Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Masters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

mad stuff here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That was fun while it lasted

• Registered Users Posts: 16,012 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Well done Ding. That was very entertaining. That would have possibly been the best maximum, had he made it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

That was brilliant from Ding

Should have made it really, shot for position on last red was very clumsy. Had all the heavy lifting done at that point.

• Advertisement

We have a match at least, didn’t see this coming at the interval

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well that was entertaining. Probably the best ever missed 147. What a black with the rest.

This match has completely changed.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Well that was entertaining. Probably the best ever missed 147. What a black with the rest.

This match has completely changed.

Remember Ken's missed 147 with just the very last black ball left at the World Championship. I think it was back when the £147,000 prize was still on offer.

sligeach wrote: »
    Remember Ken's missed 147 with just the very last black ball left at the World Championship. I think it was back when the £147,000 prize was still on offer.

Yes I do , watched it live on TV. I fell out my seat to the floor when he missed it. Your right to mention that one. I think he missed out on a sports car as well.

Ronnie was so lucky to scrape over the line in this frame.

• Advertisement

sligeach wrote: »
    Ronnie was so lucky to scrape over the line in this frame.

?

Big ask for ding to win that, needing at least 2 pinks off remaining 3 reds, colours awkward too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ronnie looking very sluggish. Ding could still win this.

Ronnie does look to have gone off the boil but that’s another real careless shot from ding, just far too many of those.

Difference between very good player (ding) and a great one on show here - cue ball on a string, just makes it look so simple. Even during that near 147 ding never evinced the same control.

Had this match been best of 17 it might have been a bit closer and thus a bit more exciting. The problem is the matches are so short there isn't time to get into a comeback. Really don't like these best of 11's especially in a semi-final.

The BBC going OTT on the nostalgia. I like a bitta nostalgia but not bucket loads. Unfortunately it shows that they know full well the age demographic of the snooker audience i.e fairly old, which doesn't bode well for the future of the game.

The BBC going OTT on the nostalgia. I like a bitta nostalgia but not bucket loads. Unfortunately it shows that they know full well the age demographic of the snooker audience i.e fairly old, which doesn't bode well for the future of the game.

They've always done that though. Remember "David Vine Remembers"?

I remember them doing a video packages in the early to mid 90s. Have them on an old VHS tape somewhere.

The Nal wrote: »
    They've always done that though. Remember "David Vine Remembers"?

I remember them doing a video packages in the early to mid 90s. Have them on an old VHS tape somewhere.

Actually no I don't not that I doubt you and I accept the BBC have always done the nostalgia bit but they seem to be ramping it up more and more every year.

The point I am making actually is that the point of nostalgia is that one has to remember it in the first place for it to be nostalgia thus the snooker audience is quite old and I suggest snooker is not that hot in the under 30 demographic anymore as we might like it to be and thus thats a worry for the future of snooker.

Actually no I don't not that I doubt you and I accept the BBC have always done the nostalgia bit but they seem to be ramping it up more and more every year.

The point I am making actually is that the point of nostalgia is that one has to remember it in the first place for it to be nostalgia thus the snooker audience is quite old and I suggest snooker is not that hot in the under 30 demographic anymore as we might like it to be and thus thats a worry for the future of snooker.

Oh no question about that yeah. Ronnie describing Ding as the "youngun".

I consider myself an old snooker traditionalist and always relished the bbc coverage, but last few years I’ve gone right off it. I like Virgo personally but fact is, take Hendry out of it and I think you’re left with nothing much. They seem more interested in promoting Barry Hearns best ever era for snooker agenda than offering truly honest worthwhile analysis. To me anyway. And all that nostalgia is really just cheap filler. Yes, they’ve always done it but they used to do a lot more interesting and topical stuff too which they seem to be abandoning. The staged intros with hendry and davis I find cheesy and dull. Long story short, I find eurosport overall a far more impressive and incisive package and no fcking red button in sight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I consider myself an old snooker traditionalist and always relished the bbc coverage, but last few years I’ve gone right off it. I like Virgo personally but fact is, take Hendry out of it and I think you’re left with nothing much. They seem more interested in promoting Barry Hearns best ever era for snooker agenda than offering truly honest worthwhile analysis. To me anyway. And all that nostalgia is really just cheap filler. Yes, they’ve always done it but they used to do a lot more interesting and topical stuff too which they seem to be abandoning. The staged intros with hendry and davis I find cheesy and dull. Long story short, I find eurosport overall a far more impressive and incisive package and no fcking red button in sight!

Yeah I only watch the Eurosport coverage these days. Enjoy the lads doing the shots on the table etc. They all seem to get along and there's a bit of a laugh.

Really enjoying this week's snooker, Trump V Robertson should be good this evening. I'll be cheering on Trump anyway.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Yeah I only watch the Eurosport coverage these days. Enjoy the lads doing the shots on the table etc. They all seem to get along and there's a bit of a laugh.

Really enjoying this week's snooker, Trump V Robertson should be good this evening. I'll be cheering on Trump anyway.

Yeah the banter can be good, though not much a fan of that Murray guy when he’s on to be honest, but it’s the discussions that really impress me. Jimmy, ronnie when he’s on, Foulds are just different class to me and more likely to tell things as they are. You can tell guys like Foulds and White are on the circuit all year, soaking it up, unlike, say, Parrott who seems to come out with the same old timeworn cliches whenever the bbc are on air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Trump/Robertson underway now, with Taylor and Davis commenting for the BBC.

No surprise Hendry loves that, the greatest ever player, especially in his prime. One chance, made a decisive break and won the frame. He was a machine. Ronnie didn't win a single frame today in one visit. All tournament, he's been pretty much like this.

Yeah the banter can be good, though not much a fan of that Murray guy when he’s on to be honest, but it’s the discussions that really impress me. Jimmy, ronnie when he’s on, Foulds are just different class to me and more likely to tell things as they are. You can tell guys like Foulds and White are on the circuit all year, soaking it up, unlike, say, Parrott who seems to come out with the same old timeworn cliches whenever the bbc are on air.

I'd have Murray to Irvine any day. Hazel is so clinical, she does a great job of pretending that she understands snooker but we know from experience the topics she brings up in discussion are directed from the retired players in studio in advance. At least Murray has a rudimentary understanding of snooker and that's quite good as he'll ask lay man questions which opens up an interesting discussion with the pros.

I do enjoy Hendry and Davis on the BBC though, especially Hendry in game commentary.

I love snooker on the Beeb. I love the Beeb in general. Its one of the UKs great achievements.

I'd have Murray to Irvine any day. Hazel is so clinical, she does a great job of pretending that she understands snooker but we know from experience the topics she brings up in discussion are directed from the retired players in studio in advance. At least Murray has a rudimentary understanding of snooker and that's quite good as he'll ask lay man questions which opens up an interesting discussion with the pros.

I do enjoy Hendry and Davis on the BBC though, especially Hendry in game commentary.

I just don’t like davis for various reasons but it’s all about opinions really. Sometimes with Murray I get impression he feels he has to be smart or funny all the time - was he a stand up at one point in time? - and I find that a bit grating after a while. Goldstein can be the same too, mind you. But that’s just a quibble really, I find their coverage exemplary overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Have to watch it on mute as I just can't listen to Taylor.
    Judd trying his best to cover up the rapidly thinning hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

For me Eurosport gives the best coverage of the game followed by ITV4 and trailing last the BBC, the BBC have gone very stale the last few years, apart from Hendry, the same old dinosaurs singing from the same hymn sheet that they were using 25 years ago, Eurosport is light years ahead and ITV4 is also very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Robertson is having some run of the balls and still struggling to win this frame.

Advertisement