Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭innrain

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

In that config they work for front (leaf/kona), rear passenger side (tesla, ioniq28, some others), front driver wing possibly too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Wouldn't say that with certainty, a Kona will be very close if not crossing the white line.

Is that Athenry?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭wassie

Enfield.

Ah, older photo so, I was there last week and all but done now and all rubble/blocks etc gone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I think from here on in eCars need to stop doing the sites with 1x 150kW unit + 1x 50kW unit (Kilcullen, Kells, Blanch etc..3 spots where 4 cars can charge) and the minimum going into any fast site from here on in should be what's gone in in Tuam.. 2x 200kW units, with 4 plugs on each unit..

It even does away with the CCS v CHAdeMO argument, because its 4 spots, and any 4 cars can charge there, so if 4 Leaf's rock up, they can all charge, likewise 4 ID.4's, good luck to them..

Oh and by the way, that site in Tuam.. '"if"' it works as it's supposed to, it'll be as good a site as Mayfield currently is... so why not just start loading those units in everywhere now...?

with charge ports basically everywhere on different EVs it really is a nightmare to have a perfect parking solution for all

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I've heard Ecars state that <200kW at a site and they don't have to install a substation. Hence the 150kW + 50kW combo they're installing in a lot of places. Anything with more than 200kW and they'll have to install a substation... costing more money. Which probably means any of those 150kW + 50kW sites won't likely get any upgrades for a long time.

Personally, those 200kW double socket units are a better option than the 150kW+50kW. Fast speeds for all, no plug availability issues, no parking issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭eltoastero

Raging if it's only v3 sites, purely for selfish reasons as the Castlebellingham sites are the ones I would use. I totally agree/respect the need to retain the majority of plugs per site for Tesla vehicles, the SC network is a key consideration (and benefit) of buying a Tesla over any other EV so that benefit should be retained.

More chargers means everyone wins. We're all friends here.... right

November says on plugshare. Already 2 months waiting for the connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

eCars/The Office for Low Emission Vehicles need to start publishing stats like the report published below.

Northern Ireland had the lowest level of charging device provision in the UK, with 18 devices per 100,000

Haven't heard anything about when the OLEV is due to be set up, it was last mentioned in November. I've an email with SEAI who said they will forward to the Department of Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

Off topic but Tesla cables could be lengthened, the pillars rotated, spaces re painted. The actual charging hardware is away from the parking space, so it's relatively easy to rotate it or replace cable with longer version or overhead swing arm as with other brand chargers. Super short cables were to prevent people driving over them and they weren't needed for Tesla's.

They should open up asap as it's a shane these are unused in ROI 99% of the time.

In terms of grid connections it's a big problem cost wise for ESB and Tesla and Ionity could not get reasonable priced grid connection in NI so did not roll out any sites there from the rumours I heard. Load sharing across chargers would make sense as it's unlikely 100% occupancy with 100% peak power draw from all cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

I don’t believe the Tesla chargers are unused 99% off the time. That might have been true for the last few years but in my limited experience, that’s quite busy at certain times.

You want them to be relatively under-used. You want slack in the system to allow for breakdowns and you want people to arrive, charge go. You don’t want people queueing if possible. Maybe more importantly, you want this to continue even as the number of Tesla vehicles in the country grows.

It would be a mistake to look at eCars and Tesla and somehow decide the Tesla are the problem when in fact they are many years ahead of eCars. Tesla did it right from the start looking to the future, a small number of high power hubs. eCars did it wrong from the start focusing on the Leaf by installing a broad network of single chargers delivering only 22kW and 50kW.

Tesla's implementation is bang on. Oversupply, and when demand catches up, oversupply more. Removes charger anxiety.

If they insist on opening up (I wouldnt), then they would need to do a retrofit like they did on the existing V2 stalls to add ccs, to instead this time add longer cables.

Note: I believe V2 is not capable of being opened up as there isnt the required hardware in the unit, like v3 has. The only current v3 in Ireland is Mahon Pont, a 4 stall site and thus not likely a candidate for opening up anyway. Tesla have said this will only be done at large (10+) sites and where there is low utilization.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭eagerv

Was down at Mahon shopping centre on Wednesday. In the two hours(Morning) I was there, between 2 and 3 teslas were charging (Not the same cars). I'd say it's going to be a busy place, will 4 chargers be enough?

Tried the Frankfield ECars new double unit for about 10 mins, nobody there, except for me. Wouldn't start with card, had to use App.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The thing about Tesla opening up their network is they'd be making money off it so could in theory invest that money back into their network

Thing is, they are V3 chargers, take that with Model 3 charging speeds and anyone charging will be gone after 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

Was at the Galway retail park earlier this morning.

The eCars 50kW charger there was blocked by 2 large commercial wheelie bins that were full, looked like they were from the nearby McDonalds.

I'm sure someone can come up with a suitable TLA for this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Laviski

those two bins are normally put in the space that is a designated yellow box, if they were blocked the two spaces for charging i would just say some yahoo probably put them there or maybe moved for access to the building that is there anyways doesn't happen often. Also the bins are for the park itself not mc donalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Says it all really.

(20th Jan, shamelessly taken from Plugshare)

https://www.plugshare.com/location/352557

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That that charger most likely out of action now for the rest of the weekend….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭eagerv

Complete Parking Management Solutions... Lol..😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Pity they didn't clamp or take away vehicles who park in front of chargers.

I know that clamping blocks the charger completely but word would soon spread after a few €120 fines are dished out.

Looks like they are using CCS but no one in car.

If they were in the car they wiouldnt have been clamped.

Again, take the Tesla overstay fee, if over 50% of chargers in use then 50c/minute, if 100% occupancy then €1/minute.

Both without a cap and payable for all cars, even those with free SuC.

I was in Birdhill two weekends ago, another Model S and a Model 3 charging so close to 50% occupancy, lad came out of the building (you get a notification) and took his Model 3 off charge and reparked it in main parking area and went back into building. Simples

From the Tesla website

For every additional minute a car remains connected to the Supercharger, it will incur an idle fee. If the car is moved within 5 minutes, the fee is waived. Idle fees only apply when a Supercharger station is at 50% capacity or more. Idle fees double when the station is at 100% capacity. To be clear, this is purely about increasing customer happiness and we hope to never make any money from it.

I think it is the best way of handling the overstay. You want to keep it there and frustrate others pay for it. ESBs one time 45 mins which can be prevented by stopping from the app it is a joke. They said they will review it, it is 2 year now and not really. They must be happy with the outcome. In 45 mins at max you get 37kWh which might mean only 50% SoC. I can imagine some new drivers being puzzled by the whole situation.

and the solution - as is the solution to nearly all the issues - is simply more chargers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Must have been gone quick - I used it on Friday and it was clear. Its actually a very handy location - well used myself an ID4 and an Audi used it post work. 50kw handy to have close to work.

Advertisement