Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Do you throw Gallagher in at full back against Leinster?

I'd be more inclined to start Conway there, plenty of options to start on the wing in his place

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

we get it, you are a ref.
    wow thats petty.
    yerrahbah wrote: »
    Do you throw Gallagher in at full back against Leinster?

I'd be more inclined to start Conway there, plenty of options to start on the wing in his place
    I would start Gallagher. He's signed to start bigger games as full back so why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

38 senior players are currently training along with 7 academy players. The focus will probably to get as much minutes as possible into the top 23-25 players to have them match fit for the playoffs.

Kilcoyne, Scannell, Ryan, Kleyn, Snyman, JOD, POM, Stander;
    Murray, JJH, Earls, DDA, Farrell, Conway, Gallagher

Marshall, Loughman, Archer, Wycherley, Cloete, Healy, Scannell

Injured: Salanoa, Beirne, Carbery, Goggin, Haley

wow thats petty.

I would start Gallagher. He's signed to start bigger games as full back so why not?

I guess my reasoning would be hes only here a few weeks, you're going up against one of the best teams in Europe and fullback is a position where you would need to be in constant communication with your wingers.

Id have no problem with Gallagher starting, was only thinking out loud.

I think the battle between himself and Haley this season will be interesting

You're missing a sub scrum half (I'd pick Casey)

Personally I'd have O'Byrne ahead of Marshall and Daly ahead of R.Scannell

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Pretty much exactly the team I'd go for as well, with TOD ahead of Cloete. Sweetnam in with a shout of the 23 jersey as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Injured: Salanoa, Beirne, Carbery, Goggin, Haley

My take:

Kilcoyne
    Scannell
    Ryan
    Kleyn
    Snyman
    Cloete - With the change in interpretation of the breakdown Cloete could be a turnover machine again
    POM
    Stander

Murray
    JJH
    Earls
    DDA
    Farrell
    Conway
    Gallagher

O'Brien - Form at the start of last season deserves it
    Loughman
    Knox - Alot of good things being said about him, I can see Johan backing youth more this season with the expanded gameplan
    Wycherley - I could see Holland getting this spot and as much as I love the man and appriciate the value of experience on the bench, Id be disapointed if Johan isnt looking to move Wycherley forward sooner.
    JOD - Straight swap for Colete
    Casey
    Scannell - Covering 10 & Centre
    Daly - Scannell provides flexibility to have a back 3 player here - Sweetnam could be a shout here too.

You might be right on Scannell providing bench cover to JJ, however with all three academy 10s training with the seniors I imagine opportunities will be given to one of them.

Flyhalf aside due to injury, I'd be surprised if there's many opportunities given to youngsters before 2020/21. JvG will be under pressure to deliver with the best squad Munster has on paper for a long time and winning the Pro14 would be a boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,038 ✭✭✭✭phog

phog wrote: »
    Not great news for MR squad

Hopefully the player in question is ok as it mentioned he developed symptoms. They've identified the potential close contacts who are now away from the squad and will get tested as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭bennyl10

"The player involved has not been in the High Performance Centre this week and the HSE have confirmed that the training group are not considered as close contacts."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

This must cast a question mark over next weeks fixture going ahead unfortunately. Unless the source of the infection can be found and the entire first team and staff tested and passed it’s hard to see how the opposition are going to be comfortable playing them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

This must cast a question mark over next weeks fixture going ahead unfortunately. Unless the source of the infection can be found and the entire first team and staff tested and passed it’s hard to see how the opposition are going to be comfortable playing them.

Try reading the article. The whole squad is due to be tested next Monday anyway and the squad aren't considered to be close contacts.

none of the training group are close contacts, shouldn't be any worry for the game

Try reading the article. The whole squad is due to be tested next Monday anyway and the squad aren't considered to be close contacts.

I read the article and it doesn’t look good, for me it raises more questions than answers.
    What has the player done wrong to contract the infection since last being tested?
    He has been in contact with a member of the senior squad, who has that player been in contact with?
    They don’t know the source of the infection.
    Is it possible that a player could be incubating the virus past the next test and be a source of infection by gametime next week?
    Testing has limitations around incubation, turnaround times and accuracy.

I think as things stand next weeks game shouldn’t go ahead without more information and answers to some important questions.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    none of the training group are close contacts, shouldn't be any worry for the game

The operative word doesn’t breed confidence.

What has the player done wrong to contract the infection since last being tested?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2020/0813/1159013-munster-academy-player-covid-19/

I think this is an update? Mentions a senior player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

I think as things stand next weeks game shouldn’t go ahead without more information and answers to some important questions.

More information like test results for the entire squad which there will be next week. Clueless.

scrubs33 wrote: »

A senior player who is not in the training group

So presumably a player not in the pro14 squad nor one intended to take any Part in the upcoming games

• Advertisement

Seems bewildering to have to point this out after the last 6 months, but you could do everything right and still contract the virus. Players aren't exempt from that.

aloooof wrote: »
    Seems bewildering to have to point this out after the last 6 months, but you could do everything right and still contract the virus. Players aren't exempt from that.

Not really, the likely hood is that you have done something wrong Against the advice that is given to contract the Virus, the precautions are typically enough to ensure you don’t get infected, anyone getting the virus at this stage is doing something wrong be it in their work or private life.

Presumably the player isn’t moonlighting in a meat factory or as a nurse.

Not really, the likely hood is that you have done something wrong Against the advice that is given to contract the Virus, the precautions are typically enough to ensure you don’t get infected, anyone getting the virus at this stage is doing something wrong be it in their work or private life.

I'm sorry, but that's complete and utter horsesh1t. Even if you stay two meters from everyone else, constantly wash your hands and wear a mask you can still contract the virus. Those protections reduce the risk, they don't nullify it.

Ah sthop

bennyl10 wrote: »
    A senior player who is not in the training group

So presumably a player not in the pro14 squad nor one intended to take any Part in the upcoming games

Sound to me like someone living with the infected player, so one of the younger players recently promoted to a senior contract.

I'm sorry, but that's complete and utter horsesh1t. Even if you stay two meters from everyone else, constantly wash your hands and wear a mask you can still contract the virus. Those protections reduce the risk, they don't nullify it.

No, the days of just getting infected randomly are long gone because of the measures that are in place, the most likely scenario for somebody getting infected now are that they haven’t followed the correct protocols unfortunately.

The biggest question then remains where they contracted the infection, followed by when.

Clueless.

Speculating how someone got Covid isn't really worth anyone's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

What if he lives with his family and a family member is working in healthcare setting, or community transmission at a supermarket.

Not every case is about ppl doing something wrong. You can do everything right but still pick it up. You can mitigate against contracting the virus but that doesn't eliminate all risk.

If the player was on the lash or at a house party with 50 others then thats bad form but there is no suggestion that is the case here given the small number of contacts in question.

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    What if he lives with his family and a family member is working in healthcare setting, or community transmission at a supermarket.

Not every case is about ppl doing something wrong. You can do everything right but still pick it up. You can mitigate against contracting the virus but that doesn't eliminate all risk.

If the player was on the lash or at a house party with 50 others then thats bad form but there is no suggestion that is the case here given the small number of contacts in question.

And that’s why I’m advocating for establishing if it is either of those scenarios or many others. As for your opinion that not every case is about people doing something wrong your are correct, but we are aware that the Vast Vast majority of cases now are down to people doing something wrong, be it employers not following the guidelines, or people being in places they shouldn’t.

Some posters here are happy to put it down to “one of those things” and that’s completely the wrong approach, for this to be put to bed properly and not have questions hanging over it a plausible source needs to be found.

Advertisement