Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening - Nintendo Switch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yep there is. It's only a small change but there is an additional part if you do.

Just googled the difference. It’s very minor but I’ve actually only had zero death playthroughs bar my first time so I didn’t realise. It’s a nice cherry on top though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,852 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Late game spoiler
    was that frog king Wart?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Late game spoiler
    was that frog king Wart?

Yup. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Got my Links Awakening Amiibo today. It's.......beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,852 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

chrislad wrote: »
    Yup. :)

End game spoilers
    Poor Wart only exists in dreams

Enjoyed it overall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Can't be a thief and get a perfect game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Just flew past the 3rd dungeon. The game is a LOT of fun and full of great game design. The pacing is just right, so you never get stuck for too long and the rewards are well laid out. It's bright and cheerful and gorgeous to look at. I've forgotten all about frame rate issues :)

I really like the map. It's high res and easy to zoom in/out. You could nearly play the game directly on the map :) Onev tip - use markers in dungeons of the same type to pair stair exits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Only annoying thing ive found with the game has been recently in a dungeon there was 3 enemies in a particular room. I killed all 3 but then didn't know how to progress any further. Spent a half hour wandering around the dungeon for something i missed. Eventually looked it up online to see what i was missing. I killed the 3 enemies in the wrong order. Seems kinda stupid. Once i killed the 3 in the correct order i got a key and was ready to progress. Seemed a bit stupid to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

For that one you get a hint as to what order to kill them via one of those owl statues earlier in the dungeon.

Had to cheat to get the shy guys in 2nd dungeon.
    Had no idea what to do.
    Feel a bit bad.
    Never cheated once on OOT.
    But I have less time now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've got the ocarina and finished the face shrine but can't find Marin now, not in mabe village, mountains or animal village.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Try the beach

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Try the beach

I have, she got me into the dessert

Dungeon 4 and 5 done. Bosses are really well animated and have a nice weight to them. A nice cutscene too. Poor auld Link doesn't say much. The rest of the characters are rabbiting on and he just goes "...". Love it. :)

(I know this is a trick for the player to get into the character and and put their own interpretation of the response in ... still really endearing)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

just finished the game , definitely well worth the price of purchase and is definitely a AAA game.

On another note, i thought there was a trading/swap games thread on boards.ie but it seems to have disappeared? I'm looking to trade/sell the game but i can't find anything in the games forums??

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Probably going to trade in Link's Awakening for Pokemon. Big let down LA was.

PostWoke wrote: »
    Probably going to trade in Link's Awakening for Pokemon. Big let down LA was.

How so? It was pretty much a reskin of the original with some minor quality of life upgrades, and a shiny new art style. I didn't think it added anything new to the game, but it certainly was an accurate representation of what the original game was. Perhaps going into it with eyes that are coming right off Breath of the Wild, I can understand, as my son is in a similar boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The big problem I have with Link's Awakening is its price. It's a remaster of a 26 year old, small, very short game. Breath of the Wild was worth every penny, was original and its scope completely devours LA many times over. I think Link's Awakening should have cost €25, €30 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

sligeach wrote: »
    The big problem I have with Link's Awakening is its price. It's a remaster of a 26 year old, small, very short game. Breath of the Wild was worth every penny, was original and its scope completely devours LA many times over. I think Link's Awakening should have cost €25, €30 max.

Its biggest weakness was that it was a 26 year old game originally built for a console that had 2 buttons. It makes sense to remake an old game but there is only so much you can do. They should have done something like they did with A Link Between Worlds where you make a different game with different new mechanics in a familiar world.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    Its biggest weakness was that it was a 26 year old game originally built for a console that had 2 buttons. It makes sense to remake an old game but there is only so much you can do. They should have done something like they did with A Link Between Worlds where you make a different game with different new mechanics in a familiar world.

Agreed on all points, but it was what it was, and it's hard to blame the game for being what it was advertised to be - the price is a completely separate issue (and I do agree it was way too expensive, but the sales didn't prove that point out really) - It is what is was, and I enjoyed it while it lasted, but I certainly didn't get more or less than I expected. I'd love a new game in the same art style though, similar to what you're saying.

chrislad wrote: »
    How so? It was pretty much a reskin of the original with some minor quality of life upgrades, and a shiny new art style. I didn't think it added anything new to the game, but it certainly was an accurate representation of what the original game was.

That's the problem. Obtuse game design to artificially pad the game's length is better off left in the past, it just frustrates the player. LA remake also makes a lot of aesthetic changes that cover up more telegraphed ques in the original, like tiles in an arrow shape on the ground, etc. I had to go for a guide almost immediately with the remake, right at the raccoon, because previous Zeldas, and most games really, have trained me to think the solution must be in the same area. As soon as I was leaving the forest to the right, I was turning around without even seeing the witches house. The graphics heavily transition here too, from foggy and gloomy to bright and sunny, it just made me turn around, the answer couldn't possibly over there in my mind. This has continued as the game has gone on, not knowing to lift a jar when jumping on the platform with the face, not knowing to throw a jar at the crow that won't move for the feather... it's just a very old style of design. And the 8-direction movement doesn't help in just making this game feel as outdated as its' design is.

And the performance is shocking, I've never come across a game before where I'd have preferred them to just lock it to a smooth 30. Would be very hesitant of any Oracle remakes now. And definitely won't be paying 60 for something like this again.
    ERG89 wrote: »

??? This isn't an issue at all. They've heavily utilized the other controls on the Switch. There's even item slot buttons now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,383 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Any chance you could chat about this in the Links Awakening thread??

Any chance you could chat about this in the Links Awakening thread??

None. He asked a question here. LM isn't out till tomorrow. Much more hopeful for that tbh :pac:

I've been on a media blackout for this game, what is the multi like? More co-op of single player content, or dedicated multiplayer content?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Link's Awakening is the perfect length for the game it is. I don't judge a game on length but on how good it is. And links awakening is one of the very best games ever made.

Now if only my ex girlfriends had my standards.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And links awakening is one of the very best games ever made.

How so? What makes it better than other Zeldas even? I see very little that could be construed as a benefit. Seems like a fan game without an antagonist tbh. It can't be the dungeons, they're mostly easy and not at all inventive. I haven't disliked a Zelda since the ugly, edgelord Twilight Princess. Minish is the next 'worst', though a massive improvement, but again, really dodgy getting into dungeons, needed a guide, too obtuse. But far more inventive, and far more present fun. Glad they didn't remake Minish in this style, they really need to play with scale differences. And for god sake they need to lock it to 30fps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mod Note: Please remember this is the appropriate thread for the discussion of Links Awakening, keep other game specific threads for those games only, especially when it goes from a mention to a debate.
    Thanks

bada_bing wrote: »
    just finished the game , definitely well worth the price of purchase and is definitely a AAA game.

On another note, i thought there was a trading/swap games thread on boards.ie but it seems to have disappeared? I'm looking to trade/sell the game but i can't find anything in the games forums??

CeX is FULL of Link's Awakening. Crazy. More than Let's Go even. The people have most definitely spoken. What a let down. Biggest disappointment on Switch since Odyssey and its' 30 disparate art styles.

Give me Wind Waker and Sunshine on Switch Nintendo grumble grumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

As I said before it's a very short game. You can beat the game in a couple of decent play sessions. To do everything would take under 20 hours or for someone like myself who's played it numerous times over the years, you can half that. It's not a game like Smash Bros., Mario Kart or Super Mario Maker that have tonnes of replayability. Once you beat the game, that’s it, there's no incentive to play it again. And comparing it again to BOTW, the DLC for that takes longer to beat than Link's Awakening, which cost €20.

If Xtravision, Chartbusters or similar were still around, Link's Awakening would be an ideal game to rent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PostWoke wrote: »
    How so? What makes it better than other Zeldas even? I see very little that could be construed as a benefit. Seems like a fan game without an antagonist tbh.

What can I say, it's just fun. I enjoyed the original game immensely and the remake is just as fun. That's all a game really needs to be. And that ending is genuinely moving and it's the best Zelda game narratively other than Majora's Mask.

Advertisement