Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

Because traders like me and anyone with half a brain can understand that less cars will definitely mean less people without a shadow of a doubt. A large majority of people use their car to get into the city, remove the cars and you discourage, reduce or remove these people from coming in.

The more parking you remove and harder it is for people to get close to the city Centre the more of the county you stop coming into the city and the county has a lot lot more people than the city.

The reasons people visit a place are multi-varied. A big part of the reason is people enjoy 'people watching' more than we think. This is why public realm projects should be designed to encourage people to stop and hang out. The causes a ripple of people stopping and hanging out etc

I'm not saying we ban cars. I'm saying we should prioritise building a place people want to visit, hang out, enjoy each others company.

A town is not just a functional place where people visit for 'shopping'. Its much more than that. Removing cars from the streets listed would create a visitor experience which would massively increase the attractiveness of galway city centre as a visitor destination

Let's just be super clear here. Most people visiting Galway from outside the city park in many of the available car parks i.e. headford road, cinema, cathedral, docks, high rise on middle street etc. Nothing would change.

I'm saying there is a strong argument for removing cars from the central city area in which there is already heavy footfall, woodquay , abbeygate st market st, cross st, st augustine st, middle st, and the west end including ravens terrace.

Doing this would create a unique visitor experience and IMO significantly increase footfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

xckjoo wrote:
    Nah. Sometimes what seems obvious is actually the completely wrong conclusion. That's the whole point of researching things instead of just jumping in with the first notion that pops into your head. Maybe you need two halfs of a brain to realise that though

That's exactly what I wanted to say but you were faster.

"Common sense" and "it's obvious" are inherently flawed methods to establish knowledge and/or truth - only scepticism & critical thinking aka the scientific method is the valid means.

'cause you know common sense would indicate that the Earth is flat....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Looks like these kids might have found one solution. Wonder how many of those people actually need to be stuck in traffic?

https://twitter.com/cycle_bus/status/1186659049393266692?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Looks like these kids might have found one solution. Wonder how many of those people actually need to be stuck in traffic?

https://twitter.com/cycle_bus/status/1186659049393266692?s=20

So the person filming that is NOT in the cycle lane and is NOT concentrating fully on his/her own "vehicle". Hardly a responsible example to be showing these children.
    Could they not have gotten off the bike, filmed the kids and then gotten back on the bike.

• Advertisement

So the person filming that is NOT in the cycle lane and is NOT concentrating fully on his/her own "vehicle". Hardly a responsible example to be showing these children.
    Could they not have gotten off the bike, filmed the kids and then gotten back on the bike.

Risking life and limb at 10 kph. The things people do, eh?

Risking life and limb at 10 kph. The things people do, eh?

It's not his life or limbs I'm concerned about.
    He loses control, he's under a car or lands on a child.
    They should be leading by example, all the time, every time.
    Any more flippant remarks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Seriously? That's what you got from the video/post?
    Ah no, you're right - what level of safety outrage will you reach today?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭topcat77

The marshals on this cycle bus don't cycle in the bike lane, they cycle on the road next to the bike lane to protect the children as the bike lane isn't segregated as it should be.

P.S. which they have every right to.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Every time the cycle bus is mentioned on here there are people who find reasons to criticise it.

Very strange.

• Advertisement

topcat77 wrote: »
    The marshals on this cycle bus don't cycle in the bike lane, they cycle on the road next to the bike lane to protect the children as the bike lane isn't segregated as it should be.

P.S. which they have every right to.

I counted 4 children on bikes.
    It would have been very easy to have one adult in front and one behind the group to marshall them.
    You haven't commented on the marshall filming the children from his bike, which is hardly a sensible thing to be doing.

I happen to think the bicycle bus is a great idea,but it needs to be controlled and marshalled correctly.
    I thought my child to cycle. Went with them on busy roads, told them how to observe traffic, maintain safe distances, keep control of the bike at all times.
    Cycling in town is not as easy as it once was.
    Teach these children that they're on a vehicle, not a toy and they need to be taught( through example) how to stay safe on the roads.

Mr_A wrote: »
    Every time the cycle bus is mentioned on here there are people who find reasons to criticise it.

Very strange.

Bit weird ok. People also for some raeson need to use hyperbole when cycling is mentioned as well as well as faux concern for the cyclist's safety, bit like motorists who insist that cyclists wear helmets and are insured. The video seems to have a struck a chord with a few (sure we have people on snap chat and face-time driving around at 100kph, but hey) rather than the futility of sitting in line after line of single occupant cars...

The video seems to have a struck a chord with a few (sure we have people on snap chat and face-time driving around at 100kph, but hey) rather than the futility of sitting in line after line of single occupant cars...

Personally I’d rather sit in traffic than cycle for various reasons. I wouldn’t be having a child involved in that cycle bus either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Personally I’d rather sit in traffic than cycle for various reasons. I wouldn’t be having a child involved in that cycle bus either.

We already know this - tell us something new. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I am very surprised that the school's policies allow them to film recognisable children, and putting the footage onto the internet.

I assume that the filming is done via a helmet cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

How many cyclists have you seen land under stopped cars or land on children?

Ridiculous, flippant and fanciful post to try and paint the kids cycle train as dangerous when more than 80 people have been killed by cars this year so far.

On your bike fergiesfolly, spread your deceitful analogies elsewhere!

If you ever have kids you'll change your mind.;) Nothing better or healthier than cycling with them. You'll find your own health improving too. Great for the mind, great for the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

That video looks like it could have been taken with a GoPro (or similar) mounted to the cyclists helmet so I don't see how posting some of the footage online is any harm. Maybe I'm wrong.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    How many cyclists have you seen land under stopped cars or land on children?

Ridiculous, flippant and fanciful post to try and paint the kids cycle train as dangerous when more than 80 people have been killed by cars this year so far.

On your bike fergiesfolly, spread your deceitful analogies elsewhere!

If you ever have kids you'll change your mind.;) Nothing better or healthier than cycling with them. You'll find your own health improving too. Great for the mind, great for the body.

Well, I was struck by a car while cycling when I was a child. My fault and it happened so quickly it was over in a flash. It took me ages to get back on the bike. My concern probably stems from that experience. Accidents happen just like that. Seemingly harmless senarios turn very quickly. .
    I've seen cyclists come off bikes many times and plenty were down to lack of care by motorist, pedestrian and cyclists alike.
    As I already stated, I think the bicycle bus is a great idea. But the children need to be educated to cycle safely. For their own sake.
    Love cycling. I've had a bike since I was a young child. Encourage my own to do it. And educated them how to do so safely.

Regarding the camera used. My first thought was that it was helmet mounted, but the way the camera panned around made me think it was handheld. The rider must've twisted their head right around to get that shot. Not a good idea either way.

Finally, there was nothing fanciful or flippant in my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Well, I was struck by a car while cycling when I was a child. My fault and it happened so quickly it was over in a flash. It took me ages to get back on the bike. My concern probably stems from that experience. Accidents happen just like that. Seemingly harmless senarios turn very quickly. .
    I've seen cyclists come off bikes many times and plenty were down to lack of care by motorist, pedestrian and cyclists alike.
    As I already stated, I think the bicycle bus is a great idea. But the children need to be educated to cycle safely. For their own sake.
    Love cycling. I've had a bike since I was a young child. Encourage my own to do it. And educated them how to do so safely.

Regarding the camera used. My first thought was that it was helmet mounted, but the way the camera panned around made me think it was handheld. The rider must've twisted their head right around to get that shot. Not a good idea either way.

Finally, there was nothing fanciful or flippant in my post.

Think you're stretching bud. Traffic is stationary, bikes are moving at a steady pace with the road ahead fully visible, no pedestrians in sight. If you can't twist your head right around when you cycle, how do you look behind you when changing lanes, etc.? Confidence and balance is as important a skill as any other on a bike.

Well, I was struck by a car while cycling when I was a child. My fault and it happened so quickly it was over in a flash. It took me ages to get back on the bike.

Maybe If you were chaperoned by adults in a bike bus it wouldn't have happened.
    My concern probably stems from that experience. Accidents happen just like that. Seemingly harmless senarios turn very quickly. .

Stop pretending to be concerned. Like most anti-cycle middle aged men you're not.

They (unlike you, who obviously wasn't) being thought to cycle safely as part of the cycle bus in Galway.

Ah, grow up will you, you can turn your head around when you're cycling at 12 kph without endangering anyone. If you actually did cycle you'd know that.

Stop posting stupid, fanciful scenarios that you know won't happen.

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    Think you're stretching bud. Traffic is stationary, bikes are moving at a steady pace with the road ahead fully visible, no pedestrians in sight. If you can't twist your head right around when you cycle, how do you look behind you when changing lanes, etc.? Confidence and balance is as important a skill as any other on a bike.

Look at that video again.
    The cyclists head is turned from traffic for several seconds.
    They have no awareness of what's happening ahead.
    A car passenger is running late, decides to get out and walk, carelessly opens the door without looking.
    Pedestrian runs between two cars or a cyclist decides to do the same.
    You may think I'm stretching, but thats how countless accidents happen.
    Lack of care, attention and concentration and in a blink of an eye someone's sprawled on the ground.

In my view it's a silly manoeuvre for the sake of a cute video for their social media.

All I'm taking about here is safe cycling through education and example.
    These kids aren't cycling on the street in front of their house or in a local park.
    That's a busy main thoroughfare. The traffic won't always be that slow, the way ahead clear, the weather bright and dry. They need to be shown the correct way to interact with it, all the time, everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Look at that video again.
    The cyclists head is turned from traffic for several seconds.
    They have no awareness of what's happening ahead.
    A car passenger is running late, decides to get out and walk, carelessly opens the door without looking.
    Pedestrian runs between two cars or a cyclist decides to do the same.
    You may think I'm stretching, but thats how countless accidents happen.
    Lack of care, attention and concentration and in a blink of an eye someone's sprawled on the ground.

In my view it's a silly manoeuvre for the sake of a cute video for their social media.

All I'm taking about here is safe cycling through education and example.
    These kids aren't cycling on the street in front of their house or in a local park.
    That's a busy main thoroughfare. The traffic won't always be that slow, the way ahead clear, the weather bright and dry. They need to be shown the correct way to interact with it, all the time, everytime.

And a meteor could have come out of the sky and killed them all....
    The whole video is only 11s. He looked behind for 1-2s max. You must have the attention span of a Buddhist monk on Adderall if you think that's too long to look away from what's ahead of you. And awareness of what's going on all around you is also important. Not all dangers come from the front.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    "Maybe If you were chaperoned by adults in a bike bus it wouldn't have happened."

It was the 70s. The notion of chaperoning kids on bikes was a long way off.

"Stop pretending to be concerned. Like most anti-cycle middle aged men you're not."

You don't know me from Adam or what concerns me. I have a bike and enjoy cycling.

"They (unlike you, who obviously wasn't) being thought to cycle safely as part of the cycle bus in Galway."

You're right. I wasn't thought any further than the mechanics of cycling. Like most kids back then. And I paid for that.

"Ah, grow up will you, you can turn your head around when you're cycling at 12 kph without endangering anyone. If you actually did cycle you'd
    know that."
    It depends on how long you leave it turned. And again, I do cycle.

"Stop posting stupid, fanciful scenarios that you know won't happen.
    "

I've had my experiences. I witnessed other people's. I've built my views on that.
    I saw the video and posted my views. I've made my points in a considered, mature manner.
    Some here felt their inner internet rage and had the need to go full keyboard warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

You'd swear cycling a bike was as complicated as flying a helicopter looking at some of the posts here.

Man cycling a bike at basically walking pace and people make it out to be some sort of ticking time bomb. That's what sitting in your car does to you, pathetic.

"

I've had my experiences. I witnessed other people's. I've built my views on that.
    I saw the video and posted my views. I've made my points in a considered, mature manner.
    Some here felt their inner internet rage and had the need to go full keyboard warrior.

Lol "mature manner" I've already asked you to grow up!
    You saw a perfectly safe video of healthy kids cycling by stationary traffic chaperoned by adults and you tried to tell everyone it's dangerous!
    Nothing dangerous about it, and don't start claiming you're a cyclist, your past posts on the subject are all bitching about cyclists.
    Having a bike in the shed doesn't make one a cyclist!!

You're posts are clueless on the subject! Telling us it's dangerous to turn your head whilst cycling at 12kph because "in a blink of an eye someone's sprawled on the ground" :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Keep it civil everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

grbear wrote: »
    I don't see how posting some of the footage online is any harm. Maybe I'm wrong.

Most organisations that work with children have policies about posting images online, for very good reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

Outrage culture claims another victim.....the boards.ie traffic thread!!

Outrage culture claims another victim.....the boards.ie traffic thread!!

Unbelievable. A man videos his kids enjoying a commute to school in a cycle lane past stationary traffic turns in to near death experience with leading questions about online child images! All from previous anti-cycling posters.

On topic - these cycle buses free up the roads of a good few cars leaving space for tradespeople that genuinely need to drive. Incentives like this should be encouraged and not be faced with nasty, leading accusations.

• Advertisement

The group think would suggest each of the kids would be better off in the back of mammys or daddy’s car, thus adding to the chaos

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement