Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening - Nintendo Switch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Get a 3ds and Ocarina of Time it's a great introduction to Zelda

It's probably the definitive way to play Ocarina nowadays, superb superb game. Love everything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Inviere wrote: »
    It's probably the definitive way to play Ocarina nowadays, superb superb game. Love everything about it.

I'm one of the few who was never that enamoured with it(had it on N64). I can respect that it was truly groundbreaking for the time, but as a gameplay experience it irked me in many ways - Navi(enough said), the sheer amount of traipsing around one had to do getting from one place to another, I also found many of the characters uninspiring and uninteresting (and more than a little creepy with the gormless expressions most of them had), the 3d graphics were often glitchy and interfering (understandable for the time but very annoying none the less).

manual_man wrote: »
    the sheer amount of traipsing around one had to do getting from one place to another

I'd avoid BotW if I were you, if you think OoT is bad for travelling :o

I'd avoid BotW if I were you, if you think OoT is bad for travelling :o

Say what? I'll take it you didn't enjoy any Fast Travel while playing BotW then :p

Not to mention that BotW's world is infinitely more inviting in terms of exploration that OoT's(or any other game ever for that matter). So i reject your bad comparison :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Are Link's Awakening for Switch Graphics DISAPPOINTING?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=v8IJCYP1WYs

It's possible this was a 3DS game once upon a time. Does anyone else think Link's face is a bit lifeless or lacks soul? It's the eyes namely, they're dead.
    DzoD0rPXgAEnJuc?format=jpg&name=medium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Typical clickbaity shite from RGT. The graphics are gorgeous.

As for his face, at least you can see it. Nobody complained about ALBW.

95047_3DS_ZeldaLBW_2756458b.jpg

I love what i'v seen of the graphics for Links Awakening remake so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Inviere wrote:

I did love the masks elements and race changing in majors mask though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Mr E wrote: »
    Typical clickbaity shite from RGT. The graphics are gorgeous.

I can see how you may think the title is clickbaitish. But did you watch the video itself? It's really positive and he makes some excellent points. I recommend people watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

I remember getting an N64 with Mario 64 and Ocarina. Tried Zelda and was thinking what is all this twee crap and turned it off. I then went back eventually and forced myself to play it.

Once I'd got through the deku tree it just opened up into this most amazing experience. Epona, time travel , the music , the sheer amount of dungeons with some very clever design. Then it just becomes even more epic ... It goes up to 11 :) I finished it without cheating or looking up any hints. Totally fantastic experience. Worth every penny and hour of my time. No regrets.

Now I've not had the same experience with the other similar 3d Zeldas. It feel like it's just one dungeon crawl after the next. I've yet to complete wind waker and twilight princess. I completed skyward sword after years of it just sitting there. Found majora's mask just too dark. Twilight Princess is also too downbeat for a game you need to invest so much time in. Basically they are a slog and do not give that much of a new experience over Ocarina for all the time you put in. Regret spending so much time on these.

Then BOTW came along. You are totally free in time and space. You always achieve something when you play it. And at your own pace and your way. I've played this twice now and loved every minute. Really I had had enough of video games and then this sucked me back in. Damn you Nintendo :)

So for me at least I'd recommend Ocarina and BOTW. They are different kinds of games but both masterpieces. If you are stuck for time, then go for BOTW.

• Advertisement

manual_man wrote: »
    Say what? I'll take it you didn't enjoy any Fast Travel while playing BotW then :p

Ah come on now, OoT's map is a mere fraction of BotW's, even with fast travel there's no comparison.
    Not to mention that BotW's world is infinitely more inviting in terms of exploration that OoT's

Fancy that, the difference twenty years can make :o BotW is a fine game, I still prefer OoT and that style of Zelda game though. Not having dungeons was a killer blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Inviere wrote:
    Fancy that, the difference twenty years can make BotW is a fine game, I still prefer OoT and that style of Zelda game though. Not having dungeons was a killer blow.

Agreed. BOTW was enough to turn me off zelda games. Its just so unzelda like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Adyx wrote: »
    As much as I want to play BotW, I couldn't justify buying a Switch. Now however...

My first Zelda game also, in fact the first game I bought for my Gameboy (had other games that game with it) and one I still play regularly. Now if only they'd port Metroid 2 to the Switch as well.
    Cotts72 wrote: »
    BOTW itself has justified me buying the switch before Xmas. Brilliant game with so much to do

Literally went out the next day and bought a Switch (with BotW of course). :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Ah come on now, OoT's map is a mere fraction of BotW's, even with fast travel there's no comparison.

Fancy that, the difference twenty years can make :o BotW is a fine game, I still prefer OoT and that style of Zelda game though. Not having dungeons was a killer blow.

I prefer the shrines to the traditional dungeons. A dungeon has to be completed ; the game is blocked until you complete it. Some of them are arduous. The shrines you can complete in any order or not at all. Plus you have the devine beasts for a more traditional dungeon. Maybe my attention span has gone to hell or I just don't have time to commit to a whole dungeon :):(

I also like the fact that shrines can pop up anywhere and there are some interesting quests to find some of then.
    With the traditional dungeon you just know you have N more to do after the current one

I do like in a link between worlds that you can do the dungeons in any order plus you have all weapons to start with.

Different horses for different courses I guess. I just remember feeling regularly frustrated playing it, having no idea what I was supposed to be doing a lot of the time. I found it overwhelming. There were moments of brilliance, but I didn’t feel there was a good flow to proceedings. Of course the N64 was a huge difference in game design coming from 16bit and 8bit. I found N64 very jarring at times - as the technology and polygons struggled to render and it felt like they were poking into your eye :pac: - I didn’t get into Mario 64 either :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As much as things have moved along since the release of OoT over twenty years ago, that opening scene, the fly through of the village, and then onto the game itself, chugging frame-rate and all, it's still an evocative game and thrilling to play.
    BotW may look a lot better but the lack of effective dungeons does hurt, even this most perfect of games, a little bit.
    The Shrines just don't compare.

MM then takes the OoT lightweight fantasy fare of the typical LoZ title and makes it far more challenging, both in terms of gameplay and narrative.

Hopefully the inevitable follow-up to BotW will do the same, that game engine is capable of so much, it'd be a shame to have to wait until 2021 for the next LoZ proper, with only remasters and rereleases until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'm replaying it now just beat the first dungeon 20 minutes took weeks first time round on N64

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    BotW may look a lot better but the lack of effective dungeons does hurt, even this most perfect of games, a little bit.
    The Shrines just don't compare.

Agreed. I found BotW really was at its absolute best, when working on the Divine Beasts. It really felt like a Zelda game then. Shrines are grand, but Zelda was, and should be, always about the dungeons. The overworld was only really a medium of travelling from one dungeon to another. In BotW, it's almost all overworld, and very little dungeon action. Again, a fine game, but too radical a departure for me to say it's up with OoT, LttP, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

BOTW, as fantastic as it, could easy be reskinned with different models and at no point would it ever occur to you that it's a Zelda game.

I've no problem with a game series trying to depart from the usual course, but this was just too much IMO. In the end if just lost a lot of the magic that makes a Zelda game what it is.

It's annoying as a standalone game it's absolutely amazing and I loved every minute of it, I just wish it wasn't a Zelda game if that makes any sense.

As for this Link's Awakening remake - big eejit that I am, I didn't realise until now that it was a remake and was wondering why there was so much chatter about a VC release :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Agreed. I found BotW really was at its absolute best, when working on the Divine Beasts. It really felt like a Zelda game then. Shrines are grand, but Zelda was, and should be, always about the dungeons. The overworld was only really a medium of travelling from one dungeon to another. In BotW, it's almost all overworld, and very little dungeon action. Again, a fine game, but too radical a departure for me to say it's up with OoT, LttP, etc.

I think it had a lot to do with the game engine, it was the Xenoblade Chronicles X engine and, like that game, was preoccupied with the overworld environments and towns therein, rather than my personal hope, which was something more like Skyrim, where a ruin would lead to a dungeon and an ad-hoc adventure right there.
    OoT had an overworld that still felt vast, we should always be wary of judging the past by present standards I suppose.

I can't wait for Link's Awakening though, I wonder if the ending has been spoiled by the decades since it's release though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I personally loved the alternative to dungeons that it offered. Traversing the land and coming across the shrines was a joy and they felt challenges as part of the journey. I find dungeons can take you out of the overall journey of a game if it's a huge or really difficult one, in BOTW you were always part of the overall world without being contained in a set challenge area. The towns and pathways felt more alive too because they weren't just ways to the next dungeon, they were ways to wherever you wanted them to be. It felt more like a 'world' then a set world with set enclosed areas.

Corholio wrote: »
    It felt more like a 'world' then a set world with set enclosed areas.

Oh it definitely was, and they succeeded in creating a wonderful game too. It's just, I prefer a more linear Zelda, with the staple dungeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Get a 3ds and Ocarina of Time it's a great introduction to Zelda

Think I'll avoid having to buy another console or device for now :)

I do has a 2DS, that gathers absolute dust and was a total waste of money when I got it years ago, if there is any decent Zelda for that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

TheDoc wrote: »
    Think I'll avoid having to buy another console or device for now :)

I do has a 2DS, that gathers absolute dust and was a total waste of money when I got it years ago, if there is any decent Zelda for that?

The 3ds games run on the 2ds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Kimbot wrote: »
    The 3ds games run on the 2ds :)

Oh cool. GF was just asking if I could charge up the DS and put on games so will look for Zelda

• Registered Users Posts: 13 s.curran

chrislad wrote: »
    Same. It was my first ever Zelda game. I cannot wait. It looks amazing.

Completely agree, the first GB game I played through. If I remember rightly I only had Link's awakening, Tetris and Mario Bros. Remember the days when 3 games was enough to keep you occupied? :)

These days if I could only keep my unplayed list down to three I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Getting close now. The first review is out in Famitsu.

9/9/9/8

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I loved the Gameboy and Gameboy Color version of this game but I really can't find the room for it in my backlog.

The fact it's a Ninty made Zelda game means little to no chance of it being bad also zilch of it going on sale or being reduced in price so I'm gonna go for Ni No Kuni and pick this up in November instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Day one purchase for me, probably because I've just finished ALTTP again and am craving more old school Zelda (albeit a very shiny and new-looking old school).

• Advertisement

I've always ended up buying a physical copy of pretty much every Legend of Zelda title released here, CDi games aside!
    As a result, this is a must have, and paid for thanks to GS and their rather generous trade in offer.
    Can't wait to play it all over again.
    I too have the GB original and the GBC remake.

Advertisement