Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It does stress me when Irish fans use terms like "bottom feeders", the mockers gods love us already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

It does stress me when Irish fans use terms like "bottom feeders"

...all the more so if you have a bad case of verbal diarrhoea...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

it's still a sh!tty term... only a fool would use it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It does stress me when Irish fans use terms like "bottom feeders", the mockers gods love us already.

Not a saying I would use seeing as most countries probably put Ireland in that category up TIL recently, probably some stilldo in a WC sense

• Subscribers Posts: 41,074 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

it's still a sh!tty term... only a fool would use it...

Whatever... It's a realistic term.

Do you want to bet any money that Samoa and Russia WON'T be at the bottom of our group come the end of it???

Russia are going to be eaten alive by Ireland Scotland and Japan, and I can see Samoa putting a good score on them too....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Sorry misread

Apology accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Any team loses a couple of big names players and they are gone

You mention Sexton, what would happen to England with Farrell? etc etc....

The injury toll after France was too much for any top side to take.....also we might forget but Argentina where a good team. IN the first game they nearly got the better of NZ, probably ran them as close as any of the rest of the team.

If Farrell goes out they have Ford and others - I think Englands gameplan revolves around dominating the gainiline and sprinting up in defence

If Farrell goes they can still do this to a large degree - if we Lose sexton we lose most of our attacking structure - Sexton is far more valuable to us then Farrell is to England,

Also if we pick up injuries to Ryan or VDF i think thats us goosed also - England have Underhill, Vunipola, Curry brothers, Lawes, Launcheburry, Itoje, Cruise

Far more depth in the pack for you to even suggest we have similar depth to England is laughable and green tinted...

If Farrell goes out they have Ford and others - I think Englands gameplan revolves around dominating the gainiline and sprinting up in defence

If Farrell goes they can still do this to a large degree - if we Lose sexton we lose most of our attacking structure - Sexton is far more valuable to us then Farrell is to England,

Also if we pick up injuries to Ryan or VDF i think thats us goosed also - England have Underhill, Vunipola, Curry brothers, Lawes, Launcheburry, Itoje, Cruise

Far more depth in the pack for you to even suggest we have similar depth to England is laughable and green tinted...

Look at the results of England without B Vunipola....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Think you’re vastly underplaying the depth we have in our pack too. If Ryan’s out Henderson comes in. I’d agree we are going to be light on backrow cover if VDF is injured but I’d take Ruddock ahead of the curry brothers or Lawes any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm honestly more concerned about the warm up games than the group games for potential injuries.

England and Wales, granted the intensity will probably be a step down, but they're still two fairly physical sides and players will be fighting for spots.

• Advertisement

I'd prefer no warm up games at all. We can beat Scotland coming out of the cold. The rest of the games are basically warm ups for the quarters.

I'd prefer no warm up games at all. We can beat Scotland coming out of the cold. The rest of the games are basically warm ups for the quarters.

We thought that a few years ago and got our ass handed to us in the first half.....Scotland are better now, so are we but we need to be prepared.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Are the squad training this week or off today? Just spotted one of the squad down Shop St in Galway...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

no we cant. No side can go into a world cup cold
    We need to get players up to speed and fill out rest of squad of 31

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Zzippy wrote: »
    Are the squad training this week or off today? Just spotted one of the squad down Shop St in Galway...

Off week. Cian Healy was on OTBAM this morning explaining it was a down week away from the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

For you to suggest our depth is not close is just bizarre

Locks and Back Row players that we have available to us this RWC:

VDF - One of the best opensides in Europe - Phenomenal workrate

POM - Captain of a test Lions side. Has his disbelievers but there's few teams in the world he doesn't start against

Conan - Reached a different stratosphere of standards the tail end of last season. One of the best 8s in Europe

Stander - One dimensional but what a dimension that is. Can build a test game plan around his physicality. Test capped Lion

Ruddock - Outstanding player and would have 30 more caps to his name if were not for how good a player POM is. Some unbelievable showings for Leinster this season

Jordi - Probably the best 6,7,8 in the world at the moment. I can't think of another player who has played all 3 positions to as high a standard as he has

Henderson - A freakishly gifted athlete with an unbelievable workrate and power game. Excellent skills and speed too.

