Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Still rain/sleet mix here in Dublin 16....a tad more sleet than earlier. 1.4c DP 0.4c atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

It’s 8pm with temps dropping and still lots of precipitation about, put the toys back in the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Yeah similar here in Firhouse Dublin 24
    1.3c and DP is 0.4c

Lashing schleet ( to quote our esteemed Sryanbuen) so I'm still hopeful of a light dusting, nothing major......

Only problem is, I've to be up at 6am so lamp post watching is severely curtailed......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Nothing sticking when I got home about 4.30ish - I'd guess the snowline was 275m asl at that stage. We're at 5cm now, at around 230m asl near roundwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I think last Winter ending on a cliffhanger with the Beast from the East and then Emma also resulted in expectations being too high for some - that's what I was worried about when making the forecast back in the Autumn.

People's expectations for 2017/18 were low because 2016/17 delivered very little in terms of cold and snow. 2017/18 statistically was overall very unremarkable (and was dominated by cold zonality for the most part) but people will remember it for a good few years to come.

What made the period 2008/09 to 2010/11 so epic to many (without realising) was that the cold weather got more and more severe each time then the disappointment that was 2011/12 came. Reading previous threads, people had similar reactions in 2011/12 to 2018/19.

That's an excellent observation, people's expectations seemed to increase the year after a cold winter. There has been speculation about the "big one", this year certainly wasn't it! Let's hope it's next year!!

D

• Advertisement

Nothing from the schools in Cork now and it actually looks like driving conditions in the morning could be deadly!

Yep! My parents and all their collegues in work are annoyed over this, they would rather the schools did that tomorrow when there is a risk of it in weather forecasts etc rather then last night when it clearly said rain and thaw! They won't now because nothing was wrong this morning.

I can see from the comments on Cork Safety Alerts already that many will ignore any ice warnings for the morning, because of the schools opening late today for no reason. Really not looking forward to it.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I had very little faith in this cold spell from day 1. The Atlantic is always a dissapointment, it fails time and time again when it comes to frontal snow, unless there is exceptional circumstances.

I've witnessed events like this many times during the 80s and 90s. It may start off cold, frosty, sub zero temperatures and dew points, but as soon as the front comes near Ireland the dew points rise above 0 very quickly and usually it's nothing more than cold rain or sleet.

We don't have any land to our west, north or south to weaken the effects of the mild atlantic.

Correct , you really have to be the island behind an island to get frontal snow from the Atlantic, that is why Britain does so we'll out of westerly snow.

We get the rain, then they get the snow, aided by Irish Sea streamers moving east, Liverpool yesterday was a perfect example of that!!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

derekon wrote: »
    That's an excellent observation, people's expectations seemed to increase the year after a cold winter. There has been speculation about the "big one", this year certainly wasn't it! Let's hope it's next year!!

D

Thanks, I feel it's going to be the same with Summer 2019 unless August redeems itself as a decent Summer month for a change.

Yes, Winter 2019-20 has been speculated as possibly the "big one" by several people including myself. Mine is merely related to gut feeling and typical Winter teleconnections like the QBO.

More flakes and shleet (making Gerry proud) in Dublin 13.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Thanks, I feel it's going to be the same with Summer 2019 unless August redeems itself as a decent Summer month for a change.

Yes, Winter 2019-20 has been speculated as possibly the "big one" by several people including myself. Mine is merely related to gut feeling and typical Winter teleconnections like the QBO.

More flakes and shleet (making Gerry proud) in Dublin 13.

Well how exciting would it be if next winter is the big one? This place would go into meltdown!!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

About 290M ASL with the lights twinkling over Dublin near Slieve Thoul at 5pm or so this evening.
    471860.jpg

Driving back down through Ballinascorney at about 7pm
    471859.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

derekon wrote: »
    Correct , you really have to be the island behind an island to get frontal snow from the Atlantic, that is why Britain does so we'll out of westerly snow.

We get the rain, then they get the snow, aided by Irish Sea streamers moving east, Liverpool yesterday was a perfect example of that!!

D

Brexit and now our snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Accuweather saying Cork City dewpoints are currently 2 degrees but eh, I have no other way of checking them really.

Wunderground says 1 degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Brexit and now our snow.

Well the West did well from the Atlantic front with several centimetersof snow as did parts of Cork so I don't get your point about the East fairing poorly from the Atlantic front???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Well the West did well from the Atlantic front with several centimetersof snow as did parts of Cork so I don't get your point about the East fairing poorly from the Atlantic front???

I don’t get your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Dewpoint gone negative at -0.2c and air temp 2.2 here near Arklow
    A lot of splodgy stuff falling in the rain here,closest it's been to snow today
    Full snow just 3 kms further inland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Sleet in portlaoise

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cowana

220m Glencree valley , Co wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I don't know how low the temps are meant to get in cork, but the roads and footpaths are fairly wet around where I live and if it freezes then the northside could bid for the Down hill slalom in the Winter Olympics.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Heavy sleety/rain in Waterford City. Temp 2.2c DP 0.7c so close to the change. 24.1mm of rain today

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Accuweather

Just stop. Retreat. Go elsewhere. Jim's forecasting stone. Anything other than Accuweather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Light to moderate snowfall here d17

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

Askamore Co. Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Light to moderate snowfall here d17

Agreed, its grainy but the rain has gone out of it here in Clonshaugh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

light rain starting here again, radar is telling lies. Haven't seen a flake of snow since 2pm.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Agreed, its grainy but the rain has gone out of it here in Clonshaugh

In clounshaugh myself

• Registered Users Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    In clounshaugh myself

Im only here for an evening! D15 normally

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

My eyes are firmly on the lamp post right now. The flakes and shleet are still ongoing.

Soon as I say that, they’ve died down.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

Snow at dublin airport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Re Cork freezing tonight I dont see it. It's expected to stay cloudy with ppn on and off through the night. You need clear skies for ice folks!! Rural areas yes.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Im only here for an evening! D15 normally

Heavy enough, more like sleet atm

Advertisement