Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

Electrician.

To be fair, I take issue with nurses looking down their noses at people with trades. If I did your job, I'd prob be ****e. We just have skills in different areas. I think tons certain extent, nurses are starting to believe their own hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭feckthisgenie

Aren’t you upset? Grow up. I’m a apprentice electrician. We work poxy hours for good pay. Same as nurses But do more physically exhausting work. would you all be ok if we decided to go on strike and should something happen we just won’t care then will we? Or how bout mechanics or any other trade out there. Will we all just go on strike because we work more hours for same pay then.

Don't worry, you will soon be riding us proper when charging what you want for jobs and earning 1-2k + a week

Miike wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you've concluded I'm upset? :confused:

You're an apprentice, in training, and want to be paid more than a qualified nurse?

But qualified nurses want to start on better money than intern doctors??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

To be fair, I take issue with nurses looking down their noses at people with trades. If I did your job, I'd prob be ****e. We just have skills in different areas. I think tons certain extent, nurses are starting to believe their own hype.

If you're referring to me I think it's important to note (a) I'm not a nurse and (b) I'm not looking down my nose at him. I'm just curious why he thinks a trainee electrician should be paid more than a qualified nurse.

Must be tough making all that tea... :pac:

To be fair, there are many nurses I work with who I wouldn't even trust to make a cup of tea without ****ing it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

Awww - Diddums got upset because his echo-chamber got ruined.

Is that the best you can do by way of response? You guys are priceless.:D

I’m a apprentice electrician. We work poxy hours for good pay. Same as nurses But do more physically exhausting work.
    not quite sure about that.

In any case, you're exhausted from wiring houses or commercial buildings. Nurses are exhausted providing necessary healthcare or saving people's lives. Hardly the same thing.

By all means, go on strike. But I think we all know where public sympathy does and does not lie.

But qualified nurses want to start on better money than intern doctors??

Interns earn 36,857
    SHO 43,897
    Reg 55,857 - 65,794
    Senior Reg 66,661 - 81,066
    Sp. Reg 66,066 - 81,066

Which of those are nurses paid more than?

If you're referring to me I think it's important to note (a) I'm not a nurse and (b) I'm not looking down my nose at him. I'm just curious why he thinks a trainee electrician should be paid more than a qualified nurse.

Not you.Just generally from hearing them talking on the wards. I can see both sides of the argument if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Must be tough making all that tea... :pac:

Tea? I work on a pharmaceutical site for a huge contractor. I’m not a scrub. I’m not domestic. Nice one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

To be fair, there are many nurses I work with who I wouldn't even trust to make a cup of tea without ****ing it up

You are really full of your own importance aren't you . Any opportunity to put down nurses because you feel more important .

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

They say the same about.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

So my job isn’t skilled or qualified or tough. Nice try sunshine.

Shelf stackers will be looking for 45k PA soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Now that the nurses are getting their pay rise, they might have a whip around to buy a new battery for Ingrid Mileys smoke alarm....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Qualified electrician comes out with about 900. If he does overtime and btw gets raped on tax. That’s feck all more than my other half. So explain again why a fully qualified electrician is making tiny bit more than someone who works in a hospital and doesn’t break their back and have to walk kilometres a day on a site and working over 60 hours a week for barely 50 quid more than a nurse that only works 3 days. Explain that. And yes nurses look down their noses at everyone that’s not in the hospital business. I know. I’ve heard them.

Interns earn 36,857
    SHO 43,897
    Reg 55,857 - 65,794
    Senior Reg 66,661 - 81,066
    Sp. Reg 66,066 - 81,066

Which of those are nurses paid more than?

Nurse contract is 37.5 hours. Intern contract is 39 hours. Under the new pay deal (if agreed) nurses will earn more than doctors per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

Nurse contract is 37.5 hours. Intern contract is 39 hours. Under the new pay deal (if agreed) nurses will earn more than doctors per hour.

That's absolutely horrifying.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You are really full of your own importance aren't you . Any opportunity to put down nurses because you feel more important .

Important? I'm not important. I could die tomorrow. They could replace me pretty easily with somebody senior level from the NHS.

That's absolutely horrifying.

I should clarify I mean intern doctors and starting off figure of 35000 euro for basic grade nurses.

I'm open to seeing the math behind that, if you please.

• Advertisement

I should clarify I mean intern doctors.

I know. An intern doctor should earn more than the highest salaried nurse, anything else is outrageous.

I don't actually agree with that sentiment. I think Dazzler has been fair in 90% of the things he's said. If anything he stimulates discussion which is the purpose of the thread and takes from the constant trolling. He pushes his profession but I think any professional does that, to some level.

I don't actually agree with that sentiment. I think Dazzler has been fair in 90% of the things he's said. If anything he stimulates discussion which is the purpose of the thread and takes from the constant trolling. He pushes his profession but I think any professional does that, to some level.
    The same Dazzler who declared that senior nurses who qualified with a diploma and not a degree were " not qualified " . I found it so disrespectful

I trained in 1972 before degree nursing . I consider myself and many colleagues very qualified and very able . Dazzler decided I was probably not capable of working on a ward . If that is not disrespectful to another person I don't know what is .

I know. An intern doctor should earn more than the highest salaried nurse, anything else is outrageous.

To be fair. I don't agree with this. An intern is newly qualified and needs hand holding. An experienced nurse is worth their weight in gold and especially ANPs if properly established should be paid reg level.

To be fair. I don't agree with this. An intern is newly qualified and needs hand holding. An experienced nurse is worth their weight in gold and especially ANPs if properly established should be paid reg level.

The interns are only hand held to an extent, they still have a huge responsibility and (IMO) should be earning more :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

iamwhoiam wrote:
    To be fair ya dont have to look too hard on social media to see some nurses inflated with self importance.

Instagram is riddled wih pictures of stethoscopes and scrubs with hashtags like #NursesSaveLives and phrases such as "Smart enough to be a doctor, chose to be a nurse".

I know nurses play a vital role in healthcare, but nurses are made out to be some sort of superhero for doing their job and every other hospital employee is a minor character.

Hospitals run like a machine 24/7. They could not do their jobs without everyone else but some seem to forget that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

They're probably fantastic nurses though.
    We all play to our strengths.

As they say in junior cert maths, show us your rough work?

To be fair ya dont have to look too hard on social media to see some nurses inflated with self importance.

Instagram is riddled wih pictures of stethoscopes and scrubs with hashtags like #NursesSaveLives and phrases such as "Smart enough to be a doctor, chose to be a nurse".

I know nurses play a vital role in healthcare, but nurses are made out to be some sort of superhero for doing their job and every other hospital employee is a minor character.

Hospitals run like a machine 24/7. They could not do their jobs without everyone else but some seem to forget that.

Well I don't agree with the sentiments above . Every single person in a hospital is important . But I would never disrespect another by declaring those with a diploma and not a degree were " unqualified "

• Advertisement

The same Dazzler who declared that senior nurses who qualified with a diploma and not a degree were " not qualified " . I found it so disrespectful.
    I trained in 1972 before degree nursing . I consider myself and many colleagues very qualified and very able . Dazzler decided I was probably not capable of working on a ward . If that is not disrespectful to another person I don't know what is .

When did I say you were not qualified? It just surprised me that it did not use to be a university degree. I never made any comment as to whether it was qualified or not.

Advertisement