Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Taylor-made CVPL Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I know Wikipedia says the bridge was designed like that to slow down traffic but I don't believe that for one second.

My thinking is that the bridge was designed like that as a piece of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

https://www.rvapc.com/works/laguna-garzon-bridge/

Here is the architect firm who designed it. It is a 'lagoon within a lagoon' and reduces the impact on the environment/fragile ecosystem, and creates a public realm for bird watchers and clam harvesting(? dunno how they do that!).

Essentially, a bridge doing more than a bridge does, which is nice I suppose!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

josip wrote: »
    I think if it was only to slow traffic down, speed bumps would have been more cost effective.
    My first thought was a backhander, but Uruguay is one of the least corrupt countries in South America

According to the developer,

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-uruguay-has-a-circular-bridge-2016-1?r=US&IR=T

In the end I think it's simply free advertising for life for the developer, who also happens to be an art collector.
    Best $10 million he ever spent.

It does have speed bumps too:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

https://www.rvapc.com/works/laguna-garzon-bridge/

Here is the architect firm who designed it. It is a 'lagoon within a lagoon' and reduces the impact on the environment/fragile ecosystem, and creates a public realm for bird watchers and clam harvesting(? dunno how they do that!).

Essentially, a bridge doing more than a bridge does, which is nice I suppose!

I call bullsh1t on that fanciful description of it.

No way it reduces the impact on the environment/fragile ecosystem. If anything, it is more destructive to the environment to build the bridge that way.

For instance, it uses more concrete/steel than a straight bridge.

It looks like twice as many pillars were used to support the bridge than if it was a straight bridge. That means twice as many holes dug in the sea bed thereby doubling the disturbing of the environment.

The circular pattern of the pillars wouldn't create a lagoon within a lagoon as they are only narrow concrete pillars. They would offer no protection/shelter from water currents/tides etc.

Nah, not buying the fanciful explanation.

It does look nice though if I'm being honest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Victor wrote: »
    I wonder what parts of the unicorn they use to make this.

543790.jpg

The delicious part, I'm not surprised there isn't any unicorns left if that's what they taste like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

They even come with their own cone.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,302 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I wonder what parts of the unicorn they use to make this.

543790.jpg

543817.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's a Wankel engine in action
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_engine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Most engine manufacturers use the standard circular cylinder where the piston goes up and down. The wankel uses a different design and can be more powerful (with a hit on fuel efficiency).
    Mazda have used them quite a bit in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭josip

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116301585&postcount=9037

That’s a serious spin for a bit of innuendo.

IQzsIRP.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Probably need a Kerry reg to help out the van (KY)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Most engine manufacturers use the standard circular cylinder where the piston goes up and down. The *wankel uses a different design and can be more powerful (with a hit on fuel efficiency).

*Not to be confused with the wankel drivers. Most commonly seen in BMW, Mercedes etc. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Technically, it's even farther than that as AN is the vehicle code for Ansbach in Bavaria. Adds 400km to the journey (or 1 hour per Google Maps, which must be assuming some interesting Autobahn speeds!)

Well worth it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Need a sat nav for that joke.... I'm lost

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Most engine manufacturers use the standard circular cylinder where the piston goes up and down. The wankel uses a different design and can be more powerful (with a hit on fuel efficiency).

From the dizzying heights of my ignorance, I thought that was an artificial heart. :|

Screenshot-20210216-204141.jpg
    Does the driver get to blow at half time ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Matches be damned, I'd get tickets just to see a choo-choo train up close again!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Its a rotary engine which means it can spin faster than the up-down of a normal reciprocating one.

Turbines take the spinning thing to the max with some small ones doing 165,000 RPM

• Advertisement

I
    Turbines take the spinning thing to the max with some small ones doing 165,000 RPM
    weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! (at an ultrasonic level) :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! (at an ultrasonic level) :)
    With big steam turbines in power stations and ships the pressure is so high that if there's a leak then the hiss of escaping steam could so high pitched it's ultrasonic.

Nowadays you just use something like a bat detector, but in the olden days there were two ways of finding a leak.

You could use a rag on a stick. Or wait until you come in contact with the steam travelling at supersonic speeds at a temperature that makes the pipes glow a dull red and slices through flesh like an invisible light sable.

With big steam turbines in power stations and ships the pressure is so high that if there's a leak then the hiss of escaping steam could so high pitched it's ultrasonic.

Nowadays you just use something like a bat detector, but in the olden days there were two ways of finding a leak.

You could use a rag on a stick. Or wait until you come in contact with the steam travelling at supersonic speeds at a temperature that makes the pipes glow a dull red and slices through flesh like an invisible light sable.

The idea of these guys being invisible is terrifying.

Its a rotary engine which means it can spin faster than the up-down of a normal reciprocating one.

That's be some heartbeat, all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,302 ✭✭✭✭Victor

boombang wrote: »
    Screenshot-20210216-204141.jpg
    As someone put it, that's their training ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Kat1170

4 people/bottles one ??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,436 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Kat1170 wrote: »
    4 people/bottles one ??

Arm on the left is camouflaged so only looks like 3 arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Kat1170 wrote: »
    4 people/bottles one ??

TTrY4A0.jpg

You can see the end of the sleeve highlighted

As someone put it, that's their training ground.
    The visiting team will be chuffed to bits if they get a corner.

• Advertisement

Lads, could ye try not to derail the thread with your puns please?
    We had it back on track for a while there.

Advertisement