Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,374 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Great signings. Good to see this level of player coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Pretty massive signings, figuratively and literally speaking. Could really be game changers, two quality players.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I hope they crash and burn tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

Clegg wrote: »
    I hope they crash and burn tbh.

Your salty tears are delicious :P

Being serious though, Snyman is an excellent signing. Brings the power that Munster sorely lack in the front 5. It's the area where you've been constantly overwhelmed in the Champions Cup semis against Saracens and Racing. Presumably Beirne will.move into the backrow to compete with POM. Openside is still a weakness however.

I'm less sure on De Allende. He's a great player for a certain type of game. He'll bash over the gain line all day. But it's a tactic that I thought Munster were trying to get away from with the appointment of Larkham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Wycherly is in a tough spot. He's 4th in the rankings now as a 2and row. Moving him to 6 to compete with POM, JOD and Coombes doesn't make much sense to me.
    JOS will be utilized next season , hopefully, but he may only feature against the lower teams of the pro14.
    The signings are quality! But at the expense of homegrown players. DDA puts Scannell on the timber Arnold will probably leave, and then there's Goggin too. Where will he fit in?
    Munster should be much improved next year. They could cer6win silverware with the new additions.
    I reckon the matchday squad would be
    1 Kilcoyne
    2. Scannell
    3. Archer
    4. Snyman
    5. Kleyn
    6. POM
    7. JOD
    8. Stander
    9. Murray
    10. Joey
    11. Earl's
    13. DDA
    13. Farrell
    14. Conway
    15. Haley

16. Marshall
    17. Loughman
    18. Ryan
    18. Beirne
    20. TOD
    21. Casey
    22.Jj
    23. Daly.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

easy peasy wrote: »
    Agree entirely with this.

The fact that only recently the IRFU bailed Munster out with a cash injection just further highlights the madness of it all.

Throw in Earls, O'Mahony and Murray likely being on their last central contracts with no one from Munster stepping up to fill that gap, meaning Munster will probably have to pay every player in their squad and this just gets more crazy.

Do you actually understand the structure of IRFU and where the money comes from?

All provinces are funded centrally by, guess who, yes that's right the IRFU.

Mick Dawson conceded that Leinster couldn't operate as a financial independent entity. He also agreed that Leinster couldn't afford to fund the schools system that the private school system in greater Dublin provides.

Also if Leinsters production line was as good as many on here claim why does the Leinster academy system require topping up with exile players and American football drop outs brought over by Eddie O'Sullivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Do you actually understand the structure of IRFU and where the money comes from?

Mick Dawson conceded that Leinster couldn't operate as a financial independent entity. He also agreed that Leinster couldn't afford to fund the schools system that the private school system in greater Dublin provides.

Also if Leinsters production line was as good as many on here claim why does the Leinster academy system require topping up with exile players and American football drop outs brought over by Eddie O'Sullivan.

The Leinster production line is as good as many here claim to be fair, the four provinces are littered with players from it. One guy from America that was brought over by someone else who earned his spot by playing club rugby hardly constitutes a plural of American football drop out.

salmocab wrote: »
    The Leinster production line is as good as many here claim to be fair, the four provinces are littered with players from it. One guy from America that was brought over by someone else who earned his spot by playing club rugby hardly constitutes a plural of American football drop out.
    The way many on here go on you'd swear that it was purely Leinster born and bred players in the academy.
    Very little mentioned by the media about the Hawaiian dude joining the Leinster sub academy straight off the plane at the exact time they were doing negative pieces on the likes of Knox joining the Munster academy.

The way many on here go on you'd swear that it was purely Leinster born and bred players in the academy.
    Very little mentioned by the media about the Hawaiian dude joining the Leinster sub academy straight off the plane at the exact time they were doing negative pieces on the likes of Knox joining the Munster academy.

I think your being a bit touchy on it, Knox was brought over to the academy by Munster, The Hawaiian came over to try out for pro rugby they are hardly the same thing. Not that I give a fiddlers about Munster bringing in players from anywhere. The Leinster systrm is absolutely churning out players though.

• Advertisement

I think your being a bit touchy on it, Knox was brought over to the academy by Munster, The Hawaiian came over to try out for pro rugby they are hardly the same thing. Not that I give a fiddlers about Munster bringing in players from anywhere. The Leinster systrm is absolutely churning out players though.
    The Hawaiian was brought over and directly into the Leinster sub academy by Eddie O'Sullivan. This wasn't a Cam Jowett case of some guy backpacking around the place and just happening to pick up a contract. This was exactly the same the as Knox and Moore except he went into the sub academy due to the fact he had so little rugby experience.

As for being touchy I think the amount of trolling by non Munster fans on the Munster thread says enough about the quality of the signings announced today.

The Hawaiian was brought over and directly into the Leinster sub academy by Eddie O'Sullivan. This wasn't a Cam Jowett case of some guy backpacking around the place and just happening to pick up a contract. This was exactly the same the as Knox and Moore except he went into the sub academy due to the fact he had so little rugby experience.

As for being touchy I think the amount of trolling by non Munster fans on the Munster thread says enough about the quality of the signings announced today.

