Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

And twice in 6 Nations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

The Leavy injury causes real problems as regards back-row balance. Him being in there made up for O'Mahony's lack of brute physicality which you really need in a blindside.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Beirne has displayed nothing in an Ireland jersey to suggest he should be in our strongest 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

The Leavy injury causes real problems as regards back-row balance. Him being in there made up for O'Mahony's lack of brute physicality which you really need in a blindside.

Something in this and given VDF injury something I'd like to see would be

6 Ruddock
    7 POM
    8 Conan

Bench: Stander

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Something in this and given VDF injury something I'd like to see would be

6 Ruddock
    7 POM
    8 Conan

Bench: Stander

If you think a lack of brute physicality in the backrow is a problem, then I don't think dropping Stander is the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

aloooof wrote: »
    If you think a lack of brute physicality in the backrow is a problem, then I don't think dropping Stander is the answer.

Stander is too much brute physicality without any finesse.

And Conan is definitely ahead of him purely on form at the moment, he's far more dynamic.

We don't have a balance issue at backrow. POM is a poor tackler and carrier. But he's a great lineout option and he can poach the ball. He does occasionally go missing.

VdF makes up for the lack of tackling and work rate and Conan makes up for the carrying. Stander could do this as well but then you'd only have a pure 8 on the bench (Conan) and Stander has struggled in green lately. He's just too easy to target when you know he's not going to pass. He's an excellent player but I don't know if he's our top shelf 8.

A POM, Stander and Conan backrow would be another option. Which is what ended up happening in France

• Registered Users Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I've seen nothing from Beirne that warrants him being on the plane to Japan. Joe's love of POM means they have to accommodate his lack of work and physicality elsewhere, which means most likely Stander starting.

Folks love POM but he forces compromises everywhere else to make up for the deficiencies in his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Rory Best in the news talking about Jack McGrath moving to Ulster

“we signed a British Lion “

Gonad wrote: »
    Rory Best in the news talking about Jack McGrath moving to Ulster

“we signed a British Lion “

British and Irish Lion in every article I've read.

troyzer wrote: »
    British and Irish Lion in every article I've read.

Actually, I've just seen a full quote. He used British and Irish Lion and later on used just British Lion.

I know it's just a slip of the tongue but you think the Irish captain would know better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Actually, I've just seen a full quote. He used British and Irish Lion and later on used just British Lion.

I know it's just a slip of the tongue but you think the Irish captain would know better.

It was just a natural way of saying it for him...he can't watch everything he says every minute of his life..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Erik Shun wrote: »
    It was just a natural way of saying it for him...he can't watch everything he says every minute of his life..

He knows the good folk of the South are far too mature and grown up to go into some sort of outrage-seeking meltdown, should he make some kind of inconsequential slip of the tongue during his tenure as Ireland's most successful captain.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Genuinely couldn't give a sh*te if he calls them the British Lions if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

He knows the good folk of the South are far too mature and grown up to go into some sort of outrage-seeking meltdown, should he make some kind of inconsequential slip of the tongue during his tenure as Ireland's most successful captain.

I'm offended that he didn't call them the British and Irish lions and lionesses, totally offensive to not be inclusive of all genders.

In fact it should be the British and Irish lions/lionesses/lionestheys.

Exactly right. Best has given a huge amount of time off the rugby pitch to all communities in Ireland, I wouldn't doubt him for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think the only surprising thing is that people don’t just refer to them as ‘the lions’ it’s unlikely to cause any real confusion with other teams called the Lions. Everyday use as far as I can tell is just the Lions by anyone I have conversations about it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

salmocab wrote: »
    I think the only surprising thing is that people don’t just refer to them as ‘the lions’ it’s unlikely to cause any real confusion with other teams called the Lions. Everyday use as far as I can tell is just the Lions by anyone I have conversations about it with.

Or even "Bee n' Eye" Lions.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Genuinely couldn't give a sh*te if he calls them the British Lions if I'm honest.

You're just a tan.

Seriously though, it's not a big deal. Like I said, it was just a slip of the tongue. It's just odd hearing it from an Irish captain is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Obviously not all....... and some people think the New Zealand folk are thin skinned.....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Is it that unusual? I've always referred to them as the British Lions. I think I've heard Shane Horgan and Conor O'Shea say it on tele as well.

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »

He should be stripped of his OBE

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Sack him...the stupid b***** and get someone not as good into do the job that calls the Lions the right name

bilston wrote: »
    Sack him...the stupid b***** and get someone not as good into do the job that calls the Lions the right name

Ah lads, settle down. I'm not saying burn the witch.

It's just unusual is all. One of the primary duties of the Irish captain is being a squeaky clean media operator and that's a gaffe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ah lads, settle down. I'm not saying burn the witch.

It's just unusual is all. One of the primary duties of the Irish captain is being a squeaky clean media operator and that's a gaffe.

Ah sure we all slip up now and again.
    It would be worse if you were tipping the missus and you called out her sister's name.*

*this has never happened to me....ever*

mfceiling wrote: »
    Ah sure we all slip up now and again.
    It would be worse if you were tipping the missus and you called out her sister's name.*

*this has never happened to me....ever*

Mate....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

The suggestion that Stander is in competition with Deegan for a spot is, tbh, ridiculous.

Stander is the incumbent 8. He doesn't need to "push himself back in". I can't see Conan starting ahead of him come the RWC, nevermind Deegan getting picked ahead of him.

Some people have very short memories. POM got MOTM against the best team in the world as recently as, oh, November. The entire backrow you mentioned have all started in victories over the All Blacks.

Your missing it completley - The backrow is made up of three different positions so no i'm not stating that Deegan would get ahead of sTANDER FOR A NO.8 role - however if Joe schmidt wants a no.7 on the bench to compete at ruck time then Deegan would be a better fit.

So it depends what Joe decides the team needs a ball carrier at 55 mins coming on or a player that will compete more at ruck time - he certainly wont be picking Deegan on the bench to come on at 8 and run into people lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Your missing it completley - The backrow is made up of three different positions so no i'm not stating that Deegan would get ahead of sTANDER FOR A NO.8 role - however if Joe schmidt wants a no.7 on the bench to compete at ruck time then Deegan would be a better fit.

So it depends what Joe decides the team needs a ball carrier at 55 mins coming on or a player that will compete more at ruck time - he certainly wont be picking Deegan on the bench to come on at 8 and run into people lol

You're suggesting our first choice 8 will be forced out of the 23 by:
    - Conan starting at 8
    - And Stander not starting at 6
    - And a player with 0 caps getting on the bench ahead of him because he's played a handful of games at 7 in the Pro14.

All of that needs to happen when, in reality, each is increasingly unlikely.

Add to that, you're suggesting it depends on what Joe decides the team needs. When was the last time Joe didn't pick Stander when he was available?

Stander is a favourite of Joe's; the suggestion Schmidt would pick Deegan for a bench spot ahead of him for the RWC is crazy, and nothing we've seen from Schmidt's selections in the past suggestions it's at all likely. Has Deegan even made an Irish camp yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Mate....

Mairead actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Anyone who thinks Best calling them the British Lions is a gaffe needs to concern themselves with other things. It's such a non event its barely comprehensible. I've heard Brian O Driscoll call it the British Lions before. A full blown southerner who captained Ireland and the Lions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

You're suggesting our first choice 8 will be forced out of the 23 by:
    - Conan starting at 8
    - And Stander not starting at 6
    - And a player with 0 caps getting on the bench ahead of him because he's played a handful of games at 7 in the Pro14.

All of that needs to happen when, in reality, each is increasingly unlikely.

Add to that, you're suggesting it depends on what Joe decides the team needs. When was the last time Joe didn't pick Stander when he was available?

Stander is a favourite of Joe's; the suggestion Schmidt would pick Deegan for a bench spot ahead of him for the RWC is crazy, and nothing we've seen from Schmidt's selections in the past suggestions it's at all likely. Has Deegan even made an Irish camp yet??

The chances of any player who has had no time in camp so far making the World Cup squad is zero. This is just shiny new toy syndrome at its worst. Apart from the fact VDF is due back for the warm up games. SOB, Ruddock and Nordie would all be considered at openside. Beyond that you have JOD who has plenty of experience in camp. Then the option of a Conan, Stander and POM backrow. All of which is far more likely to happen. Than a number 8 who has happened to play a couple of dirttracker Pro 14 games at 7, with no exposure to Ireland squads. Coming into the RWC squad, let alone the match day 23 or starting team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement