Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

Don’t think we’ll see any type of snow sticking as it’s so wet after the days rain TBH, unless you’re seriously high up in the mountains...,

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Turning to snow here near Dublin airport but still the very wet variety.

Nothing whatsoever in swords coming from the sky. It's just been a cold, sh**e, miserable day so far. Absolutely rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Turning to snow here near Dublin airport but still the very wet variety.

Can confirm, some very wet flakes in Dublin 13. Nothing much to get excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

We have one month of the meteorological winter left so we may get a decent East wind yet....March could even surprise us like last year....

If you want snowy winters, great food and lovely Summers, then Briancon in France is the place to go.
    Munich in Southern Germany usually has hard winters and great Summers also.....

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

Expected a lot more today here in South Laois, GFS was showing snow but it's just been rain all day now just turned to sleet. Think this winter is a complete write off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Can confirm, some very wet flakes in Dublin 13. Nothing much to get excited about.

Can confirm it’s pissing out here. Very excited

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭esposito

ffarrell7 wrote: »

If you want snowy winters, great food and lovely Summers, then Briancon in France is the place to go.
    Munich in Southern Germany usually has hard winters and great Summers also.....

In all fairness most of continental Europe has decent snowy winters and lovely warm summers.
    Scandinavia as well (Stockholm for example, snowy/very cold in winter, sunny and quite warm in summer) I think I might emigrate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Already plenty of black ice in the Cork Area according to Cork Safety Alerts.

https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1091055165032071169

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Today perfectly sumed up this winter. Total and utter rubbish. Next....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Gonna be glassy roads and paths tomorrow morning I'm in a mobility boot and have to go to hospital for an assessment at 9am, praying for this to not be as bad as it seems I'm gonna have to get a bus by 7:30 oh joy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Light rain with some mixing of ice pellets and a a stiff E breeze F4/5. Temp 1C

Clonshaugh D17

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

What a waste of my last week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Billcarson wrote: »

Over the top sensationalism by certain news outlets led to expectations being way too high!!!

D

Gritting in Cork City starting at 20:00, just for the cork people here. Will it actually work this time though unlike wednesday..

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

davidsr20 wrote: »
    What a waste of my last week :(

You signed the contract... Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Southern region of the band still looks like it has some oomph in it, Wexford/Wicklow and inland of here prime area - looks like it's developing further over the Irish sea too. Further North its hard to tell what it's doing with the blotchy radar - looking further out to sea hoping for some intensification.

Again, may not fall as snow. But if there's no precip later it definitely cant snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Gritting in Cork City starting at 8:00, just for the cork people here. Will it actually work this time though unlike wednesday..

Lashing rain here near Mallow at the moment. Definitely have to be careful in the morning as conditions can change in short distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Nothing here on the kildare / Laois border, temp just dropped below 2c no rain or anything just a damp cold night..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭hawkwing

hawkwing wrote: »
    1.5c SE Tipp,150m asl,light drizzle
    Just turned to proper heavyish snow now after a day of rain/sleet,1.2c and falling...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭esposito

Billcarson wrote: »

Stating the obvious but we need a potent easterly to get some decent cold and snow here in the east. I wouldn’t rule it out either. Imagine if it happened at the end of Feb just like last year. Stranger things have happened...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

derekon wrote: »
    Over the top sensationalism by certain news outlets led to expectations being way too high!!!

D

I think last Winter ending on a cliffhanger with the Beast from the East and then Emma also resulted in expectations being too high for some - that's what I was worried about when making the forecast back in the Autumn.

People's expectations for 2017/18 were low because 2016/17 delivered very little in terms of cold and snow. 2017/18 statistically was overall very unremarkable (and was dominated by cold zonality for the most part) but people will remember it for a good few years to come.

What made the period 2008/09 to 2010/11 so epic to many (without realising) was that the cold weather got more and more severe each time then the disappointment that was 2011/12 came. Reading previous threads, people had similar reactions in 2011/12 to 2018/19.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

esposito wrote: »
    In all fairness most of continental Europe has decent snowy winters and lovely warm summers.
    Scandinavia as well (Stockholm for example, snowy/very cold in winter, sunny and quite warm in summer) I think I might emigrate!

I can confirm,that our climate in Slovakia is very pleasant indeed. Despite a moderate winter overall in Europe, I have persistent snow cover since 15/12/18 and only live at 400m.asl and have huge mountains shadowing my town from all directions expect south which prevent us to get a real dumping of snow. Areas 50km north can have 60cm of level snow while we have 8cm,quite frustrating. The advantage is,that if warm westerlys arrive my valley stays conserved in cold air, it is truly remarkable,as much higher elevations facing wind get thaw,also our mean wind is barely 2 m/s. Very good if you like hot weather in summer and cold frosty mornings. We get about 12 days of thunderstorms in July on average and mean temperature 21C. Our mean temperature in January is between -2C to -3C and approx. 8 days of snowfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

^ thisidythis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Boom

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Just shows how unreliable that radar is for low-level snow. Not one station in that pink area has been reporting snow. Not even Mullingar or Ballyhaise, both around 100 m. All reporting rain. Only Knock reporting snow.

No users in the area reporting anything either. Some sleety wet stuff but nothing proper. It's a dead duck.

Honestly Emma gave nothing to us in Cork. All I remember from Emma is staying up till 1:30am lamp post watching, only to be watching these fine glitter like particles fall out of the sky with no actual snow. I think it went further east then was forecast. We still had a truck ton of snow from the Irish Sea streamers though which was nice. But not really expecting much, we didn't get much snow in 2010 either, just very cold weather. Feb 2018 was a very rare thing for us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I had very little faith in this cold spell from day 1. The Atlantic is always a dissapointment, it fails time and time again when it comes to frontal snow, unless there is exceptional circumstances.

I've witnessed events like this many times during the 80s and 90s. It may start off cold, frosty, sub zero temperatures and dew points, but as soon as the front comes near Ireland the dew points rise above 0 very quickly and usually it's nothing more than cold rain or sleet.

We don't have any land to our west, north or south to weaken the effects of the mild atlantic.

Nothing from the schools in Cork now and it actually looks like driving conditions in the morning could be deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Even Devon/Cornwall in South West England is getting some snow - extremely rare - even milder than South Kerry........it may only last a few hours but it us still snowing there

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Finally snowing heavily in Sandyford Dublin but far far too wet for anything stick. Temp dropped quickly this evening but seems to have stuck at 1.5

• Advertisement

Nothing from the schools in Cork now and it actually looks like driving conditions in the morning could be deadly!

Yep! My parents and all their collegues in work are annoyed over this, they would rather the schools did that tomorrow when there is a risk of it in weather forecasts etc rather then last night when it clearly said rain and thaw! They won't now because nothing was wrong this morning.

Advertisement