Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

nice nips

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Defensive decision making and positioning is the weakest part of his game right now. That’ll only be amplified at 15. Leave him at 11. Could see Lowe ending up at 15 going forward though with his ability to roam and step in as a second receiver. Larmour covering 23, and probably taking over from Earls eventually. Sexton is the wild card. Hopefully he can develop into a quality player. Others will put there hand up, but that’s how I see our back 3 in the next year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

stephen_n wrote: »
    14840629-D619-4-A65-83-C5-C3-B9-D97-BE6-C0.jpg
    8-FA39219-129-D-4115-9-DD5-16-AD8505-BEF1.jpg
    free photo posting

Fit is a lot better on than in some of those images, but prefer the non World Cup one.

No Canterbury logo on the non World Cup one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

clsmooth wrote: »
    No Canterbury logo on the non World Cup one?

It’s behind the phone on the right breast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

clsmooth wrote: »
    Defensive decision making and positioning is the weakest part of his game right now. That’ll only be amplified at 15. Leave him at 11. Could see Lowe ending up at 15 going forward though with his ability to roam and step in as a second receiver. Larmour covering 23, and probably taking over from Earls eventually. Sexton is the wild card. Hopefully he can develop into a quality player. Others will put there hand up, but that’s how I see our back 3 in the next year or two.

Agree with that synopsis of the back three.
    Can’t see Stockdale anywhere other than 11.
    Would love to see 15Lowe; Larmour, Stockdale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Having a better understanding of what a full back wants from a winger, playing different positions helps round out skillsets. For example playing at 15 for a while would naturally lead to having to improve under a high ball and having to make better decisions with his kicking. Taking these extra skills back to the wing could improve his overall game.

Maybe when your a kid. The Australian push for all players including the forwards to play all positions when kids to improve skills. I think NZ do the same....

Once you are a pro it is better to concentrate on a single position and master it.....moving players from one position to another doesn't help them at all, look at Madigan. Unfortunealty Larmour is getting pushed into this as well and having to switch positions....

Stockdale is only playing 2 years at the top level, he still has some issues on the wing, what would Ireland gain from switching him? we lose one of our topclass wingers and we are a bit short on them. Plus you confuse a very young player with having to teach him 2 game plans.....

The Henshaw to FB would be a better option, he is more experienced and we have decent cover at centre

Desperate for my rugby fix. Any recent interesting podcast? Maybe world cup related?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,074 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Desperate for my rugby fix. Any recent interesting podcast? Maybe world cup related?

for short n sweet ones.. check off the Off the Ball rugby podcasts on every team in this RWC

each episode is mostly a conversation with an ex player of each country

https://www.offtheball.com/podcasts/rugby-on-off-the-ball

otherwise "interesting " is subjective... buit i think its worth listening to both Stuart Lancaster and Andy Friends "coaches corner" podcasts

https://rugbycoachscorner.podomatic.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Second shout for the weekly Newstalk podcast, although the title and, as a result, the intro, are a massive cringefest. The Rugby Coaches Corner is also good. I think if you dig a bit you can find some podcasts Stuart Lancaster did for Newstalk on the subject of leadership.

I highly recommend Rugby Reloaded with Professor Tony Collins. Short, usually around 10-15 minute podcasts about various aspects of rugby history.

Green & Gold Rugby and The Rugby Ruckus are two Australian podcasts still putting out stuff in the lead up to the Rugby Championship.

Finally, if you’re a fan of Blood & Mud, they’re doing weekly podcasts on their premium feed over the summer, although I think they’re bringing back the free weekly show for the RC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Squidge rugby has a youtube series on each of the world cup teams and what they bring. Most of them are done. I have enjoyed them so far, especially the lower ranked teams you never hear about.

• Advertisement

Thanks Lads. Very much appreciated. Listened to the Russia & Japanese episodes last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

http://officiating.worldrugby.org/index.php?page=appointments&id=116

Barnes, Garces, Gardner and Berry for our group games.

Barnes best ref at the moment and Leinster player used to him, not sure if Munster had him recently?

We seem to have issues with Gardner last few times so players need to wise up to him....would have preferred Graces for the Japan game as it would be free for all at breakdown and we should win

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It shouldn't matter either way, but Barnes in that game suits us fine. Hes one of the best out there at the moment & we're well used to him. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

http://officiating.worldrugby.org/index.php?page=appointments&id=116

Barnes, Garces, Gardner and Berry for our group games.

That's a pretty fantastic group of refs, possible the best in the business. Which means we'll probably get Peyper or Jackson for the 1/4

That's a pretty fantastic group of refs, possible the best in the business. Which means we'll probably get Peyper or Jackson for the 1/4

I though the P ref name was banned from all forums !!!!:p

South Africa are a much more competent team than they've been the last few years. Australia were poor but they still have plenty of talent and would trouble most teams. With the names missing from South Africa I think the tests between them and NZ are going to be wars.

That first pool game has huge consequences for our world Cup but I'm no where near as confident about facing South Africa in a semi and I'm not even certain it will be them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

South Africa are a much more competent team than they've been the last few years. Australia were poor but they still have plenty of talent and would trouble most teams. With the names missing from South Africa I think the tests between them and NZ are going to be wars.

That first pool game has huge consequences for our world Cup but I'm no where near as confident about facing South Africa in a semi and I'm not even certain it will be them at all.

We’re very much a momentum team. If we win our way through to a semi I believe we could well be capable of beating any team in the world if some other things go our way. I think I’d actually prefer the strongest semi final opposition possible at that point. But if we get there despite underperforming and struggling through weaker opposition then I fear it’ll be the same result again for us.

We’re very much a momentum team. If we win our way through to a semi I believe we could well be capable of beating any team in the world if some other things go our way. I think I’d actually prefer the strongest semi final opposition possible at that point. But if we get there despite underperforming and struggling through weaker opposition then I fear it’ll be the same result again for us.

I actually meant quarter above, it will be SA or NZ in a quarterfinal depending on who tops our and their pool.

We had a better route to final last RWC with Argentina / Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

As an ignorant kiwi I would have thought the opposite, capable of beating any team on your day but not sustaining that same form over the course of multiple games.

• Advertisement

I actually meant quarter above, it will be SA or NZ in a quarterfinal depending on who tops our and their pool.

We had a better route to final last RWC with Argentina / Australia.

I realized but I had already written the post so I committed in the hopes we could pretend

I realized but I had already written the post so I committed in the hopes we could pretend

The world cup was last year and we won.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

hahashake wrote: »
    As an ignorant kiwi I would have thought the opposite, capable of beating any team on your day but not sustaining that same form over the course of multiple games.

I think IBF is right. Look at the last 2 6Ns for example. We started badly but found a way to win in Paris last year and went on to win a deserved GS. We started badly and couldn't find a way to win against England this year and that was the story of our tournament.

We used to be a team that was capable of the big one-off performance, but over the last few years we've developed a lot more consistency. I'm not sure you could make it to 2nd in the world without that tbh. But we are still working on being able to turn bad momentum around. We haven't figured that one out yet for some reason.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I think IBF is right. Look at the last 2 6Ns for example. We started badly but found a way to win in Paris last year and went on to win a deserved GS. We started badly and couldn't find a way to win against England this year and that was the story of our tournament.

We used to be a team that was capable of the big one-off performance, but over the last few years we've developed a lot more consistency. I'm not sure you could make it to 2nd in the world without that tbh. But we are still working on being able to turn bad momentum around. We haven't figured that one out yet for some reason.

And the year before the GS our bus got caught in traffic so we lost 2 games

molloyjh wrote: »

Fair enough. I don't think you will lose a game in your pool and if you lose the 1/4 then you are out regardless so the bad start scenario doesn't really apply - unless you somehow lose to say, Scotland, in the pool.

Looking back on the 2015 WC, Ireland was 4 from 4 in the pool with mostly comfortable scorelines then went on to get blitzed by Argentina in the 1/4. I'm aware there were a few key injuries at that stage but that's almost a given for any team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Fair enough. I don't think you will lose a game in your pool and if you lose the 1/4 then you are out regardless so the bad start scenario doesn't really apply - unless you somehow lose to say, Scotland, in the pool.

Looking back on the 2015 WC, Ireland was 4 from 4 in the pool with mostly comfortable scorelines then went on to get blitzed by Argentina in the 1/4. I'm aware there were a few key injuries at that stage but that's almost a given for any team.

I don’t go in much for excuses but it was a lot of injuries of very key players. Mostly the leaders too

salmocab wrote: »
    I don’t go in much for excuses but it was a lot of injuries of very key players. Mostly the leaders too

McCaw, Rettalick, Carter, Reid, Kaino.

Imagine pulling those names out of a team the week before a fixture. Basically what happened to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

salmocab wrote: »

It'd be the equivalent of the ABs losing Retallick, Barrett, Read and Savea at the same time.

It wasn't just a case of testing our squad depth, we lost 3 players who were test players in the 2013 lions team and then POM and Payne who were lions later on and leaders of the squad.

I'd say it was well above the 'average' allowance for injuries through the group stages.

McCaw, Rettalick, Carter, Reid, Kaino.

Imagine pulling those names out of a team the week before a fixture. Basically what happened to Ireland.

Completely understand but I guess my point was you have to be prepared for a similar scenario in a WC. Ireland has much better depth now so I'm sure even in a worse case injury scenario they wouldn't lose as much going to their 2nd and 3rd choices as they did in 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Completely understand but I guess my point was you have to be prepared for a similar scenario in a WC. Ireland has much better depth now so I'm sure even in a worse case injury scenario they wouldn't lose as much going to their 2nd and 3rd choices as they did in 2015.

Oh we were undercooked squad wise alright then. Think we’re in a much better place now. Those injuries were nearly all the worst possible positions for us. It was freakish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement