Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭phog

Officials for Saturday's game
    Munster vs Dragons at Thomond Park, Limerick
    Referee: Ben Blaine (Scotland)
    Assistant referees: Frank Murphy (Ireland), Fin Brown (Scotland)
    Television match official: Andrew McMenemy (Scotland)
    Timekeeper: John Cole (Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A 31-man Munster squad played their part in last weekend’s final pre-season clash against Connacht and the 23-man squad to face Dragons will be named before noon on Friday.

On the injury front, Alex Wootton has stepped up his rehabilitation from a knee injury and has been introduced to limited training.

Darren Sweetnam, Sammy Arnold, Dan Goggin and Rhys Marshall have picked up knocks and their involvement on Saturday will be reviewed as the week progresses.

Continuing to rehab: Ciaran Parker (calf).

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/09/24/squad-update-team-news-ahead-of-season-opener-at-thomond-park/

Worst case scenario, we could be looking at:
    Cronin, KOB, Archer, Wycherley, Holland, Botha, TOD, JOD;
    McCarthy, JJH, Daly, Scannell, McHenry, L Coombes, Haley

Bench: Clarke/Barron, LOC, Knox, DOS, Cloete, Mathewson, Bleyendaal, Wren/Tynan

Injured: Ciaran Parker (out), Rhys Marshall (tbc), Sammy Arnold (tbc), Dan Goggin (tbc), Darren Sweetnam (tbc), Alex Wootton (out)
    RWC: Niall Scannell, Dave Kilcoyne, John Ryan, Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne, Peter O'Mahony, CJ Stander, Conor Murray, Joe Carbery, Chris Farrell, Keith Earls, Andrew Conway

We're potentially a bit light in outside backs if the knocks keep those players out. Wren and Tynan were the outside back replacements in Galway.

Edit: Cloete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Bench: Clarke/Barron, LOC, Knox, DOS, G Coombes, Mathewson, Bleyendaal, Wren/Tynan

Injured: Ciaran Parker (out), Rhys Marshall (tbc), Sammy Arnold (tbc), Dan Goggin (tbc), Darren Sweetnam (tbc), Alex Wootton (out)
    RWC: Niall Scannell, Dave Kilcoyne, John Ryan, Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne, Peter O'Mahony, CJ Stander, Conor Murray, Joe Carbery, Chris Farrell, Keith Earls, Andrew Conway

We're potentially a bit light in outside backs if the knocks keep those players out. Wren and Tynan were the outside back replacements in Galway.

I imagine Cloete and Holloway will feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jmn51927

Bench: Clarke/Barron, LOC, Knox, DOS, G Coombes, Mathewson, Bleyendaal, Wren/Tynan

Liam Coombes to sub been good in pre season. Hope JO’S in there somewhere considering coombes has played in lock this second row, but that’s probably just my fantasy and not reality

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    I imagine Cloete and Holloway will feature.

I forgot about Cloete!

JvG confirmed that Holloway will not be available for Saturday.

• Advertisement

Bench: Clarke/Barron, LOC, Knox, DOS, Cloete, Mathewson, Bleyendaal, Wren/Tynan

Edit: Cloete

I assume Jed will get a start from the bench at the least if he has arrived with a work permit

phog wrote: »
    I assume Jed will get a start from the bench at the least if he has arrived with a work permit

No work permit yet, hence he's not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

What was the score against Connacht?
    who got the yellow cards?

is there a report?, I just zipped through this thread.. thanks..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What was the score against Connacht?
    who got the yellow cards?

is there a report?, I just zipped through this thread.. thanks..
    Match Report

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

gazump123 wrote: »
    Pretty sure he is out of school

HUyT855aYUfba-iZLFJ-hg..a?ts=SKGJn0ldjE-ZXJHEAg3gRQ..a

Surely... Jeez, Okeke, O'Sullivan, Hodnett, Kendellen, Coombes.. Some serious backrow talent in Munster to come through over the next few years.

• Advertisement

hype101 wrote: »
    HUyT855aYUfba-iZLFJ-hg..a?ts=SKGJn0ldjE-ZXJHEAg3gRQ..a

Surely... Jeez, Okeke, O'Sullivan, Hodnett, Kendellen, Coombes.. Some serious backrow talent in Munster to come through over the next few years.

In four years time POM and CJ will both be 34 years old. Those names might be in line to take over by then. POM in particular will do well to last another RWC cycle with his injury history.

In four years time POM and CJ will both be 34 years old. Those names might be in line to take over by then. POM in particular will do well to last another RWC cycle with his injury history.

If you were to take some posters on this forum seriously then you'd think they did well to make any World Cup :pac: :pac: :pac:

Munster squad travelling to South Africa:

Stephen Archer, James Cronin, Keynan Knox, Jeremy Loughman, Liam O’Connor
    Diarmuid Barron, Rhys Marshall, Kevin O’Byrne
    Billy Holland, Jed Holloway, Darren O’Shea, Fineen Wycherley
    Arno Botha, Chris Cloete, Gavin Coombes, Tommy O’Donnell, Jack O’Donoghue

Neil Cronin, Alby Mathewson, Nick McCarthy
    Tyler Bleyendaal, JJ Hanrahan
    Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell
    Shane Daly, Calvin Nash, Darren Sweetnam, Mike Haley

Cheetahs first up and then the Kings. Jed Holloway travels after receiving his work permit. I was hoping Healy and/or Casey would travel but they have to settle for the Celtic Cup. Maybe they get a look in against the Ospreys in Week 4. Shane Daly travels ahead of Liam Coombes after his MOTM win, he'll also act as centre cover. Goggin available after his knock in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Munster squad travelling to South Africa:

Stephen Archer, James Cronin, Keynan Knox, Jeremy Loughman, Liam O’Connor
    Diarmuid Barron, Rhys Marshall, Kevin O’Byrne
    Billy Holland, Jed Holloway, Darren O’Shea, Fineen Wycherley
    Arno Botha, Chris Cloete, Gavin Coombes, Tommy O’Donnell, Jack O’Donoghue

Neil Cronin, Alby Mathewson, Nick McCarthy
    Tyler Bleyendaal, JJ Hanrahan
    Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell
    Shane Daly, Calvin Nash, Darren Sweetnam, Mike Haley

Cheetahs first up and then the Kings. Jed Holloway travels after receiving his work permit. I was hoping Healy and/or Casey would travel but they have to settle for the Celtic Cup. Maybe they get a look in against the Ospreys in Week 4. Shane Daly travels ahead of Liam Coombes after his MOTM win, he'll also act as centre cover. Goggin available after his knock in Galway.

Is Conor Oliver injured or has he just fallen down in the pecking order altogether?

Is Conor Oliver injured or has he just fallen down in the pecking order altogether?

Down the pecking order I think. He's in a contract year so I imagine he'll struggle to make appearances. He got injured at the wrong time and now Hodnett is pushing for his spot at openside. In his limited appearances Oliver has been good, perhaps an opportunity will appear at another province. Leinster could need depth with SOB gone, VDF established with Ireland and uncertainty around Leavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Kings are up first on the 5th and Cheetahs the week after, Ulster there at same time doing reverse of fixtures.

I see Van Grann stating he may call up more from home depending on how first game goes and availability.

Cheetahs will be strong and a tough game. The team traveled Dublin-Doha-Joburg- Port Elizabeth, seems like alot of flights and travel time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Reckon Larkham is putting a stamp on the team already. Nice to see Munster using the forwards and backs in attack and running on to the ball .

https://www.threeredkings.com/the-wally-ratings-munvdra/

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Down the pecking order I think. He's in a contract year so I imagine he'll struggle to make appearances. He got injured at the wrong time and now Hodnett is pushing for his spot at openside. In his limited appearances Oliver has been good, perhaps an opportunity will appear at another province. Leinster could need depth with SOB gone, VDF established with Ireland and uncertainty around Leavy.

And Penny having shoulder reconstruction too

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Rob Penney is the new Waratahs coach.