Ryan - James. Ryan

Toner - The ruck hitting, line out gathering, hard scrummaging machine.

That's not to totally dismiss the players England have at their disposal. They're excellent. But your making it sound as if we've only got JCT players to pick from. We've got Lions, Pro14 & European Cup champions to pick from.

Honestly mate, it wont kill you to be at least a little positive. You'll live longer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I'm honestly more concerned about the warm up games than the group games for potential injuries.

England and Wales, granted the intensity will probably be a step down, but they're still two fairly physical sides and players will be fighting for spots.

Presumably there will be fair bit of rotation. 4 games seems like a lot but need some test level prep. Last Test game was in March otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Eod100 wrote: »
    Presumably there will be fair bit of rotation. 4 games seems like a lot but need some test level prep. Last Test game was in March otherwise.
    2 games before squad is named so 2 games for final positions in 31 man squad to be decided and then 2 for anyone in final squad to get game time as necessary

They will do similar as last time.....

First match will be used to cut the squad of players.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Healy said in that interview he was 127kg at the 2015 WC......that seems exceptionally high for him :eek:

• Advertisement

For you to suggest our depth is not close is just bizarre

Locks and Back Row players that we have available to us this RWC:

VDF - One of the best opensides in Europe - Phenomenal workrate

POM - Captain of a test Lions side. Has his disbelievers but there's few teams in the world he doesn't start against

Conan - Reached a different stratosphere of standards the tail end of last season. One of the best 8s in Europe

Stander - One dimensional but what a dimension that is. Can build a test game plan around his physicality. Test capped Lion

Ruddock - Outstanding player and would have 30 more caps to his name if were not for how good a player POM is. Some unbelievable showings for Leinster this season

Jordi - Probably the best 6,7,8 in the world at the moment. I can't think of another player who has played all 3 positions to as high a standard as he has

Henderson - A freakishly gifted athlete with an unbelievable workrate and power game. Excellent skills and speed too.

Ryan - James. Ryan

Toner - The ruck hitting, line out gathering, hard scrummaging machine.

That's not to totally dismiss the players England have at their disposal. They're excellent. But your making it sound as if we've only got JCT players to pick from. We've got Lions, Pro14 & European Cup champions to pick from.

Honestly mate, it wont kill you to be at least a little positive. You'll live longer

VDF been in and out of injury last few seasons - clearly our best flanker - injury prone , fingers crossed he doesnt pick one up

POM - wouldnt make any other team in the TOP 5 in World rugbys backrow on current form - hes only there on name

Stander - fairly average season losing his place to Conan because of this

Conan - good form - Nz, SA, Eng, Wales all probably have better options

Jordi - was playing in the quarters last wc were our pack got absolutely smashed and out muscled by Argentina - not effective at international level bar a couple moments - good at pro14 level

I forgot we arent allowed to bring up valid talking points about our squad that got handled by Eng and Wales in the six nations

this is a forum for discussion if you want to read glowing comments about the squad all the time then log off the internet lol

stephen_n wrote: »
    Think you’re vastly underplaying the depth we have in our pack too. If Ryan’s out Henderson comes in. I’d agree we are going to be light on backrow cover if VDF is injured but I’d take Ruddock ahead of the curry brothers or Lawes any day of the week.

To take Ruddock over the England starting 7 and a Lawes who had an outstanding 6 nations means your Irish and bias , i'm Irish and not bias but some people on this forum massively overate our players

VDF been in and out of injury last few seasons - clearly our best flanker - injury prone , fingers crossed he doesnt pick one up

POM - wouldnt make any other team in the TOP 5 in World rugbys backrow on current form - hes only there on name

Jordi - was playing in the quarters last wc were our pack got absolutely smashed and out muscled by Argentina - not effective at international level bar a couple moments - good at pro14 level

I forgot we arent allowed to bring up valid talking points about our squad that got handled by Eng and Wales in the six nations

this is a forum for discussion if you want to read glowing comments about the squad all the time then log off the internet lol

Sure we might as well stay at home :P:P

VDF had a knee injury, that was the main injury. After that I think he had a minor knock but was back playing soon after

Conan wipped the floor with all these better English and Welsh players all season......

We didnt get out muscled by Argentina, the problem was they ran around us.

Ireland is number what in World, won a Grand Slam last year, a tour in Australia, beat NZ again in November.....lost 2 games, yes 2 games in 6 nations. One away. Had a nightmare with injuries during the tournament with 2 critical player never actually been full fit....

But sure yeah, we are s**t...

:P

This fantastic England team, take Billy Vunipola out of the team and see what happens
    Wales, yeah they are great......at home.....lets see how good they are away from home. Every other occasion they bottle it. Remember France v Wales in first match of 6 nations? they got ass handed to them....France handed them the second half....>Scotland should have beaten them at home as well.....

Yes we are not the finished article and I would love Leavy to be on the plane but the current options for Ireland are extremely good

your Irish and bias , i'm Irish and not bias

Simply asserting this doesn't make it so.
    ...some people on this forum massively overate our players

Perhaps. But put simply, we have the strongest strength in depth we've ever had. In 2011, we brought Tom Court and Tony Buckley. In 2007 we brought Bryan Young and Brian Carney (remember that!). It'll almost certainly be the strongest squad we've ever brought to a RWC. You could probably make a decent 15 of players who'll miss out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

TBH I don't know if England are any better off, but we have very questionable depth in most positions.

If we say that the first-choice XV is:

Healy Best Furlong
    Ryan Toner
    POM Stander VDF
    Murray Sexton
    Earls Henshaw Ringrose Stockdale
    Kearney

then I think only Henderson and Aki can come in at the same level of quality versus the guy they would replace. If Jack McGrath gets back to form/fitness/whatever, he could go into that category and maybe Conan too. Beyond that, I think there's a big drop-off in pretty much every position.

That's not to say the others are bad players, or that they wouldn't come in and do a job, but in terms of real quality alternatives challenging for a jersey, we are pretty thin IMO.

If we get the same level of injuries as we did in 2015, the end result will likely be the same.

The great England team is all based on 1 result against Ireland when we had a bad day, England had us lined up for months after we trashed them at Twickeham and we didnt get to the run of the game. Still with 20 odd mins left we still had a chance.

After that they fell apart in Wales, and didnt bother showing up for Scotland in second half.

Wales won a slam but got hammered by France who then threw away the match. A french team which Ireland walked over. Scotland could and should have beaten them at Murrayfield

So I am not 100% sure where the love in for all things Welsh and English is coming from?

Bill Vunipola is the main guy as I have mentioned, he is hardly had an injury free few years, he has admitted himself his arm is weak and he has to protect it as it got broken twice, that goes in a warm up and england are fecked. Simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'm quite glad I'm not you to be honest.

It takes a lot of effort to be this pessimistic about a team you supposedly support.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

To take Ruddock over the England starting 7 and a Lawes who had an outstanding 6 nations means your Irish and bias , i'm Irish and not bias but some people on this forum massively overate our players

Lawes is a donkey and not the brightest one at that. I think you are biased alright, just not towards Ireland. But hey that is your opinion and you’re entitled to see things however negatively as you wish.

Who is the starting 7 for England?

• Advertisement

Who is the starting 7 for England?

It's Tom Curry, isn't it? He had an extremely good 6 Nations, to be fair to him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement