Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agent giving incorrect details

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Yes it was.

You set demands/ conditions as part of your offer. They didn't attempt to meet your demands. By not attempting to meet your demands they refused your offer. They didn't seem to entertain your offer at all. These were your conditions.

Let's dumb it down a little.

Did they accept your offer? If the answer is no then they refused your offer. They knew it had a 24 hour time limit on it. By not accepting the offer within 24 hours they refused your offer.

But it wasn't accepted. You offered it & it wasn't accepted. How is that disingenuous?

He wouldn't sell to you this week for the asking price. I think it's perfectly correct to say that he wont sell for asking price right now. You know this as fact because he wouldn't sell to you for the asking price

None of that is equivalent to there being an active offer of the asking price.
    The correct status of the house is an offer 65k below asking and a vendor looking for more than asking.

Are you honestly saying that you can't see a difference?
    That any potential buyer wouldn't want to know if they were bidding against a real person or not?
    Right now someone can bid 60k below asking and be the highest bidder. Sure the vendor might say they won't sell for that, but that might change if there are no other offers. That can't happen if people are being told they have to bid over the asking to be the highest bidder.

I honestly can't explain it any clearer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Greebo, what is the minimum someone is going to have to bid today for the vendor to accept it?

The answer to that question should hopefully help you to understand why the EA is telling people about the asking price already having been bid. If it doesn’t, well what’s the point in anyone trying?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Greebo, what is the minimum someone is going to have to bid today for the vendor to accept it?

The answer to that question should hopefully help you to understand why the EA is telling people about the asking price already having been bid. If it doesn’t, well what’s the point in anyone trying?

Until the house sells, no one can answer that question.

People are entitled to know the accurate status of the house.

EA can tell people that the vendor wants minimum asking all they want., but you cant honestly believe that potential bidders wouldn't think and probably bid differently if they knew the actual highest bid on the table was 65k lower?

Why would anyone bid below asking price otherwise?
    You bid the least amount possible to be the highest bidder and hope the vendor sells to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Dav010 wrote: »

That's a good point actually.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Until the house sells, no one can answer that question.

People are entitled to know the accurate status of the house.

EA can tell people that the vendor wants minimum asking all they want., but you cant honestly believe that potential bidders wouldn't think and probably bid differently if they knew the actual highest bid on the table was 65k lower?

Why would anyone bid below asking price otherwise?
    You bid the least amount possible to be the highest bidder and hope the vendor sells to you.

What is the original asking price?

• Advertisement

tigger123 wrote: »
    What is the original asking price?

Asking price hasn't changed.

Asking price hasn't changed.

I'm wondering what the offer of 65k under asking actually means.

I.E., was the original asking price 165k and you offered 100k? Or was it 965k and you offered 900k?

Totally understand if you don't want to give that detail. But it does put the 'under 65k of asking' offer in better perspective, as in, was it a serious offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

GreeBo wrote:
    None of that is equivalent to there being an active offer of the asking price. The correct status of the house is an offer 65k below asking and a vendor looking for more than asking.

It's been explained to you several times now. The highest bid, active or withdrawn, is to current bid.

Why would the estate agent say that your 65,000 lower bid is the current bid? You are willing to pay at least the asking price. The truth is that the seller refused /did not accept the asking price. It's the estate agents job to give relevant information. The relevant information is that the seller refused an offer of the asking price. Telling buyers that there is a lower bid, 65,000 lower no less, does not help anyone. New interested parties need to start the bidding at asking price or higher & not 65,000 lower

tigger123 wrote: »
    I'm wondering what the offer of 65k under asking actually means.

I.E., was the original asking price 165k and you offered 100k? Or was it 965k and you offered 900k?

Totally understand if you don't want to give that detail. But it does put the 'under 65k of asking' offer in better perspective, as in, was it a serious offer.

Its about 5% under.

It was certainly a serious offer as initial bidding started 250k under.

Its about 5% under.

I think in that case (if I've calculated correctly) there's a wide array of properties available to you.

Best of luck in your search OP.

• Advertisement

It's been explained to you several times now. The highest bid, active or withdrawn, is to current bid.

Why would the estate agent say that your 65,000 lower bid is the current bid? You are willing to pay at least the asking price. The truth is that the seller refused /did not accept the asking price. It's the estate agents job to give relevant information. The relevant information is that the seller refused an offer of the asking price. Telling buyers that there is a lower bid, 65,000 lower no less, does not help anyone. New interested parties need to start the bidding at asking price or higher & not 65,000 lower

Its the current state of the bidding on the house.
    The vendor can want more than asking all they want. The market cake of the house is the price the house sells for, not what the vendor or want to get.

If no-one else bids then the house sells for 65k under or comes off the market. No one can say what price it sells for until it happens but it could easily be under asking if the market doesn't support asking. The agent is leading people to believe that the market does support it. Yet there is no-one willing to pay asking for it right now, so they are incorrect.

GreeBo wrote:
    Its the current state of the bidding on the house. The vendor can want more than asking all they want. The market cake of the house is the price the house sells for, not what the vendor or want to get.

The highest bid is the asking price. You can't change this fact. Your offer has actually helped the estate agent in possibly getting a higher price. You might have saved him a few weeks work getting the bidding up to asking price.

The highest bid is the asking price. You can't change this fact. Your offer has actually helped the estate agent in possibly getting a higher price. You might have saved him a few weeks work getting the bidding up to asking price.

I don't need to change this as is not an accurate fact.
    The bid had conditions that were not met so that bid is irrelevant. There is no one willing to pay the asking price as it stands.

There is no current bidding and hadn't been any for several months.

GreeBo wrote:
    I don't need to change this as is not an accurate fact. The bid had conditions that were not met so that bid is irrelevant. There is no one willing to pay the asking price as it stands.

You do realise that You are the only poster that sees it this way? Not a single poster agrees with your stance on this.

OK. You are right & every poster is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Jeasus, trying to read this thread is torture. WTF is going on? Please somebody help?

What I can guess is OP offered x-65k (x =asking price) on condition that this offer would be accepted within one week/or was it 24hr.s, and the property be immediately withdrawn from sale advertising. This offer was not accepted. There was another viewing and the EA (short for easily addled) was saying that there was an offer of asking price?? or an offer of x-65k? And the OP throws their toys outa the pram, 'coz he thinks for some reason (legally) that EAs shouldn't be economical with virtue and thruth. How am I doing??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Its about 5% under.

So 1.3m.

Any jobs going? :D

lalababa wrote:
    What I can guess is OP offered x-65k (x =asking price) on condition that this offer would be accepted within one week/or was it 24hr.s, and the property be immediately withdrawn from sale advertising. This offer was not accepted. There was another viewing and the EA (short for easily addled) was saying that there was an offer of asking price?? or an offer of x-65k? And the OP throws their toys outa the pram, 'coz he thinks for some reason (legally) that EAs shouldn't be economical with virtue and thruth. How am I doing??

Not quite

OP has an offer for 65k below asking price for a few months but it wasn't accepted. To hurry up the process she offered the full asking price, three day before a scheduled open house. Offer was good for 24 hours. Offer wasn't accepted so op withdrew the offer via email. Op still has the old offer on the table, 65k below asking price.

Op now believes that the estate agent shouldn't tell people that her offer of the asking price was refused. She believes that the highest offer is 65k below even though she offered asking price only two or three days ago. Op believes that by withdrawing the offer by email after it was refused means that it's not the current bid /offer.

It's been pointed out by several posters that it is the current bid & that the owner refused /didn't accept the offer. Why anyone would think that the estate agent should tell people that the highest bid is 65k below the asking price when two or three days ago the seller didn't accept the asking price is beyond me.

Now seller knows that op is willing to pay asking price or more. Seller knows that she's interested as she didn't walk away from the house. Original offer is still on the table.

OP has assured us that there is no sour grapes involved but no one can fathom why she wants to report the estate agent to the PRSA.

That's it in a nutshell as far as I can make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dubrov

OP, you are going to have to let it go.

It won't help you in any way to achieve your goals by pursuing this and I doubt think anyone agrees with your interpretation anyway.

Personally, if I was bidding I'd prefer to know that an offer was rejected at the asking anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I agree with the OP (just to try to keep the thread going for another 10 pages!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Take a deep breath OP.
    Is the house worth the asking TO YOU ?

If so I’d offer the asking price and sit back.
    Seller isn’t going to take -65
    Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Take a deep breath OP.
    Is the house worth the asking TO YOU ?

If so I’d offer the asking price and sit back.
    Seller isn’t going to take -65
    Good luck.

he did
    it was rejected
    now the estate agent is telling people there was an offer at asking... which there was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Any link ?

liam7831 wrote:
    Any link ?

Wouldn't we all love that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

bluewolf wrote: »
    he did
    it was rejected
    now the estate agent is telling people there was an offer at asking... which there was

I know he/she did but that offer came with conditions.

I mean offer asking without conditions and let it sit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The figures mentioned here don't make much sense to me. Starting at 250k below asking.....
    All I will say is that the seller does not appear to be in any rush to sell and wants to get asking or above for the sale.
    The auctioneers instructions are to get asking.
    On the face of it youve not handled this well.
    Essentially you've said that you are prepared to pay asking.
    The auctioneer now knows this and is trying again to garner another bidder to get involved.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

bluewolf wrote: »
    he did
    it was rejected

This is getting repetitive but here i go again.

The issue is not the so called rejected offer. The issue is the agent telling people that there is a current bid at the asking price. People are being told they are bidding against someone at the asking price. I've already said that the agent is free to tell people that the vendor wants at least asking. The vendor can want whatever they want but people will typically only bid above the current highest bidder. The current biggest bidder is 65k below asking.

There is no one at the asking price, the agent is lying to people about this.

I really can't see how people are missing this other than they are getting caught up in conversations about what i should have done differently or what the vendor can do or whatever. None of that is up for discusdion at this point as until the house actually sells it's all conjecture anyway.

kippy wrote: »
    The figures mentioned here don't make much sense to me. Starting at 250k below asking.....
    All I will say is that the seller does not appear to be in any rush to sell and wants to get asking or above for the sale.
    The auctioneers instructions are to get asking.
    On the face of it youve not handled this well.
    Essentially you've said that you are prepared to pay asking.
    The auctioneer now knows this and is trying again to garner another bidder to get involved.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

The viewings were asked for by the vendor before my bid at asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

Essentially the EA is not taking your 24 hour or the offer expires seriously. As far as they are concerned, if you were to be given the opportunity to get the house for the asking price you’d pay it. That’s why they’re saying the asking price has been offered. You might consider differently, but to most people that’s the way it would come across.

GreeBo wrote:
    The issue is not the so called rejected offer. The issue is the agent telling people that there is a current bid at the asking price. People are being told they are bidding against someone at the asking price. I've already said that the agent is free to tell people that the vendor wants at least asking. The vendor can want whatever they want but people will typically only bid above the current highest bidder. The current biggest bidder is 65k below asking.

The current bid is your bid from 3 days ago. It was rejected. Just because you withdrew the bid after it was rejected doesn't mean it is not the current bid.
    GreeBo wrote:
    There is no one at the asking price, the agent is lying to people about this.

You offered the asking price 3 days ago and it was rejected. The estate agent is telling possible buyers that they need to go above the asking price because the seller didn't accept the asking price only 3 days ago. It would be disingenuous of the estate agent to string buyers along with the 65k below asking when they did get an offer of asking price.

There's a lot I'd like to say but the forum rules forbid me. I'll say this one last time though. We're up to 12 or 13 pages now with plenty of different posters. Not a single poster agrees with your argument. Not one. Every poster is telling you that there most definitely was a bid for asking price this week & the bid was rejected. This is called the current bid.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

• Advertisement

Sarn wrote: »
    Essentially the EA is not taking your 24 hour or the offer expires seriously. As far as they are concerned, if you were to be given the opportunity to get the house for the asking price you’d pay it. That’s why they’re saying the asking price has been offered. You might consider differently, but to most people that’s the way it would come across.

I'd agree that could be possible but i explicitly withdrew my offer slso.
    They are in no doubt that it is off the table.

We are already looking at other places so this isn't some sour grapes against the vendor, i just think the EA is using shoddy tactics to sell the house and stayed the thread to see what the regulations are in this area.

1 person brought up the prsa which was useful and the sort of thing i was looking for, most others just got side tracked and personal for some reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement