Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

So as it stands, has Ultan Dillane played his way ahead of Tadhg Beirne in the pecking order? .

We don't know how fit Beirne is. Equally we don't whether Joe really rates Beirne or not. My impression is that he is not as close to Ryan, Toner and Hendo as a lot of people think.

Right now, I'd say not but it might not take much for Dillane to overtake him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Beirne hasn't yet had a club game since coming back from injury. Dillane was MOTM last weekend for Connacht. Dillane is ahead this week. That's all we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

We don't know how fit Beirne is. Equally we don't whether Joe really rates Beirne or not. My impression is that he is not as close to Ryan, Toner and Hendo as a lot of people think.

Right now, I'd say not but it might not take much for Dillane to overtake him.

He has been drafted in as a starter for the Munster game tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

yerrahbah wrote: »
    So PO'M is the vice captain and Sexton is

the vice vice captain?
    the assistant vice captain?
    the assistant to the vice captain?
    world player of the year so it doesn't even matter vice captain?
    just show them your medals vice captain?

He's assistant to the regional manager..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Sean O Brien is still in Ireland and has earned his send off. Zeebs chose to move at 35 caps or so knowing well the stance of the IRFU.

The Zebo ship has sailed, but this arguement is nonsensical.

Zebo was in Ireland at this stage last year, and as he was moving he wasn’t up for selection.

It screams of double standards that SOB is being selected now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

bennyl10 wrote: »

Zebo was in Ireland at this stage last year, and as he was moving he wasn’t up for selection.

No it doesn’t one is in Ireland until after the WC one left in the middle of the cycle so isn’t available for the WC so no minutes were wasted on a guy who wouldn’t be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Zzippy wrote: »
    Beirne hasn't yet had a club game since coming back from injury. Dillane was MOTM last weekend for Connacht. Dillane is ahead this week. That's all we know.

This is what I was getting at. Definitely wasn't trying to make any bigger picture statements.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

warnings and infractions handed out

There's a MOD warning about Zebo chat in the opening post id suggest everyone reads it again if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

what a boring conservative selction from Joe - its Italy in a WC year - take a ****ing chance , most provences would beat that Italian team ( minus Piresse) - totally underwhelmed , getting really worried this WC campaign will get strangled
    once again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭accensi0n

thebaz wrote: »
    what a boring conservative selction from Joe - its Italy in a WC year - take a ****ing chance , most provences would beat that Italian team ( minus Piresse) - totally underwhelmed , getting really worried this WC campaign will get strangled
    once again

What team would you have selected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

once again

Rotating 50% of the pack (more if you consider that although Roux started against Scotland he is still behind Henderson who benches) is not what I'd describe as conservative.

With Larmour, Addison and Carbery unavailable he had less scope to switch round the backs. Maybe Conway could have got a start, but I'd say him and Cooney in particular will get decent gametime.

Edit - fixed for accuracy

accensi0n wrote: »

This game should be about experimenting for WC , its inceredibly conservative (backline) selection , do not know the exact real injury list but I would not have selected Earls/Sexton/Murray/Kearney and Farrell we need to be looking at all options for WC , we know what they can do

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

This game should be about experimenting for WC , its inceredibly conservative (backline) selection , do not know the exact real injury list but I would not have selected Earls/Sexton/Murray/Kearney and Farrell we need to be looking at all options for WC , we know what they can do

The reasons for sticking with Murray and Sexton have been well documented but it is mainly down to lack of gametime and poor form. Farrell has only 4 caps so keeping him in the side is hardly conservative. Could Conway have got a start ahead of Earls or Stockdale? Yeah that's not unreasonable, but Joe will have his reasons. Maybe he wants his back three to get more gametime together after the struggles against England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭accensi0n

as said unsure of all real injuries -

but since you keep asking something like

Henshaw/Conway/Addison
    Conway/Byrne
    Farrell/Addison
    aki/henshaw/Farrell
    Stockdale
    Carty
    Cooney
    van derFlier
    Conan/Murphy
    POM
    Dillane
    Beirne
    Furlong
    Cronin
    McGrath

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Henshaw/Conway/Addison
    Conway/Byrne
    Farrell/Addison
    aki/henshaw/Farrell
    Stockdale
    Carty
    Cooney
    van derFlier
    Conan/Murphy
    POM
    Dillane
    Beirne
    Furlong
    Cronin
    McGrath

Few issues there.

Why drop Kearney who needs gametime?

Why drop Murray/Sexton who need to get back firing again?

Who calls the lineout?

That last one in particular, people need to realise it's going to be one of Dillane/Ryan/Beirne and one of Toner/Roux/Henderson. Henderson would probably be in the first bracket too actually.

Dillane and Beirne don't call lineouts. It's one or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Henshaw/Conway/Addison
    Conway/Byrne
    Farrell/Addison
    aki/henshaw/Farrell
    Stockdale
    Carty
    Cooney
    van derFlier
    Conan/Murphy
    POM
    Dillane
    Beirne
    Furlong
    Cronin
    McGrath

No-one to call lineout is a huge problem

Your calling conservative but playing Furlong?
    McGrath? Lion and huge experience so we know exactly what he can do

Cooney and Carty both getting debut together at same time in 6 nations

Kearney needs time on pitch
    Sexton/Murray need gametime
    Conan has an injury

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    No-one to call lineout is a huge problem

Your calling conservative but playing Furlong?
    McGrath? Lion and huge experience so we know exactly what he can do

Cooney and Carty both getting debut together at same time in 6 nations

Kearney needs time on pitch
    Sexton/Murray need gametime
    Conan has an injury

as said previously the Irish 3rd tream should beat Italy (minus Parisse) - why play Kearney , when we need a FB cover for WC.

Why do Sexton/Murray need international game time , everyone is well awars what they can dothey can do - again its Italy -

as said if Conan is injured ok play murphy - the lack of game time for replacemts this tournament is very worrying , is everyone going to get excited cause we beat Italy ???
    and then if Sexton/Kearney or Murray get injured pre Quaters , we start scrathing our heads and pjust hope

Faugheen wrote: »
    Why drop Kearney who needs gametime?

Why drop Murray/Sexton who need to get back firing again?

Who calls the lineout?

its not dropping , its given squad players start time .

could O'Mahony call lineout ?

as said previously the Irish 3rd tream should beat Italy (minus Parisse) - why play Kearney , when we need a FB cover for WC.

Why do Sexton/Murray need international game time , everyone is well awars what they can dothey can do - again its Italy -

as said if Conan is injured ok play murphy - the lack of game time for replacemts this tournament is very worrying , is everyone going to get excited cause we beat Italy ???
    and then if Sexton/Kearney or Murray get injured pre Quaters , we start scrathing our heads and pjust hope

Players need time on pitch to get up to game pace before big games....Sexton has played very little rugby since Christmas so he needs to get match fit

Murray is out of form and could probably do with a another game to play back into form

Kearney, again has had no rugby so needs to get match fit

What exactly has the World Cup got to do with the 6 nations? You could rest Sexton and Murray the entire 6 nations and they pick an injury at start of World Cup and out

Farrell has played very little for ireland in centre, makes sense to put him in with the big guns and see how they do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Downlinz

bennyl10 wrote: »

It may well be double standards but the fact that this is a world cup year which SOB is available for is a valid counter argument. Although technically and indeed laughably Schmidt did claim last season that Simon wasn't selected due to form and performances rather than anything to do with his move.
    The IRFU could definitely do with clarifying what the actual policy is in this sort of situation regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ireland Team & Replacements (v Italy, 2019 Guinness Six Nations Championship, Stadio Olimpico, Rome KO 4pm local/3pm Irish)

15. Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 88 caps
    14. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 74 caps
    13. Chris Farrell (Young Munster/Munster) 4 caps
    12. Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 14 caps
    11. Jacob Stockdale (Lurgan/Ulster) 16 caps
    10. Jonathan Sexton (St Marys College/Leinster) 80 caps (vc)
    9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 69 caps
    1. Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 26 caps
    2. Sean Cronin (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 67 caps
    3. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 30 caps
    4. Ultan Dillane (Corinthians/Connacht) 12 caps
    5. Quinn Roux (Galwegians/Connacht) 10 caps
    6. Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 54 caps (c)
    7. Sean O’Brien (UCD/Leinster) 54 caps
    8. Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Ulster) 26 caps

Replacements
    16. Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 11 caps
    17. Jack McGrath (St Marys College/Leinster) 53 caps
    18. John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 16 caps
    19. Iain Henderson (Queens University/Ulster) 42 caps
    20. Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 15 caps
    21. John Cooney (Terenure College/Ulster) 6 caps
    22. Jack Carty (Buccaneers/Connacht)*
    23. Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 10 caps
    Fair play to Stockdale. I know its only ceremonial but great to see Jacob affiliating himself to a junior club. Only player to do so. Would be great to see more players do that. Like Furlong should affiliate himself back with New Ross. Its not like he'll be playing club rugby any time soon any way.
    Only getting to see the team now. That to me looks like Joe is happy enough with his pack, wants the backs to gel a bit and get some continuity.

Some surprises there. Conan, Larmour and Porter will be disappointed.
    Should Conan be disappointed. Really dont see what he offers compared to other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Italy are bad but they can still take a scalp at home if for example our set piece falls apart. They still have a handful of talented players. I actually think they are better without parisse, he has lost his athletic talents and still takes on teams on his own, it's almost a liability. I think too much attention is on our half backs and not enough on the loss of form of our front five, who for me were the standouts in last year's grand slam. Furlong is our key man and he is still dominant but we need to get his edge back for the world cup.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    P

What exactly has the World Cup got to do with the 6 nations?

if you don't see what the importance of the WC has this year fair eneogh , no point discussing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

if you don't see what the importance of the WC has this year fair eneogh , no point discussing.

can do dopey rotations in the wc warm up matches

Your “team” was just sticking in players for the sake of it....half of them not playing in correct positions or with proper job.....looked like the team that lost to Italy all those years ago, was waiting for you to stick Pom on the wing.....we have seen enough rotation in 3 years, 6 months out from a WC people are still talking about sticking in players “just to get them a cap”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Zzippy wrote: »

Beirne MOTM last night. Looks to be back on track after his latest injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Beirne MOTM last night. Looks to be back on track after his latest injury.

Yes he was excellent. As always.
    I can see the rationale in sticking with Roux & giving Dillane a start against a disappointingly poor Italy pack.

I would hope Beirne does not miss out on the 23 for France.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yes he was excellent. As always.
    I can see the rationale in sticking with Roux & giving Dillane a start against a disappointingly poor Italy pack.

I would hope Beirne does not miss out on the 23 for France.

Not being able to call the lineout will stand against him there. If Henderson starts Roux will probably bench or vise versa assuming Ryan is available.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

stephen_n wrote: »
    Not being able to call the lineout will stand against him there. If Henderson starts Roux will probably bench or vise versa assuming Ryan is available.

We’ve seen scenarios before where a non-caller has been on the bench like last week.

I don’t think it’s completely out of the question that Beirne could bench next week, but there seems to be (anecdotally) an overall reluctance from Schmidt to involve Beirne, and I think it’s because he doesn’t do enough of the bread and butter you’d expect from a lock. Hes generally a bit quiet around the breakdown for my liking.

I could be wrong here and I don’t mind being wrong. I’m simply guessing from everything I can see so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement