Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening - Nintendo Switch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Cina wrote: »
    60 quid is pure madness for this. Switch prices suck.

€60 for a completely rewritten and rebuilt game from the ground up seems fair to me. This was a huge project to undertake, just using the old game as a template.

€60 seems reasonable. They're not trying to sell the old GB/GBC game for full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I think some people are unhappy that they are paying €60 for a Zelda game from 1993 that can be finished in about 15 hours whilst comparing it to BoW for the same price that they could possibly put well over 100 hours into.

Anyway I will have to wait till tomorrow to pick up my copy from the parcel motel from Base that was only €45.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Mr E wrote: »
    €60 for a completely rewritten and rebuilt game from the ground up seems fair to me. This was a huge project to undertake, just using the old game as a template.

€60 seems reasonable. They're not trying to sell the old GB/GBC game for full price.

I think €60 is a bit steep but as others have said, better prices can be found, I'd probably have it more around €45 which is what I paid for it from TheGameCollection so I'm happy out. That's what I'd consider the retail price and for that value it's spot on.

The price of the limited edition though is pure gouging, essentially €35 for an art book and steel case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Just looked at my emails, my copy from TheGameCollection has arrived in the Parcel Motel depot, should be in a locker tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Xenji wrote: »
    I think some people are unhappy that they are paying €60 for a Zelda game from 1993 that can be finished in about 15 hours whilst comparing it to BoW for the same price that they could possibly put well over 100 hours into.

Anyway I will have to wait till tomorrow to pick up my copy from the parcel motel from Base that was only €45.

15 hours is a stretch. Granted, I’ve played every version of this but after about 2 hours, I’m finished 5/8 dungeons, have 24 secret seashells and I’m on the second row of hearts. It’s fun but I can see why people may complain. As a newbie to the game, it’s much bette value but that’s true for all remakes. I would have liked if they included the original versions too though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm happy with the €45 I paid too, €60 is a bit steep alright. I have been spoiled by years of picking up cheap PS4 and Xbox One games that drop drastically in price mere months after release.

Looking forward to this as about 2 months ago I played my DX version again for a little while, but the regular inventory swapping was driving me mad, which is fixed in this version. And for shame I have never finished that version!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

The framerate when transitioning between areas is brutal. And I reckon its running at 60 everywhere else which just makes it seem worse :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Mr E wrote: »

Come on, it's still a remaster of a 25 year old game. Sure it's redone but they still have all the same ingredients as the first one, there's simply no way it cost them even remotely as much dollah to make as other similarly priced Nintendo games like BotW and Mario. It's also 15 hours long! It's an absolute rip-off if you're paying €60.

Nintendo tend to be incredibly greedy with their game prices, mind, so it's not exactly unexpected.

Cina wrote: »
    Come on, it's still a remaster of a 25 year old game. Sure it's redone but they still have all the same ingredients as the first one, there's simply no way it cost them even remotely as much dollah to make as other similarly priced Nintendo games like BotW and Mario. It's also 15 hours long! It's an absolute rip-off if you're paying €60.

Nintendo tend to be incredibly greedy with their game prices, mind, so it's not exactly unexpected.

But you're ignoring the fact that no one has put a gun to your head to buy it.

uchimata83 wrote: »
    But you're ignoring the fact that no one has put a gun to your head to buy it.

The excuse of 'nobody is making you buy it' doesn't mean someone can't complain that the price is high.

• Advertisement

The excuse of 'nobody is making you buy it' doesn't mean someone can't complain that the price is high.

It's a premium game - regardless of their opinion on the length of it, its still a AAA title for the switch. If you've an axe to grind, look at all the other games that are annoyingly much higher on Switch than on other platforms. Its one of the few titles that is not a port from the wii u and is a switch exclusive.

uchimata83 wrote: »
    It's a premium game - regardless of their opinion on the length of it, its still a AAA title for the switch. If you've an axe to grind, look at all the other games that are annoyingly much higher on Switch than on other platforms. Its one of the few titles that is not a port from the wii u and is a switch exclusive.

An axe to grind? Wow. Chill out.

€60 is too high. I purchased it for €45 and feel the price is spot on. I certainly don't think I got a bargain at that price, its perfectly priced at €45.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

€60 is too high. I purchased it for €45 and feel the price is spot on. I certainly don't think I got a bargain at that price, its perfectly priced at €45.

Once I see a Zelda release, I don't even look at the price, I'm too busy scrambling for the pre-order button :o I feel €60 blips is perfectly fine, and am more than happy to pay it (I paid more for the Ltd Edition).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

€60 plus €15-20 for the amiibo which does very little is expensive but that YS esque intro was worth every penny. I dodged the chain chomp dog first time never did that on Gameboy or Gameboy Color version. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Loving the Pokemon Go inspired egg of the windfish

Was 'axe to grind' too harsh for you? :o

45 is a great price for it, and I'm sure it will go to the Nintendo Selects when the console is at the end of it's life, so if the other user is happy to wait 4 years then best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Did anyone buying in Smyths get the poster and stickers set with purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I asked the girl serving me for the magnets, no interest in the poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Just opened limited edition box from Smyths, home delivery. All beautifully packaged. Art book looks great. Steelbook Gameboy case and regular case.

Smyths also included a poster and 2 sets of stickers /magnets. Which was a nice touch. So, thank you Smyths!

First time to buy a limited edition. Bit excessive. But nice. Can trade it for food if I have to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Got my Limited Edition. Haven't opened it yet, but got the extras from Smyths as well. He brought out the game then just remembered the poster/stickers or whatever they are.
    Is that just a Smyths offer?

I was curious so looked at adverts and ebay. Not up on adverts yet, but some LE's on ebay as well as steelbooks on their own. Not cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

conormario wrote:
    Smyths also included a poster and 2 sets of stickers /magnets. Which was a nice touch. So, thank you Smyths!

Ah missed out on that! Not sure if it was worth 75 for it, the boom is nice but...

Am really enjoying the game, its great. Real nostalgia trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Got the special edition and map and magnet stickers from Smyths. Was disappointed no amiibo came with it though, like with twilight princess.
    I presume the amiibo are sold out?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I thought it was released tomorrow, I got my days and dates mixed up as I have been busy this week.

I have just seen it being reviewed a few places and it seems the normal price for it right across Europe is €45 - €50. I traded a (brand new) game for it, so it only cost me what I paid for that game + €10. I think I paid €32.
    The Japanese Amazon are selling it with the artbook for €71 delivered including import fees and shipping.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%BC%E3%83%AB%E3%83%80%E3%81%AE%E4%BC%9D%E8%AA%AC-%E5%A4%A2%E3%82%92%E3%81%BF%E3%82%8B%E5%B3%B6-ARTBOOK-SET-Switch/dp/B07ST179PT/

Items: JPY 6,079
    Shipping & handling: JPY 1.016
    Import Fees Deposit: JPY 1,348

Order total: JPY 8,443 (€71.23)

I treated myself - :D:D Expected to arrive on the 25th - 27th of September

The Japanese edition has different (nicer) cover but contains only a Softcover artbook. The EU version looks like a hardcover.
    Text is English.
    You can pay for optional extras a card holder thing and a Japanese exlcusive trailer.
    https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/1174935164037632003

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Liken the bits of links awakening i played, the Vaseline lens thing around the screen took a bit getting used to tho. Got the le too. But did t open the poster or stickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I just opened the stickers to check and can confirm they're magnets, which make them an even nicer surprise to get with the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,403 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I picked it up in store and got nothing additional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Got mine with the game collection. Didn't arrive on Friday but im away until Monday anyways so not too put out. Hopefully it arrives Monday. Says online it's shipped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had the quickest of goes of it last night on Switch.
    It seems pretty great, like a whole new game, despite obviously not.
    Still, I'd say the vast majority of people will be playing this for the first time and so they will have no issues with it being a remaster.
    Also, I'd say €60 is a tad steep, I got mine for €25 in GS' deal but I don't think I would have paid the full price for it.
    That said, the games are few and far between that I would pay €60 for, I think €45 is the sweet spot for it, ahead of an inevitable re-release in a couple of years in a discounted classic series.
    The bokeh effect on-screen in interesting, be nicer again if you had the option to turn it off!
    Love to see the rest of the 2D LoZ games of the GB era make the remastered jump, from the Seasons/Ages to Minish Cap, that would be amazing, not to mention LttP.
    It being a shorter adventure probably suits me just fine, I don't have 20/30 hours to sink into a game these days, a title like this is perfect for me.
    And the dungeon builder is sure to stretch that life-span out further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

It's a lovely game so far for me. Haven't played it before so it's all new to me. Characters, animation, lightning, music, effects, puzzles, combat, pace all great. Has a great feel to it. Smile on face kinda game.

I don't understand the frame rate drops at this price and for relatively simple top down game play (e.g. compared to fully 3d, super polished Mario odyssey). Nintendo should have done this in house with their custom game engines or license those out to their second parties. Hopefully they patch it soon.

• Advertisement

conormario wrote: »
    It's a lovely game so far for me. Haven't played it before so it's all new to me. Characters, animation, lightning, music, effects, puzzles, combat, pace all great. Has a great feel to it. Smile on face kinda game.

I don't understand the frame rate drops at this price and for relatively simple top down game play (e.g. compared to fully 3d, super polished Mario odyssey). Nintendo should have done this in house with their custom game engines or license those out to their second parties. Hopefully they patch it soon.

I expect this to be patched first as it was evident from previews a few months back. The options screen is remarkably bare too. The quality of life updates are great but it definitely could have done with a little bit more refinement

Advertisement