Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Precious parents and their new born kids

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

pwurple wrote: »
    I'd put solid money on Male, hands-off parent. a couple of kids, barely saw them as newborns. No paternity leave, wifey did it all out of sight.

Incredibly sexist remark

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Is this a recent phenomenon or has it always been the case? I'm beyond this phase in my life but I have friends/colleagues/acquaintances who seem to think that the world revolves around their kids nap or feeding times.

I was invited to a christening and at 11.30am, the mother a child left the christening to bring the baby home because nap time was between 12 and 2pm. So what was the point in having a Christening if you're just going to go home!

A friend invited themselves over to the house to introduce their new baby, she turns up 90 minutes late with the explanation that the child was asleep and couldn't be woke!!! So I have to organise my life around when your 6 month old child decides to wake up???

A new colleague has joined after moving back to Ireland from Australia where the baby was born. She's married with one child and is living in her parents while the house they bought is being renovated for the past year. Anyway, I can hear her chewing the balls off her father and snarking down the phone at the mother if the child isn't asleep at nap time or had it's arse wiped a certain way!

Another one was when we were INVITED over to a friends house, everybody had to whisper because the baby was having their nap and couldn't be woke. Do they not realise that it's a self fulfilling prophecy, if you tip toe around the house then you are creating an environment where the child will wake up whereas if you proceed as normal the kid will adapt to the noise?

What is the matter with these people that their kids are so precious where everyone has to tip toe around their timetable and sleeping habits or God forbid that a child might hear a loud voice!?!

You have so not a clue what your talking about. The world doesn't revolve around you. Also your opinion is irrelevant if you don't have kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    Also your opinion is irrelevant if you don't have kids.
    No it isn’t actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Op aren't you glad you're not in their shoes.

Parenting isn't for everyone, my lads nearly 18 now.
    Im over a lot of hurdles.

It's probably frustrating to you as you're probably free to do as you please.

I guarantee it, I know parents my age 43 who are only starting now, and they're off their head's from lack of sleep, worry and trying to work out logistics....
    Then getting feeds ready, everything has to be planned accordingly.

Some people say to me Muckka you're damn lucky your boy's nearly 18.
    Not as much fishing, golf, hunting and night's out anymore....
    I grin away smugly to myself, not forgetting I was there too.

I don't regret it.
    But you can be dam sure I'm glad it's all behind me.
    I love being a father.
    Once is enough.

Just be glad you have your freedom.
    There's nothing wrong with the way you feel, you'll find other friends to hang out with etc

I admire your honesty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

McCrack wrote: »
    Or another I have seen is the parent literally hovering obsessively over their kid as they play/move around

Dear Jesus that sounds amazing.

• Advertisement

McCrack wrote: »
    Leaving aside the OP's issue I can say what irritates me is when I am in company with a parent and young child having a conversation etc and the kid pipes up and the adult cuts the conversation and completely focuses on the kid to placate them

Or another I have seen is the parent literally hovering obsessively over their kid as they play/move around

Most annoying thing I see I a general lack of discipline on kids these days.
    Friends young fella 5 years old punched me in the arm one day cos I wasn’t paying attention to him. Daddy didn’t bat an eyelid. My lad does this, god help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    You have so not a clue what your talking about. The world doesn't revolve around you. Also your opinion is irrelevant if you don't have kids.

Irrelevant only because, ridiculously, the world now revolves around kids.

People need to realise that by and large, your children are really unexceptional.

And taking a global view, unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Irrelevant only because, ridiculously, the world now revolves around kids.

People need to realise that by and large, your children are really unexceptional.

And taking a global view, unnecessary.

Irrespective, the parent is responsible for the kid. I don't think neglect would stand up in court if a parent cited the reason being the kid was unexceptional. No exceptions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

When I was in school, a decade ago, we were terrified that we'd get a letter home to our parents if we got in trouble, and we'd get in trouble for it at home...

These days Children go home and tell their parents that the teacher gave out to them, and an awful lot of parents give out to the teacher for picking on their little johnny.. Snowflakes!!!

Don't even start on that educate together sh!te!!

So what you've attempted to say is that babies fall asleep and when they wake up they cry for food and therefore the world must come to a standstill. Thank you for haring the most basic knowledge of child rearing.

Of course the world comes to a standstill, they can't look after themselves. That's where the parenting comes in, not putting the feelings of an adult over the survival of a child. They get hungry, they dehydrate, they need someone to take care of these things, not let them suffer so you're not even mildly inconvenienced.
    You just highlighted the problem. The "routine of a new born". They don't have routines.

Yeah they do, they need lots of sleep and regular food and sometimes that's on a schedule and sometimes it's on their on schedule. Either way, you're not the important factor in their routine, and most adults can be reasonably expected to have some understanding of how difficult timing things is for new parents.

It's not always about you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

rgmmg wrote: »
    Irrespective, the parent is responsible for the kid. I don't think neglect would stand up in court if a parent cited the reason being the kid was unexceptional. No exceptions ;)

I understand all that.

'Responsible for the kid' means responsible for preparing them for life, though. No ?

You won't get a medal for coming last, the score does matter, you are not the centre of the universe... etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

garv123 wrote: »
    When I was in school, a decade ago, we were terrified that we'd get a letter home to our parents if we got in trouble, and we'd get in trouble for it at home...

These days Children go home and tell their parents that the teacher gave out to them, and an awful lot of parents give out to the teacher for picking on their little johnny.. Snowflakes!!!

Those parents always existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Those parents always existed.

An awful lot more of them nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Are you a long-term teacher? Because that’s the only way you’d know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

These types are all about projects. They become central and they bore others with them.

If it wasn't the kid project, it would be the new business project, the new car project, the get fit project, or the go back to educ project.

Lose them. There are almost 8 billion around and rising. Just get new friends, perhaps a 'new friend project' could be front and centre for you!

But I don't want to hear about it necessarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Candie wrote: »
    Of course the world comes to a standstill, they can't look after themselves. That's where the parenting comes in, not putting the feelings of an adult over the survival of a child. They get hungry, they dehydrate, they need someone to take care of these things, not let them suffer so you're not even mildly inconvenienced.

Yeah they do, they need lots of sleep and regular food and sometimes that's on a schedule and sometimes it's on their on schedule. Either way, you're not the important factor in their routine, and most adults can be reasonably expected to have some understanding of how difficult timing things is for new parents.

It's not always about you.

That's where you're wrong. Your world might come to a standstill but mine doesn't.

It's just another brick in the wall.
    My Jason wouldn't kick anyone.

Jason is now doing a long stretch at her majesty's pleasure over in England...

My Caroline isn't a brat.

Caroline is now a drug addict alcoholic and has a lot of convictions.

My Barry shouldn't be expelled.

No Barry's spending all his time between the pub and the bookies.

My Fiona isn't a brat.
    Fiona now runs a successful business in Dublin, raising a good family and still married to Richard

Muckka is a bit of a clown and think's everything is funny always interupting the class sniggering and laughing, he doesn't take school seriously....

Muckka is.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Muckka wrote: »
    It's just another brick in the wall.
    My Jason wouldn't kick anyone.

Jason is now doing a long stretch at her majesty's pleasure over in England...

My Caroline isn't a brat.

Caroline is now a drug addict alcoholic and has a lot of convictions.

My Barry shouldn't be expelled.

No Barry's spending all his time between the pub and the bookies.

My Fiona isn't a brat.
    Fiona now runs a successful business in Dublin, raising a good family and still married to Richard

Muckka is a bit of a clown and think's everything is funny always interupting the class sniggering and laughing, he doesn't take school seriously....

Muckka is.....

Getting the back of the hand from Teacher

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭BeerFarts

08yoko05bnm11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I've said it before and I'll say it now again: Generation snowflake is not a young people problem. It is a problem created by dickheads of my own age - late 30s up to mid-50s. They made all these problems with their parenting style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

And we had respect for our elders and and the summers were sunnier too.

So much generalization about the millennials and modern parenting. It's all woolly, feel-superior spoof as far as I can see.

uch wrote: »
    Getting the back of the hand from Teacher

It was the chalk duster, or 100 lion's

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

OP, a bit of advise for you.

Stock up on condoms please.

That's where you're wrong. Your world might come to a standstill but mine doesn't.

I don't have kids.

I can make allowances for people who do though, it's unpredictable and difficult and a huge responsibility and it's not hard to just cut people some slack when they're going through a life changing transition in early parenthood.

Be a friend to your friends, try to understand their lives have changed and their priorities are keeping the kid alive and keeping themselves sane first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I understand all that.

'Responsible for the kid' means responsible for preparing them for life, though. No ?

You won't get a medal for coming last, the score does matter, you are not the centre of the universe... etc

You didn't say that, I did. Responsibility applies whether they are exceptional or not . I think you were trying to paraphrase a Bill Hick's sketch.

I don't have kids.

I can make allowances for people who do though, it's unpredictable and difficult and a huge responsibility and it's not hard to just cut people some slack when they're going through a life changing transition in early parenthood.

Be a friend to your friends, try to understand their lives have changed and their priorities are keeping the kid alive and keeping themselves sane first and foremost.

They should be sane if they're bringing up kid's.

It’s also not hard to pick up the phone to the OP and say your gonna be late. If you can’t act with a few manners how the f*** are you gonna teach them to your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My sister calls it the nap trap. It’s grand when they’re new born and will sleep anywhere and you’re free as a bird, but from a few months on what’s the matter with having their naps and comfort as a priority? You’re only making a rod for your own back down the line if you don’t have them in a stable routine.

Muckka wrote: »
    They should be sane if they're bringing up kid's.

I think lack of sleep makes it tough to stay sane at times when people have new babies. I'd cut people a lot of slack if they're late or have to change plans when they have new babies. It's more important that they're okay, get some sleep, the baby is doing well etc.

• Advertisement

I think lack of sleep makes it tough to stay sane at times when people have new babies. I'd cut people a lot of slack if they're late or have to change plans when they have new babies. It's more important that they're okay, get some sleep, the baby is doing well etc.

I hear you, I was only having a bit of banter.
    Wasn't undermining your post.

I know alll about it
    Just glad it's over

Advertisement