Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Taylor-made CVPL Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

Must look up anatomy of a brake drum. These jokes are of a different caliper.
    Wrong brakes! :P
    There's no stopping him now......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The end justifies the means, Capt'n.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Markcheese wrote: »
    Somehow I picture hobbits living like this ...

I just see a ridiculous waste of space! :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Are those the green belts everyone is talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I just see a ridiculous waste of space! :eek:

How do they get out? There's no gates or exits!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

9881_72a4.jpeg

Sorry, what am I looking at here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

A paddlin' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭.red.

I THINK it's a belt loop on a pair of jeans after catching a door handle.

.red. wrote: »
    I THINK it's a belt loop on a pair of jeans after catching a door handle.
    Yes, that's what it looks like, walking through an open door and the the door handle snags the jeans loop, stopping you dead!

Can be very embarrassing in a crowded corridor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am assuming that it only affects people of a very specific height. It happens me alot being just shy of 6 foot.

Belt loops, sleeves, sides and hems of jumpers, pockets, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No, it isn't

duty_calls.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    0_circular-bridge-in-uruguay.jpg

Laguna Garzon Bridge in Uruguay.

They overengineered that! Why a roundabout and not just a bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, it's puzzling. It's not even a roundabout, in that you can't use it to turn around!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,474 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Could be to do with the base? Couldn't build it straight due to the bedrock being too far down for the piling?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

If in doubt, trust to wikipedia -
    It is designed in a circular shape to force drivers to slow down and to allow for pedestrian access along the one-way circular route, including crosswalks that allow pedestrian access to either the inner or outer sidewalks of the circle

Though why pedestrians would want to cross to the middle part I don't really know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Wikipedia says it was to slow drivers down

cdeb wrote: »

Though why pedestrians would want to cross to the middle part I don't really know.

Breakdowns?

• Advertisement

A chicken might be able to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think if it was only to slow traffic down, speed bumps would have been more cost effective.
    My first thought was a backhander, but Uruguay is one of the least corrupt countries in South America

According to the developer,
    ... the bridge will also serve as a tourist attraction, observation deck, fishing spot, and cultural link

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-uruguay-has-a-circular-bridge-2016-1?r=US&IR=T

In the end I think it's simply free advertising for life for the developer, who also happens to be an art collector.
    Best $10 million he ever spent.

Breakdowns?
    Why would cars break down specifically in that exact spot though?

Why would cars break down specifically in that exact spot though?

Why wouldn't they, though?

Same with crashes. You would want people off the bridge. Does the path go under the road at the points?

"Why wouldn't they?" isn't really an answer in fairness. Also, there's a footpath along the edge. In the case of a crash/breakdown, anyone wanting to get off the (very small) bridge could safely walk along it.

The ideas of the fishing spot and tourist attraction make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

"Why wouldn't they?" isn't really an answer in fairness. Also, there's a footpath along the edge. In the case of a crash/breakdown, anyone wanting to get off the (very small) bridge could safely walk along it.

What's a tourist? :P

Touché!

Wikipedia says it was to slow drivers down
    That was my first thought when I saw it, just seems to be a very expensive way to achieve that.

What's a tourist? :P
    They are members of the human subspecies "homo wanderous" that is currently in hibernation while the storms of the nuclear winter of covid rage above in the minds of the political elite. :pac:

• Advertisement

I didn't see that there was a path around the outside, relatively low res image.

Advertisement