Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ah no she's very poor.

Correct, swung in on the tit of G Ryan.

Batthers the mic with her voice, I’m in full agreement Pelvis, full agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

RINO87 wrote: »
    Don't worry, no doubt she will have another fine "documentary" about a petrol station that will be aired over Christmas while most of RTE is on holiday.....

You see the funny thing is RTÉ indulge their staff and “talent” so much it’s actually hard to know if the above is a piss take or not.......on a first glance it looks like an exaggerated post, then you think “well they did make x and y” so it’s entirely plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭RINO87

You see the funny thing is RTÉ indulge their staff and “talent” so much it’s actually hard to know if the above is a piss take or not.......on a first glance it looks like an exaggerated post, then you think “well they did make x and y” so it’s entirely plausible.

She had a radio Doc. about the "people we meet at obama plaza" last year - I heard it aired twice!

Edit - found a press release on it here https://presspack.rte.ie/2019/12/28/services-ahead-presented-by-brenda-donohue/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

She had a radio Doc. about the "people we meet at obama plaza" last year - I heard it aired twice!

Obama Plaza is a grim sh*thole. The clientele is predominantly an obese bog warrior sporting some kind of GAA attire. Bleak.

Part 2 - "the people/junkies we meet on the Liffey Boardwalk"

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Edit - found a press release on it here https://presspack.rte.ie/2019/12/28/services-ahead-presented-by-brenda-donohue/

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

How much of the Ray D Arcy show will be taken up with lauding the Toy Show?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

BPKS wrote: »
    How much of the Ray D Arcy show will be taken up with lauding the Toy Show?

In fairness he normally bigs up the Den; a post mortem as it were where he self-flaggelates himself for it being a success.

I've yet to watch it 3 Episodes in due to it clashing with my 5 Live/Newstalks Footie coverage but I thought it was a no-brainer to bring it back; a positive news story for RTE & Ireland in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Obama Plaza is a grim sh*thole. The clientele is predominantly an obese bog warrior sporting some kind of GAA attire. Bleak.

I'm not a fan of those type of places myself but I found the documentary engaging.

By the way if you ever have to visit Obama Plaza again there is a nice little museum upstairs that is worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

In fairness the Obama Plaza is an overbuilt petrol station, its not exactly gonna draw the elite of people into it. Mainly lads from the area just getting petrol id imagine, with an occasional trucker or cross country driver pulling in to break

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

bmorrissey wrote: »
    In fairness the Obama Plaza is an overbuilt petrol station, its not exactly gonna draw the elite of people into it. Mainly lads from the area just getting petrol id imagine, with an occasional trucker or cross country driver pulling in to break

It’s a life saver if you’re bursting for a hit & miss if you’re driving to Limerick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Many recent reviews from this well known site in a similar vein

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

It’s a life saver if you’re bursting for a hit & miss if you’re driving to Limerick!

Its fantastic, they all are, but for some reason obama plaza is but on a pedestal for some reason as the prime elite petrol station...its the same as every other one in country with the same amount of piss on the floor of the toilets
    Many recent reviews from this well known site in a similar vein

technically the Obama plaza is in Tipperary...no lockdown there, she'd wanna get facts right beforehand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

If the Catholic Church forced women to wear a Hijab, could you imagine what D'Arcy would be saying.

He completely drops his usual cynicism about religion when there is a Muslim in studio - he should treat all religions the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

If the Catholic Church forced women to wear a Hijab, could you imagine what D'Arcy would be saying.

He completely drops his usual cynicism about religion when there is a Muslim in studio - he should treat all religions the same.

I don't/can't listen to D'Arsey...makes my skin crawl...but I walked into a room in the house where he was on (shame on them) and caught a little bit of this. His tone just typifies the utter shallowness of his (supposed) views on religion. Fair enough if he wants to let rip at the Catholic Church and religion in general, but be consistent and be prepared to apply your (supposedly) deeply held logic/arguments/criticisms/principles to more than just one religion. No chance of course...we're talking about probably the most superficial, smug, (pseudo) intellectual wannabe we've ever had on Irish radio/TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Cole wrote: »
    we're talking about probably the most superficial, smug, (pseudo) intellectual wannabe we've ever had on Irish radio/TV.

You obviously don't listen to Radio 1 between 1:45 and 3pm Mon-Fri I take it!

Firstly Islam is MINORITY Religion in Ireland; an EXTREMELY SMALL one in terms of adherents (60,000 of all ages from 0+ Upwards & of ALL different nationalities including Ms. O'Connor & myself who're BOTH Irish; I traded in the Catholic Faith in 2016 after decades of inaction/inactivity & only going through the motions to do the Sacraments, get the money like far too many still do today living vicariously through their kidss....).

Secondly MSOE, Muslim of Eire're a Reg.'d Charity, Charitable Org. & on the go now for a number of years & have been doing the Bag for Life iniatitve for last 2-3 if I'm correct.

Thirdly they're there outside GPO on a Friday night giving out wholesome food/meals/teas & coffees & toiletries, bed stuffs, jocks & socks etc.

Fourthly Ray D'Arcy Show has had other homeless organisations on over the years in both his RTE & Today FM careers; this isn't virtue signaling to any particular community; if it was then he'd ignore the P.McVerry Trust which he hasn't/doesn't & he's had ICHH & others on incl. Sr. Stan, Focus Ireland etc.

As it happens it's "People Interest" pieces like this, like the Samantha Long interview last week about her A Page in my Life book contribution that're where his strengths lie; the Price Watch piece could do with being segmented into 1st or 2nd Hour but be constistent & he could do with playing 2-3, maybe 4 songs instead of just the 1; we're gonna be losing Ronan Collins soon albeit for Una Healy but RTE need to mix it up a little in between Liveline & Drivetime too & play some (funky otherwise) music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

You obviously don't listen to Radio 1 between 1:45 and 3pm Mon-Fri I take it!

Sometimes...depends on the topic. Joe has his faults (don't we all), but D'Arsey is in a league of his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I thought the den coming back and it being good craic might have given Ray a bit of oomph on his radio show...but nope..15 minutes and I am done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Cancer.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Firstly Islam is MINORITY Religion in Ireland; an EXTREMELY SMALL one in terms of adherents (60,000 of all ages from 0+ Upwards & of ALL different nationalities including Ms. O'Connor & myself who're BOTH Irish; I traded in the Catholic Faith in 2016 after decades of inaction/inactivity & only going through the motions to do the Sacraments, get the money like far too many still do today living vicariously through their kidss....).

Secondly MSOE, Muslim of Eire're a Reg.'d Charity, Charitable Org. & on the go now for a number of years & have been doing the Bag for Life iniatitve for last 2-3 if I'm correct.

Thirdly they're there outside GPO on a Friday night giving out wholesome food/meals/teas & coffees & toiletries, bed stuffs, jocks & socks etc.

Fourthly Ray D'Arcy Show has had other homeless organisations on over the years in both his RTE & Today FM careers; this isn't virtue signaling to any particular community; if it was then he'd ignore the P.McVerry Trust which he hasn't/doesn't & he's had ICHH & others on incl. Sr. Stan, Focus Ireland etc.

As it happens it's "People Interest" pieces like this, like the Samantha Long interview last week about her A Page in my Life book contribution that're where his strengths lie; the Price Watch piece could do with being segmented into 1st or 2nd Hour but be constistent & he could do with playing 2-3, maybe 4 songs instead of just the 1; we're gonna be losing Ronan Collins soon albeit for Una Healy but RTE need to mix it up a little in between Liveline & Drivetime too & play some (funky otherwise) music.

I think posters were getting at Ray's vocal disdain for RC church. Mind you, he's careful not to express too much if it when interviewing likes of Sr Stan and others active in faith. I imagine he hasn't much time for relugion of any variety , but would be careful in confining his criticism to monologue utterances against the faith of his upbringing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Ray Darcy is allegedly an "experienced" broadcaster who should at this stage be able to run the quiz after 4 each day where he takes contestants from 2 different counties around the country. But no, today here we are again..."I`ll press this button again and it should happen this time" and "No, that was`nt meant to happen there"
    RTE are paying this guy half a mill in wages and he cannot even learn to synch the intro`s and play the correct jingles. He makes RTE look juvenile and amateur and they need to get rid. I got exasperated with this nonsense today and to listen to the contestants laughing at him. I switched over to BBC R2 and managed to get it on FM. Now there is a proper broadcaster - Steve Wright, with the same background as Darcy and while the content is not particularly relevant to us the snappy production, immaculate timing of the jingles and inserts was classy. No gaps, pauses, it was seamless. Like night and day with our unfortunate current offering

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Ray Darcy is allegedly an "experienced" broadcaster who should at this stage be able to run the quiz after 4 each day where he takes contestants from 2 different counties around the country. But no, today here we are again..."I`ll press this button again and it should happen this time" and "No, that was`nt meant to happen there"
    RTE are paying this guy half a mill in wages and he cannot even learn to synch the intro`s and play the correct jingles. He makes RTE look juvenile and amateur and they need to get rid. I got exasperated with this nonsense today and to listen to the contestants laughing at him. I switched over to BBC R2 and managed to get it on FM. Now there is a proper broadcaster - Steve Wright, with the same background as Darcy and while the content is not particularly relevant to us the snappy production, immaculate timing of the jingles and inserts was classy. No gaps, pauses, it was seamless. Like night and day with our unfortunate current offering

Whatever about taste being subjective there can be NO excuse for the lack of professionalism and ability on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I've said it before about Ray, and I'll probably say it until I'm blue in the face, but college radio volunteers can easily do miles better than him.

Rays final day on the Den (they couldn't really call it D'Arcys Den after Dempseys Den; needed to keep it as a standalone brand); after he left it went down the tubes; Damien McCaul & an Ocean FM Presenter Francis Boylan Jnr. took over before Kathryn McKiernan at the end.

Ray was well suited to this; even the clip alone displays where he's strongest & that's not an insult; I just think the radio show is too limited time-wise too but it has its high points despite the criticism on here in which I've engaged now & again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBPJz_RaIsQ&ab_channel=TVCurator

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Rays final day on the Den (they couldn't really call it D'Arcys Den after Dempseys Den; needed to keep it as a standalone brand); after he left it went down the tubes; Damien McCaul & an Ocean FM Presenter Francis Boylan Jnr. took over before Kathryn McKiernan at the end.

Ray was well suited to this; even the clip alone displays where he's strongest & that's not an insult; I just think the radio show is too limited time-wise too but it has its high points despite the criticism on here in which I've engaged now & again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBPJz_RaIsQ&ab_channel=TVCurator

So basically his talent lies in conversing with puppets - couldn't agree more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I don't understand why people get a bee in their bonnet about this. You must be easily annoyed.

I think it's deliberate most of the time. He's being self-deprecating. It's a way to show he's humble and honest and imperfect and 'one of us' and it helps give him the right to pontificate about more important things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭mountain

kowloonkev wrote: »
    I don't understand why people get a bee in their bonnet about this. You must be easily annoyed.

I think it's deliberate most of the time. He's being self-deprecating. It's a way to show he's humble and honest and imperfect and 'one of us' and it helps give him the right to pontificate about more important things.

Really......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Firstly Islam is MINORITY Religion in Ireland; an EXTREMELY SMALL one in terms of adherents (60,000 of all ages from 0+ Upwards & of ALL different nationalities including Ms. O'Connor & myself who're BOTH Irish;

All good points, and a valid point about them being in for reasons of their charity work and maybe issues of religion should not have been addressed (although there did seem to be particular emphasis on the fact that they were Muslims).

My point is that when any non-Catholic religious representative is in studio, Ray puts his arms around them and throws softball questions. If there is a Catholic in studio then it's battle stations. And I don't think whether the religion is minority or majority should affect how they are treated by a radio presenter. It's popular to bash the Catholic Church in the Irish media, whereas asking any questions of the compatibility of other religions with Irish society is instantly called "racism" so as to kill any real discussion. Ray would not be the only radio presenter who's opinions are dictated by how those opinions play on social media.

Like I said, it should be a fair playing field for all, not siding with the popular side. And with RTE this is clearly not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Ha ha .good one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

you have to be very good at something first to do it badly to make it sound funny

Like Les Dawson playing the piano

Advertisement