Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA ad on unaccompanied L drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Her not driving unaccompanied would have

You can't say that if she was accompanied it wouldn't have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,045 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Stheno wrote: »
    I think it like the drunk driver ad are very appropriate tbh.

I'd like to see that learner driver charged appropriately

What was she charged with?

Also did she drive off or get help after the crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How do you know being unaccompanied would have prevented the accident? I find nothing more distracting than yapping passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

road_high wrote: »
    Lot of our rural (Non national) routes have almost nothing in terms of crash barriers etc and are absolutely littered with dangerous, lethal obstacles like trees, walls, banks etc
    Course it would cost tens of millions in safety measures to address all these so the easy, cheap option is focus on the driver rather than addressing both.

Why don't "they" do that then, bit by bit - it'd also provide employment**

** i'm not talking about letting 3 lads off in a truck full of tarmac n tea for the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    You can't say that if she was accompanied it wouldn't have happened.

He can’t say if the wall was repaired it wouldn’t have either. We don’t have sliding doors vision

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Dangerous driving banned for 15 years.

No idea about the aftermath of the crash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

She shouldn't have been driving alone.

Has her father ever publicly spoken on the issue as it was he who gave her his car and permitted her to drive unaccompanied? I’ve just seen that ad on tv in the last few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

The ad to me is in more bad taste than anything. I'm from the same general area as this man. The man has been bitter ever since the incident. It is well known around the area that he has fallen out with the girl's family. Both families are closeby neighbours and were friendly before the accident. The man has openly spoke out about this girl's wrongdoings and how terrible it was that she was on the road that day. He's been harking on about it ever since. In my opinion, he's using this current RSA campaign just to twist the knife even more and make this girl and her family's lives a misery.

I think the RSA and Department of Transport need to be more pro active with their campaigning and their actions. I do think they really need to stamp down on the amount of unaccompanied Learner drivers in order to avoid similar incidents in the future. Using this bitter campaign doesn't do it for me.

Also, I do have great sympathy for the man. It must be an awful ordeal and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

And what of the family who have to live without a wife and mother and daughter for ever?

The unaccompanied driver was a young girl. She took one of those risks that most young people take, like we all did.
    Hitching a lift to save the train fare. Smoking a joint in the college toilets. Unprotected sex with a one night stand. Buying knock off gear from a guy in a van. She did the wrong thing and she’s been punished and her family have been punished and her life is never going to be anyway right.
    The bereaved man will never recover from this but persecuting this girl is never ever going to help him in any way.
    There is no closure in this case. For anyone.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I can’t provide a link (new) but google the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Why is there a gap in the wall ?

cos someone else went through it probably

splinter65 wrote: »
    The unaccompanied driver was a young girl. She took one of those risks that most young people take, like we all did.
    Hitching a lift to save the train fare. Smoking a joint in the college toilets. Unprotected sex with a one night stand. Buying knock off gear from a guy in a van. She did the wrong thing and she’s been punished and her family have been punished and her life is never going to be anyway right.
    The bereaved man will never recover from this but persecuting this girl is never ever going to help him in any way.

She has been punished for breaking the law. That is sufficient imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

She got a 3 year suspended jail sentence as well and was on work experience in some legal firm or something to do with law at the time of the accident.

The ad to me is in more bad taste than anything. I'm from the same general area as this man. The man has been bitter ever since the incident. It is well known around the area that he has fallen out with the girl's family. Both families are closeby neighbours and were friendly before the accident. The man has openly spoke out about this girl's wrongdoings and how terrible it was that she was on the road that day. He's been harking on about it ever since. In my opinion, he's using this current RSA campaign just to twist the knife even more and make this girl and her family's lives a misery.

I think the RSA and Department of Transport need to be more pro active with their campaigning and their actions. I do think they really need to stamp down on the amount of unaccompanied Learner drivers in order to avoid similar incidents in the future. Using this bitter campaign doesn't do it for me.

Also, I do have great sympathy for the man. It must be an awful ordeal and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. R.I.P.

He’s makibg her life a misery? Oh the irony

gctest50 wrote: »
    Why don't "they" do that then, bit by bit - it'd also provide employment**

** i'm not talking about letting 3 lads off in a truck full of tarmac n tea for the day

Because our road network is totally underfunded- the govt prefer waste money funded from motor related taxes elsewhere rather that into roads where it should be going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

And he's dead right too. She should never be let forget.

She killed his family, what's he meant to do? Invite the family round for tea and a hug every day? Wise up and join the real world.

Human beings haven’t an aura of infallibility around then- surely you do realize that if you worked assessing insurance claims?
    Hence why we often have barriers and controls around as a safety net when human judgement fails

Yes but you can’t hsve 100% perfect roads

splinter65 wrote: »

Unless you have been convicted in a court of the offence of hers statute you can’t say we all did it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

It's dangerous driving causing death which is a completely different charge.

Patww79 wrote: »
    And he's dead right too. She should never be let forget.

She killed his family, what's he meant to do? Invite the family round for tea and a hug every day? Wise up and join the real world.

Vengeance in these type of cases won’t bring his family or help him. That eventually eats people up. She didn’t deliberately kill them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

She got a 3 year suspended jail sentence as well and was on work experience in some legal firm or something to do with law at the time of the accident.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/grief-at-the-limits-of-human-endurance-caused-by-cork-crash-that-killed-mother-and-daughter-765137.html

Vengeance in these type of cases won’t bring his family or help him. That eventually eats people up. She didn’t deliberately kill them

Doesn't mean she deserves an easy ride for it. She still killed them from deliberately doing something she shouldn't have been.

Berating the man who lost his family for falling out with hers though? Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

And if it had been a qualified driver that was responsible? I'm sure his grief would have been just the same.

No, that would have been murder with mandatory life sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I'm from the locality and loads of people are sick of this ad and they feel Shane Ross/RSA had an agenda and used this guy even members of the emergency services who'd have being involved in dealing with the aftermath are tired of it.
    They feel that there is a need to deal with learner drivers/etc and have a new approach to it in Ireland but they could go a better ways of dealing with it.
    There's also questions such as why wasn't the wall repaired, the flood drained, etc and they very controversial question did he leave any of his children drive unaccompanied?

Funny that, the feeling I've heard is anger towards the local media in particular the imokilly people for their refusal to cover different events this man has had since his wife and child died.
    Also, the fact that the unaccompanied driver can still now go on and practise law has people wanting an increased penalty for this crime.

I was quite taken aback by the quite visceral tone of the ad. Not sure what it really achieved, dredging that all up on national tv.
    The Portarlington advert re the drunk driver was completely different as that scum bag made the choice to drive pissed off hid head, crashed and left a family for dead at the scene.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Doesn't mean she deserves an easy ride for it. She still killed them from deliberately doing something she shouldn't have been.

Berating the man who lost his family for falling out with hers though? Christ.

Do you think it’s an “easy ride” for her?
    Christ is right.

I was quite taken aback by the quite visceral tone of the ad. Not sure what it really achieved, dredging that all up on national tv.
    The Portarlington advert re the drunk driver was completely different as that scum bag made the choice to drive pissed off hid head, crashed and left a family for dead at the scene.

I must have missed the bit where she didn't know she should have been accompanied?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

He’s makibg her life a misery? Oh the irony

What is he gaining from persecuting her? She didn’t leave the house intending to kill his wife and daughter. She’s been punished and she continues to be punished every day. He’s clearly eaten alive with bitterness and it’s doubtful his sense of gross injustice will ever be satisfied. Sadly that’s going to slowly eat him alive from the inside out. I have witnessed this in my own family.
    I have also witnessed what peace and reconciliation forgiveness can bring.

Advertisement