Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Tuned in early for Drivetime. What am I listening to? Doing arts and crafts on the radio. Which producer is going to get the blame for that.

Bryan Dobson telling Ray about the great amount of time and preparation you have to make to have the facts and numbers in your head ready to recall them in an interview. The irony is that the higher earners than Bryan in RTÉ wouldn't know much about preparation.

Used to remember Bryan's friendly little terrier, Rusty, coming into the library. I was supposed to forbid his entertainment but having a soft spot for dogs I used my to notice him, but if you gave Rusty the eye he would come wagging up to you, and you hoped the boss would remain busy in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Bryan Dobson telling Ray about the great amount of time and preparation you have to make to have the facts and numbers in your head ready to recall them in an interview. The irony is that the higher earners than Bryan in RTÉ wouldn't know much about preparation.

Used to remember Bryan's friendly little terrier, Rusty, coming into the library. I was supposed to forbid his entertainment but having a soft spot for dogs I used my to notice him, but if you gave Rusty the eye he would come wagging up to you, and you hoped the boss would remain busy in the office.

So they just turn up?

I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Darcy surprised that CNN presenters can use buttons ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

I'll admit, i did enjoy the den. Was great seeing Darcy getting roasted by the 3 lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Mary McAleese to appear on today's show.

Why not, it's just about the only show she hasn't appeared on in her book sales push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

imme wrote: »
    Mary McAleese to appear on today's show. Why not, it's just about the only show she hasn't appeared on in her book sales push.

Softball, fawning questions. You think he could have asked one testing question? Ask her about the whole fiasco about when she compared protestants to Nazis maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Softball, fawning questions. You think he could have asked one testing question? Ask her about the whole fiasco about when she compared protestants to Nazis maybe.

Maybe there was never a chance of RD asking hard questions in an interview like that.

Anyway that controversy was put to bed when she apologised 15 years ago.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mcaleese-is-forced-to-apologise-for-nazi-slur-26006424.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RTE and opacity...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

D'Arcy's on a day off again...... Brenda O'Donohue (sp?) is in the chair instead; guessing they work down a list of subs & KT wasnt' available?

If it was Ryan Tubridy who was off this week I'd 100% understand; the Late Late Toy Show is a behemoth & I'd have no issue with him being off all this week or at the very least Thursday & Friday.

But D'Arcy? Tired from the Den the night before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    D'Arcy's on a day off again...... Brenda O'Donohue (sp?) is in the chair instead; guessing they work down a list of subs & KT wasnt' available?

If it was Ryan Tubridy who was off this week I'd 100% understand; the Late Late Toy Show is a behemoth & I'd have no issue with him being off all this week or at the very least Thursday & Friday.

The man is entitled to a day or days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

It’s Brenda Donohue... not O’Donohue.

Jaysus.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

These lads getting all giddy about the vaccine being a dead cert...but what if FDA dont approve it? can easily get rejected

He's craving an €80 burger ;). 35k would to overpaid for this tripe

Kiloage ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Ray D'Arcy playing acdc, 2020 is throwing all sorts of curveballs at us

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Did anyone hear the contestant in the quiz on Ryan Tubridy`s program earlier today where the guy from Waterford said he was from Dunmurray near Dunmore East. Tubridy asked him does much happen in Dunmurray and he says " Well Ray Darcy has a fine place down here and we see him around a bit" Can`t imagine Darcy was pleased with that..............

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Did anyone hear the contestant in the quiz on Ryan Tubridy`s program earlier today where the guy from Waterford said he was from Dunmurray near Dunmore East. Tubridy asked him does much happen in Dunmurray and he says " Well Ray Darcy has a fine place down here and we see him around a bit" Can`t imagine Darcy was pleased with that..............

You have to do something with €500k a year coming in

Brenda in again today; 2 out of 3 Days.

Not sure if she's a direct hire/employee or, like D'Arcy, a contractor but to be honest with herself or KT it's much of a muchness when replacing Ray; it'd surely be cheaper to ditch him & give one or other of them the gig f-t?

Brendas only commitment was the Championship with Marty so she's been twiddling her thumbs all Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Not sure if she's a direct hire/employee or, like D'Arcy, a contractor but to be honest with herself or KT it's much of a muchness when replacing Ray; it'd surely be cheaper to ditch him & give one or other of them the gig f-t?

Brendas only commitment was the Championship with Marty so she's been twiddling her thumbs all Summer.
    Must be a handy number for Brenda, odd day filling in here and there, Marty Squad in the summer which didn’t happen this year, sucking the hind tit at the taxpayer’s expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭thesandeman

In fairness, Ray has mentioned he has a place down there a few times. He didn't say how fine it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Suspicions of google in this quiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Brian so obviously googling there on the quizz ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I dont mind RTE having Brenda covering, she is an RTE Employee.
    K Thomas on the other hand is a contractor so would cost the organisation more (and is un-listenable and insufferable).
    RTE should only use RTE Employees to cover shows for presenters out sick or on holidays. It makes financial sense for cash strapped RTE.

K Thomas on the other hand is a contractor so would cost the organisation more (and is un-listenable and insufferable).
    RTE should only use RTE Employees to cover shows for presenters out sick or on holidays. It makes financial sense for cash strapped RTE.

Fair point; I'd gladly have Brenda presenting the Ray D'Arcy Show long term to be honest; RTE have shuffled her around Montrose from Gerry Ryan Show which she, and Evelyn O'Rourke (another they only seem to use sparingly; An Post Book Awards is a staple but what else do they use her for?) were synonymous for/with, the Marty Squad and Mooney (exact same slot as D'Arcy) which she also on occasion stood in for (Mooney is out of favour it seems; does he do any nature programmes on the weekend? All I know him for lately is Dawn Chorus) not to mention the dating show she did (bit cliched for her in light of her association with the G.Ryan Show....all whacky & in yer face stuff such that she's hard to pin down whereas if she was given the D'Arcy slot she'd make it her own & for cheaper too; RTE need to realise that's the bit in between Liveline & Drivetime & it's a filler but has, on occasion, got potential to be much more.

She did a piece on radio about social change; it's the type of thing she could be doing in the 3 O'Clock to 4:30pm slot no problem.

She also does Countrywide on a Saturday morning with Damien O'Reilly & is more than capable there.

Mon RTE, ditch D'Arcy & let Brenda finally get the recognition she deserves.

On another note, D'Arcy congratulated a winner from An Post Book Awards today; can't remember who or the category but it struck me how he made no mention of A Day in the Life or whatever book it's called; I appreciate it was nominated & didn't win but it's his baby & it's for charity & those who contributed, whether included or not deserve more than him ignoring it; he could've at least commented upon it to keep it current?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Ah no she's very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I've heard a rumour - though I can't find any mention of it online or in the media - that K Thomas had a baby in recent years. I think it's like in the book (and latterly movie) "Children of Men" and they're all keeping it quiet as the child is the first child born in years on the planet.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

You have to do something with €500k a year coming in

I think it was one of the Tribunals that paid for that holiday pad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Tubridy asked him does much happen in Dunmurray and he says " Well Ray Darcy has a fine place down here and we see him around a bit" Can`t imagine Darcy was pleased with that..............

And you remember him asking Majella O'Donnell on the show if it was appropriate for her to have the house done up on TV (Dermot Bannon's show) when there were so many people homeless! All the time he had a trophy house himself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭RINO87

amlinopta wrote: »
    Must be a handy number for Brenda, odd day filling in here and there, Marty Squad in the summer which didn’t happen this year, sucking the hind tit at the taxpayer’s expense.

Don't worry, no doubt she will have another fine "documentary" about a petrol station that will be aired over Christmas while most of RTE is on holiday.....

Advertisement