Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,996 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Addison shortened from 4/1 to 4/7 to make the squad yesterday.

thats quite a jump and im not convinced money moved it that far... i wonder do the bookies know something we dont??

LOL

someone must be reading this thread cos hes only just gone into 1/3 now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Addison was always come into the reckoning if he got fit. I'd bring him ahead of Conway, Dave K and certainly ahead of Haley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

IRFU uploaded the official launch photos with some manky filter on Instagram, but the player fit looks slightly better. Still shíte though.

pu7bAAh_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
    SjVPCeB_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I actually quite like the away one. Looks a hell of a lot better in that picture without the sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'm not sure what's not to like about it.

I said the same about the England shirt. It's plain so it will age well. There's a lot of jerseys that do not stand up to the test of time. Some fall into the "classic retro" bracket. But most don't.

This jersey doesn't have a sponsor which I like

The monstrosity that was the RWC15 logo is gone which I also like

The V neck collar is a good look I think - much better than the weird roundy one we had a few years back.

Personally, Canterbury stuff fits me very nicely so I will definitely be buying this jersey.

The alternate jersey isn't great but we will only be wearing it against the Boks. And that will be in the quarters at the earliest. If we win that the jersey will forever be shown in images and clips of the first semi we qualified for and I think people will remember it more fondly.

I see a lot of people complaining about the place that it's the "exact same as the England Jersey" The stencils are obviously the same but I don't really see what the problem is about that?

To me it seems that a lot of peoples gripes about the similarities to the England jersey wouldn't be there if we released ours first. Which is pretty petty

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭bilston

sydthebeat wrote: »
    nah not really... the move didnt happen until well after the announcement that he was joining up with the training squad..... if it was due to him joining up then they would have cut the odds sooner.

or maybe it simply is that enough money was put on him after the announcement that moved him so much... but thats quiet a big jump to be fair.

hes jumped ahead of Andrew Conway now in the betting, who has been in there from the start... and would be vying for a similar position.

Interesting also that Mike Haley isnt actually included in the PP odds at all.

Either way missing half of last seasonhas to have hurt his chances. He will need to hit the ground running in the warm ups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I'm not sure what's not to like about it.

I said the same about the England shirt. It's plain so it will age well. There's a lot of jerseys that do not stand up to the test of time. Some fall into the "classic retro" bracket. But most don't.

This jersey doesn't have a sponsor which I like

The monstrosity that was the RWC15 logo is gone which I also like

The V neck collar is a good look I think - much better than the weird roundy one we had a few years back.

Personally, Canterbury stuff fits me very nicely so I will definitely be buying this jersey.

The alternate jersey isn't great but we will only be wearing it against the Boks. And that will be in the quarters at the earliest. If we win that the jersey will forever be shown in images and clips of the first semi we qualified for and I think people will remember it more fondly.

I see a lot of people complaining about the place that it's the "exact same as the England Jersey" The stencils are obviously the same but I don't really see what the problem is about that?

To me it seems that a lot of peoples gripes about the similarities to the England jersey wouldn't be there if we released ours first. Which is pretty petty

As I said before, it looks awful on a model but looks quite good on its own or on the team and I think the model picture is where the negativity came from.

I agree that's its quite nice, quite plain and a definite improvement on the current kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

It's plain so it will age well.

Anything with a date on it doesn't usually age well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I actually quite like the away one. Looks a hell of a lot better in that picture without the sponsor.

Agreed, it's different too.
    I'll pick it up, without the sponsor in the post WC sales, along with Fiji.

I can't believe the IRFU just accept Template jersey #7271 in green though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Also what's the story with all rugby kit manufacturers now just reusing templates for gear. It's the exact same template as the England jersey, same collar, same piping on the sleeves and the slits towards the bottom.

Its been that way as long as I have been following sport. Its more obvious on plain jerseys than heavily motifed ones, but for example, if you go back to Ireland's first fitted CCC jersey in RWC 2007 or Leinster's gear from the HC win in 2009 and compare the collars and trims with other teams who used them, they are a template. Same in soccer, same in GAA.

PS the Ireland jerseys are shyte.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Anything with a date on it doesn't usually age well.

I disagree.

That pic of Shane Horgan in the '03 jersey brought me right back to it. I think it looks great still and the date on it adds to the whole aged nosalgia feel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I just seen both jerseys in lifestyle sports. They look the exact same as the first released pics. The pics with the players wearing them are photoshopped a lot.

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    I just seen both jerseys in lifestyle sports. They look the exact same as the first released pics. The pics with the players wearing them are photoshopped a lot.

I wouldn't say they're photo shopped much or at all.

The official test jerseys are designed to be pretty snug. Especially on the lads with their shoulders and chests as big as they are

Example, below is a picture from Elverys mannequin. Pretty skin tight. Similar look as it is on the lads.

TNSiYzt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I was not a fan when I saw the leaked photos the other day but I think it’s actually quite nice based on the photos I’ve seen today. The new World Cup badge is definitely a huge improvement over previous years!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mark_way

Addison was always come into the reckoning if he got fit. I'd bring him ahead of Conway, Dave K and certainly ahead of Haley.

And maybe Larmour too? I think Larmour's been elevated above his station to some extent - internationally speaking, that is. He hasn't really done anything at test level outside his excellent hat-trick against an awful Italian team. There are a few question marks over his defence as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

mark_way wrote: »
    And maybe Larmour too? I think Larmour's been elevated above his station to some extent - internationally speaking, that is. He hasn't really done anything at test level outside his excellent hat-trick against an awful Italian team. There are a few question marks over his defence as well.

How many games has Larmour played in a row? How many of those games in the same position?

Might be better to put question marks over players when they have a run of 10 games in a set position

mark_way wrote: »

Larmour has done fine. He has done more at test level than Addison or Conway.

I think our back three clearly picks itself, but Larmour is clearly the next cab off the rank should there be an injury or a horrendous loss of form.

By the way on a slightly related topic in terms of the make up of the squad and versatile players, but will we see Stockdale start a warm up game at 15? That would definitely bring a big change up to our attacking game. But you obviously lose a lot taking Kearney out as we saw against England in February.

bilston wrote: »
    Larmour has done fine. He has done more at test level than Addison or Conway.

I think our back three clearly picks itself, but Larmour is clearly the next cab off the rank should there be an injury or a horrendous loss of form.

By the way on a slightly related topic in terms of the make up of the squad and versatile players, but will we see Stockdale start a warm up game at 15? That would definitely bring a big change up to our attacking game. But you obviously lose a lot taking Kearney out as we saw against England in February.

The Stockdale to 15 is maybe something after the WC when Lowe etc is in the squad

Who will take his spot on wing if he moves to 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd say it's more likely we see Henshaw or Carberry at 15 than Stockdale tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

14840629-D619-4-A65-83-C5-C3-B9-D97-BE6-C0.jpg
    8-FA39219-129-D-4115-9-DD5-16-AD8505-BEF1.jpg
    free photo posting

Fit is a lot better on than in some of those images, but prefer the non World Cup one.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

stephen_n wrote: »
    free photo posting

Fit is a lot better on than in some of those images, but prefer the non World Cup one.

Want a Munster contract?

• Advertisement

Want a Munster contract?

The missus won’t even let me wear a red t-shirt :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

bilston wrote:

Nooooooooo

Stockdale could turn out to be one of our best ever wingers but he isn't even close to being the finished article there. He needs to keep developing and moving him around now is only going to slow him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Nooooooooo

Stockdale could turn out to be one of our best ever wingers but he isn't even close to being the finished article there. He needs to keep developing and moving him around now is only going to slow him down.

Playing at 15 occasionally could make him a better winger though.

stephen_n wrote: »
    free photo posting

You look very different in my head. Think Jabba the Hutt.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Playing at 15 occasionally could make him a better winger though.

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Are the squad back in Carton House next week?

Nooooooooo

I don't mean for him to play there full time (not anytime soon anyway), but if Joe is surveying his squad in terms of who can play where at the WC surely it's worth a go in a warm up game.

bilston wrote: »
    I don't mean for him to play there full time (not anytime soon anyway), but if Joe is surveying his squad in terms of who can play where at the WC surely it's worth a go in a warm up game.

If we had loads of World Class winger then yes, but we don’t....really the back up is Larmour who is really a 15....Earls and stockdale are first choice by a fair distance

Of course he could bring back in D Kearney

More backup in centre and probably why the henshaw experiment which is worth another look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    How?

Having a better understanding of what a full back wants from a winger, playing different positions helps round out skillsets. For example playing at 15 for a while would naturally lead to having to improve under a high ball and having to make better decisions with his kicking. Taking these extra skills back to the wing could improve his overall game.

• Advertisement

You look very different in my head. Think Jabba the Hutt.

Not really sure what goes on in your head, nor that I’d want to. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement