Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Not bad at all, Holland will probably captain, he's a great influence on the pitch.
    You might want to swap Goggin and Arnold though :)

Holland should definitely captain that squad alright.

I’d like to see a centre partnership of 12. Goggin, 13. Scannell at some point.
    I think Goggin showed something special at the start of last season but then injury hit and he never got back to the same level.
    Scannell has pace that he rarely uses as he doesn’t have any space at 12.
    If he could play 13 and see if his skills and pace could offer another option, particularly against big rush defences, his ability to chip and chase or to be a playmaker in the wider channels could be exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I think Tyler will captain it. It's most likely Holland's last season, we need to build for the future, and JvG rates Tyler as a captain.

Caranica wrote: »
    I think Tyler will captain it. It's most likely Holland's last season, we need to build for the future, and JvG rates Tyler as a captain.

I’d prefer Holland, simply to bridge the gap until the World Cup contingent return.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I’d prefer Holland, simply to bridge the gap until the World Cup contingent return.

Beirne and Holland usually call the lineouts?
    Anybody know much about Kleyn in the lineout? My perception is Beirne, POM and CJ are the primary targets.

Beirne and Holland usually call the lineouts?
    Anybody know much about Kleyn in the lineout? My perception is Beirne, POM and CJ are the primary targets.

CJ hardly ever, he 6’1 and heavy to lift.
    It’s Beirne running the line-outs with himself and Kleyn as main targets, fairly evenly shared, with O’Mahony at the front for defensive line-outs.
    If Beirne is missing it would be Holland running the line-outs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Holland is a ****ing gun at lineouts. Supposedly spends hours upon hours of extra time pouring over other team lineouts trying to crack calls. Loves it he does.

Anyone know if the match in Cork tonight against Leinster 2nds is likely to be streamed anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6-lbcU5yiM

Still on the look out for an additional coach

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

There are protests planned for outside the game and I think if he's in the 23 it will harm ticket sales. I can't go to the game anyway but I've heard people who traditionally would say they won't if Jackson is playing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There are protests planned for outside the game and I think if he's in the 23 it will harm ticket sales. I can't go to the game anyway but I've heard people who traditionally would say they won't if Jackson is playing.

Jackson will probably be involved as it'll be a matchday 40ish rather than 23. Different teams each half and probably more subs during the second half. That's what stops me going to preseason friendlies rather than who might or might not be playing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Protesting against what though?

P.J. conducted himself very poorly after the trial for sure, and the Whatsapp stuff was pretty bad*, but he was found not guilty and shouldn't that be the end of the matter? A group of clearly outraged but unqualified people shouldn't be running a parallel kangaroo court justice system.

*Loads of similar stuff goes on on social media all the time but isn't made public.

I haven't been to that fixture since the 2012 game when Joe Ansbro broke his neck. Friday night games don't work when you live in Dublin and it's not a game worth taking a half day for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

I'd say Munster couldn't give a flying fluich about ticket sales especially since most of them were given away for free to MRSC members.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I'd say Munster couldn't give a flying fluich about ticket sales especially since most of them were given away for free to MRSC members.

Becuse they had to becuase general sales were so damn bad

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

bennyl10 wrote: »
    No more they do it for most pre season games. Ticket sales are never any good for these games

What? It's a preseason friendly. MRSC members get free entry to the pre season friendlies every year as part of the membership package.

Tickets sales for the Pro14 were actually up last season and I'd expect similar this season, so I've no idea where you're getting that info from.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Paddy Butler training with Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭bennyl10

What? It's a preseason friendly. MRSC members get free entry to the pre season friendlies every year as part of the membership package.

Tickets sales for the Pro14 were actually up last season and I'd expect similar this season, so I've no idea where you're getting that info from.

I just meant this game in particular, it has struggled to sell on general, even less than usual for a preseason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

I just meant this game in particular, it has struggled to sell on general, even less than usual for a preseason.

But as has already been pointed out, MRSC members always get free tickets for the pre-season games. Nothing has changed this year.

Do you work in the Munster Rugby ticket office with your inside knowledge?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I imagine the looming World Cup and Ireland having friendlies have more to do with ticket sales than paddy Jackson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Anatidaephobia

Where did you see this? Is he not still at Pau?

He was released along with Foley at the end of last season. There been no official announcement, but he's been seen in Munster training kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

He was training with them in Killarney on Friday. Hes still looking for a new club.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Jed Holloway signing confirmed: https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/09/09/munster-rugby-sign-jed-holloway-on-short-term-deal/

"Known for his work-rate and strong ball carrying abilities" - good to hear :)

The above also says, "In other squad news, former Munster players Paddy Butler (back row) and Peter McCabe (prop) are the latest to join the pre-season training group."

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Jed Holloway signing confirmed: https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/09/09/munster-rugby-sign-jed-holloway-on-short-term-deal/

"Known for his work-rate and strong ball carrying abilities" - good to hear :)

The above also says, "In other squad news, former Munster players Paddy Butler (back row) and Peter McCabe (prop) are the latest to join the pre-season training group."

Not sure about this signing was hoping this would be the break out year for Josser and Coombes

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Not sure about this signing was hoping this would be the break out year for Josser and Coombes

I think it's fair enough considering Munster are down back five forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Are we though ? Would of thought JOD, TOD, Botha, Coombes, cloete, j O’Sullivan, Oliver and Wycherley would of been enough cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Munster are hardly playing the cream of Europe

Dragons - Home easy
    Southern Kinds - Away easy
    Ceetahs - Away easy
    Osprey - Home Easy

Sorry update, the connacht match is a preseason. These match's should be a chance for the Munster second team and academy to get minutes.....even if full team available

It baffles me why they need these signing.....

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Are we though ? Would of thought JOD, TOD, Botha, Coombes, cloete, j O’Sullivan, Oliver and Wycherley would of been enough cover

Well the management thought we needed an extra body and Nucifora and the IRFU agreed with them.

There's plenty of experienced cover for the back row, but it'd fairly light for the second row. It's risky relying on just Holland, O'Shea and Wycherley (of whom the latter two are still pretty green) for 5 games which includes a tour to SA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jmn51927

Will primarily be a 2nd row. Holland is approaching 35 and will be hopefully crucial off the bench in the latter stages of the campaign. With regard to Fineen and O’Connor, the way to develop them is not by flogging them with minutes, saying that both will get plenty now and when JK and TB go for 6n duty and Holloway is gone they’ll get even more. Ahern O’Connor and Kelly are all still u20 this year and that will be their main area of development. A sensible signing.

Advertisement