Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

South Africa are a much more competent team than they've been the last few years. Australia were poor but they still have plenty of talent and would trouble most teams. With the names missing from South Africa I think the tests between them and NZ are going to be wars.

That first pool game has huge consequences for our world Cup but I'm no where near as confident about facing South Africa in a (quarter-final) and I'm not even certain it will be them at all.

Agreed 100%. An ominous performance from South Africa.

On the flip side, this QuadNations could be pretty entertaining this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

salmocab wrote: »
    Oh we were undercooked squad wise alright then. Think we’re in a much better place now. Those injuries were nearly all the worst possible positions for us. It was freakish.

If our entire squad hasn't had match time together during the group stages, then we will always be in trouble by the quarters with forced player changes.

My hope is that we will see very different player combinations for each of the group games that play as a single unit, then when changes are forced it won't be the same shock...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

It's probably been posted already and tried googling with no joy but anyone know of the warm-up games will be televised?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Eod100 wrote: »
    It's probably been posted already and tried googling with no joy but anyone know of the warm-up games will be televised?
    channel 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

RTE and Ch4. Twickenham game on Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

RTE and Ch4. Twickenham game on Sky.

Cheers lads! Need to plan those and the rugby championship

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Cheers lads! Need to plan those and the rugby championship
    Handy site here for TV details https://liveonsat.com/x-rugby-union.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

The biggest concern for the World cup is who will we have left injury wise by the time the quarter final comes,

I think South Africa, New Zealand and England have the most depth and ability to take a few injuries and not be overly weakened

A number of our players are also prone to injury like VDF and Sexton - Irelands biggest battle this time around is trying to win games without bashing teams to bits in the pools and trying to spare our players for a few big knockout games after the pool - but its a WC so every game will be tough..

I don' think Ireland can win without using such high ruthless intensity like they did against NZ recently, sadly I don't think that play style is not sustainable for 3 WC knockout games in a row...

In the last WC if we played against Argentina with the same intensity we played France the week before the result would've looked different imo, its all about when you use your blood and guts all in performance - we used ours against France and Argentina used theirs against us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

its all about when you use your blood and guts all in performance - we used ours against France and Argentina used theirs against us.

The comparison to Argentina is an interesting one because our fixtures for 2019 fall much like theirs did in 2015, namely the most important fixture first up. In 2015 it was building towards the France game, and obviously injuries in that game took a massive toll on the QF. Lets hope it can be different this time round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The biggest concern for the World cup is who will we have left injury wise by the time the quarter final comes,

I think South Africa, New Zealand and England have the most depth and ability to take a few injuries and not be overly weakened

A number of our players are also prone to injury like VDF and Sexton - Irelands biggest battle this time around is trying to win games without bashing teams to bits in the pools and trying to spare our players for a few big knockout games after the pool - but its a WC so every game will be tough..

I don' think Ireland can win without using such high ruthless intensity like they did against NZ recently, sadly I don't think that play style is not sustainable for 3 WC knockout games in a row...

In the last WC if we played against Argentina with the same intensity we played France the week before the result would've looked different imo, its all about when you use your blood and guts all in performance - we used ours against France and Argentina used theirs against us.

Any team loses a couple of big names players and they are gone

You mention Sexton, what would happen to England with Farrell? etc etc....

The injury toll after France was too much for any top side to take.....also we might forget but Argentina where a good team. IN the first game they nearly got the better of NZ, probably ran them as close as any of the rest of the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Our inability to match another team's intensity worried me the most. Whatever you want to believe about How keeping the game plan simple for the last 6Ns, we failed miserably to deal with how England and Wales went after us. That's been a consistent failing of the team for years, repeatedly in 1/4s. There hasn't been one good knockout performance since 91, all the more falling after topping our group for the last 2 tournaments.

Our inability to match another team's intensity worried me the most. Whatever you want to believe about How keeping the game plan simple for the last 6Ns, we failed miserably to deal with how England and Wales went after us. That's been a consistent failing of the team for years, repeatedly in 1/4s. There hasn't been one good knockout performance since 91, all the more falling after topping our group for the last 2 tournaments.

It's not been a consistent failing of the team under Schmidt's tenure though in terms of results which, imo, is far more salient in regards the upcoming RWC.

Ireland was always the plucky underdog

Even the last WC it was like a WC final to beat France in the group. Similar to Aus in the group stage in 2011.

At this stage the team has changed, these are players who have only known winning. Playing with U20 or with clubs. Then with Ireland.

Beating a France in group stages? who cares sure we beat them majority of years in 6 nations etc etc.....

I think the mind set has changed. Ok we didn't have a great 6 nations but how many playersgot used?

I would prefer to take the positives. We need to forget about 2007, who cares now. Ireland is a different rugby nation now, we are not one of the top sides in theWC consistently for 6 years. Our provinces are top teams in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

It does seem like we can't really catch a break. Remember England vs France quarter 8 years ago? Both deserver to go home. Now we have a quarter against a side with good odds of winning the entire thing.

We get 3 world class 7s that could walk onto most tier 1 international sides and somehow two get injured before the world cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ireland was always the plucky underdog

Even the last WC it was like a WC final to beat France in the group. Similar to Aus in the group stage in 2011.

Was it though? We were surely favourites going in and I never really expected us to lose that game.

aloooof wrote: »
    It's not been a consistent failing of the team under Schmidt's tenure though in terms of results which, imo, is far more salient in regards the upcoming RWC.

We've been better, certainly but there's still been occasions where we've been caught flat in big games. Test against NZ after Chicago, 2nd test against SA when we were up by 2 scores, Argue 1/4, this past 6Ns. There's of course nuance to those games, but I still have doubts about them facing a fired up SA.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Was it though? We were surely favourites going in and I never really expected us to lose that game.

Ahh come on now, it was huge for Ireland to beat them in WC. Trying to play the old "i knew".....

Go back to the scene after the game etc...

Look at any of the coverage pre game and people said yes Ireland should win but nobody was jumping around saying it was certain

I am not sure what the point of these two comments are.

Joe had one game in 1/4 final and lost it, but a huge hole was in team and it was unlucky. It has been pointed out a few times if any top team lost those critical players they would struggle....

So aloooof when have they consistent failed? under Joe?

In regards to original, yes we struggled against Wales and England this season, but then again they struggled against us last season. You would think Ireland winning in Wales was easy, Wales are fairly decent and extremely good at home. It is very very hard to win away from home, as all the teams find and normally it is outside the norm for the big teams to win away from home, hence why a Grand Slam is so big

The bad result was the England at home but still with 20 mins left Ireland where still in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Joe had one game in 1/4 final and lost it, but a huge hole was in team and it was unlucky. It has been pointed out a few times if any top team lost those critical players they would struggle....

In regards to original, yes we struggled against Wales and England this season, but then again they struggled against us last season. You would think Ireland winning in Wales was easy, Wales are fairly decent and extremely good at home. It is very very hard to win away from home, as all the teams find and normally it is outside the norm for the big teams to win away from home, hence why a Grand Slam is so big

The bad result was the England at home but still with 20 mins left Ireland where still in the game.

I think you need reread alooof's post. He said its not a consistant failing

In regards to original, yes we struggled against Wales and England this season, but then again they struggled against us last season. You would think Ireland winning in Wales was easy, Wales are fairly decent and extremely good at home.

It's not the loses, it's the manner in which the team played. They were markedly 2nd best, never even in those games. Compare that to NZ, for example. In the games we've won against them, we've played at an absolute zenith of intensity. NZ didn't wilt under that pressure, they kept coming at us and could've won. Those were end of season matches for them, with only pride at stake.

To me, that's where the team is lacking. We're poor at chasing games, and upping our game to match a motivated team, that isn't France anyway.

• Advertisement

irelandrover is spot on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ahh come on now, it was huge for Ireland to beat them in WC. Trying to play the old "i knew".....

Go back to the scene after the game etc...

Look at any of the coverage pre game and people said yes Ireland should win but nobody was jumping around saying it was certain

We hadn't lost to France in 5 years at the time. No one thought it what a dead cert of course, but Ireland were comfortably favourites for that match.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,073 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

We hadn't lost to France in 5 years at the time. No one thought it what a dead cert of course, but Ireland were comfortably favourites for that match.

we were 2 point favs

Sorry misread

As posted above, 2 points is hardly comfortable.

Trying to go back now and say beating France in WC was not an achievment for the team is odd. It was a massive win for Ireland. The previous WC France had got to the final.

I know I celebrated it that day.....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,073 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I know I celebrated it that day.....

We absolutely shot our load that day.

We couldn't match the emotional pitch for the Argentina game, and the injuries we shipped were awful.

At least this time our main pool rival game is first up, so as we play the bottom feeders we have a chance to R + R.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It does stress me when Irish fans use terms like "bottom feeders", the mockers gods love us already.

It does stress me when Irish fans use terms like "bottom feeders", the mockers gods love us already.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement