Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If you are charging your EV and get clamped at an Irish rail station reference this from the Irish Rail FAQ section to the clamper

Can I park my electric car free of charge at Iarnród Éireann stations?

• An electric car may park free of charge at designated charging bays only for the purpose of re-charging the vehicle’s power supply. If electric car is not charging parking fees will apply.

Clarification is not to clarify things. It is to put one’s self in the clear

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

If people are parking all day though, surely they'll be not charging at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

At some stations there is just a 7Kw charger, so a 62 or 72kwh battery car could possibly be there for the full work day (if it arrived on the electric equivalent of fumes) and be charging away.

Any higher rated charger, or smaller battery, would probably be fully charged within the standard work / commute day and you'd have to pay for parking (and apply to rejoin the human race for blocking the charger for the whole day 🙂)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

I think you have to assess driver behaviour based on the particular setup. If I drive to my local Lidl in an empty Model S, connect it up to the free juice and feck off home for a few hours until it's fully charged, then clearly I'm acting outside the intended use of the charger and that's not fair. But at any commuter railway station, the behaviour that must be expected by those who put the charger there is that a park and ride driver is very likely to arrive in the morning, hook up, then leave again in the evening, full, but probably not having needed all day to get full. If we are to suggest that the behaviour of Driver 2 is not OK, we have to question who the tiny niche of drivers are who can use this kind of charger in a fair way.

I think that we have to just accept all day stays as being the expected and inevitable use of a station charger. The main problem we have is that there isn't enough charging capacity for all the drivers who might wish to do that. Where we probably need to get to with this is a setup where there is a very large number indeed of sockets to connect to, but with enough load-sharing or queueing logic built in that everybody gets to plug in all day without anybody depriving anybody else of the opportunity to get the, possibly small, amount of charge they need.

Until then, it's first come, first served and we have to get over our resentment of the all-day squatter because it's probably the only thing we could have done too.

• Advertisement

Deoends on what you define as "all day" I parked at the station at work for 5 hours the other day while charging, I could get a lot done at the other end of the train line in that time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well said

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If I ever have to park and charge at an Irish rail station, and I know I’m going to be back in say 9 hours….. I’m plugging the car in and dialling the amps down so the charge session is lasting 9 hours….

Don't hate the player, hate the game!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Station chargers should be AC only and there should be a dozen of them at every station.

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Ecars think they might do any rollout of charge points this year at all? January come and gone and nothing new to show for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

Too busy connecting the two new Tesla sites. Can’t be talking on too much work in January 😛

Also, am I right in thinking that the two additional Tesla sites will have more fast charging units (> 100kW) then all the eCars sites put together?

there are currently 14 150kW+ Tesla chargers awaiting grid connection, and very soon that number will be 18.

Meanwhile eCars are no doubt still dining off Mayfield, a half working '8 car hub', which was installed 8 months ago now....

I'm sorry, but that's just fcuking abysmally slow, and no amount of sh1tty '3 car' 'hubs' (with AC?!?) will ever mask over the fact that they are beyond pathetic with their 'hub' rollout. January already breaking records in terms of EV sales... so thats another 2,000 cars on the road so far this year and how many new chargers have they installed in that time? NADA. Another 2,000 cars next month, and the month after, helped by the Tesla boats arriving.. so in another 2 months we'll probably be in or around 6,000 new BEV's registered YTD.

Hook up those new M6 Superchargers, stick one in somewhere in the southeast, and eCars can do one.. I and most other Tesla drivers will be shot of them for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭cannco253

I've asked the question of eCars plans for 2022 a few times, zero response.

If you read the article below it mentions that the "project" is due to be completed in 2022. Where are things now compared to the "project" ?

"ESB rollout

Currently mostly chargers are operated by the ESB

€10 million was committed from the Climate Action Fund (CAF) to support ESB investment in the charging network and this has leveraged a further €10 million investment from ESB. This intervention alone will result in:

- 90 additional high power chargers, each capable of charging two vehicles

- 52 additional fast chargers, which may replace existing standard chargers

- 264 replacement standard chargers with more modern technology and with each consisting of two charge points

The project is due to be completed in 2022."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've posted it before, that €10m for the entire country is a joke, each motorway service station in the UK gets more

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

- 90 additional high power chargers, each capable of charging two vehicles

Long way from that. Mayfield is 4, and the other BS hubs ads an additional 10 I think.

They also say they'll have 50 hubs (I think there's a breakdown of types/size somewhere). So far there's 10 hubs. Just 40 to go in the year. May as well give themselves bonuses now.

I also heard the funding is all gone/allotted to projects already. Not unrealistic. 20m is very little, and projects would earmark funding well in advance of their rollout, but what has been implemented since the funding was gone isn't inspiring.

Post edited by Black_Knight on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Czech Republic had 100-ish CCS connectors 3 years ago, just like Ireland. Similar area and motorway length, less EVs. Yeah it's continental and transit and all that... but still.

3 years later 650...

And meanwhile in Ireland, where are we now? From 90 CCS to 130 in the same period...

What needs to happen? Can IEOVOA show the graph above (or dozen of others from "small countries") to Ecars and the Government to make the point?

This is not keyboard warrior-ism @zg3409, this an evidence based critique, which is the only way to lobby the two organisations to pressure for change. Show them data, ask uncomfortable questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Does the Czech Republic not have huge traffic flowing through from the continent? Ireland is out on its own so doesn't have that problem.

"Can IEOVOA show the graph above (or dozen of others from "small countries") to Ecars and the Government to make the point?"

No, they'll be far too busy discussing how the Christmas party went, and then the big news we've all been waiting for which will be the focal point of the meeting, will be the triumphant return of the eCars Twitter account.

They'll probably ask: "hey, can we get more chargers?" and eCars will tell them: "It's actually quite hard installing chargers" and the IEVOA will lap it up and agree, and the grand sum of fcuk all will happen for another 12 months, except we'll have another 20,000+ new EV's on the road.

Charging in the wild this summer, during busy periods and weekends is going to be an absolute sh1tshow.... again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Agree. This is why one needs a tesla and/or an Ionity sub to traverse the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Partial

So there is a 45 min limit on fast chargers (specifically Chademo as I have a Leaf). Is it possible to cancel the session just by swiping on the app and therefore saving on the extra charge or are all of these chargers button only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭10-10-20

In fairness, it's pretty easy to snipe from the side and not actually add real value to the conversation. Do you honestly think that the ESB are trawling through boards looking for tips on how to keep us all happy? I'm a silent but paid member of IEVOA and I take an interest in their activities, but a pressure-group like that can only be as strong as the will of their members. I'd suggest that you and others here engage constructively and see if you can get some common ground which is mutually beneficial to EV owners as a whole.

Our friend in Waterford appears to be in dispute again……….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭cannco253

IEVOA Saturday 5th Feb 1PM State of the Network Live Broadcast

This Saturday (5th Feb) at 1PM on our Youtube Channel, LinkedIn and Facebook group we will be live streaming a State of the Network webinar. Speakers from EasyGo, eCars, Ionity, Tesla Owners Club Ireland and IEVOA will be sharing you updates and 2022/23 plans for our EV network. Join us, ask questions and get them answered. 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The gauntlet has been thrown.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭daddy_boy

warning rant starting ----

I am so annoyed with esb/ ecars We are now a three BEV family, i persuaded my daughter and wife to agree to move to BEV, and the last 7 days summed up the complete annoyance that is esb/ecars all of us where travelling from cavan to wexford on different days within the last week and we agreed that we would take different routes M7/9 an M11 etc

Kilcullen " Ultra " Fast Slow - Broken ,

Coynes Cross a Queue (2 waiting 90 min wait) and

Gorey also a queue ( 1 hour wait)

these motorways are main routes and should have multiple plugs/chargers so that people get charged quickly and get on with there journey.

last summer i drove around Europe for 11 days and covered 4500 km with my 90kwh car and had no problems charging and no waiting to get a charge. I also visit the UK frequently and drive London to Edinburgh via Rossslare (not Belfast I wonder why? maybe because there are so many chargers !) or Holyhead once again no problems. But as soon as i arrive in my homeland a complete mess.

I love this country but sometimes i just get so annoyed that we cant seem to get the basic stuff right.

Why cant we have 4+ units with load balancing/sharing at EVERY service area, and don't say there isn't enough power at the service stations or the network cant support it , just get on and sort it out. the electricity is sold at a healthy mark up in comparison to domestic rates.

The only conclusion i come to is that

1. ESB is incompetent
    2. Nobody in ESB drives a BEV
    3. ESB management spend a lot of times in meetings discussing the agenda for the next meeting.
    4. ESB think they are doing a wonderful job and are been held back by everyone else.
    5. ESB staff are on a management/team building courses organized by "Training for Dummies"
    6. Nobody cares and they are just waiting till they can draw there pension or get promoted.

--------Rant over till next time i am stuck at a ESB charger.

Post edited by liamog on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

+1 for Ionity. It's expensive but take as little as you can get away with and the convenience value is worth it.

ESB innovation ROI Ltd. trading as ESB eCars just don't care. Didn't bother to close out planning permission for sites. Haven't seemed to do market analysis on charger types i.e. they don't use the Supercharger method vs AC to DC conversion in a standalone point of failure* Still installing AC 22kW. Installing 2 chargers and calling it a hub. Not utilising the knowledge and funds of the ESB Group to innovate, develop and build (and even patent) their own solutions.

*Ionity so this with ABB and Tritium equipment they should do better as well.

Post edited by liamog on

Will you be tuning in tomorrow to see IEVOA?

Live on YouTube, FB & Twatter 1pm

Mod Note: Try to keep it clean

Post edited by liamog on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭innrain

I'll be there maybe with some delay. I'm also paid member before I even got the car. Ranting on a forum is not in vain (this is to reply to a previous comment regarding join up or shut up). It will give active members a feel of what we as masses think about a subject. It will give them ideas of how to do things. Unfortunately all the times when they've organized an even it clashed with my other things. On another side I'd like to see them less PC and more incline to debate issues with gov. Saturday at 1pm with 2 kids definitely I'd have something to do family wise.

Ecars doesn't care because they think we have no other choice. We have no others to turn up. to Well I made my purpose of not using them anymore. Yesterday I charged at Lidl on Boughall Road 39kWh, today I'm charging at Helix/DCU another 40kWh, both easygo. Hasta luego ecars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭daddy_boy

Not everyone has ccs and it is expensive, i do use them because i have ccs and only for 10mins to give me that extra bit of range

Full Definition of innovation

1 : a new idea, method, or device : novelty

2 : the introduction of something new

no further comment required !!

i suspect i will tune in, i will try and ask a question - politely, but i doubt it will change there perception of what a good hand job they are doing

Advertisement