Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn down two houses and you're off the list

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

RasTa wrote: »
    Finally.

McVery on the radio now saying he doesn't agree.

But if you turn down two houses now whilst on the social housing list. You're off the list for 5 years.
    Turn down 2 houses, get to stay where you are.

I'm not seeing any carrot, nor any stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Bluff, guff, bluster and distraction in response in response to the 2011 question.

I remember it well, I emigrated, there were empty gaffs all over the place and we couldn't pay the nurses or teachers never mind build houses.

And I hadn't realised about your username........ that's really really weird.

Matt accuses the government of spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Matt accuses the government of spin.

Never copped the username myself.

My partners friend ( already has a 4 year old giel ) found out she is having another girl in September. I thought this was great news but apparently it's not. She cant request a move from her 2 bed apartment now to a 3 bed house. We have created an absolute monster in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The only 'free house' is the Mansion house and I believe the Mayors term is limited.
    People pay rent based on income, or we could put them up in the Gresham, which do you think?

And if their source of income is the free money from the dole or the free childrens allowance for their sixteen kids by 14 different fathers??

And if their source of income is the free money from the dole or the free childrens allowance for their sixteen kids by 14 different fathers??

Its common knowledge you can stop paying rent when you get a council home. Thats why the demand is so high. Thats why people declare homeless for a few years instead of renting through HAP when you have to pay or face eviction.

You can also make compensation claims against the council for accidents in your house. A trip or fall here and there.

Its the gravy train

• Advertisement

Its common knowledge you can stop paying rent when you get a council home. Thats why the demand is so high. Thats why people declare homeless for a few years instead of renting through HAP when you have to pay or face eviction.

You can also make compensation claims against the council for accidents in your house. A trip or fall here and there.

Its the gravy train

It’s like winning the lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Its the gravy train

If you register as homeless , you're accommodation at the start is going to be One Night Only beds , moving to Assertive Engagement , all in hostels.

You're assessed to see what type of accommodation is best for you , it could a six month STA placement , B&B etc.

None of them are walks in the park.

If you have a family , most likely B&B or family hubs.

You used be assessed under different needs , I think now there's no priority though you may be looked at if you medical issues.

One way or another , you're in for a hairy ride.

If you register as homeless , you're accommodation at the start is going to be One Night Only beds , moving to Assertive Engagement , all in hostels.

You're assessed to see what type of accommodation is best for you , it could a six month STA placement , B&B etc.

You used be assessed under different needs , I think now there's no priority though you may be looked at if you medical issues.

Not too bad for a free house at the end of it to be honest. Not too bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

have you experienced life in those sh1tholes?

have you experienced life in those sh1tholes?

Sounds so bad alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Great to see someone actually present FACTS on this.

Some seem to think you can rock up to homeless services on Monday morning and be in 5 star luxury by Monday evening.

For what it's worth - in order to be classed as homeless as best I understand it.....

1) you have to have nowhere to go on the day you present.

2) so you can't present as homeless today on the basis that your deadline to move out of the rental is Friday NEXT WEEK.

3) Councils WILL push/encourage you to stay with friends and family first (so NO simply living with your parents does not mean homeless in their eyes).

For me this idea that declaring homeless is a route to landing dream outcomes feels a myth.

Utterly delusional . People are declaring homeless when that couldntbe further from the truth . I know people personally who have done it. They have done a stint staying in the Regency and now have their own place

Wake up and see whats going on .

People describing hotels as hell on Earth. For gods sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

In any case - whether you are a single mum working 15 hours a week in the local cafe or a top CEO in Google - everyone is caught up in the same basic problem.

There are LESS housing units available than people who need a place to live.

There are NOT enough homes available from all sources and tenures of housing.

That's assuming you're local authority is happy you're definitely meeting the criteria of homeless.

ONO means your out by ten am and must source your bed each night and bring all your belongings with you.

STA , TEA staff will tell very fast your housing options .
    Of course , if you want to brazen it out in hostels it's up to yourself. Hopefully the mental and physical health holds up and your cool sharing bedrooms and bathrooms with IV drug users and people with significant mental I'll health. Oh and you'll be expected to pay rent.

The "free house" is definitely not guaranteed .

After about five or so years you're local authority might start looking at you for some sort of housing.

That's assuming you're local authority is happy you're definitely meeting the criteria of homeless.

ONO means your out by ten am and must source your bed each night and bring all your belongings with you.

STA , TEA staff will tell very fast your housing options .
    Of course , if you want to brazen it out in hostels it's up to yourself. Hopefully the mental and physical health holds up and your cool sharing bedrooms and bathrooms with IV drug users and people with significant mental I'll health. Oh and you'll be expected to pay rent.

The "free house" is definitely not guaranteed .

After about five or so years you're local authority might start looking at you for some sort of housing.

Hold on one minute.

We’re talikng about hotels.

You don’t get turfed out during the day.

I heard Eoghan Murphy stating the other day that they have got the average time spent in emergency accommodation down to 3 months until your moved onto permanent housing.

Let’s stop the denial, once you go homeless you are looked at as priority.

Sure Margaret Cash got her house in Tallaght a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Friend no 1 ‘homeless ‘ stuck a knife up to a fellow resident in a hotel, was arrested and charged (in the papers) few months later moved to a hub
    Now has their foreva home has several kids Some live with her, majority don’t

Friend no 2 living in a hostel with their child 3 years now. Stays there 3 -4 days other days with their mum in their house

Offered an apartment in dublin suburb but refused as wants City Centre

In no rush to leave the hostel as will be worth it once she gets her foreva home in the City Centre . Does not need to move their possessions out everyday

Hold on one minute.

I heard Eoghan Murphy stating the other day that they have got the average time spent in emergency accommodation down to 3 months until your moved onto permanent housing.

Nope , I work in a hostel .

Homeless priority went last may.

Eoghan Murphy is quoting move ons from family hubs into private rented.

Three months , I'd go live in a hostel myself.

Friend no 1 ‘homeless ‘ stuck a knife up to a fellow resident in a hotel, was arrested and charged (in the papers) few months later moved to a hub

Friend no 2 living in a hostel with their child 3 years now. Stays there 3 -4 days other days with their mum in their house

Offered an apartment in clongriffen but refused as wants City Centre

In no rush to leave the hostel as will be worth it once she gets her foreva home in the City Centre . Does not need to move their possessions out everyday

Absolute jokeshop.

Madness and unsustainable.

Hold on one minute.

We’re talikng about hotels.

You don’t get turfed out during the day.

Exactly . People keep pedaling utter nonsense to defend the free house and welfare spongers.

Offered an apartment in clongriffen but refused as wants City Centre

There's no kids in hostels.

• Advertisement

Exactly . People keep pedaling utter nonsense to defend the free house and welfare spongers.

Like yourself.

Nope , I work in a hostel .

Homeless priority went last may.

Eoghan Murphy is quoting move ons from family hubs into private rented.

Three months , I'd go live in a hostel myself.

And why did homeless priority go. Because it was full of chancers .

And why did homeless priority go. Because it was full of chancers .

That's spot on. You got something right.

Not full of chancers , some clowns thought they were going to be automatically housed.

Now go declare yourself "homeless".

I cant i have a mortgage for the next 33 years

I cant i have a mortgage for the next 33 years

Well there ya go.

You are right , there are some who will try abuse whatever system is in place.

But there's a lot who are genuine homeless.

There's no kids in hostels.

There are xxxxxx st or are they classified as b and bs? Either way it is 100% fact

There is , gardener st or are they classified as b and bs? Either way it is 100% fact

B&B. ****holes.

B&B. ****holes.

Never once complained about hers

She’s more than happy staying there until something suitable to her liking comes up

If was that ****, she would have taken the apartments offered in the past from the iveagh trust

Never once complained about hers

She’s more than happy staying there until something suitable to her liking comes up

If was that ****, she would have taken the apartments offered in the past from the iveagh trust

I don't doubt you.

That's a strange one , Iveagh trust housing association accommodation are plums , too class.

She's hardly spoofing you , is she?

• Advertisement

I don't doubt you.

That's a strange one , Iveagh trust housing association accommodation are plums , too class.

She's hardly spoofing you , is she?

Know her all my life, no reason to lie to me

Said was offered apartment in Dublin suburb, went to view it, looks really nice but too far from where she wants

Said she had difficulties but managed to get that area removed from her preference list and now just wanting in City Centre

Advertisement