Munster A:
    Alan Tynan; Seán French, Alex McHenry, Jack Delaney, Liam Coombes; Ben Healy (C), Craig Casey;
    Corrie Barrett, Kieran O’Shea, Brian Scott; Seán O’Connor, Cian Hurley; Conor Oliver, Jack Daly, Jack O’Sullivan.

Replacements: Daniel O’Connor, Mark Donnelly, James Kendrick, Luke Clohessy, John Hodnett, Jack Stafford, Jack Crowley, Jamie Shanahan.

Liam Coombes and Jack O'Sullivan drop to the A side after coming off the bench against Dragons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/preview/team-named-munster-side-to-face-southern-kings-2/

Team vs the Kings

Munster: Mike Haley; Darren Sweetnam, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Shane Daly; JJ Hanrahan, Alby Mathewson; Liam O’Connor, Kevin O’Byrne, Stephen Archer; Darren O’Shea, Fineen Wycherley; Jack O’Donoghue, Tommy O’Donnell (C), Arno Botha.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, James Cronin, Jeremy Loughman, Jed Holloway, Billy Holland, Neil Cronin, Tyler Bleyendaal, Chris Cloete.

6/2 split on the bench for the second game in a row

No TH on the bench, Cronin pehaps?

Holloway to make his debut off the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

yerrahbah wrote: »
    https://www.munsterrugby.ie/preview/team-named-munster-side-to-face-southern-kings-2/

Team vs the Kings

Munster: Mike Haley; Darren Sweetnam, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Shane Daly; JJ Hanrahan, Alby Mathewson; Liam O’Connor, Kevin O’Byrne, Stephen Archer; Darren O’Shea, Fineen Wycherley; Jack O’Donoghue, Tommy O’Donnell (C), Arno Botha.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, James Cronin, Jeremy Loughman, Jed Holloway, Billy Holland, Neil Cronin, Tyler Bleyendaal, Chris Cloete.

6/2 split on the bench for the second game in a row

No TH on the bench, Cronin pehaps?

Holloway to make his debut off the bench
    Cronin and loughman can play loose and tight.

Job done and with a BP win, lots to be positive about but next week will be a much tougher test.

I like how Munster but Daly in particular can create space from nowhere - I'm hoping this is a Larkham influence and we see more of it throughout the season.

Poor Cloete is having no luck with injuries, hopefully he'll be ok after this knock he picked.

So excited for the season ahead. The offloading and interplay between the forwards and the backs has been sumptuous. Exciting times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

What’s the craic with Conor Oliver, he was with the A team instead of with seniors?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Jack O'Donoghue had a fine game I thought.. Looks like he's pack on some muscle while out as well.

hype101 wrote: »
    Jack O'Donoghue had a fine game I thought.. Looks like he's pack on some muscle while out as well.

Yeah and fairly mobile for a big lad too. Botha was a wrecking ball too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭leakyboots

So excited for the season ahead. The offloading and interplay between the forwards and the backs has been sumptuous. Exciting times!

Same here, our forwards can hold their own with most but the last few seasons our backs couldn't bail us out when needed. We look to be going in the right direction.

Funnily enough I see big parallels between Ireland and Munster in terms of playing style - both teams lack invention in the backs when they can't run over teams.

Very excited to see what Larkham brings, Cheetahs next weekend will be a nice early season barometer

• Advertisement

leakyboots wrote: »
    Same here, our forwards can hold their own with most but the last few seasons our backs couldn't bail us out when needed. We look to be going in the right direction.

Funnily enough I see big parallels between Ireland and Munster in terms of playing style - both teams lack invention in the backs when they can't run over teams.

Very excited to see what Larkham brings, Cheetahs next weekend will be a nice early season barometer

As far as the Irish game wen, I literally think it's a combination of the weather and not wanting to show too much.

As far as Munster lacking creativity in the backs, yeah for sure, but then you could literally draw a line between the forwards and the backs in Munster under Keatley. I still remember that game in Ravenhill where we mangled Ulster and then our backs would ruin every opportunity.

What we're seeing so far this season is the backs getting on in on line breaks etc. I'm surprised at how we're going, the handling by the forwards has been brilliant, who would have thought that before the season kicked off.

Cheetas will be a very tough game though. They vaporized Ulster.

Advertisement