Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

salmocab wrote: »
    There’s also quarantine to potentially contend with.

They could well sort out testing for the players coming back and shave a few days off the quarantine time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    They could well sort out testing for the players coming back and shave a few days off the quarantine time.

If they are on a flight which is say 70% full and contract the virus on that flight, It literally could be 2 weeks before it manifests itself

If the whole Munster squad have to self isolate as a result should their games be awarded to opponents If they cannot fulfil them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Mr Tickle wrote: »

Yeah, it’s months off yet but currently they’d need to quarantine 2 weeks on the way out and 2 back. I’d doubt thats going to happen one way or another though. Personally I think there’s just too many variables for it to be worth much worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/561207/munster-star-dan-goggin-takes-up-new-coaching-role.html
    Dan Goggin taking up a coaching role with Richmond RFC. I'm guessing it's part of some initiative to get players involved in coaching at an early stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Bassfish wrote: »
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/561207/munster-star-dan-goggin-takes-up-new-coaching-role.html
    Dan Goggin taking up a coaching role with Richmond RFC. I'm guessing it's part of some initiative to get players involved in coaching at an early stage.
    I dont think it's part of any initiative. Hed be finished college now and while he is a cookie theres been a lot connections with Richmond and cookies recently..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The injury list is building. Are they back in full contact yet?

That's rotten timing for Goggin as the centres not named De Allende or Farrell will be scrapping for minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Two issues I see facing the Munster selectors ahead of the return of rugby: backrow balance and what centre partner will complement de Allende best

As regards backrow balance, I think Munster should select Hodnett as first choice openside if they want to continue with O'Mahony at 6 and Stander at 8. The POM/Stander 6, 8 combo has only ever really consistently worked when there was a freakishly dynamic openside with them (SOB, Leavy). Hodnett brings dynamism, an all action style and smarts to the table. I think he's the best bet for balancing out the loose trio in that configuration.

Alternatively, the way I see it, they could shift O'Mahony to openside and get two ball carriers into the team at 6 and 8. Stander at blindside with O'Sullivan coming into the side at no. 8 seems the most obvious set up in this configuration. POM is usually the one subbed off, so it would make sense to have Hodnett on the bench here.

Due to Chris Farrell's lack of an outside break I'm not sure a centre partnership with de Allende at 12 and Farrell at 13 would have enough subtlety to test teams who can match Munster physically. I think it'd be better to have them the other way around actually. DdA started at 13 against Canada in the World Cup, so he can play there, and his try against Wales showed he can make an outside break.

Other partnerships that could work in my opinion would be Scannell at inside centre and de Allende at outside centre or de Allende at inside centre and Earls at outside centre. De Allende's physicality and dynamism could create space outside and Earls's evasion would dovetail well with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Two issues I see facing the Munster selectors ahead of the return of rugby: backrow balance and what centre partner will complement de Allende best

As regards backrow balance, I think Munster should select Hodnett as first choice openside if they want to continue with O'Mahony at 6 and Stander at 8. The POM/Stander 6, 8 combo has only ever really consistently worked when there was a freakishly dynamic openside with them (SOB, Leavy). Hodnett brings dynamism, an all action style and smarts to the table. I think he's the best bet for balancing out the loose trio in that configuration.

Alternatively, the way I see it, they could shift O'Mahony to openside and get two ball carriers into the team at 6 and 8. Stander at blindside with O'Sullivan coming into the side at no. 8 seems the most obvious set up in this configuration. POM is usually the one subbed off, so it would make sense to have Hodnett on the bench here.

Due to Chris Farrell's lack of an outside break I'm not sure a centre partnership with de Allende at 12 and Farrell at 13 would have enough subtlety to test teams who can match Munster physically. I think it'd be better to have them the other way around actually. DdA started at 13 against Canada in the World Cup, so he can play there, and his try against Wales showed he can make an outside break.

Other partnerships that could work in my opinion would be Scannell at inside centre and de Allende at outside centre or de Allende at inside centre and Earls at outside centre. De Allende's physicality and dynamism could create space outside and Earls's evasion would dovetail well with that.

Beirne at 6 for me, I still think he could be the best 6 in the country if he could just get a run of games.

6. Beirne
    7. POM
    8. Stander

I agree about Hodnett, he could be world class in a few years. Hopefully he'll push a starting spot this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Is that you Tony McGahan? Getting one of the best inside centres in the world from South Africa and playing him out of position at 13. Maybe it's 2009 again.

I agree with your back row assertion but Hodnett isn't up to that level just yet. Think POM to 7 and probably JOD at 6. Coombes, JOS or Beirne also are options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Could be a huge season for Beirne if the refs keep enforcing the breakdown laws

We are going to see more injuries than usual this season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Could be a huge season for Beirne if the refs keep enforcing the breakdown laws

We are going to see more injuries than usual this season

God help us, we're jinxed enough as it is :eek:

Beirne offers an openside type role. He was a turnover machine at the Scarlets. Kleyn's status is up in the air after the latest injury update so Beirne may be in the second row with Snyman for the immediate future.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Beirne offers an openside type role. He was a turnover machine at the Scarlets. Kleyn's status is up in the air after the latest injury update so Beirne may be in the second row with Snyman for the immediate future.

**** it, throw Ahern in. James Ryan swam at 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

**** it, throw Ahern in. James Ryan swam at 21.

Ryan is a once in a generation freak. is Ahern that good?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Ryan is a once in a generation freak. is Ahern that good?

He is! Only been a forward for a few years so his pace is unreal. He's a giant in every way. Watch the Under 20s matches that were played in the 6 Nations. He shone in every game.

Holland will be gone in 2021 and Ahern will take his spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

IMO Ahern starts the season as 6th choice lock
    Behind Snyman, Kleyn, Beirne, Wycherley and Holland.

Its possible that the first three will be away on international duty so he will get gametime this season

I wouldn't be rushing into starting him in a European game just yet

He was training with the seniors mind so perhaps he's in line for minutes in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

Looks like Eoin O’Connor, another academy lock, is training with the senior squad from the Damian De Allende video Munster put out.

• Advertisement

rayd3 wrote: »
    Looks like Eoin O’Connor, another academy lock, is training with the senior squad from the Damian De Allende video Munster put out.

He's rehabbing a long term knee injury, per the recent update.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/07/22/video-academy-update-july-2020/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Some good stuff in here from Andrew Conway:

https://twitter.com/rugby_ie/status/1288717208219029509

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭theVersatile

aloooof wrote: »
    Some good stuff in here from Andrew Conway:

https://twitter.com/rugby_ie/status/1288717208219029509

Fairly brutal honesty there; that bit on the lads who done preseason being far better than the returning internationals and the internationals dragging things down in terms of the new systems, shapes, etc. He's right too, the was such innovation in those early games which didn't stay on for the later games with the Irish lads in. This season will be big.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Fairly brutal honesty there; that bit on the lads who done preseason being far better than the returning internationals and the internationals dragging things down in terms of the new systems, shapes, etc. He's right too, the was such innovation in those early games which didn't stay on for the later games with the Irish lads in. This season will be big.

It's to be expected to a point, tbh. A new attack is going to take time under the best circumstances; trying to integrate 12 players into it mid-season was always going to be a challenge.

Also, the level of opposition got more difficult. It's one thing doing it against the Dragons, another entirely against Saracens, say.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

I think Earl's at 13 is only a "break glass"option now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I think Earl's at 13 is only a "break glass"option now.

Earl's at 13 is the "we're completely ****ed and don't have a hope of winning" option. Very good winger but an awful centre.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Earl's at 13 is the "we're completely ****ed and don't have a hope of winning" option. Very good winger but an awful centre.

I wouldn't say awful, but not at international level. Earl's himself thinks the extra muscle he put on to play centre led to him being injured a lot.

"Break glass" because if you get a succession if injuries at 13, 12 and 23 he could hole the fort there for 39 mins or so.

Caranica wrote: »
    He is! Only been a forward for a few years so his pace is unreal. He's a giant in every way. Watch the Under 20s matches that were played in the 6 Nations. He shone in every game.

A big guy who moves like that probably has a lot of fast twitch muscle fibres, good for sprinting, good for vertical jumps and also for building strength.

American football scouts look for size and speed- if they have the two of those, no matter how skinny they are they can build them up onto monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Caranica wrote: »
    That he was a back isnt really a factor. I coached and reffed teams that would have played him playing at younger age groups when he was playing in the backs and he wasnt a stand out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭PMC83

So Snyman says he'll be missing for international duty. What do Munster fans reckon? Seems like a bit of a stinger but likely the coaching ticket knew this was the case before signing.

I remember reading that there was a 'Gentleman's agreement' with Fardy when he joined Leinster from the Brumbies. Whether its true or not I have no idea.

Advertisement