Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Carty has played beyond anybody's wildest expectations in the last 18 months and absolute deserves a cap. My fear is that his first cap will be in August.

I think you're overreaching with the 18 months but he has certainly played to another level this season. I reckon if he had been playing as well and as consistently last season as he is this season, he'd already be capped and the conversation for the 22 jersey would be very much a live debate.

Carty is very much an all round outhalf at this stage and can run a game from 10 which is what is needed at test level. He's far from the finished article and I think his decision making and patience needs work but he's one of the few outhalves we have had in the professional era that can genuinely threaten with passing, running and kicking.

Unfortunately, I feel it's all too little too late at this point. With the RWC around the corner, he's not going to be able to force his way into the 23 outside of injuries. I still believe that we'll only take two outhalves to Japan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Buer wrote: »
    I think you're overreaching with the 18 months but he has certainly played to another level this season. I reckon if he had been playing as well and as consistently last season as he is this season, he'd already be capped and the conversation for the 22 jersey would be very much a live debate.

No, he's not. Carty was playing very well last season too, he was just surrounded by a team who weren't, and a coach who didn't appear to have a gameplan. It's hard to get noticed in a losing team.

Zzippy wrote: »
    No, he's not. Carty was playing very well last season too, he was just surrounded by a team who weren't, and a coach who didn't appear to have a gameplan. It's hard to get noticed in a losing team.

He should have gone to Munster then. :pac:

I watched Carty a good bit last season and I just don't recall him hitting this level of consistency at that point. His performances in a few interpros were definitely not near what he has delivered this season. His goal kicking has also come on a good bit which is a big step forward to get into an Irish set up.

EDIT: Just checked back on comments on Connacht threads from last season. Mostly positive but he got a decent amount of criticism from his own supporters. Goal kicking a significant issue. I don't think I'm wrong to say his showings this season are on another level to last season particularly in terms of consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Carty's goal kicking has gone from 62-75-81% over the last three seasons. He has improved and it has nothing to do with playing for a weaker team. He also has more line breaks already this season than all of last season and as many offloads. All of these are individual stats and it's the sign of a playmaker getting better and we can see that on tape as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

He should have gone to Munster then. :pac:

I watched Carty a good bit last season and I just don't recall him hitting this level of consistency at that point. His performances in a few interpros were definitely not near what he has delivered this season. His goal kicking has also come on a good bit which is a big step forward to get into an Irish set up.

EDIT: Just checked back on comments on Connacht threads from last season. Mostly positive but he got a decent amount of criticism from his own supporters. Goal kicking a significant issue. I don't think I'm wrong to say his showings this season are on another level to last season particularly in terms of consistency.

Criticism of his goal kicking last season was bat****. Myself and several others pointed it out consistently throughout the season but his goal kicking was improved enormously last season, I think towards the mid/end point of the season his success rate was in the high 70s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Bazzo wrote: »
    Criticism of his goal kicking last season was bat****. Myself and several others pointed it out consistently throughout the season but his goal kicking was improved enormously last season, I think towards the mid/end point of the season his success rate was in the high 70s.

Yep I said it a few times last season Carty had much improved but anytime he missed a kick there were a number of people bemoaning his kicking ability which was mainly down to their perceptions of him based on previous seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The problem all the Connacht players have is the quality of opposition isn’t great to be compared to what the other 3 are playing against

Leinster have played the kids the majority of the Pro14 and are miles ahead of everyone else

It will great if they can get into heneiken cup next year and show what they can do

I've no idea what this means

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

b.gud wrote: »
    Yep I said it a few times last season Carty had much improved but anytime he missed a kick there were a number of people bemoaning his kicking ability which was mainly down to their perceptions of him based on previous seasons

Generally tends to be the case with most players, if they have a flaw for a season or two, it'll follow them around like the plague.

For example, Sean Cronin's set piece, improved massively over the past couple of years but people will still say it's a weakness and something he's not good at.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Bazzo wrote: »

Think I remember hearing on a podcast that his goal-kicking away from the Sportsground is better than for home matches there. I wonder if there is something to that, that the Sportsground is a more difficult ground for goal-kickers in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

aloooof wrote: »
    Think I remember hearing on a podcast that his goal-kicking away from the Sportsground is better than for home matches there. I wonder if there is something to that, that the Sportsground is a more difficult ground for goal-kickers in general?

Its the windiest place on the planet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

AdamD wrote: »
    Its the windiest place on the planet

If there's anything to it (which it seems like there is) then by his goal kicking % should be viewed in that context too. Tho equally position of the kick, distance, score at the time etc. all matter too. It's a really difficult one to quantify with full context.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

aloooof wrote: »
    If there's anything to it (which it seems like there is) then by his goal kicking % should be viewed in that context too. Tho equally position of the kick, distance, score at the time etc. all matter too. It's a really difficult one to quantify with full context.

Taking the above into account the best guide is probably the people who are at every home match and see every kick in the flesh.

Most of whom say - his kicking has improved steadily over the last three years, and is now of excepotional quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Carty is much improved. I think we all agree??

His inclusion is no surprise since Carbery is injured, the question is what happens next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

His inclusion is no surprise since Carbery is injured, the question is what happens next.

The Sexton vs Carty hype train starts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Carty is much improved. I think we all agree??

Is Carbery definitely injured?
    Hadn’t read that anywhere yet.

Is Carbery definitely injured?
    Hadn’t read that anywhere yet.

Thornley's article where he named the probable team:
    Furthermore, apparently Carbery has picked up an injury in training, and with Ross Byrne having been selected to play for Leinster, Carty is thus in line to be named on the bench.

However, in addition to Carty possibly replacing Carbery, it seems as if there will be at least one more change among the backs in the 23 as word is Jordan Larmour picked up a finger injury in training.

With Will Addison back in Ulster to undergo treatment on a lower back problem, this would suggest that either Henshaw or, perhaps more likely, Andrew Conway, will come into the 23, not least as they can each cover fullback.

Thornley's article where he named the probable team:

Thanks, hadn’t read that yet.

So, Thornley has a lot of news there on changes from the Scotland match.
    Read the article there, and summary below:

Healy to be rested, Kilcoyne to start and McGrath on the bench.
    Cronin and Best to swap.
    John Ryan recalled to bench with Porter released back to Leinster.
    James Ryan to be rested with Dillane to start and Henderson on the bench, no room for Beirne.
    Conan left out for Murphy to start at 8.
    Aki and Chris Farrell to partner up in the centre again, no room for Henshaw.
    Carty to replace Carbery on the bench due to injury.
    Conway to replace Larmour on the bench due to finger injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

So, Thornley has a lot of news there on changes from the Scotland match.
    Read the article there, and summary below:

Healy to be rested, Kilcoyne to start and McGrath on the bench.
    Cronin and Best to swap.
    John Ryan recalled to bench with Porter released back to Leinster.
    James Ryan to be rested with Dillane to start and Henderson on the bench, no room for Beirne.
    Conan left out for Murphy to start at 8.
    Aki and Chris Farrell to partner up in the centre again, no room for Henshaw.
    Carty to replace Carbery on the bench due to injury.
    Conway to replace Larmour on the bench due to finger injury.

Of everything I read there I am most glad to see James Ryan rested. He has played a massive amount of high level minutes over the past 18 months.

I wouldn't mind seeing Furlong get the week off too but sure look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

They're always making up stories about players being injured so they don't have to explain selection decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://twitter.com/CianTracey1/status/1098928640182624258?s=19

Carbery potentially out for three weeks. Massive opportunity for Jack Carty who will probably get 20-25 minutes on Sunday.

Of everything I read there I am most glad to see James Ryan rested. He has played a massive amount of high level minutes over the past 18 months.

I wouldn't mind seeing Furlong get the week off too but sure look

Agreed.
    John Ryan to start with Furlong on the bench would be a good swap.
    Though, that would be 4 changes in the tight five, which might be too much change.
    The way it was suggested by Thornley would have 2 retained, 2 rested and 1 benched with 3 promoted from the bench to start, 1 released from the bench and 3 new subs.
    Probably a good balance to that amount of change without overdoing it.

1 change to the back row, direct swap of Murphy for Conan.

No change to the back-line, however, Sexton had so few minutes last time that this is almost like a change there.
    Conway for Larmour and Carty for Carbery although injury enforced are actually favourable switches also to spread around the game time to the whole squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

https://twitter.com/CianTracey1/status/1098928640182624258?s=19

Carbery potentially out for three weeks. Massive opportunity for Jack Carty who will probably get 20-25 minutes on Sunday.

It'll really test the "Jack was just ahead of Ross to get time in camp" lobby. If Ross is parachuted back ahead when it comes to a harder game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

errlloyd wrote: »
    It'll really test the "Jack was just ahead of Ross to get time in camp" lobby. If Ross is parachuted back ahead when it comes to a harder game.

Is anyone really saying that though?

Seems pretty obvious that Byrne had his chance, didn't impress, next guy in line gets a shot. Simple enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Join us at 1:45 for the team it said...........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

Thanos wrote: »
    Join us at 1:45 for the team it said...........

It's on now on RTE news now. Henshaw given an extra week carberry injured, Conan injured.

Team is as reported by Thornley. Only change is Scannell on bench instead of Best.

If Carbery is genuinely out for 3 weeks, it's a bit of a disaster for the RWC preparation. I think they're too far down the road to look at anyone else now but it's going to mean that Carbery may go into the RWC with 70 minutes against top tier oppostion in the past 12 months with 55 of those minutes coming against Scotland a fortnight ago.

I don't count the RWC warm ups as proper tier one matches before anyone points that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ireland Team & Replacements (v Italy, 2019 Guinness Six Nations Championship, Stadio Olimpico, Rome KO 4pm local/3pm Irish)

15. Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 88 caps
    14. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 74 caps
    13. Chris Farrell (Young Munster/Munster) 4 caps
    12. Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 14 caps
    11. Jacob Stockdale (Lurgan/Ulster) 16 caps
    10. Jonathan Sexton (St Marys College/Leinster) 80 caps (vc)
    9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 69 caps
    1. Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 26 caps
    2. Sean Cronin (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 67 caps
    3. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 30 caps
    4. Ultan Dillane (Corinthians/Connacht) 12 caps
    5. Quinn Roux (Galwegians/Connacht) 10 caps
    6. Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 54 caps (c)
    7. Sean O’Brien (UCD/Leinster) 54 caps
    8. Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Ulster) 26 caps

Replacements
    16. Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 11 caps
    17. Jack McGrath (St Marys College/Leinster) 53 caps
    18. John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 16 caps
    19. Iain Henderson (Queens University/Ulster) 42 caps
    20. Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 15 caps
    21. John Cooney (Terenure College/Ulster) 6 caps
    22. Jack Carty (Buccaneers/Connacht)*
    23. Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 10 caps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Delighted for Carty. Almost exactly 2 years ago he had his spleen removed.
    Good to see James Ryan getting a rest. Surprised Furlong is playing.
    What has Larmour done? Surely this is the game for him at FB. injured?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement