Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

more of an athlete than a rugby player.

How old is he, 18/19? That's quite a sweeping statement to level at a young player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

How old is he, 18/19? That's quite a sweeping statement to level at a young player.

He is an excellent athlete, but a work in progress as a rugby player, hence why he hasn't made the academy. Was able to get away with it at schools level, can't at higher levels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

yeah cause no athlete was ever a good rugby player. the lad is a kid. nobody has an idea how he will go. the idea that irish rugby can jettison athletes or lads with size/pace is ludicrous and will be our undoing eventually. i'm convinced the same people would be saying the same things about your Wallaces , Keith Woods, Victor Costelloes and Mal O'Kelly's if it was back in the day etc ah shure they are only athletes

People seem to want only small hybrid Van Der Flier machines no matter the cost. Personally i think its bloody stupid.

as i said in the COnnacht thread when you have coaches in Irish camp questioning why a Conroy (due to his athletic ability) isn't in 15's pro rugby then something is amiss.

Okeke looks like a natural rugby player. No player had all the nuts and bolts and expecting them to have it all is daft. Again i'm talking of the new trend in Irish rugby to demand our wingers are ruckers, catchers, tacklers over what they were designed to do. I suppose you could call it the Joe Schmidt effect.

Niallof9 wrote: »
    yeah cause no athlete was ever a good rugby player. the lad is a kid. nobody has an idea how he will go. the idea that irish rugby can jettison athletes or lads with size/pace is ludicrous and will be our undoing eventually. i'm convinced the same people would be saying the same things about Keith Woods, Victor Costelloes and Mal O'Kelly's etc

who said anything about jettisoning him? currently he is more of an athlete than a rugby player, he remains in the munster sub academy in the hopes he can improve with the coaching he receives there and be worthy of an academy place next summer.

You think he looks like a natural rugby player? How much of him have you seen? a few highlight videos? he came to the game late and was able to get by at schools level due to his superior athleticism.. he is a project and munster are trying to get coach him up in the sub academy.. comparing him to David Wallace and Keith Wood etc. is a laughable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

who said anything about jettisoning him? currently he is more of an athlete than a rugby player, he remains in the munster sub academy in the hopes he can improve with the coaching he receives there and be worthy of an academy place next summer.

Ok fair enough you didn't say it but it seems to be a trend imo. Cutting players if they don't fit the narrow band of excellence we have designated. I reckon many of our old legends would have struggled to make the grade if it had been applied. We can't afford to lose naturally talented players, we aren't awash with them

i realise rugby is a game of inches and the more nuts and bolts the better but i just fear we are in danger of thinking we are too smart. A big, athletic player will always be useful in rugby. We aren't NZ we can't jettison a Savea cause he doesn't work hard enough.

I've heard Kendallan is the real deal tho.

Munster have a huge seam of talent about to burst through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

yerrahbah wrote: »

Somebody buy that man a proper phone, doing interviews on a Motorola Frazer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭shootermacg

He's able to move too. I think he'll be a great signing for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

He's able to move too. I think he'll be a great signing for us!

I really like how he came across too, especially about how he feels at home in Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

If his attitude is as good as everyone says and he stays fit it’s hard to see him not being a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Ok fair enough you didn't say it but it seems to be a trend imo. Cutting players if they don't fit the narrow band of excellence we have designated. I reckon many of our old legends would have struggled to make the grade if it had been applied. We can't afford to lose naturally talented players, we aren't awash with them

i realise rugby is a game of inches and the more nuts and bolts the better but i just fear we are in danger of thinking we are too smart. A big, athletic player will always be useful in rugby. We aren't NZ we can't jettison a Savea cause he doesn't work hard enough.

I've heard Kendallan is the real deal tho.

Munster have a huge seam of talent about to burst through.

Can anyone give a synopsis on Kendallan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Can anyone give a synopsis on Kendallan?

Captained the Ireland U18 schools last year, played Munster U19 @8 as an U18. He's fairly polished all around in terms of skillset and physicality but maybe someone else could offer an insight to any weaknesses he may have.

Captained the Ireland U18 schools last year, played Munster U19 @8 as an U18. He's fairly polished all around in terms of skillset and physicality but maybe someone else could offer an insight to any weaknesses he may have.

lacks ideal size for a modern 8, being around 6'1
    isn't a particularly notable athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

lacks ideal size for a modern 8, being around 6'1

Another small back-rower is exactly what Munster need.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The first player is more of an athlete than a rugby player. The second player isn't enough of an athlete. You need to make up your mind what your definition of a rugby player is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The first player is more of an athlete than a rugby player. The second player isn't enough of an athlete. You need to make up your mind what your definition of a rugby player is.

some players are more athletic than others.

Okeke is a better athlete than Kendellan, Kendellan is a much better rugby player.

If you combined them, you'd have a special rugby player.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Eod100 wrote: »

2 trips to Dublin

22nd vs Leinster
    30th vs Connacht

Behind closed doors I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

PTH2009 wrote: »
    2 trips to Dublin

22nd vs Leinster
    30th vs Connacht

Behind closed doors I imagine

Yup I'd say so. Even if it's 500, have to still take team and staff out of that so probably more hassle/cost then it's worth tbh

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yup I'd say so. Even if it's 500, have to still take team and staff out of that so probably more hassle/cost then it's worth tbh

plenty of the 'goys' will be taking up pubs around Dublin that day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Incase anyone didn't know,

Unlike previous NIQ signings, DDA and Snyman could be selected by SA

https://twitter.com/RuaidhriOC/status/1285951786700898305

Incase anyone didn't know,

Unlike previous NIQ signings, DDA and Snyman could be selected by SA

https://twitter.com/RuaidhriOC/status/1285951786700898305

Suppose not so bad if its only for a round of European games

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Suppose not so bad if its only for a round of European games

Well, it depends on two things. Firstly, the format of this year's competition which will determine how many games they miss, if any e.g. if it's 3 teams to a pool, there's a possibility that Munster/Ulster wouldn't even have a game on the opening weekend.

The other possibility is that if SA have a match on December 12th in NZ, it's going to be hard for those boys to get back and be fit and firing for a game on December 19th thereby potentially missing 2 games. I would imagine they'd bench for a game on that weekend. In a 3 team pool, that would be a big blow.

So it's all very much up in the air until we really know the format and schedules of the tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There’s also quarantine to potentially contend with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

salmocab wrote: »
    There’s also quarantine to potentially contend with.

If they're coming from NZ it will depend on where they route through. NZ would be on a green list except their borders are closed and we can't get there via a green list country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Caranica wrote: »
    If they're coming from NZ it will depend on where they route through. NZ would be on a green list except their borders are closed and we can't get there via a green list country.

I can't remember the exact details, but apparently as long as you don't leave the airport you can transit through a red zone country into Ireland without having to self isolate on your return.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Caranica wrote: »

Yeah it’s why I said potentially, it’s a long time off though. NZ will surely want them to quarantine on the way in and possibly when they arrive back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I can't remember the exact details, but apparently as long as you don't leave the airport you can transit through a red zone country into Ireland without having to self isolate on your return.

Correct, as long as you stay airside then the countries you transit through are irrelevant, the deciding factor is always the country your trip originated in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Correct, as long as you stay airside then the countries you transit through are irrelevant, the deciding factor is always the country your trip originated in.

Expect that to change if flights get fuller and become an issue. Imagine if the Boks all land in Heathrow before going their separate ways. And a flight to Ireland is then identified as an issue.

The general attitude I see in my locality is people think covid19 is largely gone away. So the guard is down. Think this has a long way to go before that happens.

European Cup & Pro14 facing a very tricky 12 months. Am still convinced the Lions tour will run into trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Expect that to change if flights get fuller and become an issue. Imagine if the Boks all land in Heathrow before going their separate ways. And a flight to Ireland is then identified as an issue.

The general attitude I see in my locality is people think covid19 is largely gone away. So the guard is down. Think this has a long way to go before that happens.

European Cup & Pro14 facing a very tricky 12 months. Am still convinced the Lions tour will run into trouble

The guidance was only issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs this week. All you can work off is the latest, no one has any idea how things are going to play out, there is zero precedence and anything else is only guesswork.

Advertisement