Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS people returning thread - no Lisa Smith talk (21/12/19)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Whether or not she could get citizenship in Bangladesh she may not have it yet. If this is the criteria then people in Britain who are second or third generation immigrants could lose their passports. Have an Irish granny? You’re out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,266 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Whether or not she could get citizenship in Bangladesh she may not have it yet. If this is the criteria then people in Britain who are second or third generation immigrants could lose their passports. Have an Irish granny? You’re out.

She is automatically a bangladeshi citizen. What she doesn't have yet is a bangladeshi passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Boggles wrote: »
    She wanted it your honor?

It's a well worn defense by predators all right.

The law is clear, she was a child, she was groomed.

Your impression is moot.

She was a victim of crime, a crime that holds a sentence of up to life in prison and rightly so.

I think you’re making up that law. Or changing a law that applies to sexual predators to other forms of grooming.

Anyway once she turned 18 it’s largely irrelevant.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

They have just turned her from universal villain to some what now of a victim denied her due process.

Echoed by Conservative MP George Freeman so it's not just "the left".

I don't know if it is racist, I think that term gets thrown around too much.

But there definitely is proof that a 2 tier system exists and extreme proof TBF.

Take Asma al-Assad, wife and PR mouth piece for one of the greatest mass murderers of our generation, Asma still enjoys her British citizenship, but then again she had tea with the Queen.

FUN FACT: Both Asma and Sajid Javid worked for Deutsche Bank.

Its a pity ISIS followers like this woman don't share the same vision of human rights and fair play as the West does.

She hated the West and Western values including human rights, democracy, freedoms, women's rights, and so on. She turned her back on all that when ISIS were flying high.

Now suddenly she's changed her mind and wants to live in the West again. Well its too late. She made her bed. You can't become part of a murderous organization and then expect to walk away unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Removing citizenship from someone is something that should never be done. When you remove citizenship, you strip people of a load of rights that they have.

One thing that always jumps to mind when i hear of something like this is the nazi's. No, I'm not godwinning, I'm not comparing the tories to the nazi's. It's just that the nazi's stripped the jews of their german citizenship. When they did that it enabled them to do stuff that they couldn't do legally to german citizens. It also meant that many couldn't flee because they had no citizenship, so no passport etc...

If what she did was illegal, then open a case with the CPS and prosecute her when she returns. If she's deemed a security risk, then she should be monitored when she gets back.

• Advertisement

Its a pity ISIS followers like this woman don't share the same vision of human rights and fair play as the West does.

She hated the West and Western values including human rights, democracy, freedoms, women's rights, and so on. She turned her back on all that when ISIS were flying high.

Now suddenly she's changed her mind and wants to live in the West again. Well its too late. She made her bed. You can't become part of a murderous organization and then expect to walk away unchallenged.

I didn't realise it was the law that you had to agree with the freedoms in the west to avail of those freedoms.

Also, she was a teenage girl who was groomed by professional groomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭malinheader

Grayson wrote: »
    Removing citizenship from someone is something that should never be done. When you remove citizenship, you strip people of a load of rights that they have.

One thing that always jumps to mind when i hear of something like this is the nazi's. No, I'm not godwinning, I'm not comparing the tories to the nazi's. It's just that the nazi's stripped the jews of their german citizenship. When they did that it enabled them to do stuff that they couldn't do legally to german citizens. It also meant that many couldn't flee because they had no citizenship, so no passport etc...

If what she did was illegal, then open a case with the CPS and prosecute her when she returns. If she's deemed a security risk, then she should be monitored when she gets back.

What about the rights of the victims of ISIS

• Registered Users Posts: 39,712 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Anyway once she turned 18 it’s largely irrelevant.

Turning 18 doesn't absolve any crimes that where committed against you.

What about the rights of the victims of ISIS

You think their citizenship should be removed too? That's rough.

Seriously though, if she committed any crimes than as I said she should be tried for them. Weirdly the people who think she should be stripped of her citizenship are the ones that don't want to see her in a british court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Stripping her of citizenship is not undermining any rights she has in this case. She is not stateless as she has Bangladeshi citizenship. She is therefore entitled to the rights of a Bangladeshi citizen. They can expedite a Bangladeshi passport to her and she can go and dwell there with her child.

The Tories are not acting as Nazis here. ISIS members are more like the Nazi's tbh. When did we ever accept the "We were just following orders." excuses that the Nazis gave back then that ISIS are giving now?

• Advertisement

Turning 18 doesn't absolve any crimes that where committed against you.

Yep she's the victim in all this.

Not a chance

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

She hates the West and Western values including human rights, democracy, freedoms, women's rights, and so on. She turned her back on all that when ISIS were flying high.

Fixed that a bit.

Cause there is nothing i read from or about her that makes me think she changed her mind.

Stripping her of citizenship is not undermining any rights she has in this case. She is not stateless as she has Bangladeshi citizenship. She is therefore entitled to the rights of a Bangladeshi citizen. They can expedite a Bangladeshi passport to her and she can go and dwell there with her child.

The Tories are not acting as Nazis here. ISIS members are more like the Nazi's tbh. When did we ever accept the "We were just following orders." excuses that the Nazis gave back then that ISIS are giving now?

how is stripping her of her citizenship not undermining any rights she has??? that is exactly what it is doing. it is undermining the right she has had since birth to be a british citizen and all that entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

But she lost those rights for herself when she chose to go to Syria and participate in terrorist activities. You seem to think citizenship is a right. It isn't. She actively fought against 'her' own country. She won't be left stateless. She'll be able to get a Bangladeshi passport. Comparing this case to the Jews is actually disgusting. They were innocent victims of the Nazi regime, not criminals and murderers who travelled abroad to kill people.

You think their citizenship should be removed too? That's rough.

Seriously though, if she committed any crimes than as I said she should be tried for them. Weirdly the people who think she should be stripped of her citizenship are the ones that don't want to see her in a british court.

Yep that's me. Probably 1 to 3 year sentence if any at all,then allowed back into society to do god knows what again. That ain't justice.

inforfun wrote: »
    Fixed that a bit.

Cause there is nothing i read from or about her that makes me think she changed her mind.

That's the thing. She's not even a bit sorry. She has stated that she doesn't regret it. She has stated that she believes the Manchester attack was justified. She hates Britain and the West. She's a dangerous individual and a terrorist. Why should she be let back?

But she lost those rights for herself when she chose to go to Syria and participate in terrorist activities. You seem to think citizenship is a right. It isn't. She actively fought against 'her' own country. She won't be left stateless. She'll be able to get a Bangladeshi passport. Comparing this case to the Jews is actually disgusting. They were innocent victims of the Nazi regime, not criminals and murderers who travelled abroad to kill people.

British citizenship IS a right. that is exactly what it is. It is right bestowed on anybody born in the united kingdom. Now you may argue that the british goverment is correct to strip her of that citizenship but dont pretend that british citizenship is not something she has by right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I didn't realise it was the law that you had to agree with the freedoms in the west to avail of those freedoms.

Is there confusion at 15 years old that chopping heads off and bombing/killing innocent people is a bad thing? What grooming would convince a person that what IS are/were doing is a good thing.

You can only give people so much leeway. She's a terrible human end of. If IS were to succeed and consolidate power in a region then she sure as hell would be in said region living the life she was living for 4 years still. You don't just get to turn around from something like that and say my bad everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Who cares about her rights she lost them as soon as she got involved with such a vile organisation as Isis what about the rights of all those brutally tortured and murdered by that same terrorist organisation she never cared about those did she so why should anyone care about her, she joined it of her own free will and now she must pay for her actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

She comes across on tv as a twisted individual. I would also bet that in private IS must think the UK are some morons for thinking this will even be considered. Hopefully she gets severely punished in Bangladesh.

• Advertisement

how is stripping her of her citizenship not undermining any rights she has??? that is exactly what it is doing. it is undermining the right she has had since birth to be a british citizen and all that entails.

She gave up those rights when she became a perceived threat to national security.

The state has a right under law to have her citizenship revoked if she is considered a threat to national security and IF she has citizenship of a second country.

That is enshrined in their laws.

They are doing nothing illegal here at all.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

And now she is a woman with plenty of strong opinions. At this stage she should be able to tell right from wrong.
    Manchester bombing, beheadings, etc etc all fine in her book. Not a 15 year old speaking. A 19 year old woman. There's no sympathy for her in the west, she's not seen as a victim and she's unlikely to inspire so called grievance collectors. Instead her plight is a nice lesson to those who think they can slip in and out of terrorist organisations as if its a bit of tourism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

She hasn't shown an ounce of remorse she truly is rotten to the core which is why she's best left where she is let the Syrians deal with her she's their problem now.

British citizenship IS a right. that is exactly what it is. It is right bestowed on anybody born in the united kingdom. Now you may argue that the british goverment is correct to strip her of that citizenship but dont pretend that british citizenship is not something she has by right.

It's a right to get it when you're born. It's not a right to keep it when you fight against your own country. Why do you think it should be unconditional and lifelong? If she hadn't gone to Syria and done what she did, she'd be able to keep it no bother. Her choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,599 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm loathe to support the brits in anything, and they will arguably have made a balls of their economy in a few weeks.
    But fair f*cks to them and their leaders for having the balls to do what they did.

If she was irish she'd probably be let back in here and have a bunch of extreme leftists supporting her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

To be honest , mentally, a 19 year old and a 15 year old are not too far removed. A normal 15 year old would not see a war on tv and think it was a good idea to go join up with the Caliphate. Her parents need to be heavily investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's very worrying amount of people backing her claim to any right to British citizenship, when she got dual Citizenship.

Using her Child as excuse, but forgetting all the children and babies murdered by ISIS full stop, that she openly supports

Did the British tell her to join and tricked her or something?

It's not something I worry about. She made her own bed and was still not sorry it

She gave up those rights when she became a perceived threat to national security.

The state has a right under law to have her citizenship revoked if she is considered a threat to national security and IF she has citizenship of a second country.

That is enshrined in their laws.

They are doing nothing illegal here at all.
    It's a right to get it when you're born. It's not a right to keep it when you fight against your own country. Why do you think it should be unconditional and lifelong? If she hadn't gone to Syria and done what she did, she'd be able to keep it no bother. Her choice.

You both really need to read the posts you are quoting.

This thread really has gone full gammon. It's like reading the comments on Daily Mail articles.

• Advertisement

This thread really has gone full gammon. It's like reading the comments on Daily Mail articles.

Why?

Because people back the UK state to exercise the rights it has under its own laws?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement