Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Ray really ramping up the misery on the run up to Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Any chance of even ONE challenging question here. Nothing about the fact that they have already told people who have allergies not to take the vaccine because there were two people who had serious reactions yesterday - should those people take the vaccine anyway just to please Ray?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

This has to be one of the worst radio interviews I've ever heard. Who's fault Ray or guest, I'm not sure but its painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Comedy Gold quiz moment on now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Brucies Bonus yesterday (Wednesday) when he played Bob Dylans "Must Be Santa"; had never heard if before but now it's on my listening list.

• Advertisement

Conor Pope seems to be saying that Ryan Tubridy & compatriots spawned the fashion of the Christmas jumper. A caller mentioned Gaybo was wearing them a long time ago, but Conor retorted that it was all Fair Isle patterns. However he also wore the same style of Christmas jumper which is again popular now. Interesting wiki article:
    https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Christmas_jumper

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

jordata wrote: »
    This has to be one of the worst radio interviews I've ever heard. Who's fault Ray or guest, I'm not sure but its painful.

You surely weren’t surprised, were you?

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Ray Darcy is allegedly an "experienced" broadcaster who should at this stage be able to run the quiz after 4 each day where he takes contestants from 2 different counties around the country. But no, today here we are again..."I`ll press this button again and it should happen this time" and "No, that was`nt meant to happen there"
    RTE are paying this guy half a mill in wages and he cannot even learn to synch the intro`s and play the correct jingles. He makes RTE look juvenile and amateur and they need to get rid. I got exasperated with this nonsense today and to listen to the contestants laughing at him. I switched over to BBC R2 and managed to get it on FM. Now there is a proper broadcaster - Steve Wright, with the same background as Darcy and while the content is not particularly relevant to us the snappy production, immaculate timing of the jingles and inserts was classy. No gaps, pauses, it was seamless. Like night and day with our unfortunate current offering

Is he getting the same wedge as D’Arcy? Proportionately to listener numbers.

Another page from A Page from my Life the book that's from his show today post Conor Pope Pricewatch segment & post ads too..

What did he do? Instead of letting it lie to post Nuacht he let it out & run over; think Nuacht didn't air to 4:01 or 402? Either way it was late. Again.

He doesn't give af about the Irish Language listeners he might still have.

Is he getting the same wedge as D’Arcy? Proportionately to listener numbers.

Looks like Steve Wright is paid between £475k and £480k. And has an audience of 8.1m. Oh, and the show lasts 3 hours. (2019 stats)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Looks like Steve Wright is paid between £475k and £480k. And has an audience of 8.1m. Oh, and the show lasts 3 hours. (2019 stats)

Proof yet again that we are charged International Superstar rates of pay/fees in return for Hospital Radio standard output.

It’s a scandal.

Proof yet again that we are charged International Superstar rates of pay/fees in return for Hospital Radio standard output.

It’s a scandal.

That’s a little insulting to Hospital Radio in D’arcys case.

Lad is a square peg in a round hole, but going on past experience RTE will not notice that.

Think John Murray, took the five years for them to cop that light entertainment wasn’t John’s fortè.

Not his fault, just wasn’t his type of gig on a five days a week slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

Think John Murray, took the five years for them to cop that light entertainment wasn’t John’s fortè.

Not his fault, just wasn’t his type of gig on a five days a week slot.

I liked John Murray - he was a good presenter of The Business and even better on his own show

ATC110 wrote: »
    I liked John Murray - he was a good presenter of The Business and even better on his own show

We will have to disagree on that , my friend.

Nothing personal, but it’s Xmas.....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This year can't get any worse...coming up on Ray Darcy....Alison Spittle...

I spoke too soon....

First show of the New Year & I make it he's 3 minutes late for Nuacht.

Pricewatch began; it nearly over-ran.....an ad break so he held over the last bit of it which then meant Nuacht was late.

Could he not've goten Conor Pope in after Nuacht instead or timed it better beforehand?

At this stage if I was an Irish language listener I'd rather Nuacht was pulled altogether; it's a token gesture by RTE & D'Arcy is insulting it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That was gas that Conor Pope was in the middle of explaining what happens with VAT and parcels after Brexit and Ray just goes 'sorry Conor, I have to stop you there to play an ad, when we come back you'll have two minutes then' :rolleyes:

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    First show of the New Year & I make it he's 3 minutes late for Nuacht.

Pricewatch began; it nearly over-ran.....an ad break so he held over the last bit of it which then meant Nuacht was late.

Could he not've goten Conor Pope in after Nuacht instead or timed it better beforehand?

At this stage if I was an Irish language listener I'd rather Nuacht was pulled altogether; it's a token gesture by RTE & D'Arcy is insulting it further.

Do the producers not prompt him sufficiently by ear & screen?
    Eg. Nuacht 5 mins, Nuacht 3 mins, Nyacht 2 mins, Nuacht 1 min, Nuacht 30 seconds.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Muahahaha wrote: »
    That was gas that Conor Pope was in the middle of explaining what happens with VAT and parcels after Brexit and Ray just goes 'sorry Conor, I have to stop you there to play an ad, when we come back you'll have two minutes then' :rolleyes:

100%. Was looking forward to that piece, every week it's the same - Conor Pope gets maybe 5 mins, often interrupted, yet he was bolloxing on about soup for about half an hour, and manages to be texting his missus (and telling us about it) while live on air!!!

Watched a documentary on Larry Gogan yesterday on RTÉ. What a class act he was, an absolute master in the art of radio broadcasting. If Ray had 10% of his skill, he'd be a whole lot better than he is. I don't wish to be mean, but Ray is a really well paid professional but he is such a poor presenter at times. I personally don't think radio is his thing, he seemed to be much better on Zig and Zag.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Do the producers not prompt him sufficiently by ear & screen?
    Eg. Nuacht 5 mins, Nuacht 3 mins, Nyacht 2 mins, Nuacht 1 min, Nuacht 30 seconds.

SURELY he'd have a running order in front of him, as to what's on the show for the day.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    SURELY he'd have a running order in front of him, as to what's on the show for the day.

I think part of the problem is that the time zone Ray is in, is “Haile Selassie Standard Breakfast Time”

Brenda O'Donoghue had at least 2 Pieces on last week between 3 & 3;30pm after the Legacies Part 1 & 2 with Joe Duffy from 2pm; Lockdown Stories, very personable, the kind of thing she's very good at but so is/was D'Arcy esp. on Today FM when he had more time to work with so could actually do the fun & serious which I thought worked very well even if he did go all, maybe too, meterosexual in the mid 00s.

They then simulcasted Rte Gold; Will Leahy was on Day 1 & Aidan Leonard on 2nd Day and they went from 3:30pm to 5 O'Clock.

It worked; I was walking round listening to both thinking RTE Radio 1 could ditch D'Arcy for this combination; the only sticking point is there was no Nuacht & Drivetime will want to retain their 4:30pm slot.

But it was bloody refreshing; Rte Gold is like Larry Gogans Golden Hour for those of us who grew up listening to him; others could add it's a place for M.O.R. D.J.s like Leonard, Rick O'Shea & Will Leahy to go without taking them off the payroll......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I've seen the timing of Nuacht within the RDS mentioned here a few times.

I looked up the RTE Radio 1 schedule and a couple of independent listings and they don't mention Nuacht at all.

Is it possible that it is not set in stone that it should be at 16.00 hours precisely?

Could it be that it is considered as a slot that is allowed to vary in timing to suit the overall timing of the RDS?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,037 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm no fan of D'arcy, but at least he was able to come back to work today.

From what I can see, all the other 'big names' are still on their holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

NIMAN wrote: »

He has had plenty of "holidays" this year

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

elperello wrote: »
    I've seen the timing of Nuacht within the RDS mentioned here a few times.

I looked up the RTE Radio 1 schedule and a couple of independent listings and they don't mention Nuacht at all.

Is it possible that it is not set in stone that it should be at 16.00 hours precisely?

Could it be that it is considered as a slot that is allowed to vary in timing to suit the overall timing of the RDS?

But every other programme manages to get the news on the hour - so why are you making excuses for D'Arcy

He is incompetent in the role period

NIMAN wrote: »

Don’t worry D’Arcy will disappear in a few weeks time on a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭elperello

fritzelly wrote: »
    But every other programme manages to get the news on the hour - so why are you making excuses for D'Arcy

He is incompetent in the role period

I agree with you that scheduled news bulletins should start on time but even the CB show runs over occasionally and that is a news driven programme.

Some other shows also run over when they are in the middle of an interview or some urgent report.

I'm not so much making excuses as trying to discuss the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Did Ray basically just tell us he normally sleeps in the nude?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

"The text said he was a doctor" ...... i.e. once again it's not my fault, and neither was the Jack Nicholson impressionist

Advertisement