Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Health Simon Harris and family trapped in home by protesters.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

Yurt! wrote: »
    He dropped out I believe. He interned with Frances Fitzgerald when she was a senator and she became his political patron.

Are you saying this guy - who says he is holding people to account - doesn't even have a college degree in this day and age?

And is running our health service?

Like Leo, he was there at the time. Champion my arse.
    In fact that's Leo's political career in a nutshell, "I was there at the time".

"It was like that when I got here" - Oliver Callan

Green&Red wrote: »
    He has a BA in Journalism, not exactly preparing him for life as Minister for Health but he has it none the less
    he doesn't have a degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Are you saying this guy - who says he is holding people to account - doesn't even have a college degree in this day and age?

College degree?

Wtf does that prove in peoole?

Not worth the paper it’s wrote on.

Any numpty can get a college degree nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

A college degree demonstrates a level of academic attainment. So I take you're not a numpty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

That’s not answering the question.

Who in Ireland can replace them at the present?

You want them booted out so put up the alternative.

I think that the person for the job would be someone with a past in running and owning a large business, being able to bargain and experience are priceless,
    Does not matter whether they possess a degree, life teaches all of us

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Degrees don't guarantee results in the political arena, esp qualifications that have fcuk all to do with their remit.

Whiff of academic snobbery here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

College degree?

Wtf does that prove in peoole?

Not worth the paper it’s wrote on.

Hmmm....I've seen some idiotic defense on here but this is by far the funniest.

I’m not defending him here.

I’m stating a degree doesn’t guarantee anything.

It’s ridiculous to suggest it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Harris is there for one reason and one reason only. To be there at the bidding of Varadkar. To take the heat off Varadkar. He will fall on his sword when Varadkar gives him the signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

In fairness to Harris, he's not the first politician to have a Damascene moment in relation to abortion. There are very few ideologues in the Dail.

Yeah, there were a few noses sniffing the air as to which way the wind was blowing until coming to an 'informed decision'...

It shows the holder has an ability to carry out reasoned thought and research, unless today's degrees are obtained off the back of a Cereal box.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Degrees don't guarantee results in the political arena, esp degrees that have fcuk all to do with their remit.

Whiff of academic snobbery here.

Let's get real here, fcuk the academic degree I'd agree they're not necessarily needed to successfully run large organizations, being business savvy with managerial skills, and a good head on you for figures and numbers always trump's a qualification.

Quite what experience 29 year old Simon had when he was entrusted with an entity double the size of the like of Ryanair, is beyond anyone's guess, including mine.

In fact just what business experience, (managerial or financial) did Simon have when he was given the gig:confused:

It shows the holder has an ability to carry out reasoned thought and research, unless today's degrees are obtained off the back of a Cereal box.

How many chances do you get to repeat exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A college degree isn't the be all and end all - Abraham Lincoln didn't go to college, and he's rightly revered as one of the greatest statesmen of the last few hundred years.

At least Simon isn't telling lies about his academic past, like a certain Taoiseach who had it on his CV that he went to UCD and the London School of Economics, and when neither institution had records of him, a spokesperson fudged it by saying he signed up to some courses but can't remember what they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

A college degree isn't the be all and end all - Abraham Lincoln didn't go to college, and he's rightly revered as one of the greatest statesmen of the last few hundred years.

At least Simon isn't telling lies about his academic past, like a certain Taoiseach who had it on his CV that he went to UCD and the London School of Economics, and when neither institution had records of him, a spokesperson fudged it by saying he signed up to some courses but can't remember what they were.
    Omg. Fake or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

in politics its not what you know - its who you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That makes Abraham's well known quote all the more ironic reading this post.

dont-believe-everything-you-read-on-the-internet-abraham-lincoln-5242750.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Omg. Fake or what ?

Can't remember exactly, but basically, his website had some "biographical inexactitudes" regarding his education, and when a journo did some digging, a spokesperson had to skilfully walk-back said inaccuracies.

This link has a little bit about it...

https://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/the-cult-of-bertie-ahern--29942291.html

How many chances do you get to repeat exams?

Changing the argument, I see. I never needed to repeat so can't answer your question. Try Google.

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote:

This has exactly what got to do with Harris's incompetence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Yurt! wrote:

This has exactly what got to do with Harris's incompetence?
    Look over there, nothing to see here...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭AbdulAbhaile

I’m not defending him here.

It’s ridiculous to suggest it.
    Running a government department is just like being a bin man, you pick it up as you go along?

Or maybe that explains why he's so rubbish at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

GAA Beo wrote: »
    Simon Harris was one of the most pro life TD's in Dail Eireann until the wind changed then he became one of the most pro abortion people in Ireland.

Or maybe as the minister for health he realised the effects that the 8th was having on women in this country, coupled with the blatant nimbyism of freely allowing women to travel for an abortion.
    Shame on him for changing his mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Running a government department is just like being a bin man, you pick it up as you go along?

Or maybe that explains why he's so rubbish at it.

How does any degree qualify you to do any job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Probably won those degrees on the horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Listowel Man

seamus wrote: »
    There is no party in the Dáil with the balls to take on health, no matter how much noise they make about it from the opposition benches

exactly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

Apparently, Richard Bruton is now being targeted.

...this is gas...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,266 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Apparently, Richard Bruton is now being targeted.

...this is gas...

It's almost like Fine Gael are paying them to get them sympathy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement