Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

hawkelady wrote: »
    .... it’s a wait and see but any nurse with a pre 2003 contract would be mad to agree to something that might affect her pension without knowing every detail.

Are there no male nurses!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Very few, its almost totally female.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

daithi7 wrote: »
    Are there no male nurses!?

Ah , there are plenty of lads , of course ... my apologies , I should have known that you wouldn’t have understood my comment unless I had inserted her/him into the sentence !!
    You don’t get to talk with many females , do you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I see that the Garda are back chomping at the bit for more, just a few years after their last pay grab.

Giving into the guards and now the nurses will be seen as this Government's biggest mistake. They have given a blank cheque over to the public sector unions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

salonfire wrote: »
    I see that the Garda are back chomping at the bit for more, just a few years after their last pay grab.

Giving into the guards and now the nurses will be seen as this Government's biggest mistake. They have given a blank cheque over to the public sector unions.

What choice did they really have.

While public and media against them.

Now criticing them.

Honestly can’t win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Considering the health spend is 15.3 billion of taxpayers money per year we should have the best health service in the world for a country of less than 5 million people.

This is something that everyone employed in the health service from the top down needs to answer before anyone should be talking about pay rises.

Worse, it's €16.05bn this year. I'm sure it'll be spent wisely :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

You don’t get to talk with many females , do you ?

Excuse me!!
    I get to talk to loads thank you but few as rude as you are thankfully, and I insist on talking with the mannerly ones only!

Look apologising graciously when you're called out on something is not something that everyone is capable of, unfortunately . I'm sorry for you...

P.s. Now kindly fup off!!

salonfire wrote: »

Agree about the guards , but if the government say that the terms and conditions of the current pay deal weren’t broken , there’s not much the guards can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

tretorn wrote: »
    Very few, its almost totally female.

8-10% apparently are male nurses

What choice did they really have.

While public and media against them.

Now criticing them.

Honestly can’t win.

The public are stupid, see Brexit and Trump. This is our colour of it.

I bet not many people know that almost the entire receipts of Income Tax is used to pay the salaries and pensions of the public sector. Complete madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Is it possible for Sh1tehawk Lady to write a post without personal insults, does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Is it possible for Sh1tehawk Lady to write a post without personal insults, does anyone know?

You're doing yourself no favours either.

Lol. I see the Fine Gael yes men are back ... you weren’t missed btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Nurse contract is 37.5 hours. Intern contract is 39 hours. Under the new pay deal (if agreed) nurses will earn more than doctors per hour.

After receiving a copy of the agreement this afternoon, I can confirm this is categorically untrue :)

I really can't see this making it through a ballot in either the INMO or PNA. There are some massive gaps in the agreement - I think it's best to now to add a tail to this for another 9.5 months and wait for the PSSA to end it's term, and then, make a challenge.

Miike wrote: »
    I really can't see this making it through a ballot in either the INMO or PNA. There are some massive gaps in the agreement - I think it's best to now to add a tail to this for another 9.5 months and wait for the PSSA to end it's term, and then, make a challenge.

Totally agree with you. I can see this thread coming back to life after the votes are counted ..

Totally agree with you. I can see this thread coming back to life after the votes are counted ..

The reality of this thread is even if the nurses said in morning "you know what... forget the lot! we're happy how we are" some of the people in here would still be frothing from the mouth. If anything the last 200+ pages of this thread have highlighted how little some people understand any aspect of this problem and aren't open to logical debate whatsoever. They'll sit rocking in the corner of their bedrooms chanting "OECD OECD OECD OECD" until they mouth is chapped and bleeding. Despite the chanting, their understanding of the figures and their purpose is genuinely close to zero. I find that depressing - There is so many people who posted here who have a very thorough understanding and contrasting views on the topic but they jumped ship early when this thread took a nose dive à la After Hours, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

We were told urgent cancer surgeries would not be cancelled. That was a lie. I'm sick with upset."

David was due to have urgent cancer surgery this morning at St Vincent's University Hospital in Dublin.

Yesterday, he was told it was cancelled. It is the third time this surgery has been cancelled since January.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0204/1027540-patient-nurses-strike/

The nurses would throw cancer patients under a bus to get a few grubby quid extra, that'll be pissed away in Coppers on a couple of Malibu's.

One would really have to wonder if it was all worth it.

• Advertisement

We were told urgent cancer surgeries would not be cancelled. That was a lie. I'm sick with upset."

David was due to have urgent cancer surgery this morning at St Vincent's University Hospital in Dublin.

Yesterday, he was told it was cancelled. It is the third time this surgery has been cancelled since January.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0204/1027540-patient-nurses-strike/

His surgery was cancellations were not due to strike action though?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭feckthisgenie

The nurses would throw cancer patients under a bus to get a few grubby quid extra, that'll be pissed away in Coppers on a couple of Malibu's.

One would really have to wonder if it was all worth it.

I really think that the private sector should be made pay more tax to allow across the board pay increase for the public sector. The wages of these big shots are mental

I really think that the private sector should be made pay more tax to allow across the board pay increase for the public sector. The wages of these big shots are mental

That's it though. Where does it stop?

Yes, we could be collecting more taxes but what guarantees are there that the public sector won't just keep asking for more and more?

Public sector unions are a cancer in this country for years, during good times and the bad like the 50s,70s and 80s

There will eventually be a private sector revolution - make no mistake.

Any public sector worker in their 20's or 30's who think their pensions will be funded out of current expenditure when they retire is dreaming.

Imagine asking (a much smaller) working population in 40 years time to pay income tax rates of 80% to keep them in the style they were promised.

It's all a con, a big ponzi scheme, - and we know what happens to ponzi schemes eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Any public sector worker in their 20's or 30's who think their pensions will be funded out of current expenditure when they retire is dreaming.

Not a problem. I’m in me 40s!

:D

Imagine asking (a much smaller) working population in 40 years time to pay income tax rates of 80% to keep them in the style they were promised.

It's all a con, a big ponzi scheme, - and we know what happens to ponzi schemes eventually.

Who have we got here mystic meg? The pension pot will the still around by the time I retire

The private sector is too disjointed, and getting worse with the advent of the gig economy like Uber and Deliveroo.

To think the Garda already got their increase, got general across the board increases and are now back for more says everything you need to know.

Pigs at a trough.

Unions are willing to risk people's lives in order to get their fill.

Who have we got here mystic meg? The pension pot will the still around by the time I retire

Great - you should use that time to learn how to write coherent sentences.

• Advertisement

Great - you should use that time to learn how to write coherent sentences.

No I will be using my time now ensuring that our union get in for our deserved pay increase

Advertisement