Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Delighted for Carty. Almost exactly 2 years ago he had his spleen removed.
    Good to see James Ryan getting a rest. Surprised Furlong is playing.
    What has Larmour done? Surely this is the game for him at FB. injured?

Larmour, Conan and Carbery injured

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Faugheen wrote: »
    Larmour, Conan and Carbery injured

I don't know if he'd be in the 23 anyway. Kearney is still only coming back and Conway needs some gametime if he's to have any chance at Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Ireland Team & Replacements (v Italy, 2019 Guinness Six Nations Championship, Stadio Olimpico, Rome KO 4pm local/3pm Irish)

15. Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 88 caps
    14. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 74 caps
    13. Chris Farrell (Young Munster/Munster) 4 caps
    12. Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 14 caps
    11. Jacob Stockdale (Lurgan/Ulster) 16 caps
    10. Jonathan Sexton (St Marys College/Leinster) 80 caps (vc)
    9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 69 caps
    1. Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 26 caps
    2. Sean Cronin (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 67 caps
    3. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 30 caps
    4. Ultan Dillane (Corinthians/Connacht) 12 caps
    5. Quinn Roux (Galwegians/Connacht) 10 caps
    6. Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 54 caps (c)
    7. Sean O’Brien (UCD/Leinster) 54 caps
    8. Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Ulster) 26 caps

Replacements
    16. Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 11 caps
    17. Jack McGrath (St Marys College/Leinster) 53 caps
    18. John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 16 caps
    19. Iain Henderson (Queens University/Ulster) 42 caps
    20. Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 15 caps
    21. John Cooney (Terenure College/Ulster) 6 caps
    22. Jack Carty (Buccaneers/Connacht)*
    23. Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 10 caps

Been a long time since there's been more Munster players in a 23 than Leinster. The Kidney era I'd imagine...

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Been a long time since there's been more Munster players in a 23 than Leinster. The Kidney era I'd imagine...

Resting the top players sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

They're always making up stories about players being injured so they don't have to explain selection decisions.

Yeah.

Sure no one gets injured in a contact sport :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Who are two most temperamental players in that squad? Who are the captain and vice-captain?

Who are two most temperamental players in that squad? Who are the captain and vice-captain?

POM is captain, Sexton is probably the vice-captain. That's how it went in Australia anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I wonder was the plan to go with Carbery and Carty, but with Carbery picking up an injury they went with Sexton and Carty?
    I said it when the squad was named, it looked likely that Healy, Best and Sexton could have been rested. James Ryan was another that was pointed out by others that needed a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Bit of double standards selecting O'Brien who's leaving to take the Queen's shilling but not Zebo who's tearing it up in France? He's been nominated for European player of the year, and could well be on course to break Chris Ashton's Top 14 try record.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

Bit of double standards selecting O'Brien who's leaving to take the Queen's shilling but not Zebo who's tearing it up in France? He's been nominated for European player of the year, and could well be on course to break Chris Ashton's Top 14 try record.

Sean O Brien is still in Ireland and has earned his send off. Zeebs chose to move at 35 caps or so knowing well the stance of the IRFU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Sean O Brien is still in Ireland and has earned his send off. Zeebs chose to move at 35 caps or so knowing well the stance of the IRFU.

Hmmm, I just think Zebo would have offered a lot more than Henshaw at fullback against England. He would have brought that extra bit of spark and class in attack as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

TOH

Only getting to see the team now. That to me looks like Joe is happy enough with his pack, wants the backs to gel a bit and get some continuity.

Some surprises there. Conan, Larmour and Porter will be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Conan, Larmour and Porter will be disappointed.

Injured, injured and disappointed.

Buer wrote: »
    Injured, injured and disappointed.

We've actually a lot of injuries this six nations. Joe taking his World Cup prep seriously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

We've actually a lot of injuries this six nations. Joe taking his World Cup prep seriously!

Better to get them all now and nto in WC

The 6 nations before last WC I think we more or less had no injuries? It was afterwards they started to drop like flies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Incredible fact from Murray Kinsella is that this is Sean Cronin's first Six Nations start in 68 caps!

Incredible fact from Murray Kinsella is that this is Sean Cronin's first Six Nations start in 68 caps!

He could score a hat trick against Italy and still be on bench against France......cest la vie

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

So as it stands, has Ultan Dillane played his way ahead of Tadhg Beirne in the pecking order?

Roux is in there as a lineout caller and doing a damn good job but would definitely be behind Toner and Henderson.

So as it stands, has Ultan Dillane played his way ahead of Tadhg Beirne in the pecking order?

If it were me I'd post this on the Munster thread.

And I'd make it sound a bit more like a statement. I'll be over in a bit to have a watch.

• Advertisement

Roux is in there as a lineout caller and doing a damn good job but would definitely be behind Toner and Henderson.

Not saying he is or isn't in front of Beirne

not sure what it is about Dillane I would really love to see him do well. I always liked the way he played and really hoped he would kick on.....I mean kick on internationally before anyone says it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

And I'd make it sound a bit more like a statement. I'll be over in a bit to have a watch.

Definitely do not do this. Let Venjur dig his own grave for himself... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He could score a hat trick against Italy and still be on bench against France......cest la vie

Last we saw of Craig Gilroy was a hat trick against Italy! Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Last we saw of Craig Gilroy was a hat trick against Italy! Ha

Larmour too. And he hasn't kicked on yet either.

I think the secret to a long career is to not score a hat trick against Italy.

All of the greats (POC, BOD, Sexton, ROG etc etc) never scored a hat trick against the Italians...

Coincidence? I think not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Not even behind an anonymous username :D

All of the greats (POC, BOD, Sexton, ROG etc etc) never scored a hat trick against the Italians...

I think 68 caps is a fairly decent career already... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

So PO'M is the vice captain and Sexton is

the vice vice captain?
    the assistant vice captain?
    the assistant to the vice captain?
    world player of the year so it doesn't even matter vice captain?
    just show them your medals vice captain?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

While you're there mention how Carty is now clearly ahead of Carberry and Schmidt made up his injury to spare Carberry the embarrassment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Ah sure Dillane is Munster by birth*
    And Beirne is Munster by the grace of god** :D

*moved there when he was 7
    **Scarlets/IRFU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Somewhere out there, Rob Henderson is weeping as he lights up another Marlboro.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement