Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbags in city centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Robocop Corcoran

tuxy wrote: »
    Chapel street in Cork or Limerick city?

Why are people so cryptic on details? The street can't sue you for making unfounded accusations.

CAPEL STREET, read the thread and dont be asking stupid questions

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I have to admit, I kinda like seeing the junkies and the likes around. It reminds me that my life isn't so bad after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

CAPEL STREET, read the thread and dont be asking stupid questions

The original post was about cork and limerick AFAIK. I'm not aware of a street by that name in either of those cities.

The original post was about cork and limerick AFAIK

The OP was talking about Wood Quay, Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Zipppy wrote: »
    Left work this eve in city centre to walk home. Walking along South quays I was met with 'You looking' 'You looking bud' by two scummers hanging about.
    I ignored and walked on..'Not first time I been asked that'..but this time I was met with 'Looking to get your head kicked in' and ' Looking to get fcu*in battered' etc probably cos I was ignoring them...
    So I know they're just scummers but surely folk should be able to walk home after work without being abused? Why can't they all not just be 'put down' or something...

Next time, start a fight with them.

I guarantee, after you land the first punch they'll never bother you again

• Advertisement

Next time, start a fight with them.

I guarantee, after you land the first punch they'll never bother you again

Thats ok if you have knockout power in your fists, the crew along aston quay and wood quay are dealers they arent all weak junkies.

They carry knives. Best advice would be to avoid conflict with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Or bring a bigger knife.

Or bring a bigger knife.

Thank you Mick Dundee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Thats ok if you have knockout power in your fists, the crew along aston quay and wood quay are dealers they arent all weak junkies.

Dealers don’t want to attract attention to themselves by pointlessly starting fights in the street. Most of them are very stupid, but not that stupid

Its the junkies with brains scrambled by years of pumping themselves full of heroin that pester and intimidate ordinary members of the public

Dealers don’t want to attract attention to themselves by pointlessly starting fights in the street. Most of them are very stupid, but not that stupid

Its the junkies with brains scrambled by years of pumping themselves full of heroin that pester and intimidate ordinary members of the public

Well the OP stated he ignored their offer of drugs and thinks that's the reason why they threatened him physically. Maybe they were junkies and dealers, either way, conflict is best avoided with these types, speaking from my own personal experience, ive the scars as a reminder.

OP, if you have to walk that way home maybe walk on the opposite side of the road along the liffey wall then cross the street only when you have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Over the weekend, a junkie on Dame st said to me, “your dog is fluffy, does he lick your balls”.
    I hate scummy tack-heads.

Yes, but does he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Thomas_IV

Omackeral wrote: »
    Which city are you talking about?

Not sure which city he was referring to, Dublin came to my mind first.

Zipppy wrote: »
    Left work this eve in city centre to walk home. Walking along South quays I was met with 'You looking' 'You looking bud' by two scummers hanging about.
    I ignored and walked on..'Not first time I been asked that'..but this time I was met with 'Looking to get your head kicked in' and ' Looking to get fcu*in battered' etc probably cos I was ignoring them...
    So I know they're just scummers but surely folk should be able to walk home after work without being abused? Why can't they all not just be 'put down' or something...

I also ignore such people. Seems to me that things are getting worse.

Hmm, i dont know. Like the decresse in obesity, the decrease in scumbags is another phenomenon to have occurred in Irish society since 2008, especially since 2013. Most people who “would have been” scumbags twenty years ago are now really concerned with their self image, have third level degrees, dont abuse substances or smoke, no longer subsist off beige frozen food, or possess other traits that scumbags were known for. Walking around any of the cities in Ireland feels safer than it did even 7,8 years ago. The very high basic standard of living and availability of entertainment and pleasure to all has made the concept of being a “hard-done-by” scumbag increasingly unrealistic. In the past kids matured into scumbags because they were hanging around their estates bored and causing trouble and there was no social pressure to not be a scumbag- they even seem to have lacked self awareness that others couldnt help but perceive them to be in the category of “scumbag”, they were just behaving naturally without self-awareness. With the advent of social media, nobody lacks self awareness of how they appear to others and so former scumbags now declare “aw ive changed man”. It’s just a cultural change- scumbags (of the chav sort prevalent in the late 90s/2000s) will eventually be viewed as some relic as everyone becomes more civilised in their behaviour.

Hmm, i dont know. ... With the advent of social media, nobody lacks self awareness of how they appear to others and so former scumbags now declare “aw ive changed man”. It’s just a cultural change- scumbags (of the chav sort prevalent in the late 90s/2000s) will eventually be viewed as some relic as everyone becomes more civilised in their behaviour.

I'm not of that impression, not at all and to read through some threads on Twatter or Farcebook (depending on which account of that is concerned) it rather gives one the impression that 'some' posters there are absolutely reckless, throwing around insults at anybody who replies or even don't reply to their comment and they don't give a fiddlers cos they know that due to the lack of measures to take by the providers of both sides (which are both very reluctant to do anything unless threatened with financial reprisals) they simply get away with it. Sh1testorms are the usual way for harassment and the connection between the virtual and the real world shows its very ugly face when Flash Mobs - organised in a very short time via Twatter of Farcebook - appear on the doorstep of a Person that gets harassed by that mob.

Recent observations about that development show that the threshold for anti-social behaviour and harassment is lowering. Some also say that the hatespeeches in social media is already about to spread into the real life where people get attacked for what they are, what they say or what political leaning they have. That's the dark side of the net that is obvious to see on a daily basis. It's nothing new at all, such things already happened right from the start of Twatter and Farcebook and they were always the reason for me to avoid them both like the plague. It's really enough to have fecking trolls on message boards, but that's not as worse like having them on social media like Twatter and Farcebook. The facts that they both are that reluctant to act on hatespeech and harassment properly gives them no credit at all imo.

In contrast to Twatter and Farcebook, here on this site one has proper moderation and trolls get dealt with the way they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Ask them if they want a hug next time you have an encounter with them kill them with kindness.

The Mickah "Don't **** with me" Wallace strategy is better i.e. the glasgow kiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hmm, i dont know. Like the decresse in obesity, the decrease in scumbags is another phenomenon to have occurred in Irish society since 2008, especially since 2013. Most people who “would have been” scumbags twenty years ago are now really concerned with their self image, have third level degrees, dont abuse substances or smoke, no longer subsist off beige frozen food, or possess other traits that scumbags were known for. Walking around any of the cities in Ireland feels safer than it did even 7,8 years ago. The very high basic standard of living and availability of entertainment and pleasure to all has made the concept of being a “hard-done-by” scumbag increasingly unrealistic. In the past kids matured into scumbags because they were hanging around their estates bored and causing trouble and there was no social pressure to not be a scumbag- they even seem to have lacked self awareness that others couldnt help but perceive them to be in the category of “scumbag”, they were just behaving naturally without self-awareness. With the advent of social media, nobody lacks self awareness of how they appear to others and so former scumbags now declare “aw ive changed man”. It’s just a cultural change- scumbags (of the chav sort prevalent in the late 90s/2000s) will eventually be viewed as some relic as everyone becomes more civilised in their behaviour.

Ha, come out to west Tallaght, stay a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the feral children who harass the luas red line particularly around Heuston and James' Hospital are a fooking menace to paying commuters, i wish it was legal for passengers to physically throw them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Spleerbun wrote: »
    You weren't 'lookin' at his girlfriend op were you? She could have heart problems, be a bit more considerate yeah https://youtu.be/-CBVTSXcH90

edit ..

might have been a bit too far ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There is part of society that admire the behaviour and it is that simple. Why anybody would want to just pick a fight for no reason pretty much tells you what the person is like. I have never ever thought to pick a fight with anyone for no reason. Even the idea of intentionally provoking somebody is completely alien to me.
    When I was in school there were plenty of people who would do this stuff. I was coming home from a friends house. A gang of 5 scumbags come running over and start beating me up. Then it stops as one of them recognises me as being in school with him. All topologies as they were just out "Hippy Bashing" and didn't recognise me.
    Now some of my friends had been attacked the same way around the same time but we didn't know who was at it. Some of my friends were very interested in the identity of these guys and were very pleased with the information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Over the weekend, a junkie on Dame st said to me, “your dog is fluffy, does he lick your balls”.
    I hate scummy tack-heads.

The obvious answer to that was "he'd like to, but your mother's head is always in his way"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You weren't 'lookin' at his girlfriend op were you? She could have heart problems, be a bit more considerate yeah https://youtu.be/-CBVTSXcH90
    lol what an absolute spa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

lol what an absolute spa
    To be honest 3 people in the wrong here. The pedestrian for walking out, biker for revving and the least was the guy complaining but still wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    To be honest 3 people in the wrong here. The pedestrian for walking out, biker for revving and the least was the guy complaining but still wrong.

Most motor bikes don't have horns.
    What's the best way for them to alert a pedestrian that just walked out in front of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Ray Palmer wrote: »

Read through some comments on facebook on this video and asked a pal of mine who has a motorbike, apparently revving is not against the law.

The girl should watch where she is going. Like most scum in Dublin city centre like the OP encountered, they must be all colour blind and don't know the difference between a red and green light and just walk across roads with their hands out expecting traffic to stop for them, probably looking to get hit so they can claim.

And as for the fella, he would have ran a mile if the guy got off his bike, little wannbe hard man mouth watching too many Conor McGregor press conferences

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I have to admit, I kinda like seeing the junkies and the likes around. It reminds me that my life isn't so bad after all.

Every capitalist system needs a few poor people dotted around to keep people in line.

Funny video, could hardly stop chuckling.

The mouthing pedestrian was obviously wrong. More to the point the biker didn't have much speed otherwise the pedestrian couldn't have stopped him. I think that the young chap was about to impress his girlfriend. She didn't show up as he called her, probably cos the lad made a show of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Most motor bikes don't have horns.
    What's the best way for them to alert a pedestrian that just walked out in front of them?

Eh !! what ? :rolleyes:

All motorbikes have horns.

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Read through some comments on facebook on this video and asked a pal of mine who has a motorbike, apparently revving is not against the law.

The girl should watch where she is going. Like most scum in Dublin city centre like the OP encountered, they must be all colour blind and don't know the difference between a red and green light and just walk across roads with their hands out expecting traffic to stop for them, probably looking to get hit so they can claim.

And as for the fella, he would have ran a mile if the guy got off his bike, little wannbe hard man mouth watching too many Conor McGregor press conferences

Absolutely!

• Advertisement

Every capitalist system needs a few poor people dotted around to keep people in line.

Until the few become the many which is very often a 'game changer' when they decide that they had had enough. This is how revolutions start.

Advertisement