Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Masters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

tanko wrote: »
    Robertson is having some run of the balls and still struggling to win this frame.

Incredible amount of run in that frame, how he never stuck one over is beyond me. This game sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

That last frame could be huge, i dont think Robertson would have come back from 3-0 down but it's looking like 2-2 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Trump nearly always finds away to shoot himself in the foot, plain sailing 2-0 up and then gets very sloppy thats why he never has and with his age will never get to the very very top, great talent but nowhere consistent enough.. After Ronnie I love watching Trump play...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭tomoliver

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Have to watch it on mute as I just can't listen to Taylor.
    Judd trying his best to cover up the rapidly thinning hair.

Robertson would want.to cover his hair

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Shocking miss on the black there by Trump. It wasn't like he had to work the cue ball for position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

AllForIt wrote: »
    Shocking miss on the black there by Trump. It wasn't like he had to work the cue ball for position.

It was. Davis barely remarked on it. Hendry would have slaughtered him for it.

LOL at Hendry trying to get the Smyths 'heaven knows I'm miserable now' as his walk out music.

I like him a lot more now than I did when he was doing Jimmy in all those finals.

Robertson is nothing like the player he used to be I don’t think, and doubt he ever will. Needing several chances to win most of these frames, trump nothing special here but think he’ll get the job done, famous last words notwithstanding!

Robertson is nothing like the player he used to be I don’t think, and doubt he ever will. Needing several chances to win most of these frames, trump nothing special here but think he’ll get the job done, famous last words notwithstanding!

Both Trump and Robertson and even Murphy stalled. They never got much better for all the years they have been playing.

Neither playing very well but I fancy Robertson for this one. Trump seems to have lost it.

Both Trump and Robertson and even Murphy stalled. They never got much better for all the years they have been playing.

Yeah totally, robbo probably gone a bit backwards and murphy is heading for a mini-crisis way he’s going. Hard to put your finger on why they haven’t kicked on, trump has a bit more time and I’m a fan but not wholly convinced he’ll fully kick on anytime soon. Still a leap of faith required with him for me.

• Advertisement

O'Sullivan kept working on his game and got better despite all the issues

That talent alone isn't keeping him where he is now

Neither playing very well but I fancy Robertson for this one. Trump seems to have lost it.

I dunno, Robertson is prone to some very poor shots. 4-2 down now, next frame is huge now.

tomoliver wrote: »
    O'Sullivan kept working on his game and got better despite all the issues

That talent alone isn't keeping him where he is now

I do think attitude has something to do with. Trump has some strange notions when it comes to practicing, seems to think doing 2 hours every day is commendable. Robbo had some sort of video game addiction I think that can’t have helped.

I do believe today’s guys don’t put in the hard yards of the older generations and that’s part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Robertson's partner Mille has serious mental health issues that he's spoken about as affecting his ability to play to the best of his ability.

I do think attitude has something to do with. Trump has some strange notions when it comes to practicing, seems to think doing 2 hours every day is commendable. Robbo had some sort of video game addiction I think that can’t have helped.

I do believe today’s guys don’t put in the hard yards of the older generations and that’s part of it.

Could be something in that

The Higgins/Williams /Hendry generation i think had a different ethos with regards to practice.

Partly inspired by the likes of Steve Davis. The newer players reaped the rewards but probably scaled back on the effort.

Trump doesn't seem to be able to handle the big occasions no matter how hard he tries.

Could be something in that

The Higgins/Williams /Hendry generation i think had a different ethos with regards to practice.

Partly inspired by the likes of Steve Davis. The newer players reaped the rewards but probably scaled back on the effort.

Just a theory anyway. I do hear it said that they don’t need to practice so diligently anymore because there’s so many tournaments but that has the smell of cop out to me.

I dunno, Robertson is prone to some very poor shots. 4-2 down now, next frame is huge now.

I meant I don't think Trump is up to it regardless of how badly Robertson is playing.

Why does Dennis Taylor use the table or a kick as an excuse for every pot that is missed?
    Most of the missed pots are unforgivable.

Whatever is lacking in trump I don’t have him down as a bottler. His record against ronnie for example is 4-4 over their last 8 meetings (excluding league) and 3 of those defeats came in deciders (for good or bad). That suggests to me he’s up for the big occasion, but maybe it’s when he’s expected to win that’s the issue. Tends to lose a bit to lesser players like Rory McLeod.

• Advertisement

Why does Dennis Taylor use the table or a kick as an excuse for every pot that is missed?
    Most of the missed pots are unforgivable.

Standard bbc default position, of these players ever miss it has to be because of bad contact as they’re just all too brilliant to miss otherwise;-)

Taylor used to take about 10 minutes over every shot if memory serves

A load of drama when he missed too

He was funny for while though back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Robertson's partner Mille has serious mental health issues that he's spoken about as affecting his ability to play to the best of his ability.

Think he battled depression himself when he was younger.

It is a scrappy old game, but whoever wins it might still produce a better performance tommorow, you never know. It's a different day as Davis was saying.

Shot of the tournament there from judd to put robbo behind brown, has all the shots when he chooses to use them!

Taylor used to take about 10 minutes over every shot if memory serves

A load of drama when he missed too

He was funny for while though back in the day

Ah don’t remember him being that bad to be honest. I was a higgins fan but I did admire taylor for what he got out of his limited talent. The frank carson routine got tiring quite quickly though! Can’t take his commentary at all.

Poor break off shot by Robertson. I hope he doesn't loose it because of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

So it's Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Judd Trump tomorrow. Ronnie playing in his 13th Masters final and Trump in his first.

First session (first 8 frames) is at 1pm. Then to a finish at 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Trump doesn't seem to be able to handle the big occasions no matter how hard he tries.

And yet he's the President of the Free World. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

I can see Trump getting the job done today. I think all things considered, Trump has been performing at the highest level this week, last night notwithstanding. It's his to lose. Would love to see Ronnie taking his 8th though.

• Advertisement

I’d be doubtful trump would get the job done on how he’s played so far this week, particularly on last nights evidence, but he has no fear taking on ronnie so wouldn’t surprise me to see him go close. Overall record is 12-11 to ronnie and I don’t imagine there’s any other player who can boast a better record against the goat. It’s 5-3 to trump in finals too which makes for even better reading. Bookies going 2/1 and that seems a tad generous to me.

Advertisement