Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did Gemma O Doherty go batshyt crazy?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

She helped the poorest of the poor, people that the rest of the world couldn't give a fig about. Criticise her all you want, but bear in mind there wasn't people queuing up to help before she arrived on the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

She helped the poorest of the poor, people that the rest of the world couldn't give a fig about. Criticise her all you want, but bear in mind there wasn't people queuing up to help before she arrived on the scene.

Mother Theresa? What?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Birneybau wrote: »
    I recall that she believed (or let on) that the poorest of the poor were closer to God and she played on that.

"Christopher Hitchens described Mother Teresa's organisation as a cult that promoted suffering and did not help those in need. He said that Mother Teresa's own words on poverty proved that her intention was not to help people, quoting her words at a 1981 press conference in which she was asked: "Do you teach the poor to endure their lot?" She replied: "I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people."

I have a hard time imagining how dumb someone would have to be to take that one quote, taken out of context, out of 90+ years of doing good so literally and to use it to suggest that this woman was actually some horrible, bloodthirsty psychopath.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I recall that she believed (or let on) that the poorest of the poor were closer to God and she played on that.

"Christopher Hitchens described Mother Teresa's organisation as a cult that promoted suffering and did not help those in need. He said that Mother Teresa's own words on poverty proved that her intention was not to help people, quoting her words at a 1981 press conference in which she was asked: "Do you teach the poor to endure their lot?" She replied: "I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people."

I have a hard time imagining how dumb someone would have to be to take that one quote, taken out of context, out of 90+ years of doing good so literally and to use it to suggest that this woman was actually some horrible, bloodthirsty psychopath.

Hmm...it's one quote. There was a massive post above mine that you so conveniently ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Jimmy Saville raised millions for the poorest of the poor, people that the rest of the world couldn't give a fig about. Criticise him all you want, but bear in mind there wasn't people queuing up to help before he arrived on the scene.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

It’s brilliant- most religions use it. Stay poor to revive god- give all your money to... eh, me! Bling!!! Imagine the thread count on her tea towels!

debok wrote: »

Jimmy Saville raised millions for the poorest of the poor, people that the rest of the world couldn't give a fig about. Criticise him all you want, but bear in mind there wasn't people queuing up to help before he arrived on the scene.

All those sick kiddies, he really put something back

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I don't understand why people can't be against fluoride being added to drinking water on ethical grounds.

The science is no way near complete enough that anyone can say with absolute certainty of whether it is a good or bad thing to do.
    Mainly because there is nothing behind it only myths and spook stories with no basis in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

God the naivety of those who can't see any flaws in Gemma.

But anyway, I think tbh saying Mother Theresa was an evil bitch is no more helpful than saying she was a saint. A lot of nuance to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Hmm...it's one quote. There was a massive post above mine that you so conveniently ignored.

Yes but that one quote is what we always hear when talking negatively about her. It's continually rolled out as a significant part of their "evidence". You'd think in 87 years they would find something worse than that, you'd expect something like: "I'm sick of all these poor, they just keep breeding" or "I'm relieved when some of them die" or saying doubts about her belief in god, something like that.

One thing the internet has shown in its relatively short lifespan is that a lot of people love to hate and develop hater theories - celebrities, politicians, major figures - it's a big sport to some people. The bigger and cleaner they appear initially, the better. It's also very easy to develop "hate" theories about someone that can start to sound believable. Any evidence against what they think is handwaved away as being for some silly reason such as ego-stroking or "to make it look to other people as if they were doing good", while they'll jump on any theory showing the opposite. It's all a big game to some people.

Mother Theresa was a particularly good target because she represents a pillar of the Catholic Church and they wanted to become known as the person who took her down. To take down the (literally to some extent) mother of all good-doers, the greatest "exposed" of all time. It was also cool among people to attack the church, some by people who had legitimate grievances and some who just took it up as a hobby.

The idea that the little old lady who devoted her entire life to helping the poor, putting herself in all kinds of harmful situations, is actually some kind of selfish, evil, mastermind? Perhaps there were some things you can have an opinion that she should have done differently. You can be critical about Mother Theresa without acting like she was doing things that were stupid and callous based on a few sound bites you just read of someone else, the reality is a lot more blurred.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Says a lot about the world we live in, and the power of propaganda, that some people will look down their nose at a person who devoted their life in the service of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I had never heard of Gemma until a few weeks ago.

Numbers listening and reading to alternative social media and news media are growing.

The mainstream media bias and abuse of people with differing viewpoints, particularly since the Trump election, creates a vacuum in which O'Doherty and Waters can create the illusion of a glamorous underground resistance which is dangerously addictive and lures vulnerable people in.

Comments such as "tin foil hat", "fruitcake" etc are counterproductive in that immediately you wonder what arguments are being made that are so outrageous and want to find out.

mzungu wrote: »
    Mainly because there is nothing behind it only myths and spook stories with no basis in reality.

Is there any real long term benefit to adding it ?Americans laugh at our teeth anyway?!!Surely every country would add if it was doing somethin. Knowing Ireland there s probably few lads making a few quid off it so it can't be stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

What is it with the likes of Gemma O'Doherty and her followers all being obsessed with conspiracy theories?

They start off fairly normal, maybe a conspiracy about moon landings or area 51. Suddenly a switch goes off in their head and they're ranting about some of the most insane topics. They all end up in the same place, sharing the same videos, using the same language, using words that are not even in an Irish persons vernacular.

It's a network that spreads beyond Ireland. A network of nutters. They have fully convinced themselves that they're not the crazy ones, it's everyone else that's crazy, or brainwashed. You've already seen it in this thread, people posting youtube videos of well known nutters. Here is a tweet by Gemma only 24 hours ago.

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1088735225746780161

Is this really someone who's fully there? "The Fourth Reich using Finance instead of Bombs to destroy the European and British way of life!"

Is that something you would ever hear an Irish person saying?

Watching Irish people becoming radicalised by foreign influences is certainly entertaining. It's clear that a certain type of person is more susceptible to this type of propaganda. Nobody appears too bothered about it though. Carry on nutters, carry on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 sophiexyz

dav3 wrote: »
    What is it with the likes of Gemma O'Doherty and her followers all being obsessed with conspiracy theories?

In the last few years many conspiracy theories have become conspiracy facts, which one will turn out to be true next? We won't know if we wont ask questions and just accept the official story

They start off fairly normal, maybe a conspiracy about moon landings or area 51. Suddenly a switch goes off in their head and they're ranting about some of the most insane topics. They all end up in the same place, sharing the same videos, using the same language, using words that are not even in an Irish persons vernacular.

It's a network that spreads beyond Ireland. A network of nutters. They have fully convinced themselves that they're not the crazy ones, it's everyone else that's crazy, or brainwashed. You've already seen it in this thread, people posting youtube videos of well known nutters. Here is a tweet by Gemma only 24 hours ago.

Is this really someone who's fully there? "The Fourth Reich using Finance instead of Bombs to destroy the European and British way of life!"

Watching Irish people becoming radicalised by foreign influences is certainly entertaining. It's clear that a certain type of person is more susceptible to this type of propaganda. Nobody appears too bothered about it though. Carry on nutters, carry on.

Yeh we should keep to our own never mind that foreign influence. What have we ever done to harm ourselves. No cover ups or conspiracys ever happened here!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

You're playing into their hands with posts like this.

By using the term "nutters" etc and banging on at length about them, and simultaneously reposting their "opinions" while calling them crazy, over time you look like the crazy and paranoid one with something to hide and they can play the victim.

Better off ignoring them completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

sophiexyz wrote: »
    In the last few years many conspiracy theories have become conspiracy facts, which one will turn out to be true next? We won't know if we wont ask questions and just accept the official story

Which conspiracy theories have become facts?

Take a minute to look at things from her perspective, it appears the EU want the same for Ireland as Sweden regards immigration, and we all know thats not working out very well, its a disaster, so she has some good points but she is not putting them out in a polished manner.

Take a minute to look at things from her perspective, it appears the EU want the same for Ireland as Sweden regards immigration, and we all know thats not working out very well, its a disaster, so she has some good points but she is not putting them out in a polished manner.

Have you been to Sweden?

• Advertisement

Which conspiracy theories have become facts?
    Many more, but here is a good one, make you think about the news.

People have long accused the media of being a proxy branch of the State Department, a highly sophisticated and well-produced form of manufactured consensus and controlled opposition all rolled into one. In ostensibly democratic nations, a free and independent press is of paramount importance. But in the U.S., we find a cohesion of the state and corporate news networks that do not constitute ‘state-run media’ in the traditional sense — but it’s close.

Our first solid documentation that the media is an echo chamber for the government came with the disclosure of what has come to be called Operation Mockingbird. This nefarious and far-reaching conspiracy was documented in Part 1 and involved the CIA essentially conscripting journalists, American news agencies, and major broadcasters to become domestic propagandists and spies. Eventually, this CIA/media symbiosis included journalists from all the top news organizations. Literally, thousands of people were involved.

Wikileaks exposed a number of disturbing revelations showing collusion between the media and political operatives

carlbernstein.com/magazine_cia_and_media.php

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Have you been to Sweden?

Brother lives there, i go once maybe twice a year to see him and nieces, its changed , even i could see that on my visits, he say its much worse that reported, his Swedish wife, friends are in a state of shock/denial about what has happened , but you can see there attitudes are changing, going to the right and picking up speed in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Many more, but here is a good one, make you think about the news.

Any Irish ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

That's like something the EDL would promote.

Any Irish ones?
    Do you not believe the media over here is controlled?
    IMF in Dublin all over Sky,BBC News, RTE not a peep!
    Stories about the church for years, we now know many where true.

Have you been to Sweden?

Brother lives there, i go once maybe twice a year to see him and nieces, its changed , even i could see that on my visits, he say its much worse that reported, his Swedish wife, friends are in a state of shock/denial about what has happened , but you can see there attitudes are changing, going to the right and picking up speed in that direction.

So your brother is an immigrant- does he get much hostility?

So your brother is an immigrant- does he get much hostility?

None what so ever, i'd assume thats because he come from the same christian background as Swedish natives, same morals, ethics, interests, he just had to learn the language and he was one of them, Swedish wife and children.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks for bringing this person to my attention OP

Just watched this documentary.

biko wrote: »
    Thanks for bringing this person to my attention OP

Just watched this documentary.

She is not in the wrong regarding this case, no wonder the powers that be ridicule her, she is exposing their lies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,949 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

She helped the poorest of the poor

No she didn't

Life ain't always empty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement