Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Precious parents and their new born kids

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

People who were thoughtless and self centred before they had kids are going to be the same after they had kids.
    I have three, including a four month old. We're rarely, if ever, late to anything because we plan things knowing we have three children to get out the door. Most parents know the world doesn't revolve around their children and they don't take the piss. We didn't have any visitors for the first few weeks because newborn immune systems are vulnerable and I had no interest in seeing anyone outside immediate family tbh.
    We take our children out for lunches and brunches in places and we expect them to behave. We don't stick a tablet or a phone in front of them, we expect them to be able to have a conversation and I'll usually bring a few sheets of paper and a pencil case of crayons so they can do a picture. They know sometimes they have to stay quiet and not everything is designed for them.
    The problem is that some people are selfish and don't care about other people, not that they have children.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Very similar experiences?? Really? You mean like as an uncle/aunt/teacher etc. After having carried the baby in your ever expanding body for 9 months while puking endlessly into the loo, attended every scan and felt it wriggle about and heard it's heartbeat for the first time, saw it take it's first breath, to spend endless hours awake every night as it wakes up demanding food/nappy change every three hours with the accompanying sleep deprivation, seeing it's first attempt at a smile or a giggle, feeling the vomit soak into your clothes after your baby pukes on you for the 7th time today...I think not...It's probably the most intense but rewarding experiences I've ever had in my life and though I have other kids in the family, nothing will ever compare to having your own in terms of similar experiences. As someone who has had other kids around before having my own I suppose I have the benefit of having both experiences and I really do think it's mad to draw parallells between both.

As regards bad manners having a baby is an enormous life change and many struggle with the transition. It can be really hard to strike a balance between baby and friends. In saying that not into the whispering craic either though. I don't think we invited any around at all at that stage cause it was just so bloody exhausting.

Im sure you tell everyone about all of this in detail a lot right?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

GreeBo wrote: »
    The child's world revolves around their nap time.
    The child is not self sufficient, hence my world revolves around them at the moment.

boo hoo to you having to wait 90 minutes for someone with a newborn.
    Maybe you are just cranky because you soiled yourself?

Child or no child it's completely rude and unnecessary to leave someone waiting a full hour and a half without some form of communication. There's no excuse for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭The Infinite Fart

No. I don't actually. But I'm discussing it now, on a discussion forum about this topic. Imagine that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

I'm sure you look down your nose and judge people who you think aren't at your level of coolness a lot right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Is this a recent phenomenon or has it always been the case? I'm beyond this phase in my life but I have friends/colleagues/acquaintances who seem to think that the world revolves around their kids nap or feeding times.

I was invited to a christening and at 11.30am, the mother a child left the christening to bring the baby home because nap time was between 12 and 2pm. So what was the point in having a Christening if you're just going to go home!

A friend invited themselves over to the house to introduce their new baby, she turns up 90 minutes late with the explanation that the child was asleep and couldn't be woke!!! So I have to organise my life around when your 6 month old child decides to wake up???

A new colleague has joined after moving back to Ireland from Australia where the baby was born. She's married with one child and is living in her parents while the house they bought is being renovated for the past year. Anyway, I can hear her chewing the balls off her father and snarking down the phone at the mother if the child isn't asleep at nap time or had it's arse wiped a certain way!

Another one was when we were INVITED over to a friends house, everybody had to whisper because the baby was having their nap and couldn't be woke. Do they not realise that it's a self fulfilling prophecy, if you tip toe around the house then you are creating an environment where the child will wake up whereas if you proceed as normal the kid will adapt to the noise?

What is the matter with these people that their kids are so precious where everyone has to tip toe around their timetable and sleeping habits or God forbid that a child might hear a loud voice!?!

Might be required for school?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

No. I don't actually. But I'm discussing it now, on a discussion forum about this topic. Imagine that
    Theres no discussion just yourself going into the finer details of a situation that only means something to you.

I'm sure you look down your nose and judge people who you think aren't at your level of coolness a lot right?

My level of coolness? wtf are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

I find it funny watching some of these parents in their late 20's up until their 40's trying to look after kid's.

It's a complete shock to their system, they were so used to the fancy free and easy lifestyle.

Then along comes baby, everything else goes out the window.

As for younger parents they just seem to cope way better and are well able to compartmentalise their lives.

My lad was born when I was 23.
    I just had to make sacrifices and let go of my night's out when I had him
    He came first and some of my friends had kids too so we had that in common.

Would I recommend having kid's younger ? Definitely.

Would I go again ? Definitely not.

Life is good when you're in your 40's and no more tears...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Muckka wrote: »
    I find it funny watching some of these parents in their late 20's up until their 40's trying to look after kid's.

It's a complete shock to their system, they were so used to the fancy free and easy lifestyle.

Then along comes baby, everything else goes out the window.

As for younger parents they just seem to cope way better and are well able to compartmentalise their lives.

My lad was born when I was 23.
    I just had to make sacrifices and let go of my night's out when I had him
    He came first and some of my friends had kids too so we had that in common.

Would I recommend having kid's younger ? Definitely.

Would I go again ? Definitely not.

Life is good when you're in your 40's and no more tears...

I'm not sure if you meant to come across as smug as you did...but some people choose to wait and it works out better for them. Some people have kids younger and it works better for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Another one was when we were INVITED over to a friends house, everybody had to whisper because the baby was having their nap and couldn't be woke. Do they not realise that it's a self fulfilling prophecy, if you tip toe around the house then you are creating an environment where the child will wake up whereas if you proceed as normal the kid will adapt to the noise?

This one is the funniest. You think it's weird and precious being quiet around a baby that's asleep? What terrible parents! They should have a noisy atmosphere for a baby to sleep in!? Christ, you should be a child psychologist. You also are moaning about the world revolving around newborn babies and not you? Because it upsets you? The ignorance and irony is amazing, I actually hope this is a troll.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if you meant to come across as smug as you did...but some people choose to wait and it works out better for them. Some people have kids younger and it works better for them.

I understand that, no I wouldn't be smug about it.
    Well it's not really funny, but looking back at the people who rubbed my nose in it for getting my girlfriend pregnant at the time and told me my life was over, and them now telling me I'm a jammy bastard for having an 18 year old in my 40's is ironic.

I know all the variables, get your career and finance's sorted, a secure job, mortgage etc

But I'm glad I did it at 23 now and I empathize with how hard and frustrated one can be.

But humble pie is a great learning curve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Sometimes people have no choice regarding when they have children. It doesn't always happen to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

What? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

There's a lot of defensiveness in this thread, on both sides. It's an emotive issue.

There are those people waxing lyrical about carrying a child for 9 months and the feel of them in their belly as they grow and the fresh new born smell of their offspring etc and the joy and worry etc it brings...and how no one understands unless they've been there.

And there's others who see it, less verbosely, as you procreated like most mammals do and now you have to rear it. A life choice to get on with as best you can.

Same narratives, different perspectives.

Either way a little bit of respect for both is all that is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

A general rule I apply in life is "don't be a díckhead". Leaving someone wait for 90 mins with no communication that you'll be late is being a díckhead. Having a child is no excuse for it.

But there's a bit too much "I don't care about your kids, they're not mine". That's fine talking about strangers but if you feel that way about someone that is supposed to be a friend, it's a shítty attitude and you need to have a word with yourself.

Plans may get thrown out the window as a parent but flag it to people who are affected. And the people affected need to be understanding.

It shouldn't be that difficult.

As has been said, being a parent hasn't made people dìcks. They've done that by themselves and long before being a parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Unlike you I don't make decisions for other people on whether or not they should have children

Still really confused about this accusation. If you feel like I've forced you to have kids, I'm so sorry. I can't recall having completed the actions necessary for this to be true, but willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

oLoonatic wrote: »
    Times change, parenting styles change. Perhaps you need to change too.

Yes..now parent allow men dressed as women called Miss Hot Mess into classrooms to talk about homosexuality to 4 year olds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Didn't you get the memo? People in their late 20s and early 30s (i.e. the age of most new parents nowadays - the majority of whom are doing fine) are past it for raising children - past it! And it's "funny" - like a comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Or maybe don't leave me waiting 90 mins or invite me over to your house.

You may need to remind people of how important your time is OP. Or JUST MAYBE the baby was extra tired and would not awake babies actually do this and if you force them awake it will be like WW3. But now they know everything has to revolve around you.

For everybody else yes a new born is the most important to a parent and you will be way down the pecking order. Even I a person who does not have kids know this

There's an app you can get if you've problems reading a post, and sometimes if you read further down, you'll get more of the story.

There's a lot of different ways you can read into a post.

If you translate your version, I'd be more than delighted to give you mine.

• Advertisement

Didn't you get the memo? People in their late 20s and early 30s (i.e. the age of most new parents nowadays - the majority of whom are doing fine) are past it for raising children - past it! And it's "funny" - like a comedy.

I'd buy that for a dollar lol

I never said they're past it, I said they find it more difficult.

But sure you're entitled to add a bit here and there.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Sometimes people have no choice regarding when they have children. It doesn't always happen to plan.

That's for sure lol
    I know all about that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

This may have been said already: I also think some ppl are more precious than others, with or without new born kids ...

from another point of view, if someone in babyland gets offended by me not giving too many compliments to a baby I can't relate to, I can live with that: not all babies are supposed to be cute. But ... for some reason it appears all my close friends babies are cuter // maybe cause they have familiar features :)

There's an app you can get if you've problems reading a post, and sometimes if you read further down, you'll get more of the story.

There's a lot of different ways you can read into a post.

If you translate your version, I'd be more than delighted to give you mine.

I was wondering if I misinterpreted your initial post and surely you didn’t actually mean to be that patronising, but I see now that it’s just your style.

Carry on.

I was wondering if I misinterpreted your initial post and surely you didn’t actually mean to be that patronising, but I see now that it’s just your style.

Carry on.

My style, oxblood polished with black Dock martens or iron ranger's.
    Jeans, rustic shirts and Arran jumper's
    Tattooed, bearded and a bit retro vintage..

No I'm just a bit of a clown sometimes...
    Not patronising, and if I come across that way, it's because I'm used to banter...

Cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'd buy that for a dollar lol

I never said they're past it, I said they find it more difficult.

But sure you're entitled to add a bit here and there.
    They really don’t. Theyre more likely to have a stable income, a house so they’re not beating a path to the council for assistance. They’ve got to enjoy their youth, gone to college, settled down and had time to grow up. Sounds like you’re just trying to console yourself to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Cienciano wrote: »
    This one is the funniest. You think it's weird and precious being quiet around a baby that's asleep? What terrible parents! They should have a noisy atmosphere for a baby to sleep in!? Christ, you should be a child psychologist. You also are moaning about the world revolving around newborn babies and not you? Because it upsets you? The ignorance and irony is amazing, I actually hope this is a troll.

Except he didnt moan that the world didnt revolve around him. He moaned that someone invted him to a celebration and left after 30 minutes. Or another "friend" left him waiting around for 90 minutes with no contact when they had plans.

And honestly, if everyone in the house has to whisper and be really really quiet when a baby is sleeping then dont invite people to your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

They're just needy organisms, prone to outbursts of Ill temper, that demand constant attention from those close to them.

Enough about the OP though..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

They really don’t. Theyre more likely to have a stable income, a house so they’re not beating a path to the council for assistance. They’ve got to enjoy their youth, gone to college, settled down and had time to grow up. Sounds like you’re just trying to console yourself to be honest.
    My sentiments exactly. Missing out on early/mid 20s can't be fun. Anyone I know who had a child very young adores their child but would still recommend people wait until they're older.

I understand mid 30s onwards being tougher due to lack of energy but late 20s/early 30s? Ridiculous. Perfect time to start having children imo.

Advertisement