Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Zzippy wrote: »
    Very much doubt Beirne will feature if he's not getting gametime for Munster this week. He's not in the category of players who can walk back into the team without featuring for their province and proving their fitness. He won't have had a game since the Exeter game. Assuming Henderson gets through tonight, it should be Hendo Ryan or Hendo Roux to start against Italy.

I don't think Henderson has a lot to prove but I wouldn't mind having him in with Dillane with Roux on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

It would be interesting to see Tom Farrell get a shot at 13 against the Italians. He's a smart player. When Ireland were crying out for someone to come on and change the picture against England, he'd have been able to make a difference, I think. His ability to manufacture line-breaks is almost unrivalled in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Maybe edit that post?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It would be interesting to see Tom Farrell get a shot at 13 against the Italians. He's a smart player. When Ireland were crying out for someone to come on and change the picture against England, he'd have been able to make a difference, I think. His ability to manufacture line-breaks is almost unrivalled in Ireland.
    Ringrose is the best 13 in Europe. He was also our best player against England, making 3 clean linebreaks, the same amount as the rest of our team combined. Tom Farrell is a good provincial player and wouldn't have made one iota of a difference against England.

I can't believe I took a Richie post at face value

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Lovely try. DK having a good run of scoring this season.

They'll be happy with that try from a set play. Interesting that Ross Byrne moved out wider for the move which is something we've seen from Ireland with Sexton and Carbery recently.

• Advertisement

COB having a fun day so far carrying hard and also getting a chance to show off his passing range, stepping in at outhalf at times.

Buer wrote: »
    COB having a fun day so far carrying hard and also getting a chance to show off his passing range, stepping in at outhalf at times.

Are you deliberately posting this in the Ireland thread?

Oops.

Buer wrote: »
    Oops.

Thought so!

I'm not sure when it happened but England have leapfrogged us in World Cups odds on Paddy Power.

They're 4/1 and we're 5/1.

Excellent news.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

troyzer wrote: »
    I'm not sure when it happened but England have leapfrogged us in World Cups odds on Paddy Power.

Excellent news.

Pre nations they were 7/2 we were 9/2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Can we put the title on the thread now, I think the one about discussing everything from A to Y was a clear favorite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

troyzer wrote: »

Excellent news.

Realistically, the only teams winning the World Cup are New Zealand, England and South Africa. Ireland doesn't really have the collective psyche as a nation to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ireland should have always been behind

NZ
    England
    SA
    Australia
    France

in the World Cup. Based on previous tournaments we are absolutely useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Realistically, the only teams winning the World Cup are New Zealand, England and South Africa. Ireland doesn't really have the collective psyche as a nation to do it.

how did you work that out ?

We did alright last year , many would have said the same about beating all blacks, we would have certainly the same chance of winning WC as England or South Africa at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

thebaz wrote: »
    how did you work that out?

We did alright last year, many would have said the same about beating all blacks, we would have certainly the same chance of winning WC as England or South Africa at this stage.
    We could have said same about world cups before in terms of doing well but we still havent ever won a knock out match in a world cup. In spite of all thats happened past few years i'll be happy if we can just make a semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Maybe we need to import more foreigners then.

Sits in the corner quietly watching Richies head explode.

We could have said same about world cups before in terms of doing well but we still havent ever won a knock out match in a world cup. In spite of all thats happened past few years i'll be happy if we can just make a semi final.

we never have gone into a WC with such a pedigree of winning games , such as beating everyone last year - while I think it unlikely we will beat the all blacks at a WC , we should not be afraid of anyone else , provided we are not hit by catastophic injuries (which derailed our last WC .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

how did you work that out ?

We did alright last year , many would have said the same about beating all blacks, we would have certainly the same chance of winning WC as England or South Africa at this stage.

Get to a semi and we can talk about it then

Our standard is get out of group and then get beaten

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

we never have gone into a WC with such a pedigree of winning games, such as beating everyone last year - while I think it unlikely we will beat the all blacks at a WC, we should not be afraid of anyone else, provided we are not hit by catastophic injuries (which derailed our last WC.
    Injuries last time is part of reason. completely outplayed as well.
    We had decent pedigree before previous world cups obviously not as good as this time but still very good nonetheless and its still 6 world cup knock out games 6 defeats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

What does that even mean? It comes down to players on the pitch. I don't know what that pseudo-intellectual stuff is meant to actually mean?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Eod100 wrote: »
    What does that even mean? It comes down to players on the pitch. I don't know what that pseudo-intellectual stuff is meant to actually mean?

It means if we all pray hard enough we might get to the semis.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Can we please not reply to posts that are obviously are just fishing for a reaction and to drag the thread into the absolute sh*tter.

Ignore them and they will go away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭sxt

I'd put Australia in that list as well. Even though they might not have the greatest of teams this year. They always have the will and tenacity to go far in competitions

Nz could have put out a second string 15 against Argentina in the last world cup and would have found a way to win that game. Losing by 20 points could not have happened

Nz would never get humiliated by England at home, especially in a world cup year. Every team with ambition knows Ireland are vulnerable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

sydthebeat wrote: »

The novenas will be in full swing come September..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

sydthebeat wrote: »

sounds like something you say to your wife on your 30th wedding anniversary night.

sxt wrote: »
    Nz would never get humiliated by England at home, especially in a world cup year. Every team with ambition knows Ireland are vulnerable

NZ lost to England in 2003 in Wellington. The score was tight but England had two men in the bin at one point and NZ couldn't score. They took a huge amount of criticism at the time.

Strange up to 2011 , NZ were labbelled WC choakers and nearly lost that final to a very average French team - selective memory is alive and kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I have similar feelings about the team that were had in 2007, in that we have a very specific structure we try to play within. Back then it was based around territory, lineouts and strike plays. That got taken away and we struggled mightily. A knock out game against SA or NZ, how well can we adapt if faced with the same intensity that England brought?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Nz would never get humiliated by England at home, especially in a world cup year.

Ireland would never get humiliated by New Zealand at home in a World Cup year. Cos they would never play each other. This point is absolutely meaningless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement