Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agent giving incorrect details

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    So you don't believe that anyone will be at the viewing so? Who exactly is the estate agents telling that they have an offer for the asking price if no one is interested in the property?

You believe that you are the only person interested. If this is the case they'll be back to you eventually.

I suggest looking at other homes while you are waiting for them to come back to you. Keep your opinions open. Put this one out of your mind for awhile & destress

There is always someone at open viewings, it means little.

Will they told the person who i had ring up pretending to be interested.

Again you are focusing on me getting the house or not.
    Its the agents actions i am discussing here.

This is another indicator that vendor is in no hurry. No viewings in January

nothing moves in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

GreeBo wrote:
    nothing moves in Jan.

You have an answer for everything. I've viewed & bought plenty of properties in January. You are right & all other posters are wrong. Why did you even bother starting the thread? You want the estate agents to be in the wrong but they are not. You have no proof to your claim that you're bid is the only one.

Plenty of people start a thread to rant. They acknowledge this themselves. I don't understand the point of stating a thread looking for advice or other opinions only to knock everyone posting.

GreeBo wrote:
    Again you are focusing on me getting the house or not. Its the agents actions i am discussing here.

You have no proof. There is really nothing to discuss. You are assuming a lot here with no proof.

It's already been suggested that if feel the estate agent is breaking any rules or laws that you report them. There is really not much more advice anyone can give you without hearing the estate agents side of the story

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I think your annoyed at yourself OP and deflecting the annoyance to the EA. You’ve some experience in buying property and you assumed your strategy with this purchase would be positive in your favor and now you’ve got egg on your face. You like this place very much and I hope you get it but you have to admit that you messed up on this occasion. Good luck.

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    I think your annoyed at yourself OP and deflecting the annoyance to the EA. You’ve some experience in buying property and you assumed your strategy with this purchase would be positive in your favor and now you’ve got egg on your face. You like this place very much and I hope you get it but you have to admit that you messed up on this occasion. Good luck.

How is there egg anywhere when the property is aul on the market?
    I couldn't give a fiddlers what the agent thinks of me, I'm in this for me.

I have done nothing that would annoy me. I think everyone triesb to pay as little as possible for any purchase?

Honestly, in what way do you think I've messed up?

You have an answer for everything. I've viewed & bought plenty of properties in January. You are right & all other posters are wrong. Why did you even bother starting the thread? You want the estate agents to be in the wrong but they are not. You have no proof to your claim that you're bid is the only one.

Plenty of people start a thread to rant. They acknowledge this themselves. I don't understand the point of stating a thread looking for advice or other opinions only to knock everyone posting.
    You have no proof. There is really nothing to discuss. You are assuming a lot here with no proof.

It's already been suggested that if feel the estate agent is breaking any rules or laws that you report them. There is really not much more advice anyone can give you without hearing the estate agents side of the story

I'm not looking to rant i have clearly asked several times if what the estate is doing is acceptable and legal.

Im not looking for advice on how to buy a house, despite many jumping in with criticism.

A couple of posters keep trying to bring the thread off topic regarding what the vendor can or can't do and what way i should or shouldn't bid when all that is irrelevant to what I've asked.

Call it a rant all you want but you are both way off line and off topic, again.

GreeBo wrote:
    I'm not looking to rant i have clearly asked several times if what the estate is doing is acceptable and legal.

This has been answered several times.

It is sour grapes. I'd be surprised if a single poster thought you were worried about new bidders getting ripped off & being lied to about the letest offer. It sounds like it's revenge you are after.

I'll leave it there. You have an answer for everything. You are right & we are all wrong.

Your question about the offer & the estate agent has been answered several times.

This has been answered several times.

It is sour grapes. I'd be surprised if a single poster thought you were worried about new bidders getting ripped off & being lied to about the letest offer. It sounds like it's revenge you are after.

I'll leave it there. You have an answer for everything. You are right & we are all wrong.

Your question about the offer & the estate agent has been answered several times.

yeah it has, hence i haven't asked it since.
    But because i reply to off topic posts you think im having a rant.

Again, how can it be sour grapes when I'm in exactly the an be position as i was before my last offer?

Maybe you think it's ok for agents to lie to people, maybe you are an agent yourself, but i and others think it's wrong so i started a thread on it.

Right or wrong about what? You are still banging on about the vendor and ignoring the thread topic.

Your continued off topic posts aren't helping or contributing so I'm no longer going to reply to them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

3 months isn't that long for a house to have been on the market, especially if it was the backend of last year. There's a lot more mortgage approvals now in the past few weeks.

You made a strings attached offer, EA and vendor don't have to accept or take that whatsoever.

You're probably better walking away, and if it doesn't sell go back in under asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Greebo, EA’s are the lowest of the low. I have no trust in this “profession” at all. Stick to your guns with the current 65k below ask. If is meant to be it is meant to be.

Vendors are obviously not in a hurry to sell. EA will basically say whatever to get price up. In all reality, if the range is 7+ the pool of buyers is smaller. Obviously changes will need to be made for personal taste. Have never personally offered asking on any property I own and never will. It is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Stick it out OR move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭holliehobbie

GreeBo wrote: »
    Maybe I am missing something but based on your post you have bid 65K below the asking and are wondering why the vendor will not take you seriously.

Bidding started 250K below asking, we were the only remaining bidder at still 65K below asking. We didn't just come in 65K under.
    Is it a castle or something? €250,000 below asking?

Weepsie wrote: »
    3 months isn't that long for a house to have been on the market, especially if it was the backend of last year. There's a lot more mortgage approvals now in the past few weeks.

You made a strings attached offer, EA and vendor don't have to accept or take that whatsoever.

You're probably better walking away, and if it doesn't sell go back in under asking.

Its into it's 5th month now, with me as highest bidder for almost 3.

My issue isn't them not accepting it, its the EA telling people that right now there is an offer of the asking price on the property. There isn't, my strong attached offer was withdrawn. The only active offer on the house is my previous one 65k under asking.

My understanding is that these practices, essentially inventing bidders, was in the past and now regulated.

I've contacted the regulator PRSA to get their input.

GreeBo wrote:
    Again, how can it be sour grapes when I'm in exactly the an be position as i was before my last offer?

You are in a much weaker position. Seller knows that he can get at least the asking price, maybe more out of you. He didn't have this information five days ago.

It's pointless making an offer with 24 hour demands days before a scheduled open house. If you were offering way above the asking price there might be some logic in it. 24 hours notice isn't enough time when you make demands like that. Everyone needs more than a few hours to think over an offer.

Withdrawing the offer but keeping the lower bid makes no sense. You've shown your hand. If I was selling I wouldn't accept a penny lower than the highest you offer. I know what you are willing to pay. Either pull out or stay in.

You are in a much weaker position now for certain

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Its into it's 5th month now, with me as highest bidder for almost 3.

My issue isn't them not accepting it, its the EA telling people that right now there is an offer of the asking price on the property. There isn't, my strong attached offer was withdrawn. The only active offer on the house is my previous one 65k under asking.

My understanding is that these practices, essentially inventing bidders, was in the past and now regulated.

I've contacted the regulator PRSA to get their input.

But the bid hasn’t been “invented”, You bid the asking price, it hasn’t been accepted, hence the EA is telling bidders about the bid.

Hard to see the PRSA doing anything bar scratching their head and wondering if this is a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I hope you don't rely on gambling as your income.
    The estate agent wants to sell to us, they know wet are serious as we sold our last house so we wouldn't be in a chain. This had been going on for months waiting for the vendor to do something. Proof of funds etc was all done months ago. The agent has advised the vendor to accept our offer on numerous occasions, including the offer@ asking.

This isn't my first or second for that matter house purchase.

At that level in The south Dublin market there is a lot of pent up demand but little interest is striking a deal pending Brexit clarification. Brexit May have little or no effect on either the buyers or sellers but it is causing paralysis above 1m. Lots of viewings, few serious offers. On a decent house, i’m Surprised the EA would be willing to recommend acceptance until he got a few bidders willing to pitch in.

Is it a castle or something? €250,000 below asking?

Determined seller has slowly gotten up to the asking price though. Viewing today may push it above asking price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Your offer was withdrawn only because it was rejected by the vendor, basically. I think that's essentially the situation here. I don't really like the tactic of setting an asking price, and then rejecting the offer of asking price when made. It's a dickish way to do business imo (unless there actually is high demand and various parties are genuinely bidding above asking). However, it's not illegal, and the vendor is entitled to do it.
    When you think about it, every offer is implicitly made contingent on the offer being accepted and going sale agreed. Just because you articulated this doesn't make your offer any different to other would be bidders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

How do you know someone else didn't come along and offer the asking price?

Rothmans wrote: »
    Your offer was withdrawn only because it was rejected by the vendor, basically. I think that's essentially the situation here. I don't really like the tactic of setting an asking price, and then rejecting the offer of asking price when made. It's a dickish way to do business imo (unless there actually is high demand and various parties are genuinely bidding above asking). However, it's not illegal, and the vendor is entitled to do it.
    When you think about it, every offer is implicitly made contingent on the offer being accepted and going sale agreed. Just because you articulated this doesn't make your offer any different to other would be bidders.

No, i withdrew my offer by informing the estate agent via mail that it no longer stood.

The vendor is entitled to do whatever they want, its their house, the EA has to act following the regulations though. To me what they are doing is no different than them inventing oyher bidders. They are actively telling people that the current offer is at the asking. That is incorrect as there is no offer of asking.

My offer was contingent on the house coming off the market, sale agreed would follow.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    But the bid hasn’t been “invented”, You bid the asking price, it hasn’t been accepted, hence the EA is telling bidders about the bid.

Hard to see the PRSA doing anything bar scratching their head and wondering if this is a wind up.

I withdrew the offer.

If you are ok with this then why doesn't every agent get a mate to offer asking and then withdraw it?
    Simple way to bump up the price with no downside to anyone other than the potential buyers.

I withdrew the offer.

If you are ok with this then why doesn't every agent get a mate to offer asking and then withdraw it?
    Simple way to bump up the price with no downside to anyone other than the potential buyers.

I really hope the EA has received another bid for asking.

I really hope the EA has received another bid for asking.

Why?

Why?

Because as far as I can tell, you have no proof that there isn’t another bid for asking. And to be honest, like most posters, I don’t see what your problem is.

Like it or not, your bid is the highest bid to date and by telling interested buyers that it has not been accepted, the EA is doing the right thing. Why on earth would he not tell them? If asking has not been accepted then a bidder putting a bid of €30k less will not be accepted, they are going to have to bid above your offer of asking price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Thread still going 10 pages in? OP you have no proof of anything. Life is short move on find somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I empathise with you GreeBo but maybe it's time to withdraw the thread. It sounds like a broken record

Because as far as I can tell, you have no proof that there isn’t another bid for asking. And to be honest, like most posters, I don’t see what your problem is.

Like it or not, your bid is the highest bid to date and by telling interested buyers that it has not been accepted, the EA is doing the right thing. Why on earth would he not tell them? If asking has not been accepted then a bidder putting a bid of €30k less will not be accepted, they are going to have to bid above your offer of asking price.

Then if the estate agent gets a call about this complaint he'll know who's been trying to cause trouble. It's easier to deal with an estate agent that's on your side / neutral rather than an estate agent that you've reported for something he didn't do

I withdrew the offer.

You withdrew an offer that wasn't accepted. Estate agent is correct to say highest offer is asking price because it is. Highest offer that the owner didn't accept was your offer. This is the highest offer. This has been answered by several posters already. You refuse to accept honest advice from just about every poster here.

Then if the estate agent gets a call about this complaint he'll know who's been trying to cause trouble. It's easier to deal with an estate agent that's on your side / neutral rather than an estate agent that you've reported for something he didn't do

You withdrew an offer that wasn't accepted. Estate agent is correct to say highest offer is asking price because it is. Highest offer that the owner didn't accept was your offer. This is the highest offer. This has been answered by several posters already. You refuse to accept honest advice from just about every poster here.

My offer wasnt rejected, you keep saying this but it didn't happen.

They agent said the vendor wanted to see what happens sheet the viewing.
    Its disingenuous to tell people that an offer of asking price wasn't accepted as it implies the vendor won't sell at that price.
    Yet many people have already pointed out that it's likely the agent is going to revert to me next week accepting the offer.

Its no different than inventing an offer to see if you can push a buyer higher than the market value.

There was no opportunity for another bidder to appesr between my withdrawal and the call to the EA.

I've explained my issue umpteen times so if you still don't get it, tbh i can't help you.

• Advertisement

My offer wasnt rejected, you keep saying this but it didn't happen.

They agent said the vendor wanted to see what happens sheet the viewing.
    Its disingenuous to tell people that an offer of asking price wasn't accepted as it implies the vendor won't sell at that price.
    Yet many people have already pointed out that it's likely the agent is going to revert to me next week accepting the offer.

Its no different than inventing an offer to see if you can push a buyer higher than the market value.

Yes it was.

You set demands/ conditions as part of your offer. They didn't attempt to meet your demands. By not attempting to meet your demands they refused your offer. They didn't seem to entertain your offer at all. These were your conditions.

Let's dumb it down a little.

Did they accept your offer? If the answer is no then they refused your offer. They knew it had a 24 hour time limit on it. By not accepting the offer within 24 hours they refused your offer.

But it wasn't accepted. You offered it & it wasn't accepted. How is that disingenuous?

He wouldn't sell to you this week for the asking price. I think it's perfectly correct to say that he wont sell for asking price right now. You know this as fact because he wouldn't sell to you for the asking price

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement