Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Yeah but every nurse is not working in A&E.

In any walk of life and in any and every job there are going to be some who take it easy. My father spent time in hospital last year and he told me that on Sunday one of the nurses on the ward used to disappear to watch the GAA matches. She left the 12 bed ward to a single nurse and dropped back for a walkthrough between the games

The second nurse deserves to be well paid, the first, not so much.

Good on you dad. We should base our entire health system on his Sunday afternoon observation :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

mariaalice wrote: »
    If only people only got sick 9 to 5 it just dose not work the way you think.

You don't seem to understand what I'm saying. Operate a better shift roster with more nurses. I mentioned nothing of 9 to 5. Majority of shift jobs do have allowances for shift work which is fine the way it shoukd be but if nurses are doing over time on top of this it's getting more costly. As I said more nurses with standard number of hours. Not 9 to 5 but 36 hours in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Is it not the case that Irish Nurses are amongst some of the best paid in Europe?
    We have more nurses per capita than most countries.

Both of these statements are true.

The other problem is we have nurses both standing around waiting for consultants to move their arses and deal with their public patients rather than their private patients, and also nurses doing work that should be done by care assistants. Nurses in other countries also have more medical duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

And as I said in previous post:

Are the conditions the same?
    Is the cost of living the same?
    Is the euro per hour worked the same?
    Is the role and responsibility and the same?
    How do the wages average over the working life or a nurse?

There's no point saying "they're the best paid" when every contributing factor that determines pay is different.

So do you think conditions in Irish hospitals are significantly worse than most of Europe?
    Do you think the cost of living in Ireland is greater than the UK and France for example?
    Do you think the role and responsibility of Irish nurses is greater than those in the UK?

I'm not sure what point you are making in terms of the working life of a nurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Good on you dad. We should base our entire health system on his Sunday afternoon observation :rolleyes:

Well, I see how you want to take part in a discussion.

Thanks for playing.

• Advertisement

So do you think conditions in Irish hospitals are significantly worse than most of Europe?
    Do you think the cost of living in Ireland is greater than the UK and France for example?
    Do you think the role and responsibility of Irish nurses is greater than those in the UK?

I'm not sure what point you are making in terms of the working life of a nurse.
    Yes to all of those.
    Well, I see how you want to take part in a discussion.

Thanks for playing.

I call it like I see it.
    Maybe the nurse watching the match was on her fifth 13 hour shift that week and a bit of time of her feet was needed to keep her sane.

If you want my anecdote; one of the lads is a guard, he pulled 3 drivers over around 10am one morning, all driving like they were drunk.

All were nurses, coming off shift and so tired they couldn't drive straight. It's a mad system where you sacrifice your own health to keep others healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yes to all of those.

I call it like I see it.
    Maybe the nurse watching the match was on her fifth 13 hour shift that week and a bit of time of her feet was needed to keep her sane.

If you want my anecdote; one of the lads is a guard, he pulled 3 drivers over around 10am one morning, all driving like they were drunk.

All were nurses, coming off shift and so tired they couldn't drive straight. It's a mad system where you sacrifice your own health to keep others healthy.

Maybe, but is it not more likely that that were just jaded/unmotivated and just phoning it in?

The majority of the nurses I met in my A and E experience weren't the Florence Nightingales the unions would have you believe they were. And the CNM, what an arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

To answer the OP, yes, I think nurses will get their payrise, they always do. Next after that will be teachers & the gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

whats with the adoration for nurses?
    they do a job. they dont perform miracles. yes they deserve a fair pay but so too does every othet worker.
    the elevation of nurses and teachers in this country is inexplicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

To answer the OP, yes, I think nurses will get their payrise, they always do. Next after that will be teachers & the gardaí.

Not the guards. They just threatened to go on strike a few months ago and pascal found 300 mil down the back of the couch ! So the guards won’t strike

• Advertisement

hawkelady wrote: »
    Not the guards. They just threatened to go on strike a few months ago and pascal found 300 mil down the back of the couch ! So the guards won’t strike

It's amazing the government has no problem finding a few hundred million when it suits them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

they do a job. they dont perform miracles. yes they deserve a fair pay but so too does every othet worker.

They are put up on a pedestal even though there is many other professions just as important if not more than nurses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Next time youse are 'genuinely' not 'faking it' in the A&E and can find a nurse not watching GAA matches or on holidays, tell her her job is only as important as that of a Librarian, who has regular office hours and seldom has to put anything bar books on trolleys.

The blame game is completely f***ed in this country and tory Leo is a guru for it. It's about fairness and accountability not that any policy makers have to deal with such trivialities.

Next time youse are 'genuinely' not 'faking it' in the A&E and can find a nurse not watching GAA matches or on holidays, tell her her job is only as important as that of a Librarian, who has regular office hours and seldom has to put anything bar books on trolleys.

The blame game is completely f***ed in this country and tory Leo is a guru for it. It's about fairness and accountability not that any policy makers have to deal with such trivialities.

Oh look your first post here is blaming Leo Varadkar.

You’re username is actually Leo Varadkars partners name.

Mate I’ve said it before, that is majorly creepy, you have an unhealthy obsession with Leo Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Never did either. Like any profession there’s amazing ones that go above and beyond and then there’s the dead weight with a terrible attitude and no sense of pride in what they do.
    Comments like “they should be paid any amount...” are ridiculous and tragic in a state barely paying its way and a small open economy that could be hit with the next downturn anytime. Then with all these crazy pay demands we are back where we were in 2009, running a €10 billion euro deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Why one earth would you want to be a nurse in this country? The odds are stacked against you from the off, between low wages, extremely high levels of stress and responsibility, working shifts and long hours. Internal politics and trying to contact the highers-up to make your case. It seems pure sadism to me- if you really want to do it and its your calling, head off to Dubai or even Britain where conditions are much better.

I can safely say im earning at least twice the average nurse wage and I don't have a fraction of their stress. There are lots of jobs out there where you can clock in, do your job and not feel like a shell when you clock out. Seriously, its a mess in the nursing profession, find a new career.

Finding a new career doesn't solve the problems for nurses staying within the HSE.It only solves the problem for the person(s) who leave or who decide not to go into nursing at all.Running away from this broken system is not going to fix it.We need our nurses happy and stress free at their job.
    Throwing money at them will not fix the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Oh look your first post here is blaming Leo Varadkar.

You’re username is actually Leo Varadkars partners name.

Mate I’ve said it before, that is majorly creepy, you have an unhealthy obsession with Leo Varadkar.

Says my stalker :) I see you dodge the points and go for the verbal wedgey, good man.
    Leo was giving out about nurses in the times today. He's not a boy in school I don't like, he's the mouthpiece leading the country. Don't be so precious, he's a big boy.

You're obvious obsession with wheelie bins is a worry :):) ...wait maybe it's just a name you picked for the craic??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

We produced a lot of nurses down the centuries in this country, a lot worked in England, almost everyone has an aunt or mother who was a nurse, my own mother was one aswell as two aunts

Veneration of nurses is a sort of sacred Irish tradition

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    We produced a lot of nurses down the centuries in this country, a lot worked in England, almost everyone has an aunt or mother who was a nurse, my own mother was one aswell as two aunts

Veneration of nurses is a sort of sacred Irish tradition

Same. Loads of family nurses, but they get on/got on with it without the incessant whining.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It is but don’t underestimate how powerful the unions are and their media buddies.
    Can you back that up, please with actual facts?
    https://www.careeraddict.com/top-5-countries-with-the-highest-paid-salaries-for-nurses

"The average pay for a Registered Nurse (RN) is €31,112 per year." a far cry from "your media buddy" Ivan Yate's figures of €57,000 per year today.
    https://www.payscale.com/research/IE/Job=Registered_Nurse_(RN)/Salary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Certainly the new entrants could do with a payrise. It would keep more nurses here, reduce how understaffed our hospitals are and massively improve nurses working conditions which is really the main problem here, that they are paid too little for what they are doing and the hours they are putting in.

I would just like to know what's happening as I book outpatient appointments and we haven't a clue what to do for those days...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    37 hours, average salary is 55k per annum not including overtime

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Can you back that up, please with actual facts?
    https://www.careeraddict.com/top-5-countries-with-the-highest-paid-salaries-for-nurses

"The average pay for a Registered Nurse (RN) is €31,112 per year." a far cry from "your media buddy" Ivan Yate's figures of €57,000 per year today.
    https://www.payscale.com/research/IE/Job=Registered_Nurse_(RN)/Salary

So weekly about 500 - 480 after tax. Peanuts.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    So weekly about 500 - 480 after tax. Peanuts.

Peanuts? Really?

That’s a starting rate.

Excluding overtime, shift allowance, pension and a job for life.

The public sector have never had it better.

But sure keep giving them more and hello, another recession.

Will we blame the nurses this time?

Peanuts? Really?

That’s a starting rate.

Excluding overtime, shift allowance, pension and a job for life.

The public sector have never had it better.

But sure keep giving them more and hello, another recession.

Will we blame the nurses this time?

No that's the average rate. And it's not much higher than most starting salaries in other professions.

If you think that's good you should go on strike yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Lemonposset

This is a nurses salary for 2 weeks work. She works in ICU and has 2 post-graduate qualifications. She averages a 36 hr a week shift comprised of 3 x 13hr shifts, these shifts can be day or night, and she works every 2nd weekend. She is about 6 years qualified. Luas drivers make more money & that's not to disparage Luas drivers but this nurse is infinitely more qualified & doing more complex work under more stressful conditions. I work with nurses who would be better off on the dole, they'd have more money & see their families more.

Nurses deserve this pay rise so much, and I hope they get it. You can go on about them 'endangering' patients with a strike but the truth is that we've failed them and are endangering patients more by driving them out of Ireland to places where their value is recognised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

This is a nurses salary for 2 weeks work. She works in ICU and has 2 post-graduate qualifications. She averages a 36 hr a week shift comprised of 3 x 13hr shifts, these shifts can be day or night, and she works every 2nd weekend. She is about 6 years qualified. Luas drivers make more money & that's not to disparage Luas drivers but this nurse is infinitely more qualified & doing more complex work under more stressful conditions. I work with nurses who would be better off on the dole, they'd have more money & see their families more.

Nurses deserve this pay rise so much, and I hope they get it. You can go on about them 'endangering' patients with a strike but the truth is that we've failed them and are endangering patients more by driving them out of Ireland to places where their value is recognised.

1483/fortnight, 741.50/week

How much do they want?

No that's the average rate. And it's not much higher than most starting salaries in other professions.

If you think that's good you should go on strike yourself.

I should go on strike myself?

I work for myself.

I have no job security.
    Pension.
    Union backing.
    Job for life.
    Guaranteed wage every week.
    Lunch and breakfast breaks
    Etc etc

I get on with it, but it seems PS workers need to be breastfed at every point of their lives.

I should go on strike myself?

I work for myself.

I have no job security.
    Pension.
    Union backing.
    Job for life.
    Guaranteed wage every week.
    Lunch and breakfast breaks
    Etc etc

I get on with it, but it seems PS workers need to be breastfed at every point of their lives.

The great thing about being self employed is that if you're good, none of those points matter :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The public service unions sold out new graduates to save themselves . Also it doesn't matter what degree people graduate with a large portion leave to go travelling etc because they want to, over half my own course did when there was plenty jobs at home

Advertisement