It want exactly the same at all, he wasn’t brought over by Leinster or scouted by them. Your second paragraph doesn’t make any sense, there were a small number of people ‘trolling’ but I’m not sure how that relates to you giving out about the Leinster academy

It want exactly the same at all, he wasn’t brought over by Leinster or scouted by them. Your second paragraph doesn’t make any sense, there were a small number of people ‘trolling’ but I’m not sure how that relates to you giving out about the Leinster academy

You are talking through your hole on Salanoa. He had a trial with Leinster in 2016 and then returned to Ireland in 2018 to join their sub academy system. He was scouted and brought over by Leinster with the help of Eddie O'Sullivan. Exactly the same as Knox except Knox went straight to the academy, didn't have Eddie O'Sullivan as his agent and he had to deal with all the ****ty press coverage that Salanoa has somehow avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Jesus.

Isn't this supposed to be a happy day in here?

You are talking through your hole on Salanoa. He had a trial with Leinster in 2016 and then returned to Ireland in 2018 to join their sub academy system. He was scouted and brought over by Leinster with the help of Eddie O'Sullivan. Exactly the same as Knox except Knox went straight to the academy, didn't have Eddie O'Sullivan as his agent and he had to deal with all the ****ty press coverage that Salanoa has somehow avoided.

I’m really not but your welcome to your opinion

I don't think anyone expects any academy to be able to produce test quality players from 1-15. But the sheer number of test quality players Leinster have developed over the last 5-10 years speaks volumes to the quality of the coaching in the schools, academy and first team.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Also, Salanoa is behind Furlong, Porter, Bent, Abdaladze and Aungier. He came off the bench twice this season when Furlong and Porter were rested, Bent and Abdaladze were injured and Aungier was sick. He isnt being touted as anything even close to a starter for Leinster. Knox is was brought in to be a big part of the Munster pack and is being touted as having a big future. Comparing the two is as apples and oranges as it gets.

I’m really not but your welcome to your opinion

Well here's an article on him that says you are
    https://www.the42.ie/roman-salanoa-hawaii-leinster-rugby-3807005-Jan2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Written by a former Munster player.

Is there no depth Munster won't reach in an attempt to undermine the Leinster juggernaut?

It doesn’t at all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I like that the only picture they could find of him was the back of his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

As much as I enjoy chatting about the Leinster academy....

Predicted 23 for next season

1 Kilcoyne
    2. Scannell
    3. Ryan
    4. Snyman
    5. Kleyn
    6. Beirne
    7. POM
    8. Stander
    9. Murray
    10. Carbery
    11. Earls
    13. DDA
    13. Farrell
    14. Conway
    15. Haley

16. KO'B
    17. Loughman
    18. Knox
    18. Whycherley
    20. JOD
    21. Casey
    22. JJ
    23. Daly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm 100% going to a munster game to see Snyman in the flesh. The man is a monster and I for one want to see him live and in action.

It doesn’t at all

Oh look another article this time from De Hedald saying you're talking through your hole.

https://m.herald.ie/sport/rugby/no-roman-holiday-for-blue-hawaiian-38880273.html

Oh look another article this time from De Hedald saying you're talking through your hole.

https://m.herald.ie/sport/rugby/no-roman-holiday-for-blue-hawaiian-38880273.html

Again no mention of me talking through my hole.

yerrahbah wrote: »
    As much as I enjoy chatting about the Leinster academy....

Predicted 23 for next season

1 Kilcoyne
    2. Scannell
    3. Ryan
    4. Snyman
    5. Kleyn
    6. Beirne
    7. POM
    8. Stander
    9. Murray
    10. Carbery
    11. Earls
    13. DDA
    13. Farrell
    14. Conway
    15. Haley

16. KO'B
    17. Loughman
    18. Knox
    18. Whycherley
    20. JOD
    21. Casey
    22. JJ
    23. Daly.

PoM is not a good 7.

He doesn't have the work rate for it. He's a 6 or nothing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Crowley and Ahern having great games for the U20s tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Buer

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Crowley and Ahern having great games for the U20s tonight

Ahern yes. He looks excellent. Superb athleticism for someone of his size.

Crowley took his tries excellently but his general play hasn't been great in the parts I've seen. Some sloppy errors this half. I'd rate Ben Healy higher. Only 6 months between them too.

• Administrators Posts: 53,374 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Folks, this is the Munster thread. Leinster fans please go pontificate or express indignance somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

I’m well aware how the system works. The IRFU do not offer a blank chèque to the provinces, they are expected to raise enough funds to cater for their own resources.

The IRFU pay the centrally contracted players with the provinces paying the rest of the players on their books. Hence why leinster pay a massive squad, because they don’t pay their 8-10 biggest earners. Munster on the other hand, soon won’t have a centrally contracted player and will be expected to pay all of their players. Which will be very interesting for such a cash rich organisation!

Since you seem to like posting articles so much, have a read of this and go away with your central funding crap.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.the42.ie/munster-provinces-cash-injection-philip-browne-2765938-May2016/%3famp=1

Advertisement