very handy. If it's any consolation, Glasgow were 13/2 when I looked the other day. Munster one should be much tighter so hopefully we get through!

• Advertisement

Edinburgh team out for their match against Leinster tomorrow night.

Barclay makes his debut. Would imagine team will change a bit between now and next week

https://twitter.com/EdinburghRugby/status/1108699780962639872

Eod100 wrote: »
    Edinburgh team out for their match against Leinster tomorrow night.

Barclay makes his debut. Would imagine team will change a bit between now and next week

https://twitter.com/EdinburghRugby/status/1108699780962639872

Also Nick Mcarthy joining Munster next season, back from injury and on bench for Leinster. Will be interesting to see how he plays

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

The Edinburgh backrow is class!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

mogwai81 wrote: »
    The Edinburgh backrow is class!

It's actually a decent side throughout.
    Johnston in the center has been very decent lately too but it will be interesting to see how Matt Scott fares too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Keyboard warriors
    Should be a nice surprise when a few guards knock at their door

Must have been fairly serious if gardai involved. Know it happens in the UK but didn't think we had laws like that, maybe it's harassment if it was going on for a while. Good to remind people that tweets and messages have real life consequences though

Ah the keyboard warriors - I hope they're found out and dealt with accordingly.

Munster: Mike Haley; Darren Sweetnam, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Alex Wootton; JJ Hanrahan, Alby Mathewson; Jeremy Loughman, Rhys Marshall, Stephen Archer; Fineen Wycherley, Darren O’Shea; Jack O’Donoghue, Chris Cloete, CJ Stander (C).

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Liam O’Connor, John Ryan, Jean Kleyn, Arno Botha, Duncan Williams, Tyler Bleyendaal, Chris Farrell.

• Advertisement

Strong team out. Stander starts. Niall Scannell, John Ryan and Chris Farrell in 23.

Mike Haley; Darren Sweetnam, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Alex Wootton; JJ Hanrahan, Alby Mathewson; Jeremy Loughman, Rhys Marshall, Stephen Archer; Fineen Wycherley, Darren O’Shea; Jack O’Donoghue, Chris Cloete, CJ Stander (C).

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Liam O’Connor, John Ryan, Jean Kleyn, Arno Botha, Duncan Williams, Tyler Bleyendaal, Chris Farrell.

Advertisement