Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Mwalshd2

David73 wrote: »
    Are you sure they weren't irate motorists beepin in frustration for being stuck in traffic?
    Traffic was flowing as were the friendly waves between the motorists and the nurses

mattser wrote: »
    Away outta that with ya. Sure the 2 or 3 all knowing mouths on this after hours thread say there is little or no public support. The rest of us are only imagining things.

They might want to step out of the cubicle once in a while and chat to more than just folk that agree with them to pacify them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 162 ✭✭David73

Mwalshd2 wrote: »
    They might want to step out of the cubicle once in a while and chat to more than just folk that agree with them to pacify them.

WARNING: This user is a Troll

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

How does paying nurses more improve their working conditions?
    Employ more not pay more!
    You're missing the whole point of the industrial action. You can't employ more if pay and conditions don't improve. We've 70 vacancies that we can't fill.
    David73 wrote:
    ... Physios are largely employed by the private sector.
    Most clinical people employed in private sector are paid the rate established in the public sector. There may be a few differences regarding allowances etc. but it's broadly the same. Nurses employed in the private sector are paid more or less the same as those in the public sector.

You're missing the whole point of the industrial action. You can't employ more if pay and conditions don't improve. We've 70 vacancies that we can't fill.

Most clinical people employed in private sector are paid the rate established in the public sector. There may be a few differences regarding allowances etc. but it's broadly the same. Nurses employed in the private sector are paid more or less the same as those in the public sector.

As a nurse yourself you'd hardly say no to a bitta more money!
    Did nobody tell you the salary before you signed up? Vocation my ass!

This is pure spin

Conflict of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The only people supporting the nurses are relatives and other Public Servants, salivating at the thoughts of sticking their paws into the public purse if the nurses get a settlement.

It's incumbent on the Government to face down this greedy and unjustified action on behalf of the private sector who are footing these ridiculous payments.

One can only hope we have a Government with a bit of backbone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

How does paying nurses more improve their working conditions?

Erm, because it makes it more attractive for young people to actually stay nursing in Ireland thus directly addressing the staffing crisis which in turn improves working conditions? Like it's not rocket science.

You are aware that there are 4 jobs available for every qualified nurse seeking work in the HSE? And that there is a severe under staffing crisis when it comes to nurses in the HSE?
    Employ more not pay more!

That's impossible to do if qualified nurses aren't willing to apply for jobs in the HSE and are instead moving abroad to work.

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS FACTUAL EVIDENCE!!

Where else would a nurse get paid 45 to 55k for only 6 months work experience. (9 months are in their final year)

irishjobs.ie/Jobs/Nurse-General-8283899.aspx

As a nurse yourself you'd hardly say no to a bitta more money!
    Did nobody tell you the salary before you signed up? Vocation my ass!

This is pure spin

Conflict of interest.
    Nicely deflected there David.

Now back to the point - how do you propose to employ more nurses? There is finances available to recruit but no one applying.

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS FACTUAL EVIDENCE!!

Where else would a nurse get paid 45 to 55k for only 6 months work experience. (9 months are in their final year)

irishjobs.ie/Jobs/Nurse-General-8283899.aspx

Agency work....... Lol...... Do you even know what you are posting. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭RinusLaptop76

Takes one to know one

Mwalshd2 wrote: »
    Agency work....... Lol...... Do you even know what you are posting. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
    ...and he thinks '6 months experience' is the same as 6 months experience working in Ireland.

Is it a coincidence when the country is back in boom times that the nurses come out painting a picture of them being starved and on the brink of homelessness, sleeping in cars yada yada yada God love us!

When the country is on it's knees financially, the nurses are nowhere to be seen enjoying their unsackable pensioned aboved salaried job, probably chatting about the lastest fashion at the nurses station

My relative was in hospital recently and when I visited I saw the same 3 nurses giggling and laughing standing around for 20 minute stretches at a time quite frequently. The Asian nurses were doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Is it a coincidence when the country is back in boom times that the nurses come out painting a picture of them being starved and on the brink of homelessness, sleeping in cars yada yada yada God love us!

When the country is on it's knees financially, the nurses are nowhere to be seen enjoying their unsackable pensioned aboved salaried job, probably chatting about the lastest fashion at the nurses station

My relative was in hospital recently and when I visited I saw the same 3 nurses giggling and laughing standing around for 20 minute stretches at a time quite frequently. The Asian nurses were doing their job.

dont be a drama queen now, the country isnt on its knees financially, this isnt 2007!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Hmmm, joined today. 14 posts, all on this thread...

I think we know who the troll is here... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

If things are that bad why is staff turnover in the region of 5%

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    dont be a drama queen now, the country isnt on its knees financially, this isnt 2007!

Never said it was, in fact i said the opposite

When the country is on it's knees financially, the nurses are nowhere to be seen
    On the contrary, they were busier than even with intakes of attempted suicides, overdoses and folks off their meds in times of financial hardship.

becareful there with your facts, this is a pro nurses strike thread, they don't like facts

Wanderer78 wrote: »

That's his point....read it again.
    Good to see you blow the trumpet that the country isn't on its knees though for a change.

• Advertisement

What people also seem to be forgetting is that the turnover rate is for existing staff. If a center had 1,000 positions but only 850 filled, the turnover rate is a percentage of the 'filled' posts not the total posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I watched the programme on the Rotunda hospital and I thought there was a lot of standing around chatting too.

There was no sense of understaffing anywhere, I actually thought there were a lot of staff on duty.

The whole bed blocking things needs to be sorted as a matter of urgency. You have elderly people occupying beds for months on end, possibly years on end because their families dont want to pay for nursing homes. Hospital management need to set dates that these elderly people be moved by and if they arent moved the invoices for their hospital care should be lodged against their estates to be paid once the elderly person dies. When there is no financial incentive for moving elderly people to nursing homes or back to their own homes with care funded by their families then the elderly will be left in hospital beds. We have no idea how many beds in hospitals are occupied inappropriately but the first step in dealing with not enough nurses is to do something about this nonsense.

Should oncology nurses be paid the same as threatre nurses?

Never said it was, in fact i said the opposite

once again, you will actually find the major causes of previous recessions was more to do with the private sector than the public sector, this was evident in the most recent recession with the rapid rise of private sector debt, largely in the housing sector, you will also see that we were good little boys and girls running relatively balanced budgets, in some cases, slight surpluses, leading up to the crash

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What people also seem to be forgetting is that the turnover rate is for existing staff. If a center had 1,000 positions but only 850 filled, the turnover rate is a percentage of the 'filled' posts not the total posts.

If that's the issue then the option of career breaks needs to be stopped. If people want to go and live in Australia then off with them but they'll need to give up the job here so that hiring expensive agency staff to replace them will end.

Isn't it likely a lot of nurses will return home to hold onto their permanent job here.

Augeo wrote: »
    That's his point....read it again.
    Good to see you blow the trumpet that the country isn't on its knees though for a change.

our country isnt on its knees, and ive never said that, its moving along relatively well in many respects

tretorn wrote: »
    I watched the programme on the Rotunda hospital and I thought there was a lot of standing around chatting too.

There was no sense of understaffing anywhere, I actually thought there were a lot of staff on duty.

The whole bed blocking things needs to be sorted as a matter of urgency. You have elderly people occupying beds for months on end, possibly years on end because their families dont want to pay for nursing homes. Hospital management need to set dates that these elderly people be moved by and if they arent moved the invoices for their hospital care should be lodged against their estates to be paid once the elderly person dies. When there is no financial incentive for moving elderly people to nursing homes or back to their own homes with care funded by their families then the elderly will be left in hospital beds. We have no idea how many beds in hospitals are occupied inappropriately but the first step in dealing with not enough nurses is to do something about this nonsense.

This is a very reasonable comment

No doubt you'll get the nurses saying that the Government funded RTE made that purposely to turn against the nurses and the images were photo shopped. Wha Wha Wha!!

Re the Beds issue, Good point. The whole structure of the HSE must become more efficient and stream lined and beds made available. That's how you will improve conditions!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

alloywheel wrote: »
    The nurses are overpaid as it is compared with most nurses in the world. Absenteeism is a real problem in the HSE with a rate close to 5%, much higher than the absenteeism rate in the private sector that pays them. Very few people support the nurses (apart from themselves), they lost whatever support they had when they shafted the poor cancer patients. Back to work they will go with their tail between their legs, and they should be glad to have a secure pensionable job with the probable recession / brexit coming for the rest of us, with probable job losses.

Then why is it that it is virtually impossible to retain nurses trained here, who go abroad? We have turned Irish nurses into an export rather than an asset.

"they shafted the poor cancer patients"... who they look after day and night. Yeah, right.

I've been to A&E three times this year, in Connolly and the Mater (where two nurses were abused and screamed at by a junkie who was threatening to kill himself if he was kicked out for being abusive and that it would be "their f*cking fault" if he did) - what they put up with and the conditions they are expected to work under are absolutely deplorable. I don't know how they do it, but how they do it for the money they're on is absolutely beyond me.

"Back to work they go with their tail between their legs" - says it all about you.

wiggle16 wrote: »
    Then why is it that it is virtually impossible to retain nurses trained here, who go abroad? We have turned Irish nurses into an export rather than an asset.

"they shafted the poor cancer patients"... who they look after day and night. Yeah, right.

I've been to A&E three times this year, in Connolly and the Mater (where two nurses were abused and screamed at by a junkie who was threatening to kill himself if he was kicked out for being abusive and that it would be "their f*cking fault" if he did) - what they put up with and the conditions they are expected to work under are absolutely deplorable. I don't know how they do it, but how they do it for the money they're on is absolutely beyond me.

"Back to work they go with their tail between their legs" - says it all about you.

I've seen the security Guards being abused and threatened by patients, should we then benchmark their salary with the nurses? Makes logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

wiggle16 wrote: »

Staff retention is about more than money. Having a nursing qualification is hugely sought after, where it will open job opportunities pretty much anywhere in the world.

It also helps that Irish nurses speak fluent English and that they are white. If you are a fresh graduate, would you rather travel and see the world for a number of years before you settle down.

The world has changed and labor markets with it. Paying nurses more will not make Mullingar more attractive than Melbourne to the average Irish graduate.

Advertisement