Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It would be pathetic if eCars didn't buy chargers with load balancing, there are a lot of cars out there that aren't capable of >75kW for very long. I'd much rather get some charge than sit waiting for the user to finish.

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

liamog wrote: »
    It would be pathetic if eCars didn't buy chargers with load balancing, there are a lot of cars out there that aren't capable of >75kW for very long. I'd much rather get some charge than sit waiting for the user to finish.

Have to agree. Think about those times you're waiting to use the charge point only for someone to dribble in the last 20% into their battery. Now (if I understand how these would load balance) you should be able to get the guts of 150kW into your car (if capable). It inevitably be frustrating when I find out they can only give 150kW or split it 75:75.

Have to agree. Think about those times you're waiting to use the charge point only for someone to dribble in the last 20% into their battery. Now (if I understand how these would load balance) you should be able to get the guts of 150kW into your car (if capable). It inevitably be frustrating when I find out they can only give 150kW or split it 75:75.

That's solved by having enough chargers.

No need to load balance with the proper infrastructure.

More costly though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I can't see any scenario where I'd prefer a non-load balancing capable charger to be installed. Hopefully eCars choose a solution based on a first come first served basis rather than reducing the first car's power due to a second plugging in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Hopefully eCars will get at least 2 MW to all its new fast charge sites. This shouldn't really be that much of a big deal, a data centre uses at least ten times that.

This 150kW to be shared across several chargers is a load of bollox. This is 2020 and Ireland is a rich country. For feck sake.

unkel wrote: »
    Hopefully eCars will get at least 2 MW to all its new fast charge sites. This shouldn't really be that much of a big deal, a data centre uses at least ten times that.

This 150kW to be shared across several chargers is a load of bollox. This is 2020 and Ireland is a rich country. For feck sake.

It's a 150kW shared across one charger with multiple charging connectors.

Yep I agree 100% about the chargers, Ireland being a rich Country I'm not in such agreement lol. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

Yep I agree 100% about the chargers, Ireland being a rich Country I'm not in such agreement lol. :D

Ireland a rich country? Last month, maybe true.

Today........ I think we can all agree on that!

Ireland isn't nor ever was a rich country, a country so in debt that is barely keeping it's head above water, a health service in such a state. Rich ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Ireland isn't nor ever was a rich country, a country so in debt that is barely keeping it's head above water, a health service in such a state. Rich ?

It's not so black and white. GDP and HDI versus debt per capita. Ireland isn't "not rich".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That'll be me. The lack of progress is just ridiculous though. For years the ESB were giving out they had no funding. Which was fair enough, although a lame excuse not to invest some of their own profits into the network. Now they are getting millions from the tax payer and we don't see it go to any fast chargers to speak of. Where is it going is the pertinent question.

Apologies if it appears I was shooting the messenger though, liamog. That was not my intention at all.

Thankfully, like ELM327, I now own a long range Tesla. Personally I don't need the network at all. That doesn't make me less passionate about the sorry state of our public network though. So I'm afraid you'll have to bear with me :p
    Yes but you havent even bought the adapter to use the network!
    markpb wrote: »
    All major routes except for the N2, N3 and N4 (without a decent detour via Athlone) and the west of Ireland.
    Yes, the N2/N3 and N4(without going M6) is not served by >50kW.

However they are less than 100-150km so you are not likely to need a charge in a long range ev anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes, the N2/N3 and N4(without going M6) is not served by >50kW. However they are less than 100-150km so you are not likely to need a charge in a long range ev anyway

It's 300km round trip to visit my parents, a trip I would routinely made in a day. There's no destination charging (7, 11 or 22kW) available near them so it's a challenging trip to make in my 75kW EV. Granny charging for 3-4 hours adds little or no range.

There are plenty of other destinations along those routes that are over 200km one-way. None of those trips are very convenient, except with the very highest range cars. For everyone else, they're fubared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

It's 300km round trip to visit my parents, a trip I would routinely made in a day. There's no destination charging (7, 11 or 22kW) available near them so it's a challenging trip to make in my 75kW EV. Granny charging for 3-4 hours adds little or no range.

There are plenty of other destinations along those routes that are over 200km one-way. None of those trips are very convenient, except with the very highest range cars. For everyone else, they're fubared.

A 75kWh car and you're afraid to take on a 300km round trip? It must be one of those horribly inefficient, expensive ones.

I wouldn't worry about it, even a little bit, in my 64kWh. In January, cold and wet, I did a 300km motorway run, at UK speed limits. I arrived at my chosen charger (Membury services, UK M4) with 55kms remaining and no stress as there are 4 rapid chargers within the remaining range.

What is your route (roughly)
    Surely Ionity at citynorth, castlebellingham Suc or Ionity Athlone coudl not be too far away

Think this is the first time i've thought of an EV as being a bit stupid, like i'd categorise inefficient, big engined cars sold in the US.
    25kW/100km is awful. From SR post above he's getting ~18kW/100km in a not so aero eNiro.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What 75kWh EV couldn't do a 300km trip (with say 4 hours of granny charging, so an extra 8kWh, if it is too close for comfort without it)?

I haven't tried it yet, but it would be tight enough in my 85kWh car (which is nearly 6 years old though) in winter at motorway speeds without granny charging.

Think this is the first time i've thought of an EV as being a bit stupid, like i'd categorise inefficient, big engined cars sold in the US.
    25kW/100km is awful. From SR post above he's getting ~18kW/100km in a not so aero eNiro.

My average over the 21k I have my S is 234 wh/km.. Usually on a motorway its at 250.

What 75kWh EV couldn't do a 300km trip (with say 4 hours of granny charging, so an extra 8kWh, if it is too close for comfort without it)?

I haven't tried it yet, but it would be tight enough in my 85kWh car (which is nearly 6 years old though) in winter at motorway speeds without granny charging.

My S has about 75kWh of usable available energy, maybe a bit less, and I'd just about do 300km in winter.

I'm heading straight up the N3 to the far end of Cavan with a diversion to the FCP in Navan both ways. Teslafi details attached. I fast charged on the way there and back and granny charged for just under 4 hours while I was there.

I'm heading straight up the N3 to the far end of Cavan with a diversion to the FCP in Navan both ways. Teslafi details attached.
    Google maps suggests a route by kinnegad is possible, I'd top up in kinnegad, two chargers there, much better, alternatively the castlebellingham SuC or Ionity Citynorth are 20km diversions.

• Advertisement

I think we found a prime reason why upgrading the AC in Kells and Cavan to DC is useful!

Google maps suggests a route by kinnegad is possible, I'd top up in kinnegad, two chargers there, much better, alternatively the castlebellingham SuC or Ionity Citynorth are 20km diversions.

Kinnegad adds almost 30 minutes, Castlebellingham adds 45 minutes. Those aren't great options for a sub two hour trip. And, in both cases, changes it from a trip primarily on motorway and national primary routes to national secondary routes which aren't as comfortable to drive on.

As I said earlier, the N2, N3 and (parts of the) N4 are poorly served for the vast majority of people. The rest of the primary routes from Dublin aren't in a bad place and are slowly improving.
    I think we found a prime reason why upgrading the AC in Kells and Cavan to DC is useful!

Definitely! It's just a pity that it's in such a poor location. Town centres are not great places for fast chargers.

Great, well, hopefully you benefit from the Cavan upgrade as mentioned above in that case.
    I wonder if your route is a corner case - or my use case is a corner case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

A bit better than that as I have a 40km drive to the ferry, and no onboard charging, So I wasn't leaving Pembroke Dock at 100%. So total from 100% was around 320 kms.

My S has about 75kWh of usable available energy, maybe a bit less, and I'd just about do 300km in winter.

75 Kwh out of 85 ?

How do you find the capacity of the S ?

My average over the 21k I have my S is 234 wh/km.. Usually on a motorway its at 250.

Interesting. I retract my comment so.
    Just seems crazy to think 75kW could struggle to do 300km, when my 28kW Ioniq will do ~170km of national and motorway driving, and then talk of the Soul/eNiro/Kona doing 300km handy.

75 Kwh out of 85 ?

How do you find the capacity of the S ?
    The 90 had usable 82 from factory which was changed to 77 in a recent update.

Estimated deg to be a few %

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

More updates from eCars.

The upgrades in Cavan and kells started last Friday, but have now stopped due to lockdown, and latest is no work will happen until lockdown is lifted and for now both sites are offline :(

zg3409 wrote: »
    The upgrades in Cavan and kells started last Friday, but have now stopped due to lockdown, and latest is no work will happen until lockdown is lifted and for now both sites are offline :(

I guess that 150km trip is a smidge outside the 2km radius we're to adhere to anyways.

• Advertisement

I guess that 150km trip is a smidge outside the 2km radius we're to adhere to anyways.

Not sure driving an EV counts as personal exercise!

Advertisement