Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agent giving incorrect details

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

How do you know there has not been a bid at asking from A.N. Other?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The current bid is your bid from 3 days ago. It was rejected. Just because you withdrew the bid after it was rejected doesn't mean it is not the current bid.

You offered the asking price 3 days ago and it was rejected. The estate agent is telling possible buyers that they need to go above the asking price because the seller didn't accept the asking price only 3 days ago. It would be disingenuous of the estate agent to string buyers along with the 65k below asking when they did get an offer of asking price.

You clearly are not reading my replies and are stuck like a broken record.

The issue is not the EA telling people that the vendor didn't accept an offer at the asking price.
    The issue is the EA telling people they are biding against me starting from the asking price.

As a buyer there is s gulf of difference between bidding against someone else and bidding against what the vendor wants. If you can't comprehend this then i seriously question your experience and exposure to buying and selling anything, nevermind property.

This is simple stuff so if you still don't get it at this point i can't help you. You can lead a horse to water but apparently he can't do English comprehension while he is there.
    There's a lot I'd like to say but the forum rules forbid me.
    Keyboard warriors assemble!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

GreeBo wrote:

Several posters have hinted at the broken record but they weren't taking about me.
    GreeBo wrote:
    Fuming here.

Trust me when I tell this, it shows in each & every one of your comments on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

GreeBo wrote: »

The issue is not the EA telling people that the vendor didn't accept an offer at the asking price.
    The issue is the EA telling people they are biding against me starting from the asking price.

As a buyer there is s gulf of difference between bidding against someone else and bidding against what the vendor wants. If you can't comprehend this then i seriously question your experience and exposure to buying and selling anything, nevermind property.

This is simple stuff so if you still don't get it at this point i can't help you. You can lead a horse to water but apparently he can't do English comprehension while he is there.

Keyboard warriors assemble!
    :rolleyes:

Did you or did you not offer asking price?
    Was the offer accepted?

If the answer to these is Yes and No. What can you deduce?
    That the seller will not accept a bid at or below asking.....
    Why would the auctioneer continue to waste their own time and that of the seller/viewers by leading viewers to believe that offers below the asking price are acceptable? What's the only way to establish this?

Now that's not to say that people will bid or not but as you've said yourself the auctioneer may want to get this moving.

This has been asked half a dozen times or so but OP declines time & again to answer it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

With practically everyone having access to the internet then it is extremely plausible that someone put in an offer after the estate agents office has closed. Most people work similar hours to estate agents and so may not have the time to contact the estate agents while in work.

This has been asked half a dozen times or so but OP declines time & again to answer it

Once more proving you are not reading the thread.
    Answered multiple times.

GreeBo wrote:
    Once more proving you are not reading the thread. Answered multiple times.

Care to link it? People keep asking the same question so no one seems to be able to find your answer. I can't find where you have proof that no other bid has been made

The question is how do you know for certain that no one else has put in a bid for the asking price? It seems that you have no proof of this & you are just assuming that no one else has put in a bid?

kippy wrote: »
    Did you or did you not offer asking price?
    Was the offer accepted?

If the answer to these is Yes and No. What can you deduce?
    That the seller will not accept a bid at or below asking.....
    Why would the auctioneer continue to waste their own time and that of the seller/viewers by leading viewers to believe that offers below the asking price are acceptable? What's the only way to establish this?

Now that's not to say that people will bid or not but as you've said yourself the auctioneer may want to get this moving.

Please reread my post that you quoted.
    I'm not arguing that the vendor wants more than the asking or that the agent shouldn't tell people this.

Im arguing that the agent should not be telling people that they are biding against me at the asking price.

As a bidder you are in a much stronger position to get the house for less if there are no other bidders as the vendor might change their positron in The absence of market interest at their price point. The EA is removing this position from all other bidders by pretending there is a bidder at the asking.

There is no such bidder, I'm out at 65k below asking so the agent is lying when they say "There is a bidder at the asking price" which is what they are telling people. Not that an offer at asking wasn't accepted.

There is a huge difference between the two statements and it works only in favour of the EA and vendor and is not accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

GreeBo do you have an offer of any sort in with the EA right now ??
    Are you sure that you can realy afford a home in excess of a million, and your not stretching yourself to far.
    If the country takes a downturn or even Brexit will you still be happy paying for this.
    This forum is running for longer then your offer was with the EA and Iam perplexed. How someone can be worth so much money and still not understand what a single person has said in eleven pages.

Have some sympathy for your local Estate Agents
    You don't know half of what they have to put up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dubrov

Greebo, you've had a resounding answer in this thread. You seem to ignore any posts that do not align with your own views.

By all means go to the PRSA but it will be a complete waste of time for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Just buy a different house.

I wonder are there more suitable thread titles?

Maybe something like: "I broke up with my Estate Agent, he didn't break up with me!"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Perhaps the EA is stating that the asking price is what it is because he doesnt want to say "Oh we've had an offer in, but its 65k under the asking"

He'd then be getting lowball offers from everyone who even looked at the house in any half sincere way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

GreeBo - I understand where you’re coming from. Based on your info, it does seem like the EA is saying that there’s an offer of asking, which according to you there isn’t.

However, I’d ask two questions first. How sure are you that your friend understood the EA correctly? And, how can you be sure that there wasn’t another offer of asking?

Having said all that, you’re entitled to complain to the PRSA, let them look into. The EA is obliged to record all bids, so there should be evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,549 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Get somebody to offer the market price and if they accept then you know for sure that the EA is telling porkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

We bid asking on our house with a short time limit. They quibbled the time limit, but accepted within it. If they had not accepted then they would have been telling the truth to say someone had offered asking. Not sure where the confusion is here.

Time limit tactic made sense for us because it was our max anyway and we were ready to walk away if they didn't accept. If you aren't ready to walk then you're just fncking about with a time limited offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Vicxas wrote: »
    Perhaps the EA is stating that the asking price is what it is because he doesnt want to say "Oh we've had an offer in, but its 65k under the asking"

He'd then be getting lowball offers from everyone who even looked at the house in any half sincere way.

Is that the OP's point? Any potential buyers should know what the highest actual bid is as well as knowing what the seller's asking price is.

If someone wants to offer an extra 10, 20, 30k more than the OP it will still be lower than the asking. If the seller wants to sell they can accept or hold out for the asking price or a higher figure. They may get it or not.

The OP's offer is currently 65k below the asking price and there could be another offer for the asking but if there isn't then the EA is spinning. The OP's offer of 65k lower might prove to be the highest bid.

The OP's offer is currently 65k below the asking price and there could be another offer for the asking but if there isn't then the EA is spinning. The OP's offer of 65k lower might prove to be the highest bid.

OP offered the full asking price on Wednesday. The offer was refused. Op sent in a letter AFTER the offer was rejected to cancel the offer. The estate agent is being 100 percent honest. The current bid /latest bid was for the asking price & this wasn't accepted as it wasn't high enough.

dubrov wrote: »
    Greebo, you've had a resounding answer in this thread. You seem to ignore any posts that do not align with your own views.

By all means go to the PRSA but it will be a complete waste of time for all involved.

Im ignoring answers that are ignoring the actual question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

GreeBo wrote: »
    Im ignoring answers that are ignoring the actual question.

You mean your ignoring everybody.

We bid asking on our house with a short time limit. They quibbled the time limit, but accepted within it. If they had not accepted then they would have been telling the truth to say someone had offered asking. Not sure where the confusion is here.

Time limit tactic made sense for us because it was our max anyway and we were ready to walk away if they didn't accept. If you aren't ready to walk then you're just fncking about with a time limited offer.

The confusion is that the agent is telling people there is a bidder @ asking price, not that there was an offer of asking price. I can't make that any clearer yet e fine is igniting it.
    There isn't anly such bidder and this is misleading everyone else who enquires ads to the status of the house.

I have walked away and am looking at other properties as already mentioned.

dudara wrote: »
    GreeBo - I understand where you’re coming from. Based on your info, it does seem like the EA is saying that there’s an offer of asking, which according to you there isn’t.

However, I’d ask two questions first. How sure are you that your friend understood the EA correctly? And, how can you be sure that there wasn’t another offer of asking?

Having said all that, you’re entitled to complain to the PRSA, let them look into. The EA is obliged to record all bids, so there should be evidence.

Notwithstanding the first two points, surely it would be fairly straightforward for the auctioneer to present documentary evidence of an offer of asking price - from the OP?

OP offered the full asking price on Wednesday. The offer was refused. Op sent in a letter AFTER the offer was rejected to cancel the offer. The estate agent is being 100 percent honest. The current bid /latest bid was for the asking price & this wasn't accepted as it wasn't high enough.

My understanding is that the bid wasn’t refused. It expired and was withdrawn. It’s a fine point, but it makes the story different.

@kippy - I believe the PRSA can request such information from the EA, but not a member of the public as it would not relate to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

kippy wrote: »
    Notwithstanding the first two points, surely it would be fairly straightforward for the auctioneer to present documentary evidence of an offer of asking price - from the OP?

Ever heard of GDPR?

OP hasn't stated if she gave the offer in writing but she did state that she withdrew the offer by mail. This is all the proof the estate agent needs. The current highest offer is the last highest offer. Withdrawn or not it is the current highest offer.

OP hasn't stated if she gave the offer in writing but she did state that she withdrew the offer by mail. This is all the proof the estate agent needs. The current highest offer is the last highest offer. Withdrawn or not it is the current highest offer.

I would disagree. The offer was withdrawn, so the current offer status reverts to the last standing offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I would disagree. The offer was withdrawn, so the current offer status reverts to the last standing offer.

An offer of the asking price has been rejected, so all offers now need to be over the asking price.

Ever heard of GDPR?

I haven't actually.

• Advertisement

My understanding is that the bid wasn’t refused. It expired and was withdrawn. It’s a fine point, but it makes the story different.

@kippy - I believe the PRSA can request such information from the EA, but not a member of the public as it would not relate to them.

The point I am making I suppose is that there is very little the PRSA can do as the auctioneer will have a record of a bid matching the asking price being made.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement